Week 28: Milan - Inter 17/03/2018 20:30 CET

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Hopefully Kessie starts an individual training program with finishing in focus. If not now then in summer. With all the clear scoring chances he had he'd be the most scoring midfielder in europe. He could have finished of so many games and could even had a hattrick against Chievo ffs :lol:

It's important he starts scoring at his chances so we can finish off our games without being nervous. Hopefully he scores against Inter, Ill get mad if he this game misses 2-3 clear scoring chances and bury the game

Last edited:

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Lautaro is suspended for Eintracht, so he'll be rested and ready for us.

I can't get over the worry that the in-form team always loses the derby. I hope Gattuso's press conference, team talk etc is all about how this match is NOT decisive. We need to play this with a light heart, knowing we'd still end the week 4th even if we lose.

Calhanoglu and Paqueta against their right side will generate our best opportunities.

I know what you mean. I am worried/nervous too. But I also like to think that form will be decisive on Sunday. Sometimes it's just a prosaic matter of who comes in the derby in good shape. We have an opportunity to really hammer Inter here.

I wonder how many of the members on here are going. There was talk of a few.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Just get some useful balls to piatek, and kessie for the love of god stop shooting. Pass the damn ball.

we already lack goals from midfield. kessie should not stop shooting, he should however be given training session full of shooting drills only.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
last few games we looked slow and clueless both on and off the ball. inter may have been as bad as us but they seem to have some pace(based on yesterday's game). last time we faced them we played like scared little kittens. frustrating them might be a good tactic but we have to be clinical up front(except for piatek). hakan did well against chievo but paqueta played his worst game for us. hope he can shake it off and have good link up with hakan. i don't mind samu starting but suso usually shows up against inter.
all in all we need to improve our attacking play a lot. i liked hakan's super quick passing yesterday. hope to see more of that and less of paqueta's ball hogging. suso and kessie goal would be great.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I don't think Miranda was going to start anyway, but if Brozovic misses the game that's a big blow for them. Especially if Nainggolan misses also. Their midfield would be Vecino, Gagliardini and Joao Mario most likely with only Borja Valero as a sub. Or am I missing someone?

Perisic is back and he's by far their most threatening player. Will probably be Politano on the other side with Lautaro up front.

Not sure who their fullbacks will be but definitely Skriniar and De Vrij at the back.

Seems like an ok 11, but we should be favorites all things considered. We have major issues going forward but we have Piatek, and watching Inter the past few weeks they have been just as bad. The difference is that we have a much better defensive organization. I wouldn't mind a game where we cede possession and hit them on the break. They will not break us down especially without Icardi.

Based on how other top teams have challenged us their gameplan will be to rush Bakayoko during transitions and counterpress him specifically with more than one player, preferably two or more coming in different directions. I really hope Gattuso has been working on this with Bakayoko. He needs to sense when this is about to happen and just pass back without turning into trouble. Other than this i'm not worried about much. We have a great option of finding space behind their midfield duo during breaks, with Paqueta especially and also Kessie taking advantage. Hope we don't decide to play the usual gameplan of playing the ball wide and then aiming a cross into Piatek or into the far post. Won't work with Skriniar and De Vrij back there although Suso usually has a good day against Asamoah. Maybe a trademark Suso shot is a good option? Joao Mario and Perisic don't track back as much and their midfield will be busy with Kessie and Paqueta so Suso will have lots of room.

My guess is a narrow win and Suso with the goal, or maybe Piatek off a rebound from a Suso shot.

Also, the fact that Inter will be playing midweek without midfielders is going to be huge. I doubt they're going to rotate much. Lautaro won't play for suspension (I think) and most likely they'll play Borja Valero, but at least two midfielders will play both games. They'll have to play Keita up front so most likely Perisic also starts? I don't know. Either they fold in the Europa League and play a fully rotated side or they risk playing some starters like Perisic and have them exhausted for the derby. Imagine if they play extra time too...

Thanks, this post was pleasing to both eyes and mind.

I hope they play their best XI and lose in extra time.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I agree with everyone about Kessie. Maybe this is the game where he finally has his release and delivers a 10/10 game with two goals. He's certainly capable, just has to calibrate his eye-foot coordination for that final shot. Don't forget that perfect dink he had a few games back.

I hope brk is right about Suso being decisive here, it's certainly available with a weak and possible tired Inter defensive left side. After being shit for so many weeks he owes us fans a great game.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think a large part of Bakayoko's struggles recently is down to fatigue, which affects the mental aspect just as much as the physical side. His decision making was a bit slower and teams really punished us by pressing the hell out of him. All he has to do is get those passes off quicker and not try to beast every player that presses him. Get the ball, spot the pass, send it. That's easier said than done, especially when tired.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Miranda was going to start anyway, but if Brozovic misses the game that's a big blow for them. Especially if Nainggolan misses also. Their midfield would be Vecino, Gagliardini and Joao Mario most likely with only Borja Valero as a sub. Or am I missing someone?

Perisic is back and he's by far their most threatening player. Will probably be Politano on the other side with Lautaro up front.

Not sure who their fullbacks will be but definitely Skriniar and De Vrij at the back.

Seems like an ok 11, but we should be favorites all things considered. We have major issues going forward but we have Piatek, and watching Inter the past few weeks they have been just as bad. The difference is that we have a much better defensive organization. I wouldn't mind a game where we cede possession and hit them on the break. They will not break us down especially without Icardi.

Based on how other top teams have challenged us their gameplan will be to rush Bakayoko during transitions and counterpress him specifically with more than one player, preferably two or more coming in different directions. I really hope Gattuso has been working on this with Bakayoko. He needs to sense when this is about to happen and just pass back without turning into trouble. Other than this i'm not worried about much. We have a great option of finding space behind their midfield duo during breaks, with Paqueta especially and also Kessie taking advantage. Hope we don't decide to play the usual gameplan of playing the ball wide and then aiming a cross into Piatek or into the far post. Won't work with Skriniar and De Vrij back there although Suso usually has a good day against Asamoah. Maybe a trademark Suso shot is a good option? Joao Mario and Perisic don't track back as much and their midfield will be busy with Kessie and Paqueta so Suso will have lots of room.

My guess is a narrow win and Suso with the goal, or maybe Piatek off a rebound from a Suso shot.

Also, the fact that Inter will be playing midweek without midfielders is going to be huge. I doubt they're going to rotate much. Lautaro won't play for suspension (I think) and most likely they'll play Borja Valero, but at least two midfielders will play both games. They'll have to play Keita up front so most likely Perisic also starts? I don't know. Either they fold in the Europa League and play a fully rotated side or they risk playing some starters like Perisic and have them exhausted for the derby. Imagine if they play extra time too...

:star::star::star:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

This is a top-class analysis. Do you write this only for the big matches?

Thanks everyone for the :thumbsup: on the post

I used to do a lot more when I was excited about Montella doing a hybrid 352-433, that's something I always wanted to see again since his Fiorentina days. There's not much nuance in grintics so there's usually not much to talk about. It's a fairly typical 451 with some tweaks since the wingers are atypical.

If anyone is expecting an open game i'd caution them to tone down their expectations. Unless a team completely collapses this will be a very boring game. We're well matched, both pairs of fullbacks are defensive minded (Asamoah won't dare leave Suso too free) and both attackers have a spare defender on his ass. We don't even have a free man in the middle (usually Bakayoko) since Joao Mario will play ahead of the duo. Every player is matched very closely. It should be a very scrappy game with no space and we'll probably just let them have the ball and break when we can. Pure, distilled Grintics.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fitness seems to have been the deciding factor in the last several derbies. I think, for once, we should at least be as fit as Inter going into this one. Several times over the last few years we've been gassed and made to suffer around the 60th minute.

Hannibal

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Shevchenko
Hoping for a 0-0 draw in the Europa League for Inter, with them losing in extra time, would be even better if it was against the run of play. They will be physically and mentally drained.

tonyb

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Zlatan, Zola
Hoping for a 0-0 draw in the Europa League for Inter, with them losing in extra time, would be even better if it was against the run of play. They will be physically and mentally drained.

Why would you want them to lose in extra time? I hope they win in extra time, therefore having another two EL fixtures at least.

+ I actually cheer on the Italian teams in europe. Less so Inter and Juventus.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
we should easily dominate the midfield battle and win most of the 50 - 50 balls

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Why would you want them to lose in extra time? I hope they win in extra time, therefore having another two EL fixtures at least.

+ I actually cheer on the Italian teams in europe. Less so Inter and Juventus.

I agree, i'd rather they win while suffering.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
fast forward time pls

tschief

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I am worried/nervous too. But I also like to think that form will be decisive on Sunday. Sometimes it's just a prosaic matter of who comes in the derby in good shape. We have an opportunity to really hammer Inter here.

I wonder how many of the members on here are going. There was talk of a few.

i am going, dont know about anyone else though

Will post some pictures and maybe videos after the match if i'll remember taking some during the match :D

Last edited:

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
i am going, dont know about anyone else though

Will post some pictures and maybe videos after the match if i'll remember taking some during the match :D

Nice! Where are you sitting?

tschief

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Nice! Where are you sitting?

Sector 158, first row :proud:

Its only my second time in the san siro, first one was some random ass game against chievo or some other team in relegation around 2015/16.. the stadium was not even close to half full :lol:

so i think the atmosphere this time around will be much different

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
Sector 158, first row :proud:

Its only my second time in the san siro, first one was some random ass game against chievo or some other team in relegation around 2015/16.. the stadium was not even close to half full :lol:

so i think the atmosphere this time around will be much different

Yeah, I'd say so. Enjoy and share lots of pics!

milanpalermo23

Fanta-allenatore
Reaction score
bakayoko better start this one.

biglia played good, but baka deserves the start for sure

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
It's great to have both Biglia and Bakayoko available as it doesn't let the opposition to plan and stick to a gameplan the same way Sassuolo could do after watching the Lazio game iirc. Both teams stacked players on Bakayoko when we were in transition and it caused a lot of trouble.

ardezzo

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ambrosini
Thanks everyone for the :thumbsup: on the post

I used to do a lot more when I was excited about Montella doing a hybrid 352-433, that's something I always wanted to see again since his Fiorentina days. There's not much nuance in grintics so there's usually not much to talk about. It's a fairly typical 451 with some tweaks since the wingers are atypical.

If anyone is expecting an open game i'd caution them to tone down their expectations. Unless a team completely collapses this will be a very boring game. We're well matched, both pairs of fullbacks are defensive minded (Asamoah won't dare leave Suso too free) and both attackers have a spare defender on his ass. We don't even have a free man in the middle (usually Bakayoko) since Joao Mario will play ahead of the duo. Every player is matched very closely. It should be a very scrappy game with no space and we'll probably just let them have the ball and break when we can. Pure, distilled Grintics.

agree, I'm expecting a boring game with both team give more attention to their defences. every gap will be filled, and physical clashes everywhere

I hope Gattuso would solve our counter attack problem, there's always someone failed to link up the pass in crucial moment thus breaking our chances :fp:

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
So many things indicates that we should we this:

- We're at "home"
- They're playing without Icardi, Nainggolan, Brozovic (?), Miranda
- They're playing a tough match against Eintract Frankfurt 3 days before the derby
- We're in much better form than them & play better than them
- We have Piatek, they don't

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Any info on Nainggolan and Brozovic?

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Any info on Nainggolan and Brozovic?

It's almost impossible that Inter midfielder Nainggolan will be available to face Milan in the #DerbyMilano with a calf injury.

[Gazzetta dello Sport]

No idea on Brozo, but probably on the bench at the most I'd say.

CDarius

Milan Icon
Reaction score
2ugnja9.png

Inter possible line-up and tactics already on our locker room

Schedule