Week 3: AC Milan vs AS Roma 31/08/2018 20:30 CET

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
xZPq4sP.png

Not too long ago we fielded this against Roma. Times are surely brighter

Lol dang I forgot how many trash players have come through. Some of these seasons I just push to the back of my brain.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
FOOTBALL ITALIA

Milan Coach Gennaro Gattuso launches a spirited defence of Lucas Biglia - “he’s been massacred, but on a tactical level he’s crucial”.

The Argentinian midfielder gave the ball away against Napoli, and the Partenopei broke up the pitch to make it 2-1.

Carlo Ancelotti’s side then went on to win 3-2, and the former Lazio man has been heavily criticised for his mistake.

“We have to understand how we move the ball, we like to play up against the opposing player,” Gattuso said.

“When we escape the first line of the press we have to look forward. The problem with this squad isn’t using the ball, and therefore not on open pitches.

“Biglia’s been massacred, but on a tactical level he’s crucial. When he picks up the ball he sometimes turns back the way, he knows he has to improve that but our problem is not using the ball.

“We made a mistake, mistakes can happen, a player can make a mistake. Mistakes will happen. The problem is that when it went to 2-1 no-one moved anymore.

“If you want to impose your football then you can’t do things by half. The most serious error wasn’t by Biglia, it was the fundamental concept that was wrong.

“That ball should have gone out to Calabria. We need to make sure we always stay in the game, we can’t afford to just abandon the pitch.

“After it went to 2-1 it felt like we weren’t on the pitch anymore.”

Yet Gattuso had some harsher words for new signing Tiemoue Bakayoko.

“All I meant was that coming to a new league isn’t easy, then some of you wrote that I slaughtered Bakayoko.

“This is a squad which has improved a lot, and I’m happy.

"The mistake I made was rushing to change Biglia, we lost the balance in that position. In recent weeks I've only tried Bakayoko at mezzala, not really in that deep role.

"With that change I made a mistake and I paid the price.

"I was misunderstood, I've never spoken badly about these players. I wasn't insulting [Bakayoko], I just said it will take time to play this way.

"It's my fault too, because I put him in a role where I've only tried him one or two times in the past 15 days."

Gonzalo Higuain failed to score on his Rossoneri debut, following an €18m loan move from Juventus this summer.

“Go and look how much Higuain touched the ball,” Gattuso advised.

“When defenders and midfielders are getting goalscoring chances it means work has been done behind them. If Higuain had scored in the last 10 metres we’d be talking about something else.

“He’s crucial, he makes us play better, but we have to exploit his ability in the final 20 metres. I’m really happy with his performance though.

“On the second goal every player touched the ball, there were 27 passes. That shows that the team has quality, but you won’t get anywhere with quality alone.

"Service to Higuain? [Hakan] Calhanoglu can help with that, we've seen many times that he can play dangerous balls through the middle.

"When we tried to find Higuain we lost the ball a few times, when we get near the goal we need to find him a bit more.

"We didn't get it forward often enough, but it's really difficult against Lazio, they don't let you get it forward."

Ah, so Bakayoko hasn't really been tried as regista but mezzala instead.

We need Biglia to stay fit and improve.

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
pls stop watching football if you ever thought that Bakayoko can play as a regista

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Match day! Forza Milan!

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
whats Lazio got to do with it?

Yeah I noticed that too. Football Italia are quality as always.

I have a soft spot for them though because of the TV show back in the day. But that Juve bias...

Was thinking of editing it but then forgot.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My guess: it's because he saw in the game against Napolo that our defense is still very young and unexperienced. This will cost us at least a few point this year. It's okay when you play against Chievo or SPAL, but for Roma, you need someone with some reputation, someone who can bring or keep the calm when things go wrong, someone who can organise the defense etc.. in your squad/defense.
Someone like wc bonucci?

m1lan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Match day!!!!!! Lets beat Roma and get 3 points on the board. Will be a tough game decided by small margins. I'm ever hopeful though.

Forza Milan!!!!

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Roma will play 4231 against us with Pastore behind Dzeko and Under and ElShaarawy on the wings. Way too unbalanced away to Milan. I'm thinking Pastore plays LW again and Cristante in midfield with De Rossi and N'Zonzi.

I'm expecting us to be MUCH more effective doing the false winger move with Suso and now also with Hakan. De Rossi will be preoccupied trying to cover the passing lane to Higuain (since De Rossi is mostly free) and will have trouble dealing with the bursting runs of Bonaventura and Kessie.

Suso and Hakan will have the job of pulling Kolarov and Karsdorp inside, leaving space for Rodriguez and Calabria to go outside.

Pastore doesn't press that well and neither does Under so we can move the ball out easier than with Napoli.

My worry obviously is how often they catch us on the break if Bonaventura or Kessie get drawn too high up and they start running at us.

It's a very evenly matched game, but I think we can hurt them by overloading the midfield with Hakan/Suso and then finding space behind when they lose their shape. De Rossi can't keep up with Bonaventura/Kessie. That's my bet.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I find it hard to believe that Roma will play 4231 against us with Pastore behind Dzeko and Under and ElShaarawy on the wings. Way too unbalanced away to Milan. I'm thinking Pastore plays LW again and Cristante in midfield with De Rossi and N'Zonzi.

I'm expecting us to be MUCH more effective doing the false winger move with Suso and now also with Hakan. De Rossi will be preoccupied trying to cover the passing lane to Higuain (since De Rossi is mostly free) and will have trouble dealing with the bursting runs of Bonaventura and Kessie.

Suso and Hakan will have the job of pulling Kolarov and Karsdorp inside, leaving space for Rodriguez and Calabria to go outside.

Pastore doesn't press that well and neither does Under so we can move the ball out easier than with Napoli.

My worry obviously is how often they catch us on the break if Bonaventura or Kessie get drawn too high up and they start running at us.

It's a very evenly matched game, but I think we can hurt them by overloading the midfield with Hakan/Suso and then finding space behind when they lose their shape. De Rossi can't keep up with Bonaventura/Kessie. That's my bet.

:thumbsup: excellent analysis as usual. I do enjoy reading your break down of tactics.

patosheva

Milan Legend
Reaction score

nice,only that sky confirmes that roma will play 4 2 3 1 and shick is rw in place of under
so it could easly be 4 3 1 2 with ses as lcm helping defence.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
2-0 for us ez

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
a friday night milan game is awesome for a change, hopefully we have more of those.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
nice,only that sky confirmes that roma will play 4 2 3 1 and shick is rw in place of under
so it could easly be 4 3 1 2 with ses as lcm helping defence.

If it’s Schick then El Shaarawy won’t play because I don’t think he will drop Pastore and he won’t gamble with just two midfielders against us. Too risky. I think he will play with pace trying to catch us on the break, and he needs wingers to track our fullbacks otherwise we will destroy them on the wings with overloads.

No way he plays 4312 and no way El Sharaawy plays LCM. Have they ever played him there before?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Gordon Singer is expected to attend Milan-Roma tonight at San Siro, according to Corriere della Sera

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Expected lineup vs. Roma (4-3-3): Donnarumma; Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Ricardo Rodriguez; Kessie, Biglia, Bonaventura; Suso, Higuain, Calhanoglu [Sky].

lmao the same backline again?

roma are gonna coast

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's ok, Calabria fucks up only every other game.
And he already fucked up against Napoli.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Wtf no caldara AGAIN? How come

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wtf no caldara AGAIN? How come

why is this so surprising to some

he wont just become an undisputed starter like that... give the guy time, other than being in a completely new environment hes also got to adjust to playing 4 at the back (has he ever not played in a 3 man back line in Serie a?)

have a good feeling about this game

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Could go either 2-0 Milan or 0-2 Roma. No in between,

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
It's a 50/50 game. We have the advantage being at home and Roma having played a tough game against Atalanta on Monday night. 3 points against another top 4 rival would be the best response to the Napoli defeat.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
the countdown to Gattuso's sacking starts tonight. Conte by the end of September.

Last edited:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho