Japan - Turkey

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
fifaworldcup.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hasan Sas drives Turkish World Cup hopes

The shaven-headed, bustling midfielder on whom so many Turkish hopes of World Cup glory depend is a tangle of contradictions and bottled-up energies.

The player who put his fist through a window last season in a changing room row over a defensive error was the same Hasan Sas whose poker face after scoring against Brazil surprised many.

It was Turkey's first World Cup goal in 48 years and it put them 1-0 up against Brazil, but shaven-headed Hasan barely smiled when he slammed home after ghosting behind Brazil's back line.

"It was weird after I scored. It just wasn't in me to celebrate. I was surprised at that and looked around but I just couldn't celebrate the goal like my team mates," Hasan said.

He's getting plenty of practice, though. The left-winger has scored two of Turkey's five goals so far and provided the passes that made another two and earned Turkey a place in the last 16, where they meet Japan in Miyagi on Tuesday.

Hasan has a strain in his right thigh but staff are hopeful he will recover in time for Japan.

Of the three attacking midfielders coach Senol Gunes has built his side around, Hasan is the one who has paid dividends.

"Knowing that (striker) Hakan Sukur was always going to be closely marked, Gunes is using Hasan as a hidden weapon behind the striker," says football commentator Fatih Dogan of the Fotomac newspaper. "It worked against Brazil and China...he's fast and unpredictable, that's what causes opponents problems."

Terse and withdrawn with the press, Hasan is a scurrying ball of energy on the field, harrying opponents in the midfield before launching himself on his trademark raids down the left flank.

He has a strong left foot, but will often check himself to bring the ball to his right before seeking a chance in the box.

He put his fist through a changing room window last season in a row over who was responsible for giving away a last-minute penalty against Roma in the Champions League.

It was the season when he finally came good for Galatasaray, winning the hearts of fans for loyal performances despite injuries and the bandaged arm.

It was also the season when European competition taught him to release the ball early and not try to beat the one extra man that had often seen him lose possession.

But his career at Galatasaray almost stopped before it began with a doping test soon after a 1998 transfer from Ankaragucu. Hasan blamed the positive test on an ingredient in an over-the-counter cold cure.

He was sidelined for six months and it took him another year to rebuild form and regain his first-team place.

International interest in the player is building and he might have moved to Nantes in France before the World Cup but talks broke down.

It was coach Fatih Terim who brought Hasan to Galatasaray and with Terim back in charge at Ali Sami Yen and Hasan's contract running to 2003, the club will be reluctant to part with him now.

Schedule