Gianluigi Donnarumma Thread

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No hype please. Tone it down. He did ok. Goal we conceded was entirely on him but overall he did well. Good job.

agreed that the goal was all on him, disagree that he did just 'ok'. he did very well. his passing ability, his goal kicks, his bravery in coming out for corners and crosses are things that he has done exceptionally well in the last 3 games, better than Lopez and Abbiati to be honest. His shot-stopping has been good too. There was a goal we conceded that was ruled out offside, but before it was offside Gigi had to get down to his right and save it... that was his best save in the last 3 games I think. It's really hard for someone that tall to get down to the bottom corner that fast.

Berlusconi could've been right when he said that his successors are lucky that they won't have to invest in a gk for the next 20 years. It is quite an important point.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
agreed that the goal was all on him, disagree that he did just 'ok'. he did very well. his passing ability, his goal kicks, his bravery in coming out for corners and crosses are things that he has done exceptionally well in the last 3 games, better than Lopez and Abbiati to be honest. His shot-stopping has been good too. There was a goal we conceded that was ruled out offside, but before it was offside Gigi had to get down to his right and save it... that was his best save in the last 3 games I think. It's really hard for someone that tall to get down to the bottom corner that fast.

Berlusconi could've been right when he said that his successors are lucky that they won't have to invest in a gk for the next 20 years. It is quite an important point.

He does many things extremely well (considering his age) but having followed him in the youth ranks I know he's susceptible to brainfarts. E.g. misjudging Berardi's free-kick, missing the ball vs. Chievo and now conceding at his near post (didn't even get a hand to it).

It's too early to judge whether this is due to inexperience or part of his nature. I hope it's not the latter.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
See thats the issue with young players. One mistake is all it takes and u will be rotting on the bench for q long time.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Yeah just ask FODrigo Ely! I warned people he was slow & clumsy in Serie B but they ignored my advice proclaiming him the new TS based on a few pre-season games. Unfortunately I was proven right and his ass is now firmly imprinted on the Milan bench :lol: I sincerely hope history doesn't repeat itself with Donna but have my doubts...

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah just ask FODrigo Ely! I warned people he was slow & clumsy in Serie B but they ignored my advice proclaiming him the new TS based on a few pre-season games. Unfortunately I was proven right and his ass is now firmly imprinted on the Milan bench :lol: I sincerely hope history doesn't repeat itself with Donna but have my doubts...

TBF, like you said, Donnarumma does many things well FOR HIS AGE, but a lot of his movements still are very rash and the goal for sure is on him. With him playing, I felt like there was a sense of nervousness that didn't really settle down until Mexes came in and high fived everyone on every play.

We still need to give this kid time, but so far he's been promising.

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
3 big mistakes in 3 matches.

On the positive side he doesn't pick the opposition players with his passes.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
TBF, like you said, Donnarumma does many things well FOR HIS AGE, but a lot of his movements still are very rash and the goal for sure is on him. With him playing, I felt like there was a sense of nervousness that didn't really settle down until Mexes came in and high fived everyone on every play.

We still need to give this kid time, but so far he's been promising.

Yes he's performing incredibly well considering he's a boy playing against men. However, I also get nervous watching him play and so far he's averaged a goal conceeding brainfart a game. I hope this is down to inexperience but I noticed similar behaviour in youth team games. I just hope he develops into another Perin not a Bardi.

Last edited:

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
No hype please. Tone it down. He did ok. Goal we conceded was entirely on him but overall he did well. Good job.

Fook Off

If it were an inter/fio/liverpool player you'd all be hyping the living daylights out of him.

He might make mistakes.... show me a gk who don't ??

But i love the fact this kid can play a bit of football, unlike the other dinosaurs we are accustomed to.

Also the FACT he's won all 3 games is worth hyping

100% winning streak.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Fook Off

If it were an inter/fio/liverpool player you'd all be hyping the living daylights out of him.

But i love the fact this kid can play a bit of football, unlike the other dinosaurs we are accustomed to.

100% winning streak.

:thumbsup::proud::proud:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Fook Off

100% winning streak.

Yes because when it comes to milan players, grass is always greener on the other side.

Nasha

Milan Icon
Reaction score
keep it up gigi!

milan fans are proud of you

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Donnarumma will be in the list of called players of Italy U21 for matches vs Serbia & Lithuania. #GdS

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Leaving aside his talent, he's a starter only because Lopez is injured. Now we're finding out that it's an injury that has been going on for 4 months... since at least July. It's obvious that we'll say that Donnaruma is great (said same thing for J.Mauri), because otherwise the question is "Why didn't we look to make up for D. Lopez injury during the transfer market". If there's something I'm wary of is the fact that we truly have no idea how good he is, and considering the hype machine that is Milan, I'd reserve the right to speak.

A few things need to be mentioned, in addition to the good interventions, he's also done his share of mistakes in every single game. Thankfully so far they haven't been a deciding factor, but it would be naive to think that if he keeps making them, this will never happen.

One might say that Marchetti fucked up a lot more in the last game, but I'd still wager that he would have a lot less fuckups than Donnaruma from now till the end of the season.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Such bad words about a predestinato. Only in modern fan forums.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Leaving aside his talent, he's a starter only because Lopez is injured. Now we're finding out that it's an injury that has been going on for 4 months... since at least July. It's obvious that we'll say that Donnaruma is great (said same thing for J.Mauri), because otherwise the question is "Why didn't we look to make up for D. Lopez injury during the transfer market". If there's something I'm wary of is the fact that we truly have no idea how good he is, and considering the hype machine that is Milan, I'd reserve the right to speak.

A few things need to be mentioned, in addition to the good interventions, he's also done his share of mistakes in every single game. Thankfully so far they haven't been a deciding factor, but it would be naive to think that if he keeps making them, this will never happen.

One might say that Marchetti fucked up a lot more in the last game, but I'd still wager that he would have a lot less fuckups than Donnaruma from now till the end of the season.

You need to give Sinisa and Donnaruma credit. Sinisa sees our three keepers every day in training. If Donnaruma wasn't good enough he would have put Abbiati in. Donnaruma is 16 and a great talent. He has been good in all 3 games and you need to have faith.

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Only a backup to lopez, already 16 and only 1 clean sheet in 3 games. Sell him quickly before his value drop.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Such bad words about a predestinato. Only in modern fan forums.

Didn't you say similar words for Cristante also...

You need to give Sinisa and Donnaruma credit. Sinisa sees our three keepers every day in training. If Donnaruma wasn't good enough he would have put Abbiati in. Donnaruma is 16 and a great talent. He has been good in all 3 games and you need to have faith.

I do give Sinisa and Donnaruma credit, we just have different definitions on what means "good enough". He's been ok in the past 3 games, and if those were the performances of Diego Lopez, they would be considered average performances at best.
The truth is that it wasn't Donnaruma that got better than Diego Lopez, but the latter one who was injured. As about him being better than Abbiati, let's not forget that Abbiati is 38 years old and probably wouldn't be a starter in any Serie A team this year and is very likely to call it quits at the end of this season.

My point is we can say that Donnaruma is a great GK, all I say is that from what he's shown so far, the GK position is currently our weakest spot in the starting 11.
To those that say that we've won three games with him on the field, I say that we've won two champions league with Dario Simic, but that doesn't make him a great player.

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Hey, Dario Simic was Croatia's all time leading player in terms of international appearances.

I think it's a bit unfair to say "Donnarumma is only starting because Diego Lopez is injured". He was starting before any of us knew that and Sinisa never said anything to that effect. Diego Lopez was available and on the bench for 2 of the games.

I doubt Abbiati has got significantly worse over 1 summer. He'd still probably start for like 10 of the teams in the league.

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, Dario Simic was Croatia's all time leading player in terms of international appearances.

I think it's a bit unfair to say "Donnarumma is only starting because Diego Lopez is injured". He was starting before any of us knew that and Sinisa never said anything to that effect. Diego Lopez was available and on the bench for 2 of the games.

I doubt Abbiati has got significantly worse over 1 summer. He'd still probably start for like 10 of the teams in the league.

Agree with everything but the last two sentences. Abbiati hasnt played in how long? Not to mention hes old, hes reflexes arent getting any better. He wont be bad option for games here and there but for an extended period of time (lets face it, no one in this squad can stay fit for their lives)...we need someone better.

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score

But he's gonna be 18 in only two years time. Now is the best time to get rid of him.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score

You might think it's unfair but it's my opinion based on what he's shown so far. For all we know, Abbiati might be semi-injured too. You don't see me saying anything about Calabria because his performances in my opinion showed that he could handle quite a bit especially considering that the opponents were consistently trying to exploit his side.

Goal against Sassuolo was his fault, goal against Lazio was his fault, the cancelled goal against Chievo it was a very risky move trying to catch a ball when challenged by an opponent. Yes it was a foul, but it was a soft foul and some referees might not give it ...and I'm not even talking about rushed punches like the one that took Alex out ... his only notable catch so far has been the parry on the cancelled Lazio goal

I wouldn't be too sure that Abbiati would get any offers at all if he left despite what I think of him as a GK, let's not forget that Amelia was out of a job and that Gabriel and Scuffet didn't have any offers.

Saying that it's cloudy and might rain, doesn't mean that it will necessarily rain. It's just that I'd rather keep the umbrella with me and not trust our management that says that it will be sunny.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
There's a difference between getting offers and playing if you were there.

Nobody wanted Bonera but he ended up at Villareal playing in the CL.

Teams might not want to buy him, but if he were there, I trust 100% that he'd start for like 10 of the teams in the league.

No team bought Dida either but he had a long career after going back to Brazil.

Milanista_7

#UCLDNA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, T.Silva, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Romagnoli
Lol at people at this forum, its eaither " too old should get rid of him and shouldnt play" or " no he is way too young to start games should not play so often" wtf do you want ffs :fp:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Lopez has been suffering from the patella tendinitis for a couple of months now and have been playing through the pain. Yes he was available for 2 of those games, but after the Torino game is probably when they decided that he needed to be rested and have a change of treatment.

Before Lopez came, Abbiati has costed us points in games where he would have brain farts. I think it's a combination of factors of Donnarumma's good form in training + consideration of Abbiati's potential brain farts + concerns about Lopez's health that led to Miha's decision.

So yes, he's not ONLY starting because Lopez is hurt, but that has a lot to do with it.

Schedule