Week 2: S.S.C. Napoli - AC Milan 25/08/2018 20:30 CET

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I always get jealous seeing Napoli midfielders outplay Milan's.

All of them are really good in terms of technical stuff and dribble skill making us appear to be midtable team in whole 90 minutes.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I always get jealous seeing Napoli midfielders outplay Milan's.

All of them are really good in terms of technical stuff and dribble skill making us appear to be midtable team in whole 90 minutes.

They played as a team, a compact team and we didnt.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Only just finished watching the match as I had work.

Admittedly it is disappointing to lose after a 2 goal lead. Gattuso showed a bit of naivety as there was no real variation in the way we play. It is hard to build from the back when everyone knows Gigio is bad with his feet. It is an accident waiting to happen. But yes we were 2 goals ahead at the San Paolo stadium with his tactics so there is something there. He just needs to adjust things when we are ahead rather than just persist. I will say I felt that in patches we were quite exciting and at times played quite well which is encouraging. I just hope we gel soon before frustration, self-doubt and low morale starts to set in.

I remember someone pointing out how we didn't have the same amount of depth in our squad as some of our competitors for top 4 and this was apparent in this match. They had Dries Mertens and Diawara coming off the bench and they haven't even got Fabian Ruiz back from injury. I love Patrick Cutrone but it is not quite the same thing bringing him on when we were chasing the game. Suspensions and injuries will be a worry this season.

Like most of you, I am worried about Biglia too. Hopefully he will find form otherwise tactically we will need a change of shape.

In any case, I refuse to rubbish our chances. Next game is at the San Siro and we'll have Hakan back. Reina would be a better choice in goal but the Gigio situation is delicate. Would be great if Caldara was integrated but we need to take it slow with him.

It is a work in progress and I am optimistic that we can turn it around. Forza Milan.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If no one's gone say it then I will. Bonucci AKA a defensive leader was lacking today... And it showed. Musacchio didn't exactly cement his spot with this performance.
It's his first game in the starting 11. Bonucci was shit in his first 10 matches at the very least

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My god, this place is so full of drama queens...

We lost control after being 2-0 up at the San Paolo. Ancelloti put Dries on Biglia which killed off our easy passing option, and Gattuso didn't have a plan B.

It's not the end of the world. I'm reading people wanting Gattuso fired, saying Bakayoko is a mistake (he played less than 30 minutes in his first game in a new league. Hakan needed 6 months to adapt).

What the hell? It's the first game of a delayed season away to Napoli. We played well for most of the game and only lost because we didn't have a plan B to control the game.

Also, for the first time in years we actually have options from the bench.

We didn't expect to win this and it feels bad because we were 2-0 up and could have won it. But to be fair we got lucky with the goals and were surprised to be winning. This sort of thing happens with inexperience. With time we'll build more resilience and confidence.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Feels so horrible to lose after being 2 - 0 up ...

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We didn't expect to win this and it feels bad because we were 2-0 up and could have won it. But to be fair we got lucky with the goals and were surprised to be winning. This sort of thing happens with inexperience. With time we'll build more resilience and confidence.

The bold part is the main issue. We played terribly, the two goals did not reflect the game at all, just like you said.

Gattuso was clueless in this game. It is logic if fans questioning his position although urging to sack him is not a wise decision.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
we looked like the weaker team all game. napoli had a bad few minutes after they conceded but other than that they looked a lot more like a team

our passing game sucks. constantly fucking up easy 2-5m passes either by making the ball bouncy or by not calculating where the team mate is going to be. build up is complete shit, players constantly getting isolated on the wings with no support. higuain barely got any balls etc

with the way we played, even at 2-0 I still thought a draw would be a great result

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
It's his first game in the starting 11. Bonucci was shit in his first 10 matches at the very least

Yeah I know, but he gave us some stability with his leadership and now he's a starter in Juve again. The guy was good.

Fuck him though, this isn't about him, it's about the fact that we don't have any leaders in the pitch. No one steps up and all we see is that little twat Donnarumma shouting at everyone.

We'll see what happens though, first game of the season etcetc..

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I am very optimistic.
We will finish or not finish top 4 by beating small teams. Last year we lost 12 points against shit teams.

We still have the same weaknesses as last season - Donnarumma brainfarts, useless RR, confused Biglia, and unstable CB pair.

If Gattuso finds a solution soon, we will definitely finish top 4.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
The drama and pessimism in here is astonishing.

The real test is if the team manages to build on the momentum that'll inevitably come. I think we have a much stronger squad than last season.

Hope we manage to beat Roma:)

Forza Milan!

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
While we're shitting on the team, and rightfully so because you don't drop a 2-0 lead. You have to remember that Napoli put in one hell of a performance and were the better team all game long. I was very surprised to see us being up two goals in the first place.

Napoli had better teamwork and much more confidence. The two things that stands out for me regarding this Milan. We have very little of both those things.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
So tired of Napoli and there shit kits.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Like I said before, this game is one to forget. 3 points vs Roma are essential.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
I seriously dont know what Gattuso is thinking with the build up being short passes starting from the goal keeper. That shit was bound to go wrong. I won't even blame Donna for his shit passing because we already knew his passing is shit and Gattuso should know as well.
When your strategy is to play underdog and defend with 10 men, then you have to do it 100% and just have the goalkeeper launch the goal kicks up to the striker.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
And there fucking Mertens 60 min sub they've used for five years.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Okay now I’ve calmed down and I’m not as drunk as last night I’ll give my insights of the game.

I don’t mind playing the ball out the back, biggest problem was we didn’t have the personnel for it. Having Rodriguez, Jack & Borini on the same side really was frustrating. All three of them are generally 2/3 touch players so it was a recipe for disaster to begin with. However, I think Rodriguez was pretty good considering the pressure we put him under.

Bonaventura had moments of brilliance and moments of frustration. Typical Jack show.

Biglia was horrible however, this team NEEDS him. Look at both of our goals, he was the one who decided to change our rhythm and gave a long ball to Suso for the first goal and then he did it again on the second goal. Without his long ball both goals don’t happen, as bad as he was he had a major impact also.

Suso doesn’t work hard enough to receive the ball, he can’t just stick to the right and expect us to feed him.

Kessie was the worst player on the pitch imo, completely useless majority of the match.

Romagnoli was very good

Musacchio was solid however I completely blame him on the first goal, stupid pass to Biglia under pressure which started the attack.

Calabria was okay, nice goal.

I actually felt sorry for Higuain, he had a look on his face like he just realised what he got himself into.

Gattuso fantastic to be 2-0 up. It was perfect, sure we played horribly but we set out a job and executed it for 50 minutes. Once we were 2-0 the playing out from the back shouldn’t have continued, horrible coaching really. Absolutely horrible.

Why did he start Borini I’ll never know.... all in all, I’m very optimistic still. Can’t wait for Caldara and Hakan to start and things change completely imo. Hopefully Conti gets back soon too.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not a lot of fans giving us credit for our good 55 minutes saying we were lucky ect

I disagree , we scored two good goals and defended well up to their first goal

Issue is no back up for biliga , that will hurt us .

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Okay now I’ve calmed down and I’m not as drunk as last night I’ll give my insights of the game.

I don’t mind playing the ball out the back, biggest problem was we didn’t have the personnel for it. Having Rodriguez, Jack & Borini on the same side really was frustrating. All three of them are generally 2/3 touch players so it was a recipe for disaster to begin with. However, I think Rodriguez was pretty good considering the pressure we put him under.

Bonaventura had moments of brilliance and moments of frustration. Typical Jack show.

Biglia was horrible however, this team NEEDS him. Look at both of our goals, he was the one who decided to change our rhythm and gave a long ball to Suso for the first goal and then he did it again on the second goal. Without his long ball both goals don’t happen, as bad as he was he had a major impact also.

Suso doesn’t work hard enough to receive the ball, he can’t just stick to the right and expect us to feed him.

Kessie was the worst player on the pitch imo, completely useless majority of the match.

Romagnoli was very good

Musacchio was solid however I completely blame him on the first goal, stupid pass to Biglia under pressure which started the attack.

Calabria was okay, nice goal.

I actually felt sorry for Higuain, he had a look on his face like he just realised what he got himself into.

Gattuso fantastic to be 2-0 up. It was perfect, sure we played horribly but we set out a job and executed it for 50 minutes. Once we were 2-0 the playing out from the back shouldn’t have continued, horrible coaching really. Absolutely horrible.

Why did he start Borini I’ll never know.... all in all, I’m very optimistic still. Can’t wait for Caldara and Hakan to start and things change completely imo. Hopefully Conti gets back soon too.

Agreed, I think Gattuso admitted as much after the game. We should have changed our play style and not been afraid to cede possession to Napoli at that point. Maybe we were up 2-0 too early in the game... I'm sure if it was the 70th minute we would have played 10 men behind and just launching the ball deep every chance we got.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
even before we conceded i knew musacchio was a low iq beta CB

its all on him first goal which started the pressure on us :fp: Romagnoli was free , Calabria was all alone even kessie to an extent was a better option to pass to than biglia who had 2 players on him :fp:

never ever should have let them come back into the game . should have been over after calabrias goal

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
While we're shitting on the team, and rightfully so because you don't drop a 2-0 lead. You have to remember that Napoli put in one hell of a performance and were the better team all game long. I was very surprised to see us being up two goals in the first place.

Napoli had better teamwork and much more confidence. The two things that stands out for me regarding this Milan. We have very little of both those things.

Napoli were nowhere near their level under sarri.. we could have easily beaten them with a better coach (tactics)

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
This is how depression spiral begins... thinking abt the 2 goal lead lost to Napoli and all of a sudden you start to think how you once lost a 3 goal lead... and a 4 goal lead from the 1st tie. Good job we're not gun owners.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Napoli were nowhere near their level under sarri.. we could have easily beaten them with a better coach (tactics)

Nowhere near? Please take Sarri's dick out of your mouth.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Napoli didn't pay start playing well until after they conceded the second goal. They looked slow, lethargic compared to last year, which is what is now becoming a typical Ancelotti team. Mertens coming on obviously gave them an extra edge but the Milan collapse was pathetic and have no one to blame but the players and coach.

I definitely don't agree with the posts saying we should abandon trying to play out from the back, thats exactly how we managed to score the beautiful second goal, but the players completely lacked what they call game awareness and just shit the bed honestly.

I don't think Carlo has much of a future with the Napoli players who brought into Sarri's ultra intense approach. He's going to be disliked by the players just like at Bayern.

Reaction score
lol at people thinking the same team as last year with the expection of higuain will win all the "small teams". this team has as much problems playing these so called "shit teams" that park the bus as it does playing the big teams and will loose points to both of them. unless you think bakayoko will break those teams down as well as control the matches and protect the defense especially in the away games to those teams and serve it on a platter to higuain along with bonaventura and kessie :lol: meanwhile inter and roma came away with a draw and win from san paolo last season so they not only can beat the small sides but take points from the napolis as well.

and don't kid yourself that "we have a much stronger squad than last season", we lost bonucci who was great under gattuso and was a leader, musachio and caldara are both far away from him. we also lost some good sub options such as locatelli and replaced him with a donkey like bakayoko who might actually be even worse than bertolacci, montolivo and mauri. thought he could at least be useful in set pieces since we're terrible at defending them and let a lot of goals from them but his first clearence ended up on zielinski's foot and a goal with the fine assistance of donnarumma :lol::fp:
just terrible :thumbsdown:

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Let's be honest

We were riding our luck the entire game.

Yes we took a two goal lead but at no point in the game we looked at all comfortable.

Napoli were knocking on our door and sooner or later we were gonna slip up and we did.

We really didnt help ourselves with the ridiculous short pass tactic. For a team that's so fuckin shit at keeping the ball that tactic was pure suicide. Not to mention when you are playing with Donnarumma as your keeper. Wtf did we continue doing that after taking a two goal lead?

Also, the lack of an actual midfield was fuckin obvious. Both the second and third goal were a result of zero pressure from the midfield.

We may have more numbers now but the depth is still the same.

And also, what was Higuain supposed to do? He literally had no service bar Suso. The amount of times he had to drop deep to get the ball was ridiculous. Borini may have assisted a goal but bar that he was absolutely fuckin useless. Neither did he provide defensive cover nor any credible attacking threat.

I honestly dont know what Gattuso has working on them but each and every player bar Higuain panics when they get the ball or switch off when they make a pass. How can Higuain be a threat when he needs to start every attack from the midfield?

Yes, the second goal was top class but we cannot proclaim we had a good game because at times we looked like a team that didnt shit the bed.

The loss is on Gattuso. Everyone could see we were a nightmare in trying to pass the ball out the back but he refused to change tactics.

Nevertheless, it's the first game of the season but we seriously need to step up if we want to get top 4. Not to mention midfield reinforcements in January are a must.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Napoli were way better than us last night. They knew each other, they did not need to look at to whom they wanted to give a pass, their free sudden movements to PK area were incredible. It does not mean we had no chance to match their performance. At least we could give more than last night game. We need a totally different approach to the game.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Milan should have fired Gattuso ages ago and gotten King Carlo. Dropped the ball on that one, now Napoli will benefit from his excellent managerial skills while Milan is stuck with Gattuso who as brilliant and legend of a player he was, is a very average subpar coach

100% Agree with the first part... but not the second... we should have gone for Sarri.

Now were literally fucked... as the only name being mentioned as his replacement is another clueless grinta merchant.

Schedule