Week 24: AC Milan 1-1 Udinese | Sun 07/02/2016 15:00

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Berto should start in Bonaventura's spot.. With Boateng to come on if that fails.

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't know why but I think he got injured by that Poli pass at the end of the Palermo game.

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
His doing just fine with dragging defenders out of position.

Yes because we're doing extremely well against smaller teams when they sit deep :thumbsup:

Hold up play is best used by players who are not as mobile as him, and more strong physically.

A lot of modern forwards would disagree with you.

You need to read your FM handbook again.

Nice platitude.

I like Bacca a lot but there are some things he could improve. However, nowadays it seems one can't even say their thoughts without people getting butthurt.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
In order to be more effective against teams that sit deep.

If Bacca learned how to play like a proper CF, he would have more goals and would help break down these teams more easily.

giphy.gif

I respect your opinion allan, but anyone that criticize bacca deserves a slap. It isnt his fault, that our midfield is nonexistent.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
With a win tomorrow we will be at most 5 points off 3rd place.

Fiorentina drew today.
Now hopefully Verona and Sampdoria can help us out.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
The best CF would be a merge between Bacca & Adri.
Its no wonder that it was nice when we played with both.
Bacca could learn from Adri how to press the defenders more , how to participate in the build more & how to hold the ball with efficiency.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
his best asset is off ball movement and making runs into the box. if he has duties to press opponents and hold the ball more his poaching efficiency would decrease.

to get the best out of bacca is to just keep giving him service. having him play as a different type of striker wouldnt be wise imo.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri

Fiorentina drew today.

We can't rely on other teams. Just keep getting results and we'll be fine by the end of the season.

milanista_

Milan Icon
Reaction score

Fiorentina drew today.

I have a bad feeling about the game tomorrow. First of all we never take the chances when other teams drop points. The second is the XI tomorrow. Kucka on the right and Honda on the left is just :fp: :fp: . Playing two players out of position is so stupid and is screaming for a defeat. And the third is Bertolacci is going to start. :fp: that means we are playing with 10 men.

Probable Xl vs. Udinese (4-4-2):

Donnarumma; Abate, Alex, Romagnoli, Antonelli; Kucka, Montolivo, Bertolacci, Honda; Bacca, Niang. #MN

Last edited:

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I respect your opinion allan, but anyone that criticize bacca deserves a slap. It isnt his fault, that our midfield is nonexistent.

Believe me I know our midfield is mediocre as hell Tadej. I even got mad when Mihajlovic said Bacca should be more clinical (when he's already being clinical enough with little service :fp:).

I just wish when we're having a hard time breaking those annoying teams down, Bacca would try to pull defenders to him more so Bonaventura or Kucka can exploit that space.

The best CF would be a merge between Bacca & Adri.
Its no wonder that it was nice when we played with both.
Bacca could learn from Adri how to press the defenders more , how to participate in the build more & how to hold the ball with efficiency.

Adriano's hold up play is really good. I just wish his finishing was much better. I can't complain much about him though since he puts in a hard hustle every time he plays (even if he doesn't score).

his best asset is off ball movement and making runs into the box. if he has duties to press opponents and hold the ball more his poaching efficiency would decrease.

to get the best out of bacca is to just keep giving him service. having him play as a different type of striker wouldnt be wise imo.

Then Niang has to be benched for someone who can pull defenders in these games. With Bacca and Niang, we don't have someone who can hold up play or pull defenders. If we play a team that likes attacking us; we're ok since we can hit them with counters. But if we play a team that sits deep; we're going to struggle (which is evident due to the results against the small teams).

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score
allan, what you re saying makes no sense.

how can he pull players away, if the opposition is already sitting deep?

when udinese comes tomorrow and defends with 10 players, how is he going to make room for berto or kucka? make 3 defenders disappear?

that suarez gif, is that your idea of holding play :lol: suarez dribbling past 2 defenders? :lol::fp:

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
we don't have many options anyway

berto for bona

sub for boa if he sucks

done

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wtf did I just read. First I saw that hold up play is more valuable in games where the opponents sit deep, then I read how bacca doesn't know how to bend his runs to create space. Both are insane lol.

For one thing, bacca moves constantly when we have the ball. He knows how to read defenses very well and he is always looking to run in behind. That in itself opens up space for other players. Factor in how good of a player he is, and he'll always be getting extra attention from defenses as long as he is our best striker. That also opens up space. It's very weird to me that someone could criticize bacca's(an incredibly mobile player) ability to make smart runs and open the field for his teammates. No doubt jack and and niang are completely a decent amount of their take ons because of the attention bacca gets.

Second, hold up play is not a must vs deep back lines. That honestly makes no sense at all. While it's a great quality to have va any team and for any striker, I would never put "hold up ability" on the list of things that frequently beat a smaller side. If anything, hold up play is best used during matches that are either open, or where you have less of the ball, as it slows down the game and allows players to get forward. A great example would be balotelli vs Ajax two seasons ago. His ability to slow down the game and win free kicks was huge when we were a man down, and took a lot of pressure off the defense. Vital in a game where they are already under constant pressure and finding it hard to move forward.

If anything, something that's important against smaller, defensive minded teams and good for bacca to work on is his link up play. We all know he is great at making runs and getting onto balls into space, but his combination play is somewhat poor at times. Vs small times you need to move the ball quickly. It's the only thing that creates gaps in tight spaces. Bacca has poor passing technique, but he occasionally has a good one two with another player. I think he understands how, but his form let's him down sometimes.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Bacca is what he is at his age. We just need to get the best out of him. Niang is better at combination play and link up in tight spaces but he could work on that aspect too. This is something Milan needs to look at to help our problem of breaking down pesky smaller teams. Faster ball movement and link up in tight spaces

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
allan, what you re saying makes no sense.

how can he pull players away, if the opposition is already sitting deep?

when udinese comes tomorrow and defends with 10 players, how is he going to make room for berto or kucka? make 3 defenders disappear?

that suarez gif, is that your idea of holding play :lol: suarez dribbling past 2 defenders? :lol::fp:

Shevchenko used to do that a lot to open up space for Inzaghi or do you not remember this?

Also, I could have used a Pazzini gif but I decided to use Suarez to show that there is more than one way to hold up play.

As for your Udinese comment:

Just look at how deep Parma was sitting in this match but yet Honda scored thanks to Muntari pulling a defender to the side.

Counter attacks won't work against teams that like to defend deep, so one way to break them down is to drag their defenders out of position and open up space for runs from midfield.

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
If Bacca learned how to play like a proper CF, he would have more goals and would help break down these teams more easily.

carlos-bacca-sevilla-europa-league-trophy_3308840.jpg

sevilla_con_bacca_extendio_la_maldicion_del_benfica.jpg

1408226347_B97473868Z.1_20130517142256_000_GA5PUJI2.2-0.jpg

+ 14 goals in 26 games with us...
yh, definitely... molto calshio expert allan is right... bacca should learn to play like a proper cf :lol::lol::lol::fp::fp::fp::proud::proud::proud:

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Bacca just doesnt have the characteristic to a Target man which is what i think you mean by "proper CF". He just doesnt have the characteristics for it. It's like asking DES to start playing like Marcelo. He just doesnt have those characteristics. Bacca is a poacher with pace as his weapon.

Fusiproe12

Reaction score
Ancelotti: Bacca is a very dangerous player and I like him a lot. He reminds me a lot of Inzaghi. He is very good at attacking the space in behind the defence and of course he was of interest in Madrid.

:proud:

Read this forum often, comment hardly ever. Allan_Somewhere, could you please for the enlightenment of everyone, including Carlos himself, teach us all how to be a 'proper CF'..I'm sure you have vast experience in professional leagues, including Serie A and as such eagerly await your informative, trusted, and much relied upon opinions.

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
In order to be more effective against teams that sit deep.

smiley-shocked015.gif
smiley-shocked016.gif
smiley-shocked029.gif

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
+ 14 goals in 26 games with us...
yh, definitely... molto calshio expert allan is right... bacca should learn to play like a proper cf :lol::lol::lol::fp::fp::fp::proud::proud::proud:

This coming from the guy who wanted to try Bonaventura as a regista.

We should try him as regista like Verratti in ZZ's 433 (Pescara).

---

Bacca just doesnt have the characteristic to a Target man which is what i think you mean by "proper CF". He just doesnt have the characteristics for it. It's like asking DES to start playing like Marcelo. He just doesnt have those characteristics. Bacca is a poacher with pace as his weapon.

Bingo.

For the record I'm very happy with Bacca's contribution on the field. But as Goodfella said, he could learn a thing or two from Pazzini's movement (since Niang isn't going to develop into a CF and do the dirty work against these tight defenses).

Fusiproe12

Reaction score
This coming from the guy who wanted to try Bonaventura as a regista.

---

Hu_150527_deportes_UEL_bacca_llorando_0527.jpg

i've said like verratti in pescara with zeman (which in molto calshio expert allan's opinion isn't a regista :lol::lol::lol: )... how can you say that this was a bad idea, do you know how a zz's regista plays ? :proud: anyway was just an idea, i have not said that bonaventura should learn to play like a proper winger :lol:

he could learn a thing or two from Pazzini's movement

Bacca reminds me a lot of Inzaghi (Ancelotti).... But he wasn't a proper cf like Pazzini :proud:

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A great hold up play is always useful, regardless if it's an away game at Camp Nou or home game against Chievo. One of the reasons we've struggled in these last supposed-to-be-easy home games is that we couldn't hold possession like we used to. This wasn't all on the midfield and back-four. How many times did Bacca get dispossessed against Atalanta before the team could move up the field? A lot

As for link up play, he definitely needs to improve this as well, as I mentioned earlier, but it wasn't nearly this bad when he played with Adriano. There was at least some understanding between them, which you can't say about his "partnership" with Niang. Can't blame him for that one though, since Niang seem to even confuse himself.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
1-2

balotelli - lodi, zapata.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Adriano's hold up play is really good. I just wish his finishing was much better.
I read this a lot in here but Adri didnt waste chances so we can paint him as a bad finisher.
A great hold up play is always useful, regardless if it's an away game at Camp Nou or home game against Chievo. One of the reasons we've struggled in these last supposed-to-be-easy home games is that we couldn't hold possession like we used to. This wasn't all on the midfield and back-four. How many times did Bacca get dispossessed against Atalanta before the team could move up the field? A lot

As for link up play, he definitely needs to improve this as well, as I mentioned earlier, but it wasn't nearly this bad when he played with Adriano. There was at least some understanding between them, which you can't say about his "partnership" with Niang. Can't blame him for that one though, since Niang seem to even confuse himself.

That is a much more accurate statement than Allan's.
Bacca know how to move like a great Cf but he need to hold up the ball better , improve his build up play and pressure more the defenders.
Adri do all three much better than Bacca which explain why they formed a good duo.

Last edited:

Nasha

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Read this forum often, comment hardly ever. Allan_Somewhere, could you please for the enlightenment of everyone, including Carlos himself, teach us all how to be a 'proper CF'..I'm sure you have vast experience in professional leagues, including Serie A and as such eagerly await your informative, trusted, and much relied upon opinions.

:lol::lol::lol:

:star:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Yes because we're doing extremely well against smaller teams when they sit deep :thumbsup:

A lot of modern forwards would disagree with you.

Nice platitude.

I like Bacca a lot but there are some things he could improve. However, nowadays it seems one can't even say their thoughts without people getting butthurt.

Can't speak for everybody, but i gave you a troll response because ur post was pure fm-fanboy post.

I also think you're confusing modern forwards with complete forwards, which are very rare btw and you can count them on your fingers.

Bacca can drag players out of position very easy, if our midfield wasn't as static as a pole.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
I liked ass girl better.
Starting to regain hope in my milan, hope they won't disappoint

Cokata

E46
Reaction score
Bacca is not the type of strike who pulls defenders with him, or plays with his back to the goal. He is a runner, and if we had a top 3 midfield he would probably be now in the 20s for goals in Serie A. It would be perfect if our other starting striker is a stronger one who is great at holding up the ball, and harassing the defence, but you can't expect Bacca to do that

Schedule