Prediction League

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will you be interested in participating into a prediction league about Serie A, run by our own scharatz? [scharatz said he wants his name attached to the prediction league -- forget it! :D].

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a competition where you predict the scores, Serie A for example. You get one point if you've got the winner right and you are awarded an extra point if you've got the result right. You predict the results of a round a couple of days before the round takes place, in a thread.

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
Yeah, I am always for more interactive stuff. I think that it would also help with getting people to come back and visit the site more often. How do you want to handel it? These are my thoughts:

1. I am thinking that each week there is a new thread with a list of games for the upcomming week. Just like there is in the tatics forum.
For the most part the games are on Sat. and Sun., So I think people would need to have their picks in by friday for the weekend games. It is up to you if you want to include the weekday games. We would have to figure this part out. I have some thoughts, but we'll deal with it later.

2. A new thread would be started each week w/ a list of all the upcomming weekends games. Involved people would list their pics and scharatz could add them up when the games are done. In the Seria A Predictions Forum there should be one locked forum that only the moderator of the forum can change to update a running point total. I can help you with this if you want because I have more free time on the weekends, when the games end there is is usually latter in the evening, but for me the sunday night game ends at around 11:00am sunday here so I have all day to update the scores and overall point totals. In the locked forum we can keep a running list of how everyone is doing overall and add it up week by week. This makes it more improtant for people to visit the site and to place their picks weekly, if not they will miss out on the points for that week.

Does this make sence to you? Let me know, I think it is a pretty good system, but everything should be worked out in detail so there is no confusion. I am more than happy to help run this game w/ scharatz, as I have done run them in the past including a smaller version I did with my friends from the world cup. :D

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's exactly the way I wanted for the competition to be run, Seamus. Thing is there will only be Serie A games, and usualy Serie A games are always played in weekend, therefore it will be highly unlikely for them to be played in the middle of the week - Wednesday for example. However, no matter when they played, the thread with the upcoming fixtures should be posted one day after the end of the previous round. I would also like you to post the round results and overall results after each round in the thread of that round, so that people will have fun discussing it.

You should name your threads with the fixtures this way:
SAPL #1

That's for round one. And so on. You get my point.

I'll be adding you as a mod there a long with scharatz. I'm sure he won't mind. :D

Regards,
David

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Here is how I see it.

1. The SAPL should have an official thread titled Official Seria A Predictions Standings in which we would keep track of the overall score of everyone. Scharatz and I would keep track of the official point total which we will update on Sunday night or Monday. I would like the official thread to be psuedo-locked so only scharatz and I (or You) can post in it. The first post should be the master total which we would update weekly.

2. Each week scharatz and I will start a new thread in the SAPL forum titled SAPL Week #1 (and so on...) with the 1st post of each week containing a list of the games for the next weekend and the date. In the event that a game is played during the week we will NOT include it in the predictions. That gives everyone atleast 4 days to post their predictions. That week's forum should be locked on Friday to prevent cheating. After the games have been played Scharatz and I would go into the locked forum of that week unlock-it and post the results from that week's games + how everyone scored for that week, that way people could talk about how they did the previous week. Then we would go into The Official SAPL Standing Thread and adjust the overall total for everyone.

I might even be willing to offer a prize to the winner. Like I said earlier, I have a lot of Milan stuff and I would be will to part with something for the Seria A prediction champion. I would have to see what I have and think about it but it is a possibility. In the least I will send the winner a copy of the tape I made with all of the World Cup goals, I just hope that have a VCR. :D

Can all of this be done? How does it sound? I need to talk to scharatz to plan who will do what to prevent people being given credit 2 times in one week, or things being messed up, but that shouldn't be hard. In fact this shouild be pretty easy for scharatz and I to run.

Scharatz are you there. I feel like I took over your idea a little so I want your imput. What do you think? Any Thoughts or Suggestions?

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
2. Predictions should be allowed even half hour before the first match. You should leave the topic open, because if anyone tries to edit his picks after the matches, then it will show up at the bottom of his post [like: 'Last edited by blah blah blah'].

Seamus, if you plan on giving something to the winner, then tell me what it is and I'll advertise it on the site. This way we may get more members in the forums.

Regards,
David

efford

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
sounds fun.. im sure it will attract more users and keep the users we currently have... Also we have a little fun :D

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
David - Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:22

2. Predictions should be allowed even half hour before the first match. You should leave the topic open, because if anyone tries to edit his picks after the matches, then it will show up at the bottom of his post [like: 'Last edited by blah blah blah'].

Seamus, if you plan on giving something to the winner, then tell me what it is and I'll advertise it on the site. This way we may get more members in the forums.

2. Alright - I guess we can always tell who did what when - so it isn't a big deal to lock the weekly predictions. Is there a way to make the Overall Predictions Standing so that only the 3 of us could update it?

On the prize thing I will look when I get home and see what I have and let you know. :D I have an all white AC Milan ball that I got on ebay, but the shipping is expensive, especially oversee, but that is a possibility as well as some other stuff.

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
David - Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:22

2. Alright - I guess we can always tell who did what when - so it isn't a big deal to lock the weekly predictions. Is there a way to make the Overall Predictions Standing so that only the 3 of us could update it?

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seamus said:
Is there a way to make the Overall Predictions Standing so that only the 3 of us could update it?

By locking it. ;)

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
seamus, once you lock the threadm only moderators of the forum and administrator can post :smileani:

i agree with you about pred league. i can't actually disagree because that has to be the rule. it can't be any different :D

i talked with david on MSN yesterday about this. i'll make an official introduction thread in pre league forum :)
so ppl can post their suggestions there

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We also need some delimiters in case at the end of the league two or more players will be on level.

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
the chance of two or more player ending up with the same number of points after 34x9 games is unbelieveable! (what a sencante!?) :)

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
In the odd case that 2 people are tied. The winner should be selected by:

Whoever had the greater # of correct results.

If both are still tied, then I don't know what we could pick to settle the winner? Any Ideas?

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sounds good to me. To if there is a tie then the winner wil be decided by:

1. # of correct results

if still tied.

2. # of Milan games correct.

:devil2:

Schedule