Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
AC Milan should always be 4312.

God bless Berlusconi

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Best formation now is 4312 no other choice
All formation with single forward doesn't fit us now. We have Kalinic, Silva, Cutrone and Suso able to play. Borini is always last last choice. So we have to at least play two forward. AM Cahanoglu LCM Bonaventura RCM Kessie DM Biglia. Currently best choice. LB Rodriguez RB Conti (now we have to play Abate) DF Musacchio Bonucci (Romagnoli as first backup.)

AC Milan should always be 4312.

God bless Berlusconi

Like this?

Kalinic - Suso/Silva
Hakan
Bona - Biglia - Kessie
RR - Romag - Bon - Abate
Dolla​

With Suso and RR it will inevitably end up like the 4-3-3/3-4-3 of last season, with RR(previously DES) as the LB/LCB, Bona as LCM/LM and Hakan as LW/CAM. That outcome won't necessarily turn out bad, but isn't this the system most of you absolutely couldn't stand?

With two actual CFs it will be a shitshow with close to zero wide defensive support for FBs and a lightweight midfield-three appearing even weaker.

bluenine

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I go back to my point earlier, Milan had a great mercato in defence and midfield, but their spend in attack was very confused.

Milan spend allured 80m on Silva, Kalinic and Hakan to add to Suso, Bona and Cutrone. Thats a lot of money, so it wasn't a lack of funds. What I can't understand is what was the plan? The only formations that make sense based on the transfers are 3-4-1-2 or a 3-4-2-1, but did Milan buy wisely in attack to suit these formations?

For 3-4-2-1 to work, it requires a world class, physical monster upfront who can hold up the ball and create a nuisance for the opposing defence. Someone like a Costa or a Drogba. Neither Silva nor Kalinic have that kind of presence.

IMO 3-4-1-2 is a bit dated formation, and the only way it works is if you have a world class fantasista or creative forward, someone like Dybala or Baggio or Kaka. Suso ain't that. If Milan were planning this, they should have focussed most of their spend to get a player like that. Maybe Sanchez could have worked.

Buying a pure centre forward like Kalinic only makes sense if you have good wingers in a 3-4-3 or 4-2-3-1 kind of formation. Milan didn't buy those either, even though there were many quality players on the market like Salah, Bernardeschi, Mahrez, etc.

While I think F&M bought very well in defence and midfield where its clear what roles each new player is supposed to have, the attack is very confused and the money could have been spent better. Its not that the players are bad, its just that the players do not suit any of the systems Milan can deploy.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Just try a 3-4-3. Thats the best formation we can hope for at this point conisdering our colossal fuckup to get a top CF and LW and blowing all our cash on a CB that was not needed(regardless of how 'WC' he is) and a youth prospect.

Hakan - Kalinic - Suso

RR - Biglia - Kessie - Abate/Calabria

Roma - Bonucci - Musacchio

Donnarumma

Are the wings slow? yep they are. But we arent exactly blessed with quick players in the squad (sold or let go of the few that we had). The sales of Niang and Kucka (heck, even Berto) without getting proper replacements looks even more ******ed at this point.

I mean we have three fucking midfielders who can only play at CDM (mediocre anywhere else). Not to mention no LWB despite buying a RWB and Bonucci (who apparently can only fuckin excel in a 3 CB formation with ultra protection). Kept a couple of useless fodders such as Mauri who contribute absolutely nothing. And yeah, on top of that we play in 3 competitions - go figure.

But nope, according to some we have had a 10/10 mercato because apparently buying a bunch of players (regardless of whether they suit us or not) equals to a perfect mercato.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Just try a 3-4-3. Thats the best formation we can hope for at this point conisdering our colossal fuckup to get a top CF and LW and blowing all our cash on a CB that was not needed(regardless of how 'WC' he is) and a youth prospect.

Hakan - Kalinic - Suso

RR - Biglia - Kessie - Abate/Calabria

Roma - Bonucci - Musacchio

Donnarumma

Are the wings slow? yep they are. But we arent exactly blessed with quick players in the squad (sold or let go of the few that we had). The sales of Niang and Kucka (heck, even Berto) without getting proper replacements looks even more ******ed at this point.

I mean we have three fucking midfielders who can only play at CDM (mediocre anywhere else). Not to mention no LWB despite buying a RWB and Bonucci (who apparently can only fuckin excel in a 3 CB formation with ultra protection). Kept a couple of useless fodders such as Mauri who contribute absolutely nothing. And yeah, on top of that we play in 3 competitions - go figure.

But nope, according to some we have had a 10/10 mercato because apparently buying a bunch of players (regardless of whether they suit us or not) equals to a perfect mercato.

:star::star::star::thumbsup:
This is why I was so desperate to get Aubameyang. They tried to get Kalinic to play off the edge of the defender's shoulder but he just couldn't get away. A rocket like Aubameyang would have had a better chance as well as the knock on effect of making more space for the SS.

Having a genuine world class forward makes a world of difference (obvious I know). There's nobody on our team with this kind of pace...and having lost both Niang and Deulofeu we needed someone to with speed in the attack to break up defensive lines like we saw yesterday.

You can have a team without fast players like the Juventus that won the scudetto with 0 fast players other than Needed....but then you need to have a level of quality in midfield that we simply don't have

jasiom

AC Milan Capitan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini (always), Ambrosini, Pato, Huntelaar.
In Gattuso's place, (at this moment) I would go for:

-------------------------------Higuain------------------------------- (MUST SELL: Kalinic, first and foremost)
----Bonaventura------------(CUTRONE ON)----------------Suso------- (SELL: Bacca)
--(ANDRE SILVA ON)---------------------------------(Tsadjout,Borini)- (use Borini, as last resort, behind Cutro, Silva, Bernard..)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- (possibly buy PATO for/in Borini's place, as winger)
-------------Calhanoglu--------------------------Kessie-------------- (SELL: Bertolacci) yes, Jack on wing, Hakan in the middle.
--------------(Bernard)---------Biglia-----------(Locatelli)------------ (SUB: Locatelli to close games)
------------------------------(J.Mauri)------------------------------- (SUB: Bernard to add creativity when needed)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- (Give Jose Mauri a propper chance)
-R.Rodruguez--------Romagnoli,(c)------CALDARA-----------Conti----- (rotate Musacchio in, if in better form than now..)
---(Strinic)-----------(Zapata)--------(Musacchio)-------(Calabria)--- (KEEP: Gabbia, loan out Halilovic)
--------------------------------------------------------------------- (LET GO: Abate & Antonelli, with honour)
--------------------------------REINA-------------------------------- (keep the squad compact, max.26 players)
---------------------------(G.Donnarumma)--------------------------- (KEEP: Plizzari)

Last edited:

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
4-4-2

Donnarumma
Calabria, Caldara, Romagnoli, Strinic
Suso, Kessie, Bakayoko/SMS, Bona/Calha
Bacca, Higuain

or 4-3-1-2 with my dream in rossonero... Luis Alberto

Donnarumma
Calabria, Caldara, Romagnoli, Strinic
Kessie, Biglia, Bakayoko
Luis Alberto
Bacca, Higuain

:b:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pato, Kaka, Pirlo, HAKAN!
4-2-3-1

-----------------Donnarumma--------------
Conti ------Caldara------Roma---------Strinic
-----------------Bakayoko------Hakan--------
Suso-----------------Paq---------Sami?
-------------------Cutrone------------------

subs: Kessie, Calabria,
I think we just need a LW and a backup striker. Lozano would be nice.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
4-3-1-2

Donnarumma

Conti - Caldara - Romagnoli - Rodriguez

Kessie - Bakayoko - Calhanoglu

Paqueta

Suso - Cutrone

jasiom

AC Milan Capitan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
---------------------------------------------------------------
-------------Cutrone-----------------------Piątek-------------- (A.Silva back from loan)
-------------(A.Silva)-------Paquetá-------(Suso)--------------
----------------------------(Borinho)---------------------------
---------------Bakayoko-----------------Kessié----------------- (Jack)
---------------------------Çalhanoğlu---------------------------
-Rodriguez----------------------------------------------Conti---
-----------------Romagnoli------------Caldara------------------- (Musacchio)
----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------Donnarumma--------------------------

-----------------------------Piątek----------------------------- (Cutrone)
-----Paquetá--------------------------------------Suso--------
---------------------------Çalhanoğlu---------------------------
-----------------Bakayoko-------------Kessié------------------- (Jack)
-Rodriguez----------------------------------------------Conti---
-----------------Romagnoli------------Caldara------------------- (Musacchio)
--------------------------Donnarumma--------------------------

PS: Need to buy third forward (or keep Andre Silva) and most important buy a central defensive playmaker (Pirlo, Veratti, Tonali type) - not wingers! keep Castillejo.

Last edited:

jurinius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Cafu Boban Pirlo Inzaghi Shevchenko Leonardo Van Basten Ambrosini
- 4 3 3 - Because it is the only stable formation we can use now, and this formation can deliver better than today with a better coach.

-----Paqueta ------- Piatek (Patrick) ------- Samu (Suso)

-------Hakan(Jack) ----- Bakay (Biglia) ----- Kessié

RicRod -- Romagnoli -- Zapata (Caldara) -- Conti (Calabria)

Up skilled wingers needed (Everton + Malcom if you sell Suso will be fine) and another Midfield player (Tonali can be a good catch But ..... But ... without trust between players the team will always looks shit. An anchor is god when there's movement around him so he can pick the right place to play the ball).

makcoul

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Guys, Hello to all of you!
I know preferred GP formation is 4-3-1-2 and it looks quite obvious that this formation is giving very good prospects for incoming season.
The thing is for this formation to be really successful, we will need in my opinion to spend in another attacker like Correa the management is trying to bring, with almost 50M to spend. So I was thinking after the few pre-season matchs, with the players we have, if that wouldn't be better to use Carlo's Christmas tree formation with Paqueta and Suso playing Kaka-Seedorf role just behind the single forward Piatek or Leao.
This would give us a really strong middlefield with on my preference:

...................Piatek/Leao
.............Paqueta - Suso

.....Benacer Hakan Bonaventura

Krunic, Kessie, Borini as good subs, with possibility to play Benacer in the middle. Then let's sell Biglia as very slow and always playing behind.

This will then allow us to have the 50M to save or to spend on RB or a very good CM playmaker...
Just some thoughts I wanted to share. And during some games, when we need to go all attack, we can sub one AM for Castillejo...

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I'd like to see us try to learn the 4-4-2 diamond midfield formation.

Starting team
---------------------Gigio
-Calabria--Kjaer--Romagnoli--Theo
---‐‐---------------Tonali
------Bennacer---------Kessie
----------------------Hakan
--------------Ibra------------Rebic

B team
----------Tatarusanu
--Kalulu--Tomori--Gabbia--Dalot
--------------------Meite
---------Saelem------Krunic
------------------Brahim/Samu
-------------Leao---------Mandzukic

I like the current formation but it needs a lot of intensity and pressing. With the busy schedule you get burned out playing like this for the full 90 mins. The team needs to learn also how to defend deep and hit the counter attacks. We have the players to play this way in a diamond midfield, because our two fullbacks are good at going forward and they would have an open lane. The centre backs are slow so they like to play deep. You also put Tonali in his favoured position and you can benefit from the African duo to control the advanced mid. One of the two centre forwards roams right and left into the attacking space and the other occupies the opponents penalty area and the attacking mid operated between the lines and shoots from a distance by playing off the two forwards.

Last edited:

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
Lots of talk about a change of formation and amongst those rumored includes a 3-5-2... I'd hate to move to a 3 man backline. For some reason, I see 4 man backline as a heritage piece of Milan tactics, despite being old enough to remember the Zaccheroni scudetto season.

I should be more open to change and evolution considering the recent turn of form, that with a completely different philosophy than that of old.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
The change for the 3 man defense should have been made like a month ago. Our left side is a disaster.

Does anyone knows how the team trained today?

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see us try to learn the 4-4-2 diamond midfield formation.

Starting team
---------------------Gigio
-Calabria--Kjaer--Romagnoli--Theo
---‐‐---------------Tonali
------Bennacer---------Kessie
----------------------Hakan
--------------Ibra------------Rebic

B team
----------Tatarusanu
--Kalulu--Tomori--Gabbia--Dalot
--------------------Meite
---------Saelem------Krunic
------------------Brahim/Samu
-------------Leao---------Mandzukic

I like the current formation but it needs a lot of intensity and pressing. With the busy schedule you get burned out playing like this for the full 90 mins. The team needs to learn also how to defend deep and hit the counter attacks. We have the players to play this way in a diamond midfield, because our two fullbacks are good at going forward and they would have an open lane. The centre backs are slow so they like to play deep. You also put Tonali in his favoured position and you can benefit from the African duo to control the advanced mid. One of the two centre forwards roams right and left into the attacking space and the other occupies the opponents penalty area and the attacking mid operated between the lines and shoots from a distance by playing off the two forwards.

Totally agree with you. Currently its so easy to neutralize Milan because you just need to press high and force Ibra deep, block our left side and attack the space behind Theo

jasiom

AC Milan Capitan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
-----------------Leao---------------------Giroud----------------
--------------------------De Ketelaere--------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------Adli/Pobega--------Tonali--------Bennacer------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---Theo-----------Tomori------------Kalulu---------Calabria---
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------Maignan-----------------------------

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
The change for the 3 man defense should have been made like a month ago. Our left side is a disaster.

Does anyone knows how the team trained today?
This left side cost us the scudetto in 21.

After benched Romagnoli, scudetto win in 22.

My prefered formation is always with 2 strikers, is our dna. Leão moving around a striker, takes a lot of pratice, but would fit us better. Forget about this wingers thing, and lets get back to powerfull fullbacks.

Last edited:

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This left side cost us the scudetto in 21.

After benched Romagnoli, scudetto win in 22.

My prefered formation is always with 2 strikers, is our dna. Leão moving around a striker, takes a lot of pratice, but would fit us better. Forget about this wingers thing, and lets get back to powerfull fullbacks.
Maignan
Singo..Milenkovic..Tomori..Theo
Bennacer..Tonali..Alberto
???
Giroud..Leão

I dont have in mind a trequartista andante with a reasonable price.. But if... with a lot of money i would like to see Bruno Fernandes, Bernando in that position.

jasiom

AC Milan Capitan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
After the sale of Tonali, Kalulu or Calabria should step into a devensive midfielder position - this would be my solution for the headache in the midfield, to minimize the disruption, the only other even more unlikely option would be to buy back Kessie from Barcelona.

Giroud and Kjaer should take up the rolet of Ibra and Maldini in the dressing room. daniel Maldini should stay.