Ex-Milan Players - What are they up to now?

c.maldini

ROMÂNIA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Kaka Pirlo Gattuso Pato Inzaghi Hagi Flamini Chivu Borriello
does anyone know why contra left? he played some good games and was even scoring . was it because of his ego , or something like that? I know that he said the next season that leaving milan was the greatest mistake of his career.

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
c.maldini said:
does anyone know why contra left? he played some good games and was even scoring . was it because of his ego , or something like that? I know that he said the next season that leaving milan was the greatest mistake of his career.
He was good and I liked him , If I remember well he has an fight with Inter or Juve player if my memory serves well , it was friendly game , after that incident Milan terminated his contract and he went in Spain Celta Vigo if im not wrong, from that I never heart from him, for sure he never shined there.

c.maldini

ROMÂNIA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Kaka Pirlo Gattuso Pato Inzaghi Hagi Flamini Chivu Borriello
he went to atletico madrid , and stayed there for a season or two..but he never showed what he can do , and was loaned & later sold. he could have been really good , but he has anger management problems.I know that in Romania he assaulted a cop & got a year with suspenssion or somthing like that.good legs foolish attitude.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Part of Ruud Gullit interview in soccernet.

Q. One of your former team-mates has the top job in Holland, tell me what you think about Marco Van Basten's tenure with the national team.
A. He did quite well, the Dutch are very particular about their football. They want to play for the beauty of it and that is not always the case. If we do not play in a beautiful way we get criticised. It is hard to play just for the points, on the other hand there is a question mark about whether we have as much talent as we think we have.

I think the good thing is that he does not care too much about the press and what they say. He has his results and of course he wants to play beautiful football but it is not possible all the time.

Q. Can you pay tribute to Marco Van Basten as a player?
A. Oh yeah, I think he is one of the best players I have ever played with. The funny thing is that when you play with him you don't realise it, you just notice that he does the things he has to do.

But after your career you realise how good he really was. I think he was excellent. He was quite complete as a striker. I think his own way of playing haunted him for a long time because he was so complete. He was technically very good, very quick, very good in the air, he could create his own goals and that is something that we look for all the time.

Link to complete interview : http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=498538&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1&cc=4716

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Forza Milan...

Last edited:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
ruud guillet(sp?) often is a pundit for the big matches in the premiership. i get the feeling that he really likes manutd because hes always sticking up for us when the biased pundits make us out to be bad.

ray wilkins is the same.

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
manutd fan said:
ruud guillet(sp?) often is a pundit for the big matches in the premiership. i get the feeling that he really likes manutd because hes always sticking up for us when the biased pundits make us out to be bad.

ray wilkins is the same.

Ruud Gullit just accepted the head coaching position at the LA Galaxy.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
yer i no, but he still comes here to watch the matches, he watched manutd vs liverpool december 16 and im sure hes wachtd since then aswell.

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
manutd fan said:
yer i no, but he still comes here to watch the matches, he watched manutd vs liverpool december 16 and im sure hes wachtd since then aswell.

If thats true then i stand corrected. I assumed he would be in the US.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Whatever happened to Luther Blissett? :tongue: Ahahaha!

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Today is Vogel's b'day, but he is a free agent, I can't believe this. He was good at PSV.

Hughes tells Vogel to prove his worth

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes will give Swiss midfielder Johann Vogel two weeks to stake his claim for a contract.

The 30-year-old is on trial at Rovers after being released by Real Betis following a bust-up with the Spanish club.

Hughes said: 'Johann Vogel has the right pedigree, but his career came to a stop because he had a dispute with his previous club that took six months to untangle.

'I've seen him play many, many times - and he is the right quality. But the situation is we have to see if he would be fit enough to make an impact over the rest of this season or whether we should consider it for next season.'

Quinton Fortune is also training with Rovers in the hope of getting a contract, but a decision on the former Manchester United winger will also be delayed because the South African has picked up a minor hamstring injury.

'Nothing will be decided in the next couple of weeks on either player,' said Hughes.

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
Don't know if this is on/off topic, but should a team (say italian one) sign a player who is a free agent at this moment be registered and play for the team, or he would only be able to play Coppa or nothing until next season?

Maybe a bit dumb, but with the serious lack of depth in our team we do need to consider everything.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Marcus said:
Don't know if this is on/off topic, but should a team (say italian one) sign a player who is a free agent at this moment be registered and play for the team, or he would only be able to play Coppa or nothing until next season?

Maybe a bit dumb, but with the serious lack of depth in our team we do need to consider everything.
I think if he isn't cup-tied, he can play for us in any competition. I am not sure if I understand your question, but you might recall Ronaldo not being able to play in the CL, but helping us reach 4th place last year.

inomilan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Italian Tsar said:
I think if he isn't cup-tied, he can play for us in any competition. I am not sure if I understand your question, but you might recall Ronaldo not being able to play in the CL, but helping us reach 4th place last year.
I think he's asking if we sign a free agent outside the transfer window, does that mean he can't play for us this season, but can next season. As for the answer, i believe you can sign and play free agents anytime of the season.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
inomilan said:
I think he's asking if we sign a free agent outside the transfer window, does that mean he can't play for us this season, but can next season. As for the answer, i believe you can sign and play free agents anytime of the season.
If that's the case, I think a free agent can play for his new team in the same season. Laurent Robert, if I am not mistaken, signed for Derby County when he was a free agent, after his time at Levante, and is now playing for them. Newcastle have just signed Lamine Diatta, a free agent who had been playing for Besiktas, and signs are, he'll figure in the upcoming Premier League games.

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
Thanks, I thought so, but wasn't sure.

paijo17

BAyond Godlike
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini.. Kaka.. Pirlo.. Gattuso.. Ibou.. Zizou.. Collymore etc. haha..
Vogel relishing chance with Rovers
Wed 19 Mar, 11:30 AM

Switzerland international Johann Vogel is determined to make an impact in the Premier League after signing a permanent deal with Blackburn.Vogel has played at the highest level in Europe with Real Betis, AC Milan, and PSV Eindhoven among his previous clubs.

The 31-year-old defensive midfielder, who captained Switzerland at the 2006 World Cup, was a free agent after being released from Betis after a legal dispute with the club.

Subject to international clearance, Vogel has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the option of a further year.

Vogel told the club's official website: "I'm very happy the deal is done. I've had two weeks training with the squad and they have made a good impression. I was very impressed with the quality of the squad.

"It has always been an objective of mine to play in England, I can't wait to get started. If I am given my chance to play then I will do my best. If the manager thinks I'm ready then I will grab my chance."

----------------------------------------------------------------
Good luck Vogel!!! :D

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
Can anyone tell me whats Milan's fans' opinion on Gullit before, but especially after his latest comments on Milan and Maldini; the Dutch trio of the late 80ties early 90ties holds a lot of respect but it seems Ruud is the least popular of them as far as I see, can someone explain why?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Ronaldo9 said:
Can anyone tell me whats Milan's fans' opinion on Gullit before, but especially after his latest comments on Milan and Maldini; the Dutch trio of the late 80ties early 90ties holds a lot of respect but it seems Ruud is the least popular of them as far as I see, can someone explain why?
He was indeed the least fave among the 3 Dutch Trio. He was the fans fave in 87/88 when Milan won the scudetto (9 goals in his first season including goals vs Inter and Napoli, 2 assists at the Sao Paolo stadium vs Napoli). Sacchi built his offense around Gullit. He also bagged the Balon d’Or award in 88, first Milan player after Gianni Rivera to win it. But although he scored 2 goals in 89 Champions Cup final his contribution in later years was diminishing due to injury (in the game vs Steaua he forced himself to play and his injury got worse because of this game). In 89 and 90 MvBasten rightfully stole the limelight from him while Gullit only made 2 appeareances the league in 89/90 season.

There was also the comment that Gullit made about the tactical situation in Milan and he said that he could leave Milan and his fellow Dutchman could also follow, only for MvBasten to replied that he’s happy in Milan and Gullit’s comment should not be taken as the collective statement of the Dutch trio. This doesn’t favor him in front of Sacchi.

After Capello arrived in 91/92 season, Gullit seemed to find the 2nd wind and he made 26 appearances and scored 7 goals (including 2 goals at the away game vs the defending champion Sampdoria), still a good rate but far below of MvBasten’s top scoring 25 goals. However he began to question Capello’s decision to play him as right winger instead of his fave position as a striker (Capello preferred the duet of MvBasten and Simone/Massaro). His frustration grew even bigger in 92/93 season because Milan brought in Dejan Savicevic who could play in Gullit’s position. His pleading with Capello fell to deaf ear, the coach said Milan won the 91/92 scudetto unbeaten with that system, so why the need to change it. Capello’s decision not to play him in the 92/93 CL final was the final straw for him. He left Milan in the 93/94 season to Sampdoria (he won the Copa Italia there) but returned again the next season, only to stay for half season then went back to Sampdoria.

So for Milan fans, he was great for one season in 87/88 but the rest of his playing days in Milan he was considered as supporting roles, not as key player, and trouble maker with the coach. His club changing also didn't win him many adulation. In fact, he infuriated Milan fans and top management on his very first press conference when he was introduced as the new Milan player. While MvBasten was calmly sitting in the corner, all attention went to Gullit and he was asked whether he can be as good as Gianni Rivera, to which he answered “who’s Gianni Rivera?” :rolleyes: :D.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Federico Giunti, discuss.

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
gaizka22 said:
He was indeed the least fave among the 3 Dutch Trio. He was the fans fave in 87/88 when Milan won the scudetto (9 goals in his first season including goals vs Inter and Napoli, 2 assists at the Sao Paolo stadium vs Napoli). Sacchi built his offense around Gullit. He also bagged the Balon d’Or award in 88, first Milan player after Gianni Rivera to win it. But although he scored 2 goals in 89 Champions Cup final his contribution in later years was diminishing due to injury (in the game vs Steaua he forced himself to play and his injury got worse because of this game). In 89 and 90 MvBasten rightfully stole the limelight from him while Gullit only made 2 appeareances the league in 89/90 season.

There was also the comment that Gullit made about the tactical situation in Milan and he said that he could leave Milan and his fellow Dutchman could also follow, only for MvBasten to replied that he’s happy in Milan and Gullit’s comment should not be taken as the collective statement of the Dutch trio. This doesn’t favor him in front of Sacchi.

After Capello arrived in 91/92 season, Gullit seemed to find the 2nd wind and he made 26 appearances and scored 7 goals (including 2 goals at the away game vs the defending champion Sampdoria), still a good rate but far below of MvBasten’s top scoring 25 goals. However he began to question Capello’s decision to play him as right winger instead of his fave position as a striker (Capello preferred the duet of MvBasten and Simone/Massaro). His frustration grew even bigger in 92/93 season because Milan brought in Dejan Savicevic who could play in Gullit’s position. His pleading with Capello fell to deaf ear, the coach said Milan won the 91/92 scudetto unbeaten with that system, so why the need to change it. Capello’s decision not to play him in the 92/93 CL final was the final straw for him. He left Milan in the 93/94 season to Sampdoria (he won the Copa Italia there) but returned again the next season, only to stay for half season then went back to Sampdoria.

So for Milan fans, he was great for one season in 87/88 but the rest of his playing days in Milan he was considered as supporting roles, not as key player, and trouble maker with the coach. His club changing also didn't win him many adulation. In fact, he infuriated Milan fans and top management on his very first press conference when he was introduced as the new Milan player. While MvBasten was calmly sitting in the corner, all attention went to Gullit and he was asked whether he can be as good as Gianni Rivera, to which he answered “who’s Gianni Rivera?” :rolleyes: :D.
So you wouldn't really like the option of him being Milan manager in the future (since I've seen you like the possibility of Van Basten or Rijkaard to take the place)?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo9 said:
So you wouldn't really like the option of him being Milan manager in the future (since I've seen you like the possibility of Van Basten or Rijkaard to take the place)?
Well actually I've also mentioned Gullit as possible Milan coach but for sure I'd prefer MvB or Rijkaard. Gullit's widely used the term champagne or sexy football in his coaching career (Chelsea and Newcastle United) but with not much success. I guess he only won the FA cup. So if I have to choose playing beauty or winning, I'd go for winning (especially at this moment).

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I wouldnt want him... Like gaizka said i dont think he would mind losing as long as the team looked "sexy" doing it.

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
MILANELLO - Before today's training session at the Milanello sporting center, two generations of Milan goalkeepers came in close contact: Zeljko Kalac and Lorenzo Buffon, Milan goalkeeper in the 50s and 60s. Here is what they said:

LORENZO BUFFON:

"It's always a big emotion coming back here to Milanello. First of all I want to give my compliments to Kalac, I'm an admirer of his and I really think he's a good player.
I can't deny my emotion to be here where I spent a lot of my career. I've always said I played in a great Milan, but as a Milan fan I must also compliment president Berlusconi for everything he has done for this great club.
I'm a born milanista and for this reason when we played against Juventus in Turin, despite the fact my nephew Gigi was playing in goal, I supported Milan."

ZELJKO KALAC:

"I'm happy to be a part of this club and to be able to give my contribution in the race for the fourth place. Now there are only four games left before the end of the season and we have have to get as many points as possible. We are playing well and it will be important to go to Livorno on Sunday with the awareness that we have to win

The only thing I know about Lorenzo, is that he's Gigi's uncle. Can anyone fill me in on how good of a goalkeeper he was with Milan, are there any kind of similarities between him and Gigi?

vashil

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona,Nesta,Sheva,Pirlo, Gattuso,Crespo,Riquelme, Sneijder,Sergio Ramos,Beck,aguero
look at kalac first line...what a shame for milan!!!!

im not blaming kalac but the fourth place

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
I know, we used to cheer them on for winning championships, now we're cheering them on for fourth. :head:

Last edited:

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
chely said:
The only thing I know about Lorenzo, is that he's Gigi's uncle. Can anyone fill me in on how good of a goalkeeper he was with Milan, are there any kind of similarities between him and Gigi?

i don`t think anyone on this board has watched him play,but i read he was a really good gk..

Lorenzo BUFFON 1949-59
Goalkeeper who along with Nils Liedholm won four championships with Milan in the 1950s. Made his debut at the age of 20 while he was fourth choice and kept the No 1 jersey for the next decade. Also played 15 times for Italy before moving to Genoa and Inter.

channel4.com,all time best 11..