Palermo VS Milan

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
Watching the game on GolTV now. It's like twenty minutes from the end. I watched Inter earlier on, I couldn't be arsed getting up for the live Juve game.

Agree with you, I think we were okay today. Away game at Palermo and a draw isn't making me suicidal. If Kaka and Seedorf had put their chances away everyone would be saying how good we were. Seedorf and Kaka have done it regularly, it's not the end of the world. Costacurta and Maldini were excellent.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
pnut408 said:
It's a little funny. When Milan gets a great result, everyone says that everyone played great, but when we draw, everyone sucked.
I never say that. You gotta dissect each match individually. And take into account the performance of the opponent. Lecce allowed us to get a great result + made our players look great. Yes, we seemed on fire + all + certainly didn't play bad, but we had it very very easy. Against a more organised, more disciplined team with great interception what looked just great 3 days ago suddenly looks quite ordinary + we're reminded of previous matches when we had difficulty to create + finish. I really wouldn't say Milan sucked tonight but their weaknesses were more pronounced. Whether Pancaro, determination, Kaka' or Crespo.

pnut408 said:
I think Kaka played very well. That time when he was being pulled and pushed, the guy got a yellow card but no penalty.
I thought he was rather unimpressive. Lotsa lost possession, lotsa inaccuracies. And when things don't go his way he has this habit of falling a bit too easily. I'd rate him 5.5 but just cos he gets a .5 bonus for being a pretty boy ;)

Last edited:

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
All the chances, especially in the second half were coming from him and Seedorf.
And if he fell that time when he actually WAS being fauled against, we would have had a penalty.
Oh well..hopefully we'll take our revenge in Coppa Italia on Wednesday.

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just finished watching the game and I have a couple of observations. Firstly, we were all over them in the second half and they were defending with 10 men and I was impressed with the patience and persistence we showed.

Secondly, and I'm kinding of comparing this with what I saw earlier from Inter. Aside from our regulars we don't have any what I would call "real matchwinners" on the bench/in the squad. In attack replacing Crespo with Tomasson, Tomasson with Inzaghi, Inzaghi with Crespo, Crespo for Tomasson- I don't see a difference in how the team would play. When Gilardino comes in next year same difference.

We're a great team, no question, but we can only play one way and if that for some reason doesn't work on the day, nothing can be done to make us get the points. If you remember in 2003, if it (what we kind of have now with Rui Costa there instead of Kaka) wasn't working, we would bring on Serginho and sudddenly play would be spread, it didn't always work, but it was a change.

Inter have a lot of problems with consistency with inconsistent players, but Recoba can do shit that other players cannot do and Martins too is a completely unique player. They may frustrate the hell out of you but they also supply some of the best moments for the team.

If it's the striker department where we should be looking for this "weapon", then what we should do and if four strikers is going to be the number and Gila is really on his way, is have Sheva, Gila and then pick one (and not two) from the three of Crespo, Inzaghi and Tomasson; and then we should buy someone who has something that none of these have: dribbling ability, ridiculous pace, height, a super shot whatever. Something of a suprise. We have consistent performers we need a bit of wanton genius.

None of starting eleven needs to be changed for a while, like I say, I don't see anyone better than us, but as time wears on and people get more used to us and how to play against us, a time will come when we need something else to win the tight matches we need to win.

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
well, were right back where we were 3 days ago.

Reaction score
What's wrong with our Milan last night?

They played like a completely different team to the one grabbed a big win of 5-2 last week

Vincent Gallo

Beginner
Reaction score
Edi said:
Dhorasoo also had a bad game.

Are you sure you saw the game?? Vikash has been terrific one more time. he was the only milan's player to accelerate, he made some great dribbles, won many many balls, provocated 5 fouls! he was the better on the field, with pirlo maybe.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Vincent Gallo said:
Edi said:
Dhorasoo also had a bad game.

Are you sure you saw the game?? Vikash has been terrific one more time. he was the only milan's player to accelerate, he made some great dribbles, won many many balls, provocated 5 fouls! he was the better on the field, with pirlo maybe.

Vinnie!!!!he was bad as the rest of the team!!!He had some dribbles and that is it.nothing came from it.also he had a lot of bad passes.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Bojangles said:
well, were right back where we were 3 days ago.

Yeah...after all the excitment of scoring 5 to Lecce. Palermo shut down our midfield, cutting the supply to Sheva and Crespo. We only had Rino as ball winner and he got too many in his hands. Kaka played badly many bad passes, he had several chances to score but failed again and again, Rui Costa should be in to replace him.

Up front Sheva worked alone all night. Crespo was too stationary to move around without the ball and open up the field. At defence, Billy once again shown that nothing beats experience. Vikash played well, really proving his worth.

Disappointing result.

MilanMania

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Ambrosini
savicevic10 said:
Just finished watching the game and I have a couple of observations. Firstly, we were all over them in the second half and they were defending with 10 men and I was impressed with the patience and persistence we showed.

Secondly, and I'm kinding of comparing this with what I saw earlier from Inter. Aside from our regulars we don't have any what I would call "real matchwinners" on the bench/in the squad. In attack replacing Crespo with Tomasson, Tomasson with Inzaghi, Inzaghi with Crespo, Crespo for Tomasson- I don't see a difference in how the team would play. When Gilardino comes in next year same difference.

We're a great team, no question, but we can only play one way and if that for some reason doesn't work on the day, nothing can be done to make us get the points. If you remember in 2003, if it (what we kind of have now with Rui Costa there instead of Kaka) wasn't working, we would bring on Serginho and sudddenly play would be spread, it didn't always work, but it was a change.

Inter have a lot of problems with consistency with inconsistent players, but Recoba can do shit that other players cannot do and Martins too is a completely unique player. They may frustrate the hell out of you but they also supply some of the best moments for the team.

If it's the striker department where we should be looking for this "weapon", then what we should do and if four strikers is going to be the number and Gila is really on his way, is have Sheva, Gila and then pick one (and not two) from the three of Crespo, Inzaghi and Tomasson; and then we should buy someone who has something that none of these have: dribbling ability, ridiculous pace, height, a super shot whatever. Something of a suprise. We have consistent performers we need a bit of wanton genius.

None of starting eleven needs to be changed for a while, like I say, I don't see anyone better than us, but as time wears on and people get more used to us and how to play against us, a time will come when we need something else to win the tight matches we need to win.

I agree that Rui Costa sometimes should give more chances, but I don't think Gilardino will give much differences. He is more or less the same as Crespo, but Hernan is mature than him. Keep cool, there in no problems on our strikers, Palermo defenced well last night.

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
As I said before, jury on CRESPO is still out iinspite of scoring 3 goals agaisnst LEECE. He can't do 1-2 like SHEVA and KAKA' do with each other.

There were 2 times when KAKA's could have passed the ball to him but unfortunately he was standing in offside position.

Anyway, on the contrary I am not critical of DHORASOO. He did try hard but unfortunately he was fouled by one guy 4 times in a row still the referee didn't caution that guy in the first half.

Took the referee another 2 fouls in second half to show MORENNI the yellow card finally. This things add up. If he would have shown yellow card beforehand he would have thought twice to stop the flow of the game and hault MILAN's attack by fouling DHORASOO.

In any case, we are back to square one. But one thing is for sure, our DEFENSE is great. What a game by MALDINI and COSTACURTA !!!

PANCARO this year sucks. In the entire match he couldn't even do a single center.

The only criticism I had of ANCELOTTI is that why didn't he substituted PANCARO with SERGINHO ?? Is SERGINHO unavailable due to injury ??

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MilanMania said:
I agree that Rui Costa sometimes should give more chances, but I don't think Gilardino will give much differences. He is more or less the same as Crespo, but Hernan is mature than him. Keep cool, there in no problems on our strikers, Palermo defenced well last night.

I know and I'm not worried, it's just that since this summer we will surely be welcoming some new additions to the squad (I don't see anyone coming in who still seen to be a starter, except Gilardino), I'm suggesting we look to what these new arrivals can ADD TO US rather than just be a replacement for whoever needs a rest or who is injured.

As we have it now, Rui Costa is Kaka-lite, Tomasson is Inzaghi-lite, Dhorassoo is Seedorf-lite, etc. It is a policy that does provide a continuity and that is great, but I think four strikers on the roster you can afford to have the fourth be a little different. Maybe this will all be solved when Rui Costa's replacement is bought, I don't know.

Whenever we bring on a sub, I feel it's more an admittance that whoever's being taken off isn't doing it, rather than the person coming on is going to make a difference.

It's the only criticism (if you can call it that) that I have about Milan right now.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Can't really say much about the performance last night...we did get a good result(hey a tie against Palermo in their isn't bad!), but not the result we actually needed. We were kind of close there, centimeters away from actually scoring. We are still near Juventus, the thing that is worrying me is that we aren't scoring in games we are dominating(Roma, Juventus, Palermo).
Agree with Savicevic, we lack of a player in our bench that can score match winners.

Pranjic

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio
savicevic10 said:
I know and I'm not worried, it's just that since this summer we will surely be welcoming some new additions to the squad (I don't see anyone coming in who still seen to be a starter, except Gilardino), I'm suggesting we look to what these new arrivals can ADD TO US rather than just be a replacement for whoever needs a rest or who is injured.

As we have it now, Rui Costa is Kaka-lite, Tomasson is Inzaghi-lite, Dhorassoo is Seedorf-lite, etc. It is a policy that does provide a continuity and that is great, but I think four strikers on the roster you can afford to have the fourth be a little different. Maybe this will all be solved when Rui Costa's replacement is bought, I don't know.
I think that the area of the team that needs fresh faces most is the midfield in the form of two wingers,actual wingers on the left and on the right,guys with pace who can put in quality crosses 8 out of 10 times, because Seedorf on the left and Gattuso on the right certainly can't be described as wingers!These kind of players could be the ones to come of the bench and help us change the pace of the game(we do have Serginho on the left who is a winger but I do fell like he's loosing his touch a bit and maybe some of his pace,the years have caught up with him)If the midfield performs and creates chances the strikers will put the ball in the net,we have the fire-power up front to guaranty that

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Very well written SAVICEVIC10. We always bring out our for the person who is not doing good and lite replica of him, more pushing for luck, if the lite version can get successful instead of regular version of it. Now, if the regular version fails, the probability of heavy is failing is definitely certain barriing some miracles.

We need to bring a complete different style of player as a sub to try a complete different set up. Of course, we don't have it now. To some extent I can SERGINHO playing in this role since he doesn't replicate any one of our midfielders such as KAKA', GATUSSO or DHORASOO or PIRLO or SEEDORF.

And once again both CRESPO and JDT are not at par as the first team standard of MILAN.

Secondly, you are also right to point out that INTER had some brillian indivudial talents who pull off the matches most of the times. But then again, I am happy to see that a system is winning rather a randomness or chaotic pattern winning. Remember, the operations management theory, 85% productivity relates to system where as 15% relates to randomness, or in this individual brilliance. That also implies why INTER has such a poor result in terms of consistency.

But at the same, to have at least one person or one moment in match like that doesn't hurt completely. So, when we are not going anywhere like yesterday, we can put it someone or may be 2 players who can play on a random scheme rather than in a set MILAN style. Ocassionaly that may help if we get stuck with smaller teams. We certainly don't have any player like this.

~Biski Biskit~

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
None, but thinking of some.
Edi said:
Vinnie!!!!he was bad as the rest of the team!!!He had some dribbles and that is it.nothing came from it.also he had a lot of bad passes.

Yeah all that and he also seemed to tire badly in the mid-second half.

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
alexandergsy said:
What's wrong with our Milan last night?

They played like a completely different team to the one grabbed a big win of 5-2 last week

Lecce's defense and Palermo's are completely different things. Our midfield was creating chances for the strikers without much resistance. If Palermo played like Lecce, we'd score 5 goals again.

I want Kaladze back on the left. :(

Dil dil

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan players espacially Maldini-Inzaghi
To be honest I fell so sad about draw and I feeld ashamed alot
can't believe great Milan draw to palermo . now we are 3 point behind
juve

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
Dil dil said:
To be honest I fell so sad about draw and I feeld ashamed alot
can't believe great Milan draw to palermo . now we are 3 point behind
juve
43-39=4 points behind.

SQD

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Escudé, Nesta, Maldini, Baresi, Toni, Pires, Mendieta, Beghetto
It was nothing sunday... what were they doing? What was Crespo doing? He played so well the last weeks and against Palermo he didn´t even showed a glance of his talents. Same for Sheva! Now we are again 4 points behind at Juve... we can´t lose more points like this :head:

Catherine

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KaKa, Sheva, Maldini, Cafu, Tomasson
Really disappointing, Can't believe we are 4 points behind Juve again. Hats off to Palermo, their defence was extremely strong.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Pranjic said:
I think that the area of the team that needs fresh faces most is the midfield in the form of two wingers,actual wingers on the left and on the right,guys with pace who can put in quality crosses 8 out of 10 times, because Seedorf on the left and Gattuso on the right certainly can't be described as wingers!These kind of players could be the ones to come of the bench and help us change the pace of the game(we do have Serginho on the left who is a winger but I do fell like he's loosing his touch a bit and maybe some of his pace,the years have caught up with him)If the midfield performs and creates chances the strikers will put the ball in the net,we have the fire-power up front to guaranty that
100% true. And I remember having said sth along these lines already looong time ago when I joined this place.

Since then our lack of width has been dealt with by adding a 32-year old + a 34-year old to cover the wings full-length. Of course it kinda worked well last season, at least domestically, when dudes were a year younger + not hampered by injury/surgery (Pancaro), but still... forcing our oldest players to do one of the most strenuous jobs out there is kinda pathetic.

This year, Cafu hangs out in midfield as a rule, often leaving the back exposed, + Pancaro is happy he hasn't collapsed yet after a run along the flank + then people still want him to get some accurate crosses in... :o

Serginho looks finished, he hasn't been able to put one decent cross for at least a year.

I wonder what Galliani + co have in mind for next season, can't help thinking Jankulovski etc are just rumours + we'll stick with the old guys yet another year (say hello to relegation).

This Milan needs rejuvenation, period. And rejuvenation doesn't mean eleven 19-year-olds, as some here don't get tired to proclaim as my alleged opinion, 20-27year olds will do :tongue:

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
Passion for *9* said:
20-27year olds will do :tongue:
ahhh....on a personal note......I am going to be an old goat this year. :rolleyes:

Both posts are solid in foundation however.

Schedule