Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Back injury.

And Jon Jones?

idiot :fp: trains like a maniac. not the first time

exactly, jon jones vs sonnen of all people

imo a champ should step vs anyone (as long as there's been a camp)

who did he turn down?

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
idiot :fp: trains like a maniac. not the first time

exactly, jon jones vs sonnen of all people

imo a champ should step vs anyone (as long as there's been a camp)

who did he turn down?

Miocic.

And yea AKA train like maniacs, imagine the wars that him and DC goes through. This time is back issue, and to be honest, I am not so sure Cain will ever be "back" from these nagging injuries.

Thing is, for a champ to change his camp (a pretty big deal) this close to a fight and have to prepare for a different fighter whereas the late replacement has been ready training the whole time. I get what you are saying, but this thing is an investment and you have to protect your investment in yourself. Why take that risk and risk injury, and potentially more money (if you lose the fight, the sponsorships and all that) when you can just call it off (technically he had an "injury") and prepare for a different event?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
i hear you.

but this is the fighting business, just feels weird when a champ backs down.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
he went up a division ffs

he'll fight edgar next i think, win or lose vs rda

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
he went up a division ffs

he'll fight edgar next i think, win or lose vs rda

Conner is confirmed to walk around at least 175, going up in a division for more money and fame than fighting the deserved challenger in Edgar (tough stylistic match up) isn't really that much of a "sacrifice".

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Conner is confirmed to walk around at least 175, going up in a division for more money and fame than fighting the deserved challenger in Edgar (tough stylistic match up) isn't really that much of a "sacrifice".

true true, i agree that he should have defended his belt before going up. it's just edgar left for him in that division anyway. but he didn't really "back down", he just took another fight.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
ufc.com :conf:

26eb28e1adde1189cc4b8137e773c10b.png

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
true true, i agree that he should have defended his belt before going up. it's just edgar left for him in that division anyway. but he didn't really "back down", he just took another fight.

I'm just messing, I get what you are saying.

I'm just saying fighters will choose whatever is the bigger payday, and in Werdum and Jones' case, they just looked at the long haul.

ufc.com :conf:
[/IMG]

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/1/2...m-reacts-to-backlash-after-ufc-196-withdrawal

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/01/after-losing-headliner-ufc-196-shifts-from-pay-per-view-to-fox-sports-1

Also already changed on Sherdog.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/UFC-196-Hendricks-vs-Thompson-47929

UFC.com really isn't that good of a site for news and stuff, I personally never check them and use Sherdog a lot more (carried on PRIDE days).

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Damn, I guess it's too soon for an interim belt in that division. But it would have been awesome. Jones has nothing to prove in LHW anyway, let Cormier keep his belt for a while and when he retires / declines, Gustaffson can take over :D

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn, I guess it's too soon for an interim belt in that division. But it would have been awesome. Jones has nothing to prove in LHW anyway, let Cormier keep his belt for a while and when he retires / declines, Gustaffson can take over :D

:lol:

if it ain't jones or DC

it's this guy

Anthony%2BJohnson%2BKnocks%2BDown%2BAlexander%2BGustafsson%2BUFC%2Bon%2BFox%2B14%2BStockholm.gif

inb4baderbeatshim

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
He hits so fucking hard :lol:

But he's the type of fighter you can game plan your way through. I think Gustafsson would win a rematch. Great fight nonetheless.

Is it just me or are the LHW's not so active?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it just me or are the LHW's not so active?

old/no rising threats

problem is HW is far worse, jones would have 2-3 fights* there and be done with that division.

*if those fuckers can even make it without being injured:lol::lol:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah, ufc has never had a deep HW division, and LHW has been on and off for a long time. Mostly off.

Maybe mixed martial arts isn't a big man's sport. Not enough talent comes through there in the heavy divisions.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I hope he's worked on his cardio and ground game, I'm a fan of AJ.

I'm also a fan of his, wouldn't mind him getting the title.

But sadly, I think he's type of fighter who before every fight says that he's had a "whole new approach", "never had such a good camp" etc. Just to gas in the second round.

Rampage comes to mind. Never trained as good as the top guys.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I hope he's worked on his cardio and ground game, I'm a fan of AJ.

He's actually a decent wrestler, but cardio, gameplanning, and mental toughness has always been his Achilles heel

old/no rising threats

problem is HW is far worse, jones would have 2-3 fights* there and be done with that division.

*if those fuckers can even make it without being injured:lol::lol:

Yeah, ufc has never had a deep HW division, and LHW has been on and off for a long time. Mostly off.

Maybe mixed martial arts isn't a big man's sport. Not enough talent comes through there in the heavy divisions.

With heavyweights, they are so big that even a not so well placed punch hurts. And rolling or wrestling with legit heavyweights? :eek::eek::eek:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
agreed, but jones will be facing off against cain who is past his best, werdum who's nearly 40.

I like stipe, but I don't think jones would have any issues with him.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah, there's so much a mixed martial artist must be good at, and then there's cardio. These big guys can't handle it.

HW is basically a boxing / kickboxing division.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, there's so much a mixed martial artist must be good at, and then there's cardio. These big guys can't handle it.

HW is basically a boxing / kickboxing division.

I sitll think UFC should take the old PRIDE / k-1 (more recently Bellator/Glory) approach and have crossover bouts and bring legit kickboxers to have K-1 rules matches.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a good idea tbh. I wanna see mma.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a good idea tbh. I wanna see mma.

Are you always getting MMA though? Lots of the fights nowadays are too sloppy kickboxers leaning into eachother and trying to time the big shot...

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah I know, that's what I also said about the HW division. I don't want to cement that. Let it go, Curu, it's a horrible idea :lol:

Let's just hope some good talent comes through in the heavy divisions.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I know, that's what I also said about the HW division. I don't want to cement that. Let it go, Curu, it's a horrible idea :lol:

Let's just hope some good talent comes through in the heavy divisions.

:lol::lol:

I guess a part of me just miss the spectacle side of MMA and always have a soft spot for JMMA. Or maybe I just hate the monotony of most of UFC events now. But you are probably right, that idea would never work too well in the states. Bellator/Glory gave it a good try but their production value was :thumbsdown:

I think now that younger generation are training "MMA" at a much younger age, we will see some legit HW contenders come into the ranks soon.

Schedule