Fav. Players
Teofilo Cubillas, Jose Velasquez, Cesar Cueto
----Menez/SES-----Jackson
---------------Ibra-----------
-Kondogbia----------Van Ginkel*
------------Montolivo---------
DES---Mexes---Paletta---Abate
-----------D.Lopez------------

If we're aiming for someone after Jackson and Kondogbia I'd go for the * spot first. Isco or verrati as the dream. Bertolacci as the realistic one.

jasiom

AC Milan Capitan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini (always), Ambrosini, Pato, Huntelaar.
The spanish speaking LINK : D.Lopez > Laporte & Zapata > Mauri (arg) > Suso > Carlos Bacca.

1289618_AC_Milan.jpg

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Why?
How bout this:
-----------------Donna-------------------
------Musa----Romagnoli----De Vrij----
--Conti-------Badelj---Kessie------RR--
----------Suso-------------Bona---------
------------------Belotti------------------

A lot of creativity (Suso/Bona/Conti/RR) + a lot of defensive stability (3 CBs + 2 defensive mids). If we add Keita he can rotate with Suso/Bona.
Personally I am ok with this formation and I think we can easily walk into top 3.

Montella played in the Roma side that won the title and they played a 352. I don't see Kessie as a DM btw, he's much more of a box to box.

Montella also had a very unique tactical innovation with Fiorentina where he (using Cuadrado) alternated between 433 and 352 during a game.

I think he wants to repeat that next year. It all depends if we target another CB besides Musacchio.

433:

Abate---Musa---CB---Roma
-----------Montolivo
-----Kessie------Bona
Suso---------------------RR
-------------???

352: Abate pushes forward, RR drops back, Suso goes inside and Roma shifts from LB to LCB.

---Musa--CB---Roma
Abata---Montolivo---RR
----Kessie----Bona
-------Suso
------------???

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
giphy.gif

I'm still obsessed with the in-game transition between 433 and 3241. Here's something I made that explains the idea a bit more. Montella tried this late last year with Gomez and Vangioni, and i'm sure it was an experiment that he wants to expand on for this season.

It's ironic that Kessie looks like the most static player, but obviously his job would be running around getting the second balls.

In possession we'd be very similar to Conte's Chelsea. 343 with very wide and high wingbacks (Bonaventura/Conti). But we don't get the disadvantage of teams attacking us wide because we can defend with 2 lines of 4...

I really really like this and I hope this is the Montella plan.

Reaction score
Currently the club is not necessarily doing that well, having finished below Top 3 in the last few seasons, but with the change in owners as well as an exciting transfer window up their sleeve, I am extremely sure that Milan will be back to where they deservedly belong once more, i.e. competing in Europe with the likes of FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and its Serie A rival Juventus. AC Milan is one of best team ever . Since 4 years they play very bad but maybe after some years Milan can be again in football elite !

Some years ago when teams played with AC Milan they were scared ! They told themselfs that is is over ! AC Milan of Sacchi is considered best team ever !

And in general Milan is one of biggest !

It is an great club but with a black period ! I look up the schedule https://777score.com/football/teams/milan-2156 and looking forward for the plays this July!

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think it's actually hit me yet that Leo Bonucci is a Milan player.

Experiments with different formations in the same game with the same players.

We'd have a bit more flexibility also if we had Calhanoglu or Suso in place of Andre Silva, but i'd rather we have two strikers up front especially against weaker opposition. I'm guessing against stronger teams we will alternate between these two:

3511 In Possession

4141 In Defense

Phantomx

Only Milan
Reaction score
I don't think it's actually hit me yet that Leo Bonucci is a Milan player.

Experiments with different formations in the same game with the same players.

343:

We'd have a bit more flexibility also if we had Calhanoglu or Suso in place of Andre Silva, but i'd rather we have two strikers up front especially against weaker opposition. I'm guessing against stronger teams we will alternate between these two:

3511 In Possession

4141 In Defense

all this formations without Suso !!! :fp:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Post-mercato thoughts:

Starting formation should be a 4-man defence to be offensive enough to do well in Serie A. We aren't Juventus with a borderline madman shouting at the players from the touchline for 90 minutes or with a gifted 25 goal striker upfront. Getting offensive returns out of 3-5-2 needs special qualities like that.

The lopsided attack: This to me is crucial, and I think Montella prioritizes this too. We have different qualities on the two vertical sides. This naturally gives us the option to play in a different style on both sides which makes the attack flexible and allows us to transition better from attack to defense.

For now, Cutrone looks like the goalscoring lead man upfront. This could of course change later to Andre Silva, but I see this as Cutrone for now.

Supporting him, left side in offense is as follows: Borini, Calhanoglu/Bonaventura, Rodriguez. Borini does the hard work, moving inward with the ball, making space for the others, drawing fouls. Bona/Hakan looks to thread the ball ahead, always looking up for someone with space, Rodriguez does the running and the crossing. This is on paper really good in terms of qualities. Keeps the defence occupied, gives space to Cutrone and the right flank.

The alternate that I want to see here is: Kalinic, Hakan, Rodriguez. Only change being Kalinic comes behind and to the left of Cutrone instead of Borini. Now the style changes here. Kalinic's qualities aren't actually very different from Borini's except he will burst forward more and try to score as well, and will win high balls - which gives Bonucci another option to aim for. I dont think playing Kalinic instead of Borini will lead to any defensive problem as he is as industrious and selfless as anyone else. He won't lose the shape of the team by needlessly going forward.

Right side - Instantly flashier and more flamboyant, this will look more natural to the binge FM players. Suso is dynamic and sharp when the goal is sighted, Kessie is a proper world-class b2b, Conti is possibly the most offensive wingback in the world right now. In addition, Kessie and Conti have a natural understanding with each other too. Suso needs to improve the way he utilizes Conti. In the last few matches, there were several occasions when Conti was free and Suso didn't understand it. But this will come as he gets used to a fullback who actually wants to score goals.

The conventional right side allows Montella to focus more of his attacks down that side, while the left side holds fort. Left side however will have potential to 'shock and awe'. Kalinic instead of Borini will also lead to a more even spread of attacks between both sides.

Winning freekicks will be a very valuable tool for us this season, considering Hakan, Rodriguez and Suso's strengths in dispatching them to the goal. Conti, Borini and Kessie can all draw fouls well. Even Cutrone perhaps with what we've seen so far.

Biglia should really stay injury-free for us to successfully get the most out of these players in this style. If we lose Biglia, we need alternatives. That is also why trying out 3-5-2 whenever we get a chance is important.

Goals: Needless to say, we will not finish in the top 4 if we do not score goals. Since Ibra left, we have not scored goals properly. Serie A is becoming more and more a high-scoring league as each season passes. Last season, Roma and Napoli both scored over 90, Juve had 77, Lazio 74, Inter 72, Torino 71.. we had 57. It's very unlikely that we'll finish 4th without scoring at least 70 goals. It's not impossible, like Atalanta did, but it is unlikely. So where will the goals come from?

If playing style remains as we think, this is my best case scenario for Serie A goals:

Cutrone + Andre Silva (together): 15 goals.
Kalinic: 15
Suso: 10
Conti + Kessie: 10
Rodriguez + Calhanoglu + Borini (including freekicks): 10
Bonaventura: 5
Central defenders: 5
Biglia + Montolivo + Locatelli: 5

And that leaves us with 75 goals. Which might be enough if the defense remains tight.

In the winter, we might actually need a Cassano 2011 type signing to shore up the attack. Currently the attack is undeniably thin. If we play Kalinic, Cutrone and Suso, the bench is just Andre Silva and Borini. I'd really like to see one more wide attacker signed in the winter to help us reach our goals.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
^ nice essay, dork. Nobody's going to read it.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'll be spamming various threads with portions of this. The forum can't escape that clever strategy. See Lazio thread for example.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Post-mercato thoughts:

Starting formation should be a 4-man defence to be offensive enough to do well in Serie A. We aren't Juventus with a borderline madman shouting at the players from the touchline for 90 minutes or with a gifted 25 goal striker upfront. Getting offensive returns out of 3-5-2 needs special qualities like that.

The lopsided attack: This to me is crucial, and I think Montella prioritizes this too. We have different qualities on the two vertical sides. This naturally gives us the option to play in a different style on both sides which makes the attack flexible and allows us to transition better from attack to defense.

For now, Cutrone looks like the goalscoring lead man upfront. This could of course change later to Andre Silva, but I see this as Cutrone for now.

Supporting him, left side in offense is as follows: Borini, Calhanoglu/Bonaventura, Rodriguez. Borini does the hard work, moving inward with the ball, making space for the others, drawing fouls. Bona/Hakan looks to thread the ball ahead, always looking up for someone with space, Rodriguez does the running and the crossing. This is on paper really good in terms of qualities. Keeps the defence occupied, gives space to Cutrone and the right flank.

The alternate that I want to see here is: Kalinic, Hakan, Rodriguez. Only change being Kalinic comes behind and to the left of Cutrone instead of Borini. Now the style changes here. Kalinic's qualities aren't actually very different from Borini's except he will burst forward more and try to score as well, and will win high balls - which gives Bonucci another option to aim for. I dont think playing Kalinic instead of Borini will lead to any defensive problem as he is as industrious and selfless as anyone else. He won't lose the shape of the team by needlessly going forward.

Right side - Instantly flashier and more flamboyant, this will look more natural to the binge FM players. Suso is dynamic and sharp when the goal is sighted, Kessie is a proper world-class b2b, Conti is possibly the most offensive wingback in the world right now. In addition, Kessie and Conti have a natural understanding with each other too. Suso needs to improve the way he utilizes Conti. In the last few matches, there were several occasions when Conti was free and Suso didn't understand it. But this will come as he gets used to a fullback who actually wants to score goals.

The conventional right side allows Montella to focus more of his attacks down that side, while the left side holds fort. Left side however will have potential to 'shock and awe'. Kalinic instead of Borini will also lead to a more even spread of attacks between both sides.

Winning freekicks will be a very valuable tool for us this season, considering Hakan, Rodriguez and Suso's strengths in dispatching them to the goal. Conti, Borini and Kessie can all draw fouls well. Even Cutrone perhaps with what we've seen so far.

Biglia should really stay injury-free for us to successfully get the most out of these players in this style. If we lose Biglia, we need alternatives. That is also why trying out 3-5-2 whenever we get a chance is important.

Goals: Needless to say, we will not finish in the top 4 if we do not score goals. Since Ibra left, we have not scored goals properly. Serie A is becoming more and more a high-scoring league as each season passes. Last season, Roma and Napoli both scored over 90, Juve had 77, Lazio 74, Inter 72, Torino 71.. we had 57. It's very unlikely that we'll finish 4th without scoring at least 70 goals. It's not impossible, like Atalanta did, but it is unlikely. So where will the goals come from?

If playing style remains as we think, this is my best case scenario for Serie A goals:

Cutrone + Andre Silva (together): 15 goals.
Kalinic: 15
Suso: 10
Conti + Kessie: 10
Rodriguez + Calhanoglu + Borini (including freekicks): 10
Bonaventura: 5
Central defenders: 5
Biglia + Montolivo + Locatelli: 5

And that leaves us with 75 goals. Which might be enough if the defense remains tight.

In the winter, we might actually need a Cassano 2011 type signing to shore up the attack. Currently the attack is undeniably thin. If we play Kalinic, Cutrone and Suso, the bench is just Andre Silva and Borini. I'd really like to see one more wide attacker signed in the winter to help us reach our goals.

An average of 2 goals scored per game and an elite defense conceding less than a goal a game should be enough to secure top 4 I think. Will give a more thorough reply when I am at a computer but this is a good post :thumbsup:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:thumbsup: Yes 2 goals on average will get us to 76 which should be enough even with a defense that would concede 40-45 overall.

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score
why hasnt montella even tried the 3-4-3?

I think its a good formation that suits our team very well right now

it keeps the 3 men backline while keeps suso(one of our best players last season, and still is) in a comfortable position.

---Musacchio---leo---roma
conti---kessie--biglia--rr
---suso-kalinic-jack/hakan

we maintain our main assets:fullbacks, 3men backline, and we get to play the best players from last season in their appropiate positions.

suso and jack free to play as inside forwards or wingers.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
why hasnt montella even tried the 3-4-3?

I think its a good formation that suits our team very well right now

it keeps the 3 men backline while keeps suso(one of our best players last season, and still is) in a comfortable position.

---Musacchio---leo---roma
conti---kessie--biglia--rr
---suso-kalinic-jack/hakan

we maintain our main assets:fullbacks, 3men backline, and we get to play the best players from last season in their appropiate positions.

suso and jack free to play as inside forwards or wingers.

Probably because a midfield of 3 is safer and easier for a team with not much chemistry. Montella played 3-4-3 in the past so I think it is likely that we get there.
3-4-3(2-1) would be good for Suso and Bona, maybe not so much for Kessie.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Probably because a midfield of 3 is safer and easier for a team with not much chemistry. Montella played 3-4-3 in the past so I think it is likely that we get there.
3-4-3(2-1) would be good for Suso and Bona, maybe not so much for Kessie.

We're already playing a hybrid between 3511 and 3421, with the LCM shifting up in attacks.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Personally, I would like to see us lineup with a back four more often ... Rather than have our center backs pass the ball around, I'd rather possession be in our opponent's half with midfield and attack holding the ball.

Since team is still building chemistry and still needs more quality players, I'd go for two holding central midfielders.

4-2-3-1
Donna; RR, Romagnoli, Bonucci, Abate; Biglia/Monto/Loca, Kessie; Silva/Bona, Bona/Hakan, Suso; Kalinic/Silva/Curtone

Since Silva has pace, is a good dribbler and can be involved in building up play, I think we should try him out wide as we are desperately lacking a left winger ...

4-4-1-1
Donna; RR, Romagnoli, Bonucci, Abate; Bona/Hakan, Biglia/Monto/Loca, Kessie, Suso; Silva; Kalinic/Curtone

4-3-2-1 Christmas season ...
Donna; RR, Romagnoli, Bonucci, Abate; Bona/Hakan, Biglia/Monto/Loca, Kessie; Silva, Suso; Kalinic/Curtone

4-3-3 even ...
Donna; RR, Romagnoli, Bonucci, Abate; Bona/Hakan, Biglia/Monto/Loca, Kessie; Silva, Kalinic/Curtone, Suso

3 man defenses work when you have quality fullbacks. While we have brought in better options, I think they aren't yet at the level required in what is a competitive Serie A this season.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
4 men defense is nice. It's easier to execute and it's what we played last season.

However, our midfield and attack are completely different to what we had last season.
We don't really have the player for a 433.
And we don't really have the midfield for a 422.

Other formations are way too exotic.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I think I've had enough of this adamant passing from the back right from the goalie... It's not in our DNA...

Even Zambian national football started doing the same and conceded two goals in two games with mess ups which involved passes to and fro the goalie.

Even if I spend every day with my colleague from work, I know him well, but at one time or the other, I may be in a different wavelength to him... We are human after all, each with his own unique freegin finger prints...

So yeah am sick of holding my heart out of my chest as it skips beats when this nonsense frequently occurrs... Dida suddenly seeming a pillar of reliability, dependability...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
I think I've had enough of this adamant passing from the back right from the goalie... It's not in our DNA...

Even Zambian national football started doing the same and conceded two goals in two games with mess ups which involved passes to and fro the goalie.

Even if I spend every day with my colleague from work, I know him well, but at one time or the other, I may be in a different wavelength to him... We are human after all, each with his own unique freegin finger prints...

So yeah am sick of holding my heart out of my chest as it skips beats when this nonsense frequently occurrs... Dida suddenly seeming a pillar of reliability, dependability...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Passing from the back is ok when you have a GK with a commanding presence and a defense that's comfortable with the ball on their feet.

It's not fuckin ok when you have a trainwreck manning the goal whose only saving grace is that he makes a half decent save once in a while. Also not ok when you have an inexperienced defense backing him up.

Blade of Faith

A New Hope
Reaction score
Well it was just one match against Samp, but the classic 4-4-2 formation reminds me of the Man Utd treble 4-4-2. I think it'll be great if we can master this formation and get used to it as we don't lack any resources (maybe it's not good enough but indeed it worth a try).

The following is the rough comparison:

GK - Schmeichel // Donnarumma (Ideal GK, both are great when it's form)
FB -G Neville // Calabria (The academy)
FB - Irwin // R Rodriguez (Attacking Full-Back)
CB - Stam-Johnsen // Romagnoli - Caldara (Commanding and strength, just play push forward)
CM - Keane - Scholes // Kessie - Biglia (Strength and fluidity. But of course, this is the weakest spot, even a limping Scholes would done better in midfield, nobody can play Scholes)
Winger - Giggs // Suso (The Magician, the catalyst of football, reliable scorer)
Winger - Bechkham // Hakan (FK Specialist, accurate loft pass)
Forward - Andy Cole - Yorke // Higuain - Cutrone (Not exactly the same, but our duo could work together too)

Well it's just a wild imagination after all :lol:
Don't take it seriously...

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Two strikers is a breath of fresh air, modern football with 4-3-3 everywhere is boring as shit.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It's not a Berlusconian world anymore. We are playing with two strikers on paper, but Higuain is dropping deep for almost every move. It's really as much a 4-2-3-1 as a 4-4-2. These numbers are meaningless, the way players move is what matters.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
One thing I want to see change with the 442 is stopping our huge over reliance on wing play. Literally for years we have lacked playmaking midfielders and our attacks have always come from hybrid wide attacking midfielders. Always. You stop our wide play, you stop Milan from creating chances.

Now with two strikers, especially one with higuains quality, and seeing as they both find space at a world class level, they should be linking up more. It will make the team way less predictable and open up a lot of space for Suso, Kessie, Jack and Hakan. We've seen glimpses of Cutro and Higuain linking up but they don't find each other enough yet, it will come with more games. Think of the goals each had vs Roma and then samp, simple layoffs and spin moves around the box can add a new element to the attack.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
^This exactly is what I'd like Gattuso to learn from Giampaolo.. Marco Giampaolo is the master of central attacking play, almost as if he's inspired by Ancelotti's Milan.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^This exactly is what I'd like Gattuso to learn from Giampaolo.. Marco Giampaolo is the master of central attacking play, almost as if he's inspired by Ancelotti's Milan.

There was a period at the end of the Genoa game where they were pinned in their box, and Milan was moving the ball quickly and precisely right around their penalty area, I have missed that kind of football for so long. It takes quality to do that to the move the ball in tight spaces and still get players in behind, it shows that the team is improving. A lot of it goes through higuain, he's so crucial to our link up play