Week 23: Milan - Inter 21/02/2021 15:00 CET

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Correct, Its how we react. Not only the team but the fanbase too. A statement many here need to understand considering how incredibly feeble the immediate reaction has been.

I feel like a lot of people are believing in the hype.

The moment somethings doesn?t go right, people calling for players to be sold and manager to be replaced :fp:

By the same token, equally disappointing behavior from some people when others complement Inters game plan

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
People say this but it seems like most of us don’t really believe it, but it’s worth saying again. The team is really young and this is what happens.

All of us can analyze the player mistakes, the tactics pioli went with, all of that kind of stuff but the overarching idea is that when you build a team young and inexperienced like this, form will go down. We’ve been spoiled by such a long streak, and I think another one will come down the line, but young teams just have to grow.

We are Milan and there’s no excuse to not push for a title when you are within close distance to first place, but I see how so many of you all turn on the players so quickly. Leao for example, for the most part he has a very good season and he definitely made a step forward this season vs last year. There is upward trajectory, which is what the management wants but a couple bad games and suddenly Leao is some unplayable guy who ruins the game every time he steps on the field. You guys are starting to do that again with the whole team and I think people need to relax a little bit. Young teams have up and down form, it was always going to happen. There is enough quality in the team that they can turn it around quickly though. That will matter a lot more than Pioli benching certain players or going for a different approach.

Now actually getting into the game, a more experienced team would have found a way to keep that pressure on in the second half. We had them pinned and the chances were there, I think if one of those goes in we go on to win the game. Didn’t happen though and we just left so much space. Tbh I didn’t think Romagnoli or Kjaer were great today and they look tired. The only thing I was somewhat happy to see was that we finally started to move the ball and create chances. Inter is a stingy team that parks the bus but against most of the league, playing like that will win games and score goals. That’s the attitude the team needs to have for the rest of the season

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
People say this but it seems like most of us don?t really believe it, but it?s worth saying again. The team is really young and this is what happens.

All of us can analyze the player mistakes, the tactics pioli went with, all of that kind of stuff but the overarching idea is that when you build a team young and inexperienced like this, form will go down. We?ve been spoiled by such a long streak, and I think another one will come down the line, but young teams just have to grow.

We are Milan and there?s no excuse to not push for a title when you are within close distance to first place, but I see how so many of you all turn on the players so quickly. Leao for example, for the most part he has a very good season and he definitely made a step forward this season vs last year. There is upward trajectory, which is what the management wants but a couple bad games and suddenly Leao is some unplayable guy who ruins the game every time he steps on the field. You guys are starting to do that again with the whole team and I think people need to relax a little bit. Young teams have up and down form, it was always going to happen. There is enough quality in the team that they can turn it around quickly though. That will matter a lot more than Pioli benching certain players or going for a different approach.

Now actually getting into the game, a more experienced team would have found a way to keep that pressure on in the second half. We had them pinned and the chances were there, I think if one of those goes in we go on to win the game. Didn?t happen though and we just left so much space. Tbh I didn?t think Romagnoli or Kjaer were great today and they look tired. The only thing I was somewhat happy to see was that we finally started to move the ball and create chances. Inter is a stingy team that parks the bus but against most of the league, playing like that will win games and score goals. That?s the attitude the team needs to have for the rest of the season

Good post, as usual.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Just have to accept that we've been Inter and Juves bitch for the last ten years.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Exactly.

People just want Roma to be benched and justifiably so after performances so far this season.

But they will be calling for Gabbia to be gone after a few mistakes.

Gabbia played & none asked for his head.
So unless you know the future Gabbia> Roma.

Yes. Just like how Tonali became better after seeing Bennacer out of form, while both are good players.
Ben & Tona in the same sentence, ok.
And i have bigger hope for Meite than Tona.

actrader10

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
So i think today proved that we need to change things about but i dont understand why Pioli is so stubborn and doesnt change formation based on the game we are playing. What are the views of a 4312, or 4321. Far more solid and strong in midfield. Even 352 but i see that less likely. Carlo played 3 against Liverpool yet we always play exactly the same, super frustrating...

Against Roma, donna calabria kjaer tomori theo, kessie tonali and this is the problem with benncer out, whoe would you play? Hakan leao ibra

Last edited:

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
Pioli's system is a high pressing game from the front 4, with support from the midfielders.
This is a "high risk, high reward" type of approach that leaves the defense in a vulnerable situation. Every time we lose the ball and let the opponent counter attack, our defenders (ie CBs), will have to defuse the situation by themselves.
This tactic requires a defense with fast players that are great in one-on-one situations.
This is the reason why we were desperate for CBs in this mercato, even though we had six CBs, with Kalulu included.
Six CBs but not a single one of them was fast enough to fit in Pioli's system.

With this in mind, it is crazy to think that Pioli still chose to start Roma, the slowest of them all.

He is probably worried that benching the "captain", could possibly create a rift in the dressing room.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Gabbia played & none asked for his head.
So unless you know the future Gabbia> Roma.

Ben & Tona in the same sentence, ok.
And i have bigger hope for Meite than Tona.

People also hyped Rodrigo Ely after his preseason.

Look what happened to him.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
People say this but it seems like most of us don?t really believe it, but it?s worth saying again. The team is really young and this is what happens.

All of us can analyze the player mistakes, the tactics pioli went with, all of that kind of stuff but the overarching idea is that when you build a team young and inexperienced like this, form will go down. We?ve been spoiled by such a long streak, and I think another one will come down the line, but young teams just have to grow.

We are Milan and there?s no excuse to not push for a title when you are within close distance to first place, but I see how so many of you all turn on the players so quickly. Leao for example, for the most part he has a very good season and he definitely made a step forward this season vs last year. There is upward trajectory, which is what the management wants but a couple bad games and suddenly Leao is some unplayable guy who ruins the game every time he steps on the field. You guys are starting to do that again with the whole team and I think people need to relax a little bit. Young teams have up and down form, it was always going to happen. There is enough quality in the team that they can turn it around quickly though. That will matter a lot more than Pioli benching certain players or going for a different approach.

Now actually getting into the game, a more experienced team would have found a way to keep that pressure on in the second half. We had them pinned and the chances were there, I think if one of those goes in we go on to win the game. Didn?t happen though and we just left so much space. Tbh I didn?t think Romagnoli or Kjaer were great today and they look tired. The only thing I was somewhat happy to see was that we finally started to move the ball and create chances. Inter is a stingy team that parks the bus but against most of the league, playing like that will win games and score goals. That?s the attitude the team needs to have for the rest of the season

I agree with most of your post. I agree these types of things happen to young teams and I understand the patience required for a younger squad.

With that said, there?s turning on a player and there?s analyzing with reason. Interesting you use Leao as an example. He has great moments on the pitch, but can anyone say with certainty where exactly does he fit best in our current system? He has flaws which makes him unsuitable for both the CF and the LW positions. Is he talented? Yes. Is there an upward trajectory? Sure. But has any of those deficiencies changed?

Not to mention this is a player we gambled 35m on, while we are thin in multiple other positions. I?m not suddenly turning on him, i was vocally critical of Maldinis transfer mercato. It doesn?t mean I don?t wish him well or hope that he can grow into a player that fits, just so far I haven?t seen any of that.

But if we look at it in terms of an investment, I don’t think his bright moments justifies what we paid for him (or really raises his transfer value since we already paid pretty high)

Last edited:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree with most of your post. I agree these types of things happen to young teams and I understand the patience required for a younger squad.

With that said, there?s turning on a player and there?s analyzing with reason. Interesting you use Leao as an example. He has great moments on the pitch, but can anyone say with certainty where exactly does he fit best in our current system? He has flaws which makes him unsuitable for both the CF and the LW positions. Is he talented? Yes. Is there an upward trajectory? Sure. But had any of those deficiencies changed?

Not to mention this is a player we gambled 35m on, while we are thin in multiple other positions. I?m not suddenly turning on him, i was vocally critical of Maldinis transfer mercato. It doesn?t mean I don?t wish him well or hope that he can grow into a player that fits, just so far I haven?t seen any of that

Leao is a great example in the sense that just two weeks ago most of us were all satisfied. I read an in depth analysis of his stats just last weekend and his productivity was in the same not as players like rashford and Marcus Thurman. Also check the big picture facts with Leao. Versatile player, had about ten goal contributions with almost half the season remaining, and has been a contributor for a team that has spent more time on top of the table than any other italian side. He is not a role player either, he is more of a protagonist this season, and being one of those on a title challenging team is impressive. He has similar stats this season to Joao Felix, a player bought for over 100 mil.

This is exactly my point I?m making. He does have flaws, he can be very frustrating, so do a few of our players. But we have to have some patience, this is the project that they?ve gone for and it?s working so far. If you asked any of us a year ago if you would take Milan being four points off the top at this stage we would all take it. The fact that two weeks ago nobody was complaining about all this and that says a lot. No reason to go into panic mode over any of the players or the tactics. Pioli has some work to do but they haven?t even been given a chance but some fans to fix it. Relax

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Lesson learnt I hope ... people already asking for superstar and worldclass salaries from an employer who stood by them during their years of mediocrity, humbled in a head on match against the main contender for the Scudetto ... the most fierce rival ... in a season that sees the employer place a bid to return to her previous illustrious self ... as the season approaches its climax, we want to hear hunger ... we want to see complete focus and effort ... to finish the task at hand ... not bitchy games to milk more cash ...

Wake up folks ... you haven't earned anything yet ... I know they are some great teams and players that did extremely well and perhaps don't get as much recognition because they don't have the gold ... that one last hurdle where they were the favorites prior and for one surprising reason or the other, stumbled. Like Barca 94, the Great Dutch and Portuguese teams, etc.

The thing with this employer, Milan, its not in our DNA or history to have this problem. So no mater how many goals you've scored, or how many points you make, how far you went in the Champions League, if you can't bring home the goods then no ... not our DNA, not up to our standard.

First bring home the goods then ask for your rewards. I'm sorry but unappreciation tastes bitter :o:lol:

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
4-3-1-2 ?

Trying to turn Pioli into Giampioli?

Have some shame you bottom feeding molluscs.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Most terrible game of Kessie.
He marked too heavily and could not be the engine/ breaker he wanted to be.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
When I put Leao in AM role they all attacked me. He did this role better than out of form Hakan recently.

You care too much about what others think of your ideas

Anyway, I see Leao similar to Kaka because he can run at defenders and he can deliver the final product (shot or assist). Maybe the best would be for him to play like Kaka in his final years in a xmas tree formation.

Hakan is better than Leao in the current formation. But I am starting to think that we need some adjustments and to have more than one approach.

.A.K.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka,Pato,Maldini,Inzaghi
just tsaw the highlights, if that overweight greedy pig raiola asks for a pay rise for donna again we should sell him, clown. Romagnoli is shit too since his injury.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My takeaways - we got too carried away beating crappy teams with every lineup and every tactics we tried.

This is a young squad with many limitations and we need to take that into account when we play top teams.

Oh and by the way - we can still win the Scudetto if we fix our defensive setup.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Tactics and form aside, I feel I didn't see the same focus, grit and determination we saw in the first leg against Inter. I think this change in character had the most impact.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm still surprised we didn't start Tomori. Whether in for Kjaer or Romagnoli, not playing him was suicide. This is the exact sort of situation that we needed someone like him, and to play two slow defenders in such a high line against Lautaro and Lukaku was insane. I really didn't understand it.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm still surprised we didn't start Tomori. Whether in for Kjaer or Romagnoli, not playing him was suicide. This is the exact sort of situation that we needed someone like him, and to play two slow defenders in such a high line against Lautaro and Lukaku was insane. I really didn't understand it.
Maybe pioli is sloooow as romagnoli is.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My takeaways - we got too carried away beating crappy teams with every lineup and every tactics we tried.

This is a young squad with many limitations and we need to take that into account when we play top teams.

Oh and by the way - we can still win the Scudetto if we fix our defensive setup.

Even then, lots of the games we had strokes of luck coming back from being down.

Those were more individual efforts who were motivated rather than specific set of tactics.

It?s unrealistic to expect us to play the perfect game everytime, with this current squad

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Once again, poorly performance, like i said... day after day, the team will get more and more predictable... Pioli doesnt have the hability to change, he never had.

He should have changed the formation already, for a half game, for atleast 20 minutes or so... but he keeps relying only with the influence of Ibra on the youngsters.

Its frustating. We do have a good squad.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
People also hyped Rodrigo Ely after his preseason.

Look what happened to him.
Ely never played a stretch outperforming Roma, Gabbia did.
And i said back then Roma didnt even commit fatal errors.

With that said, there?s turning on a player and there?s analyzing with reason. Interesting you use Leao as an example. He has great moments on the pitch, but can anyone say with certainty where exactly does he fit best in our current system? He has flaws which makes him unsuitable for both the CF and the LW positions. Is he talented? Yes. Is there an upward trajectory? Sure. But has any of those deficiencies changed?

Not to mention this is a player we gambled 35m on, while we are thin in multiple other positions. I?m not suddenly turning on him, i was vocally critical of Maldinis transfer mercato. It doesn?t mean I don?t wish him well or hope that he can grow into a player that fits, just so far I haven?t seen any of that.

But if we look at it in terms of an investment, I don’t think his bright moments justifies what we paid for him (or really raises his transfer value since we already paid pretty high)
Would rather discuss Tona before I mention Leao.
Where the fuck does Tona fit & where are his 30mil contribution?
Leao is a highly talented player that we dont know how to use.
Tona is what exactly?

Last edited:

Schedule