Italian Football Thread III

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Inter ultra death investigation spreads

There are now eight Napoli supporters under investigation after Inter ultra Daniele Belardinelli was run over and killed outside San Siro.

The incident occurred during clashes between supporters ahead of the Serie A match on December 26.

Inter ultras seemingly laid an ambush for the visiting Napoli fans on the road towards the stadium, in which several people were stabbed, but Belardinelli was hit by at least one vehicle and died later that night.

https://app.football-italia.net/?re...t#article/footballitalia-132883&menu=news-all

What a shit show of a league, stuck in the stone ages.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
So thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo, I'm finally enjoying Serie A football to the extent that I used to several years back. Last season, I had dropped my match-viewing to around 2 matches a week on average, one of Milan and one of another side (usually Napoli). The effort involved in streaming was the primary reason. But thanks to Cristiano, every single Serie A match is broadcasted live in TV now and I'm back up to around 5-6 matches per gameweek, which is what I used to do back in college (2003-2007). Grazie Cristiano!

At half-way point, here are my thoughts:

Overall, 2018-19 has been really exciting, continuing the upward trajectory of the league over the last 3 seasons. Of course, Serie A will never appeal to certain audience, and that's unlikely to change even if the teams continue to dominate European football once again. But for guys like me, whose league football consumption is 99% Serie A and European football when an Italian side plays, the difference is palpable.

The title race though is the sad part. Juventus has significantly increased the gap over Napoli and that's pretty obvious to see. It was not only Cristiano, but also Douglas Costa, Bernardeschi, Cancelo and above all, Mandzukic and Bentancur. The latter two are probably the two most difference-making players in the league for me at the moment. I don't see what any team can do at present that would even bring about a real title challenge in 2019/20, unless someone pulls off a Cristiano-like transfer. Which is quite unlikely.

Immediately after the title race though is the most exciting part of the league. I think the battle for positions 3 to 7 will continue well into May.

Teams

Juve: One of the best teams in the world now with Cristiano and all the other guys I mentioned. Played many Serie A matches in the 2nd gear this season since they were certain of 3 points. Backfired against them most obviously vs Genoa. But I'm sure they'll continue to do that since the real objective is CL as everyone knows. They do have quite obvious weaknesses in defence, but no Serie A team has really taken advantage of that - except Napoli for a brief spell and Atalanta. Bonucci has been mediocre, Chiellini is still the rock. Bentancur has been their best player for me - remarkable adaptation to the league so quickly and a very intelligent player. He's so young and will definitely have a great career in Serie A. Mandzukic of course is the real big game player. Video footage of him rising above the far post defender to score headed goals in big games will run to quite a few minutes at the end of the season. Cristiano Ronaldo is having the perfect late-career run. He plays to his strengths (his insane physical agility and eye for the goal), and turns up when it matters at the right spot - Atalanta goal being case in point. The issue now: Dybala. He has not improved this season and the way Juve are playing, I'm not quite sure he's set to improve either. A major summer transfer might be Dybala out.

Napoli: They took around 5-6 matchdays to adapt to Ancelotti. They could have dropped more points during this time (notably against Milan), but luckily for them they didn't. Now with the Ancelotti style firmly in place, they are a better team - even though of course they are doing worse than last season. But I don't think that should be held against them - transitioning from a very strong tactician is always difficult and I think it's creditable they've done it while holding on to 2nd place. Milik is the most notable mention that's required - he is very much an Ancelotti-striker. Towards the end of the season, I expect him to start regularly and score regularly. However, Mertens will retain his importance - he's, like Mandzukic, one of the cleverest players around - and knows how to pull his weight in whichever role. Too good an asset to not have a big role. Koulibaly is the best defender in the world at the moment, and the incident against Inter would bring the team together if anything. Insigne is flourishing in his new role and Mancini's move to play him similarly for the Nazionale will help.

Inter
: As I've said many times before here, I think Spalletti is a mediocre manager for a big team. Inter wins despite his constant unnecessary fiddling. That's in large parts due to Icardi, and also due to other players who seem to take turns in sharing the responsibility of turning up with Icardi (used to be Brozovic, then Vecino, now Politano and Keita Balde). Valero is done. Joao Mario, after his brief renaissance, looks uninspiring again. So it's very tricky to predict where Inter will end up. Ultimately, if Milan, Lazio and Roma perform consistently, all three could end up ahead of Inter.

Lazio: They had a really tough time this season until they finally seemed to figure out the way to turn things around. A big part of course was Milinkovic-Savic and Luis Alberto both just being completely off colour. Immobile is a player who is entirely dependent on strong service from guys like these, and predictably enough, his output dipped as well. Now with Milinkovic-Savic looking confident again, other interesting players turning up like Correa and Acerbi (who's once again looking like the defender for whom Milan had such high hopes), Lazio look set once more. But regardless, Simone Inzaghi plays football one way. He will not be able to handle teams that tactically outsmarts them and has better players than them (which I think Milan and Roma both can and will). So Lazio will be up against the wall fighting for the 4th spot.

Milan: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, although one could make a good case that Hyde came through due to the injuries. Gattuso created an attractive 4-3-3 team at the beginning of the season (not very different in gameplay from Mancini's current Italy), playing good fleet-footed football and players moving as a single unit. And then it all fell apart, with Bonaventura's and Biglia's injuries and Higuain's implosion. For a while, it was remarkable that Milan continued to rack up points (notably against Lazio where we almost stole 3 points), and Bakayoko and Romagnoli were the key figures holding us together. But then the fabric split again and December was atrocious till the SPAL game. Ultimately, an injury-free Milan playing the way they did in October is superior to Roma, Lazio as well as Inter. But will Gattuso find it easy to recreate that in the 2nd half of the season? Bonaventura is still missing and between Hakan and Paqueta, filling the left side roles might be the real key to this question. We should always look to the fact that we played the best aesthetic football in the league barring Napoli and possibly Sassuolo when we had everyone fit and on form. That's where we should aim to return.

Roma: Imagine commoders in RnB turning against Gattuso and demanding his dismissal last month. Now multiply that several-folds and you get the situation in Roma with Di Francesco a month back. They were possibly the only team in world football who could lose a lead after the 95th minute playing against 9 men. The defence looked like 4 men who had no clue how to coordinate with each other. Despite all this, in the last 3 weeks, Di Francesco has pulled off an excellent comeback, played around with tactical systems, brought a young prospect through and the club is pretty much at the same level in the table as Lazio and Milan. Kudos to the manager and the Roma management for not buckling to fan pressure. What exactly is Zaniolo's potential? He has shown mouth-watering skills so far, and could well be Roma's next big player - but it's definitely too soon to call. As many suspected, we know now that Monchi did a good job selling Nainggolan and Strootman, but the fact remains that the re-investment results are yet to come through. Schick continues to look like a flop, while Dzeko when he comes back will make his presence felt. Roma arguably still has a better squad than Milan and Lazio and if they maintain their form, 4th spot should be theirs. But Roma is Roma and a capitulation is always on the cards.

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
So thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo, I'm finally enjoying Serie A football to the extent that I used to several years back. Last season, I had dropped my match-viewing to around 2 matches a week on average, one of Milan and one of another side (usually Napoli). The effort involved in streaming was the primary reason. But thanks to Cristiano, every single Serie A match is broadcasted live in TV now and I'm back up to around 5-6 matches per gameweek, which is what I used to do back in college (2003-2007). Grazie Cristiano!....

This guy has banned ppl for "juve wanking" on the forum.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
...(contd.)

Sampdoria, Atalanta, Torino, Fiorentina, Sassuolo:

These 5 teams for me are the real strength of Serie A. 5 dark horses, all 5 capable of upsetting any of the top 6. They have all flirted with the 4th spot at various points this season and they will continue to do that I think. They are all managed well, with good young players - which is a significant departure from the past for Serie A midtable teams.

And most interestingly, I think 3 of these teams have the 3 best managers in the league - Samp, Atalanta and Sassuolo.

Giampaolo and Samp - The best 4-3-1-2 exponent in the world at the moment (last decade, he would have been the natural Ancelotti replacement at Milan), creates excellent defensive systems, and now blessed with the prodigious talents of Fabio Quagliarella. Samp's excellence lies largely in the system - the three attackers are all in sync and a good 4-3-1-2 attack is always the best bet to beat a 4-man defence. And not a single 4-man defence in Serie A at the moment is truly world class - including Juve's. So Samp will continue to score goals, and Quagliarella will continue to be the best player to watch in the league. Anderson in defence is attracting attention from every big team, but it's always risky to buy a Giampaolo defender since ultimately his system is what makes the defence play so well.

Gasperini and Atalanta: Probably the best tactician in the league, pipping Giampaolo. His teams can play as exciting offensive football as a Quique Setien or a Guardiola team at moments, but at the same time can also completely get wiped out from games. So you never really know with Atalanta. Papu Gomez is the talismanic figure at the heart of it all, but Ilicic, Duvan Zapata and Mancini have all shown their class consistently. For me, the best performance by any team in Serie A this season was their 4-1 demolition of Inter - a match that should have ended 7-1 or 8-1 had they not missed simple chances.

De Zerbi's Sassuolo: De Zerbi has been the best representative of the new breed of managers coming through with a clear idea to play attractive football and yet get points in Serie A. He's a great coach for young ball-playing midfielders - the likes of Stefano Sensi, Locatelli are all flourishing under him and it can only be good for the national team to have all these guys exhibiting their technical competence. Domenico Berardi has woken up again after a few seasons of mediocrity, and this also is largely due to De Zerbi. Prince-Boateng has been talismanic at times, playing false 9 with perfection.

If you ever want to watch a team other than Milan in Serie A, and if you like good attractive football with strong young talents, watch Sassuolo.

Torino and Fiorentina - Both these clubs are managed by veterans. And they are both moulded in their styles. Torino will never give up, which is exactly what you'd expect from Mazzarri. They won't be attractive to watch, but they are always likely to take a point from you. Fiorentina plays very well on the wings, like Stefano Pioli's sides do. But I've not really been impressed by their strength and ability to pull off wins. Milan really shouldn't have lost to them. But that again brings us to Chiesa. He's one of those players who can lie low for 90 minutes and then hit you with a peach of a goal from nowhere.

I think Atalanta, Sampdoria and Sassuolo all have the ability to beat the teams above them and possibly even give them a strong run for the 4th spot. But ultimately, they are likelier to end up in the spots below them. Do not rule out one of them finishing above Lazio, Milan or Roma though. You never know.

Torino and Fiorentina will be solid midtable.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
... (contd.)

Parma, Cagliari and Genoa - All 3 are decent teams with more than enough ability to avoid relegation and stay solid lower mid-table.

Parma has been a great example of a well-managed ownership structure. Their journey from the lower leagues back to the top and their apparent natural ability to continue in Serie A without any risk of relegation, is laudable. In their early matches, Gervinho looked like the one who would carry them. But then, more players emerged and showed consistency - Inglese, Bruno Alves, Ceravolo - all of them had great moments that helped Parma rack up points. D'Aversa is a sensible young manager and just right for them at this point. Parma carries a proper giant killer tag with them this season.

Cagliari - It isn't all Barella. Joao Pedro, Pavoletti have both been very influential as well - Pavoletti's injury in between probably pulled them back a little. But when they lose Barella which will inevitably happen, they will struggle.. so do not expect a winter sale for Barella. They will avoid relegation and sell him for at least 50 million in the summer. That kind of money if invested well can help a team like Cagliari to survive for seasons to come.

Genoa - Preziosi as always is the one who gives them moments of greatness and takes them to depths of misery. Apparently he scouted Piatek all by himself. No manager or scout was involved in it, and Enrico Preziosi one day decided to sign Piatek and what a signing it was. If Piatek ends up capocannoniere in Cristiano's debut season in Serie A, that would be an achievement which will net Preziosi something close to 100 million. And then Preziosi fired Ballardini (for the 3rd time I think), brought in the completely clueless Juric (for the 3rd or 4th time), and expectedly fired him after a few games of utter misery. But now with Prandelli, things look stable, although you never really know with Preziosi. Genoa by squad strength alone should be 12th or 13th, but thanks to Preziosi's antics, they are likely to end up just above the relegation zone. (btw if you didn't know, they are appealing in the courts now for a Scudetto from the 1930s which they claim had been stolen from them by shady off-the-ground politics. Check it out, it's a great story).

Udinese and SPAL: They are both managed well, Udinese had the quixotic Velazquez who would have certainly relegated them, but they appointed Davide Nicola well in time who will certainly guide them to safety. SPAL once again plays good football and knows how not to lose a lot of points to teams below or around them. I think they will be safe too.

Empoli, Bologna, Frosinone and Chievo:

And now the relegation contenders. Empoli fired Andreazzoli (another manager who liked to play attractive football, but sadly without points to show for it) and brought in Beppe Iachini, who's an expert in coasting and getting draws when it matters and somehow avoid relegation. I hope they avoid relegation, mostly because Empoli has one of the best academies in Italy, they like giving chances to youngsters, they like playing attractive football, and it'll be good to have them in Serie A. If they survive, they'll probably remove Iachini to give a chance to another manager in the Andreazzoli mould next season and try to play good football again.

Bologna for me has the worst team in the league. They have really mediocre players and Pippo Inzaghi has very little to blame for their situation. The ultras are rightfully upset at many of the directors and recently sent warning messages to some of them. Things aren't great there, and I think they will be one to get relegated.

Frosinone - probably a better squad than Bologna's, but that's about it. I don't think they'll survive. I actually haven't watched any of their matches (missed even the Milan match since I was travelling that day), so know nothing about them. In any case, they shouldn't have been allowed in the league after the horrendous incidents in the play-off against Palermo.

Chievo - the villains of the piece. With the shady financial dealings with Cesena giving them a penalty (I think the punishment should have been much harsher), AND with Ventura choosing to return to football with them (the rumour goes that Ventura came back just to show he could resign a job if he wanted to, which he didn't do for months with Italy), they should have been certain to be relegated. Even now with a cleverer manager and players like Pellissier really trying hard, their points gap with the 17th placed team is too high to overcome I think. I hope they get relegated as well and not perform another Chievo miracle.

That sums up the teams. So I'm looking forward to an exciting 2019 as well, and all ingredients are in place for a great 3rd spot to, well, maybe even the 10th spot battle in Serie A.

Last edited:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Thank you Necro for the insightful posts for the first half of the season. Summed up everything nicely :)

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
necro, definitely enjoyed the write ups. I have several questions if you don't mind.

1. What service are you using for streaming?
2. Do you read news/columns in Italian for the side drama (i.e. Preziozi's scouting, Genoa's court battle for 1930s Scudetto)? Or do you follow a blog for this type of things? Very interesting reads indeed.
3. Bologna just gave Pippo Sansone and Soriano, do you think they can give the team a lift? Or maybe I am thinking of the Soriano who left Sampdoria and Sansone who left Sassuolo for Villareal and not their current form.

Personally, I am in favor of Serie A regulars to remain in Serie A (Chievo, Bologna, Genoa) and teams like Empoli, SPAL, Frosinone get relegated

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thank you Necro for the insightful posts for the first half of the season. Summed up everything nicely :)

:thumbsup: Happy to contribute again in this favourite thread of mine.

necro, definitely enjoyed the write ups. I have several questions if you don't mind.

1. What service are you using for streaming? -

None now, since all matches are available in TV for me again from this season. That's what I mentioned in that 'grazie Cristiano' paragraph :D Last season, I used to go to this reddit link and look for streams: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccerstreams/ I guess acestream is the most dependable nowadays.

2. Do you read news/columns in Italian for the side drama (i.e. Preziozi's scouting, Genoa's court battle for 1930s Scudetto)? Or do you follow a blog for this type of things? Very interesting reads indeed.

All from podcasts and gazzetta. I read the gazzetta every day, and I follow podcasts like Golazzo (Horncastle, Marcotti and Jimbo - I recommend this as the most insightful calcio panel around), the Totally Football show and On the Continent.

3. Bologna just gave Pippo Sansone and Soriano, do you think they can give the team a lift? Or maybe I am thinking of the Soriano who left Sampdoria and Sansone who left Sassuolo for Villareal and not their current form.

Yes, I think both are good signings. That is one way Bologna can beat SPAL - they can definitely invest more in staying up than SPAL can. I'm not sure how good Soriano is any more, but Sansone surely can score a few important goals. Pippo has the confidence of the management which is a good thing, since he's a much improved coach than he was at Milan. He really did do a marvellous job at Venezia from all accounts - never watched them myself.

Personally, I am in favor of Serie A regulars to remain in Serie A (Chievo, Bologna, Genoa) and teams like Empoli, SPAL, Frosinone get relegated

I really like Empoli, and Chievo never deserved to start in Serie A this season. So hopefully Empoli will survive. For one, I have a weakness for small Tuscan towns. Secondly, Empoli might not have spent many seasons in Serie A, but they have a great record of youth development.. Montella, Di Natale are two top-of-mind names who learned their trade at Empoli...and our own Abate - his speed as a fullback was first noted by us during his loan spell at Empoli.

Thanks. My thoughts in bold after your questions.

Last edited:

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Valter Birsa will go to Cagliari for €2M. Underrated buy.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Happy to contribute again in this favourite thread of mine.

Thanks. My thoughts in bold after your questions.

Really appreciate that. Is Gazzetta in Italian? And I will definitely check out those podcasts. One thing I find really charming about Serie A is the crazy presidents and off-the-field drama with the players and their wives.

Valter Birsa will go to Cagliari for €2M. Underrated buy.

:thumbsup:

Birsa has good technique, could be a key player for a mid/lower table side.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes Gazzetta is in Italian. They had an English version some time back but I’m not sure if the content is as exhaustive.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kuco is back! Parma signed him. More reason to watch them play.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Why? he was completely average.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I like the BUU campaign, bluenine

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the BUU campaign, bluenine

yeh it's pretty cool

juventus in return would have asked serie A to add 2 titles to their official tally in response to accusations of their fans being racist.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Lazio play Napoli away tomorrow, hopefully Carlo smashes them to bits.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Genoa's big sales in the last years (the small circle is the amount they paid, the big circle is how much they sold them for)

DxRRf_pX0AAOU_4.jpg

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
^^ Now that's not a bad return at all. Nothing spectacular either though, the time frame is around 10 years.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zaniolo with another special goal. This guy looks like the real deal

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pellegri might be the biggest scam to date

? that was awful defending

You think that level of physicality and control while on the floor is easy?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
You think that level of physicality and control while on the floor is easy?

when no one is doing anything to stop you? should be pretty easy

nice shot considering he was on the floor tho

I'd be furious if someone scored a goal like that against us.