The 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Friendly that will eventually just mean that non of the ones that played yesterday will play:

Argentina 3 Costa Rica 2

We played what basically was the U-20 team of last year (with 2-3 additions, only one over 30, the other two were 25 or less). Argentina played with the best possible group of players from their championship (bar Veron).

Not bad really, well, I can guarantee you that maybe just Palermo and one other will be in Argentina's WC squad, but we played well. The WC is so going to miss us :o. No seriously there's this kid, Estrada, plays for my team, the assist he made for our second goal was mouthwatering, and he made like 3-4 more like that that were wasted. Argentina's first 2 goals were fluky, and the first one was facepalm worthy, typical problem when we face teams that have someone that is very mentioned in our media, our kepper saw Palermo while he was going to take clear the ball, and he got scared and cleared it so badly.

adriancg

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Buffon, Fábregas, Rino, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Zidane, Kaká, R9, Pato, Agüero, Thiago Silva, Jovetic
Cabañas had a relapse. Apparently, the brain edema just wont budge. :(

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Cabanas wife said that he is recovering slowly.

FaRa13

Kuq e Zi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Ballack, Pirlo, Gerrard, van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi
turns out this south africa experiment might have been a bad idea after all. forget the whole togo issue(i.e. security) but sources are saying that they are not selling ticket packages at all and that they are way too expensive to buy

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Pato, Balotelli
Cabanas wife said that he is recovering slowly.

Cabanas "more stable" as swelling on brain goes down

Dr Ernesto Martinez Duhart told a press conference that, although Cabanas remains in a serious condition, there has been a slight improvement.

"Salvador remains delicate, but there are improvements," Dr Duhart said on Club America's official website. "The new study indicates that the swelling is beginning to subside. The signs are more stable - this was the best day since he arrived."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=733101&sec=global&cc=5901

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
for what it's worth... goal.com:

World Cup 2010: Italy Coach Marcello Lippi Picks 16 Certainties For South Africa - Report
Lippi has picked the first 16 of his eventual 23-man Azzurri World Cup squad...

By Salvatore Landolina
Feb 3, 2010 1:45:00 PM

Marcello Lippi has chosen the first 16 of his final 23-man squad for the World Cup.

La Gazzetta dello Sport claims 16 to 17 players who will be certainties for Italy have been chosen, with the rest having just four months to make it into the squad.

The three goalkeepers are Gianluigi Buffon, Federico Marchetti and Morgan De Sanctis.

In defence, the certainties are believed to be Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Grosso, Fabio Cannavaro, Giorgio Chiellini, Nicola Legrottaglie and Domenico Criscito. Salvatore Bocchetti, Alessandro Gamberini and Leonardo Bonucci will also be fighting for a call-up. Davide Santon is an outsider, while there are no guarantees of an Alessandro Nesta return.

The midfielders who will go to South Africa are Daniele De Rossi, Mauro Camoranesi, Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio and Gennaro Gattuso, so long as the Milan man can prove his fitness. Riccardo Montolivo and Simone Perrotta will face a tough test to earn the final midfield place.

Vincenzo Iaquinta and Alberto Gilardino pick themselves in the forward line, with Luca Toni being an alternative to the Fiorentina man over Giampaolo Pazzini and Marco Borriello. Francesco Totti is also expected to play, but this has not been confirmed.

Giuseppe Rossi, Fabio Quagliarella, Antonio Di Natale and Simone Pepe will all fight each other for the final shirt.

As for Mario Balotelli and Antonio Cassano, they will be waiting for a future call-up in hope more than expectation.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Don't really understand why wingback Santon is an outsider because of CB Nesta.

Ambrosini is not mentioned.:( ...I mean, he deserves at least to be in the Montolivo/Perrotta list...

Cassano is mentioned... :eek: :tongue:

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
for what it's worth... goal.com:

kincks_crap_4.gif

though it's usual Italian journalism crazyness.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
The three goalkeepers are Gianluigi Buffon, Federico Marchetti and Morgan De Sanctis.

In defence, the certainties are believed to be Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Grosso, Fabio Cannavaro, Giorgio Chiellini, Nicola Legrottaglie and Domenico Criscito. Salvatore Bocchetti, Alessandro Gamberini and Leonardo Bonucci will also be fighting for a call-up. Davide Santon is an outsider, while there are no guarantees of an Alessandro Nesta return.

The midfielders who will go to South Africa are Daniele De Rossi, Mauro Camoranesi, Andrea Pirlo, Claudio Marchisio and Gennaro Gattuso, so long as the Milan man can prove his fitness. Riccardo Montolivo and Simone Perrotta will face a tough test to earn the final midfield place.

Vincenzo Iaquinta and Alberto Gilardino pick themselves in the forward line, with Luca Toni being an alternative to the Fiorentina man over Giampaolo Pazzini and Marco Borriello. Francesco Totti is also expected to play, but this has not been confirmed.

Giuseppe Rossi, Fabio Quagliarella, Antonio Di Natale and Simone Pepe will all fight each other for the final shirt.

As for Mario Balotelli and Antonio Cassano, they will be waiting for a future call-up in hope more than expectation.

If this is true, Lippi is an idiot. well, more of one than we already knew. Gattuso? If he wants a DM from Milan, take Ambro, he has been much better, or a DM in general, Angelo Palombo for Samp.

Iaquinta? Toni(potentially)? Totti? How about Pazzini, Borri, and Cassano? Camoransi is old and has been hurt, there are better players out there, what about Fabrizo Micoli or someone like that?

Canna is the captain, but he is 38 and he should not be a starter, and he probably shouldnt even be on the squad.

Nicola Legrottaglie flat out sucks. There are a lot of better CBs than him, and its not like he is young enough to get better. Honestly, both the Bari boys, Paolo Canna, Bocchetti, Bovo, Barzagli, Gamberini, and others are much better.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
General Chrissy Dorkism [img][/QUOTE]

I'd actually say a fit (emphasis on that) Iaquinta is an asset to Italian NT cause he can play variety of positions and thats what you want on the bench....

no defense for leggrotaglie though. Literally in terms of ability, and reason for being on the team

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
I'd actually say a fit (emphasis on that) Iaquinta is an asset to Italian NT cause he can play variety of positions and thats what you want on the bench....

no defense for leggrotaglie though. Literally in terms of ability, and reason for being on the team

both are Jube players, though I bit agree about the Iaquinta part, he's versatility does gets him a place (on the bench that is...) but like you said if he is fit..(though he usually gives nothing much for Italy in tournament level)

Still can't really figure out how Legro got to be on the team :head::head:

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

No way can you classify him as an asset, ya dork. Does he even play regularly for JuBe? What makes him worthy to be GURANTEED a spot in the national team? It makes no sense. Any one of Rossi/Borriello/Pazzini/Cassano etc. would be better than him IMO. Besides, he's always irritated me for some reason. Maybe it's his face, or the way he runs - but hey that's just me being superficial. :o

I remember someone saying that this is becoming the team of "Lippi's man-crushes".. couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
ladies and gentlemen jubentus is competing for wc this year

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
People are paranoid about Lippi.

anyone said:
giant list of Lippi's picks you've disagreed with, all of which have a logical basis you don't want to see

I don't care, you're still paranoid. And I bet you hated his squad for the last World Cup as well.

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Lol, no one from Merda.:D

Question for Italy supporters...Nesta or no Nesta?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
No way can you classify him as an asset, ya dork. Does he even play regularly for JuBe? What makes him worthy to be GURANTEED a spot in the national team? It makes no sense. Any one of Rossi/Borriello/Pazzini/Cassano etc. would be better than him IMO. Besides, he's always irritated me for some reason. Maybe it's his face, or the way he runs - but hey that's just me being superficial. :o

I remember someone saying that this is becoming the team of "Lippi's man-crushes".. couldn't agree more.

Cause of injuries he's only played 8 games for juve but he has 4 goals and 2 assists. Like i said if he comes back and finds form he's had last 3 years then he absolutely deserves a place on the bench.

I thoughT Iaquinta was very good last year. He played lead striker, support striker and Right wing. He scored from right wing vs. chelsea and nearly had them knock out chelsea till late goals in UCL.

His versatility is something no forward for italy has. Yes Rossi or Cassano can play wing, but neither of them have physical presence to play lead striker like Iaquinta. I don't think he's particularly amazing but he's a gigantic asset to a squad... having someone who can play multiple positions especially if an untimely injury happens. Ask england how they felt when Owen got hurt in 2006, and they had Rooney, crouch and 17 year old (no business being there) Walcott.

He's 1 of lippi's favorite subs because he can put him in on wing and know offensively its like he's got an extra striker but defensively he'll still put in work of a midfielder.

Cassano of course should be there as he is italy's most talented forward (well totti.. but yea) but then again, if you take time and think from lippi's Point Of View, he's the epitome of UNRELIABLE, and in a single elimination tournmanet you can't have that. Hell he's been relegated to sampdoria's bench cause of his indifference in training and when given opportunity to go to a UCL team who wanted him to possibly beat bayern munich he said no cause he likes his GF? Is that REALLY the kind of guy you want to count on in a World Cup? And I'm a huge Cassano fan....

Rossi is pretty inconsistent and doesn't provide all the versatility Iaquinta does. Borriello plays lead striker and has scored less often than iaquinta this season (and last). Pazzini is ok, but he's also unproven on any sort of big stage. Call me crazy for preferring the guy who played in wc2006, and champions league over a mid-table italian striker.

but yes chrissy you are right on one thing, he's ugly and has that general look on his face that makes me wanna punch him

Last edited:

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Question for Italy supporters...Nesta or no Nesta?

Obviously having Nesta (and Totti) would be great. But the whole dillio with not playing the qualifiers will always be an issue. From what's been said though (I think you posted the article Lisa), Nesta doesn't want to come back & I think he even mentioned that he didn't want to take the place of someone who was there during the qualifiers. Classy as always.

Also, as a Milan supporter, I'd actually prefer that he'd stay put. He always seems to get injured when playing for Italy. :D

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Cause of injuries he's only played 8 games for juve but he has 4 goals and 2 assists. Like i said if he comes back and finds form he's had last 3 years then he absolutely deserves a place on the bench.

I thoughT Iaquinta was very good last year. He played lead striker, support striker and Right wing. He scored from right wing vs. chelsea and nearly had them knock out chelsea till late goals in UCL.

His versatility is something no forward for italy has. Yes Rossi or Cassano can play wing, but neither of them have physical presence to play lead striker like Iaquinta. I don't think he's particularly amazing but he's a gigantic asset to a squad... having someone who can play multiple positions especially if an untimely injury happens. Ask england how they felt when Owen got hurt in 2006, and they had Rooney, crouch and 17 year old (no business being there) Walcott.

He's 1 of lippi's favorite subs because he can put him in on wing and know offensively its like he's got an extra striker but defensively he'll still put in work of a midfielder.

Cassano of course should be there as he is italy's most talented forward (well totti.. but yea) but then again, if you take time and think from lippi's Point Of View, he's the epitome of UNRELIABLE, and in a single elimination tournmanet you can't have that. Hell he's been relegated to sampdoria's bench cause of his indifference in training and when given opportunity to go to a UCL team who wanted him to possibly beat bayern munich he said no cause he likes his GF? Is that REALLY the kind of guy you want to count on in a World Cup? And I'm a huge Cassano fan....

Rossi is pretty inconsistent and doesn't provide all the versatility Iaquinta does. Borriello plays lead striker and has scored less often than iaquinta this season (and last). Pazzini is ok, but he's also unproven on any sort of big stage. Call me crazy for preferring the guy who played in wc2006, and champions league over a mid-table italian striker.

Iaquinta is not that good, he is ok, Italy can just bring Gilla and a backup for him (maybe Pazini) and a SS type like De Natile. how about him? he is versatile and he has playing very well

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Iaquinta is not that good, he is ok, Italy can just bring Gilla and a backup for him (maybe Pazini) and a SS type like De Natile. how about him? he is versatile and he has playing very well

I don't disagree... he's not amazing. But italy doesn't really have any great forwards.

this is not the past italy with prime aged totti, del piero, baggio etc. etc.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fucking Lippi. Knows nothing about how to put together a World Cup Squad.

ladies and gentlemen jubentus is competing for wc this year

It's worth remembering that Lippi picked Iaquinta and Grosso while they were still at Udinese and Palermo. As for the others, all except for Legrottaglie are either obvious picks or borderline.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
It's worth remembering that Lippi picked Iaquinta and Grosso while they were still at Udinese and Palermo. As for the others, all except for Legrottaglie are either obvious picks or borderline.

clearly the logical move is calling up bocchetti, bonnucci, santacroce or whoever young italian defender mancrush who plays for a low table side over your most capped player, captain and leader.

and this is coming from a guy who does not like cannavaro 1 bit

bunch of masstermarks you italian fans r

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
clearly the logical move is calling up bocchetti, bonnucci, santacroce or whoever young italian defender mancrush who plays for a low table side over your most capped player, captain and leader.

and this is coming from a guy who does not like cannavaro 1 bit

If Italy's defence is the reason they don't win this World Cup, I will eat my hat. When it comes to the big games, Italy will sit so deep that Cannavaro will be able to play as virtually a pure penalty box defender, and I defy anyone to tell me that Ranocchia or Bocchetti or whoever would do a better job of that. Besides, every defence needs a leader, particularly Italy, given the level of organisation required for their defensive unit to function properly. There is nobody better at that than Cannavaro, and he and Chiellini will have had a whole season to develop an understanding.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Found this photo of some cretin with a trophy Luciano Moggi probably bought for him.

LippiWorldCup.jpg

I'm not quite sure what it means yet.

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
but yes chrissy you are right on one thing, he's ugly and has that general look on his face that makes me wanna punch him

I rest my case. :o

I don't doubt that he COULD be a useful bench player. I just don't understand how he can be considered a shoe-in at this point (if the article was true).

your most capped player, captain and leader.

Cannavaro will be there - if nothing more than for these reasons you listed. He should call it quits after the tournament though.. or else he's going to be called up until he's 50.

This is an insult of the highest magnitude and I demand a swift apology.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't doubt that he COULD be a useful bench player. I just don't understand how he can be considered a shoe-in at this point (if the article was true).

Well I certainly can't see any reason why they might have presented speculation as fact in a deliberate attempt to stir up controversy.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
If Italy's defence is the reason they don't win this World Cup, I will eat my hat. When it comes to the big games, Italy will sit so deep that Cannavaro will be able to play as virtually a pure penalty box defender, and I defy anyone to tell me that Ranocchia or Bocchetti or whoever would do a better job of that. Besides, every defence needs a leader, particularly Italy, given the level of organisation required for their defensive unit to function properly. There is nobody better at that than Cannavaro, and he and Chiellini will have had a whole season to develop an understanding.

oh i was 100% agree. The reason Italy do well in vitually every tournament is cause they r very well organized and clear consise team. Unlike perhaps more talented team of individuals. IT's always been Italy's MO.

This is an insult of the highest magnitude and I demand a swift apology.

alright. But only this once

Schedule