• 4-3-2-1

Votes: 140 36.6%
  • 4-3-1-2

Votes: 242 63.4%

• Total voters

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Pirlo defends better than Ambrosini, the only thing good about Ambro defensively is that he his good in the air & acts hard. Pirlo works far harder.

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Cafu, Javad Nekounam,
DSM said:
Pirlo defends better than Ambrosini, the only thing good about Ambro defensively is that he his good in the air & acts hard. Pirlo works far harder.
are u serious, work rate isnt defending, prilo is the biggest girls blouse in milan, i cud win a challenge of him, ambrosini is one of the strongest, toughest mids we have n u think pirlo can defend better than him, as for work rate ambrosini's is very high overall

MilanFan009

A.P.7.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta, Pato, Buffon
composition13wy1.gif

This will provide a very offensive type of game that we must take to the visitors to show our presence.

composition14bg6.gif

I'm not a fan of 3 DM's mids so Flamini, Pirlo and Seedorf would be ok. I can just imagine, "Pirlo sends a long ball to Pato, Pato takes on a defender and beats him, passes it to Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho with a no look chip over the defence to Kaka beating the defender with blistering pace and scores!". Anyways back to reality, this will be great, if Pirlo can't send it onto the wings, Ronaldinho will take on some defenders and with his brilliant passes chip it over the defence to either super speedy players. Perfect for counters.

Last edited:

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
1st one is very good and realistic formation, the second will make us like tottenham, no defence minded midfield, we wud get dominated in midfield areas so the 2nd isnt realistic
we hav too much quality for any team in the league its jus the work ethic, closin dwn and defence which ar problems

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Nice 1st Formation MilanFan009, But I'de Prefer To let Pato get used to being Up Front(STRIKER).
We should be realistic, Wanting to Put Wings in the System of Milan will not happen easily!

Scratching Pirlo out Of it,hmmmmmmmm May be effective.

Reaction score
Milan Formation

Just want to disscuse the milan current formation. This has nothing to do with bologna game.

Ac Milan is currently playing 4-3-2-1 system.

I would love to see milan play with 3 in the back, and seens we have so many midfilders you can go 3-5-3, milans problem has always been that the midfield cant close up quickly enough and with all the midfielders we got that wont be the problem. and 3 strikers on top, is what we usaly do anyways. This is just my oppinion, i think with great risk comes great rewards and i would love milan to have that attacking mentality, especialy at home, so people can fear coming to san siro, cuz last seasson, we almost never won home.

Whats your favorite formation and how would you like milan to play?

genc

Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini - Boban - Van Basten - Nesta - Ronaldo - Ronaldinho
MilanFan009 said:
composition13wy1.gif

This will provide a very offensive type of game that we must take to the visitors to show our presence.

composition14bg6.gif

I'm not a fan of 3 DM's mids so Flamini, Pirlo and Seedorf would be ok. I can just imagine, "Pirlo sends a long ball to Pato, Pato takes on a defender and beats him, passes it to Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho with a no look chip over the defence to Kaka beating the defender with blistering pace and scores!". Anyways back to reality, this will be great, if Pirlo can't send it onto the wings, Ronaldinho will take on some defenders and with his brilliant passes chip it over the defence to either super speedy players. Perfect for counters.

Seedorf a CM no way that Lazy-Ass is gonna play that role it must be gattuso/ambro considering pirlo is not much of a DM and plying with just one DM is not a good Idea considering our below par Deffence

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sharky889 said:
Just want to disscuse the milan current formation. This has nothing to do with bologna game.

Ac Milan is currently playing 4-3-2-1 system.

I would love to see milan play with 3 in the back, and seens we have so many midfilders you can go 3-5-3, milans problem has always been that the midfield cant close up quickly enough and with all the midfielders we got that wont be the problem. and 3 strikers on top, is what we usaly do anyways. This is just my oppinion, i think with great risk comes great rewards and i would love milan to have that attacking mentality, especialy at home, so people can fear coming to san siro, cuz last seasson, we almost never won home.

Whats your favorite formation and how would you like milan to play?
ill let u work out the problem with a '3-5-3'

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
genc said:
Seedorf a CM no way that Lazy-Ass is gonna play that role it must be gattuso/ambro considering pirlo is not much of a DM and plying with just one DM is not a good Idea considering our below par Deffence

i remember when he argue with Carlo about not coming back in midfield, saying that he doesn't want to do dirty job again or smth like that.

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
dev1L said:
i remember when he argue with Carlo about not coming back in midfield again, saying that he doesn't want to do dirty job again or smth like that.
that pathetic we already have kaka and now ronaldinho to be lazy mdifielders who dnt ever track back, everyone in midfield shud have some sort of defensive work rate

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to come up with a strong and balanced formation now with the players we have, without leaving a few out.
Won't bother putting out the back 4 they sort themselves.. my preferred formation would be.
--Flamini---Gattuso/Ambro

---Kaka-----Seedorf/Ronaldinho
--------Ronaldinho/Pato
--Pato/Inzaghi/Sheva

I don't think we should take out an offensive player to accomodate for Pirlo when were not a long ball team.

x__player

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
this article is really good. It talks about 4-2-3-1 formation with Pirlo being benched. I think its a good idea and we should try it this way as our game is too predictable and depends a lot on Pirlo. In second half (if we would be winning) Pirlo can easily come on to replace one of the "front 4" so the team is more "defensive" and yet can play beautifull fotball + score goals. If you remember Lyon used to play this system with Juninho and Diarra being the "2 men" and Malouda, Fred, Wiltord and Govou being the 3-1 men. I like this and I say lets try it. Fullbacks though cant be involved too much in offensive appartment.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/blogs/al54.html

Last edited:

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I am willing to bet Ancelotti will play a 4-6-0 formation this season just to keep seedorf off the bench.

Milanista10

FORZA MILAN, IL MILAN OLE
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi
I'm very curious, very curious. I am NOT the Reincarnation of MassterMark, but I am the very curious Milanista10, who is willing to try something totally out of this world. But again I'm not Carlo, so it'll never happen. Explanations to this weird and wacko formation to come. Nobody's getting original in the forum with their formations, unless your MassterMark of course. So here's some crazy shit with even more crazy logic.

----------------------------------Abiatti-------------------------------------

----------Bonera--------------Senderos----------------Maldini---------------

------------------Kaladze--------------------Ambrosini-----------------------

---Zambrotta-------------Seedorf---------------Ronaldinho--------Kaka'----

----------------------------------Shevchenko/(Pato)----------------------

Everyone's saying, "WTF, ARE YOU CRACKED!?"

1. A balanced formation essentially consists of 5 offensive players, 5 defensive players. Check

2. Let's go back to the roots of '90s football, where a backline was composed of 3 at the back and 2 players in front of them. (another famous defensive formation was the diamond, but that's another story for another time). The strengths of this is that we have Maldini and Bonera, both good offensively and defensively, that can bomb up, and can easily be covered by Ambrosini and Kaladze. Check

3. Kaladze started his career as a Defensive MidfielderCheck

4. Formidable forward tangent that doesn't need to worry too much about defensive duties especially on the counterattack. Check

5. When sustaining pressure for a spell, Kaka' and Zambrotta simply drop to close the wings; while Seedorf and Ronaldinho do the pressing, and Shevchenko/Pato lays on the defensive line. It'll be a hard formation to break down with the midfield presence. Kaka' getting the ball on the wing can create ,major problems on the counterattack for the other team. Check

6. Formation isn't too square, nor is it too wide. Provides both depth in the midfield while defending and width on the offensive.And Checkmate

x__player

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Milanista10 said:
I'm very curious, very curious. I am NOT the Reincarnation of MassterMark, but I am the very curious Milanista10, who is willing to try something totally out of this world. But again I'm not Carlo, so it'll never happen. Explanations to this weird and wacko formation to come. Nobody's getting original in the forum with their formations, unless your MassterMark of course. So here's some crazy shit with even more crazy logic.

----------------------------------Abiatti-------------------------------------

----------Bonera--------------Senderos----------------Maldini---------------

------------------Kaladze--------------------Ambrosini-----------------------

---Zambrotta-------------Seedorf---------------Ronaldinho--------Kaka'----

----------------------------------Shevchenko/(Pato)----------------------

Everyone's saying, "WTF, ARE YOU CRACKED!?"

1. A balanced formation essentially consists of 5 offensive players, 5 defensive players. Check

2. Let's go back to the roots of '90s football, where a backline was composed of 3 at the back and 2 players in front of them. (another famous defensive formation was the diamond, but that's another story for another time). The strengths of this is that we have Maldini and Bonera, both good offensively and defensively, that can bomb up, and can easily be covered by Ambrosini and Kaladze. Check

3. Kaladze started his career as a Defensive MidfielderCheck

4. Formidable forward tangent that doesn't need to worry too much about defensive duties especially on the counterattack. Check

5. When sustaining pressure for a spell, Kaka' and Zambrotta simply drop to close the wings; while Seedorf and Ronaldinho do the pressing, and Shevchenko/Pato lays on the defensive line. It'll be a hard formation to break down with the midfield presence. Kaka' getting the ball on the wing can create ,major problems on the counterattack for the other team. Check

6. Formation isn't too square, nor is it too wide. Provides both depth in the midfield while defending and width on the offensive.And Checkmate

Its ok but I would rather play 4-2-3-1 formation with Flamini and Ambrosini/Gattuso behind Seedorf/Pato, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Pato/Borriello. But this tactics needs time and hard work as we cant afford 4 players not to defend. So this 4 upfront should put pressure early on that teams cannot "go round them". More safe formation is 4-3-2-1 with Flamini Ambrosini and Seedorf in middle and Ronaldinho, Kaka, Pato/Borriello in attack. Its basically the same, just that Seedorf isnt AM but plays more of a midfield role + covers back like he used too. This can also transform during the game into 4-2-3-1 so its quite good IMO.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
siatanhai said:
are u serious, work rate isnt defending, prilo is the biggest girls blouse in milan, i cud win a challenge of him, ambrosini is one of the strongest, toughest mids we have n u think pirlo can defend better than him, as for work rate ambrosini's is very high overall
Don't let Ambrosini's hardman imagine fool you. Defending is about getting in good defensive positions & Pirlo does it alot better.

Defending is alot about intelligence & Pirlo's intelligence does Ambrosini's rough tough stuff everytime, plus Pirlo covers far more ground as the stats show after every game.

Just because Pirlo is not an hardman does not mean he his not better.

Ambrosini does a couple of tough challenges a game & comes out of it snarling & that fools some people. It is a typical English hardman thing to get fooled.

This is not ment to have a go at Ambrosini, I just think you should not under estmate Pirlo & the effort he puts in for the team.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Pirlo has been overall Milan's best player for the last 6 years & one of the best dozen in the world over that period & I'm sure alot of people would agree with me.

He his one of the first on the teamsheet & probably the first so it is not an option to leave him out.

It is him & one other if you play with two in the middle or him & two others if play with three.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
DSM said:
Don't let Ambrosini's hardman imagine fool you. Defending is about getting in good defensive positions & Pirlo does it alot better.

Defending is alot about intelligence & Pirlo's intelligence does Ambrosini's rough tough stuff everytime, plus Pirlo covers far more ground as the stats show after every game.

Ambrosini does a couple of tough challenges a game & comes out of it snarling & that fools some people. It is a typical English hardman thing to get fooled.

This is not ment to have a go at Ambrosini, I just think you should not under estmate Pirlo & the effort he puts in for the team.
Not true, Pirlo is positioned in a better defensive position because he doesnt have to chase back but he doesnt have the legs to catch up with a fast man running through the middle and he doesnt have the ability to slide tackle, you can tell that his weaknesses defensively are evident by the number of goals we concede from shots outside the box, which he is supposed to be preventing, and not just that, when the opposition comes through the wings they always seem to cut through the middle in order to set up a shot, he doesnt prevent it and our slow defenders are not fast enough to stop fast attacks while running backwards. Ambrosini is a better defender its just that he tends to forget himself in attack a bit too often which I understand since he is asked to head in crosses since the shrimps we have upfront cannot do it and do not cover for him, but when we are being pressured you can see that Ambrosini reads attacks really well and steps in at the right time to stop them, and he is also able to keep the ball in position so we can start an attack ourselves, therefore if we want better balance, we should let someone else do the ball heading in attack and let Ambro join in on certain attacks or let him go up and let someone like seedorf to track back otherwise we need to take out a creative player like seedorf or pirlo and place a DM next to flamini and keep the creativity upfront and the defensive work back ready for a counter attack.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
With the long term absence of Nesta, I think we should chose to play 1 of the following 3 formations:

A. Juve style, 2 DMs, 2 AMs, 1 SS, 1 ST, and 2 attacking WBs:

rbmm9k.gif

B. Balanced Milan style, 1 Deep lying PM, 1 attacking WB, 2 DMs, 1 ST, 2 AMs

kbykqg.gif

C. Roma style, 2 DMs, 1 CM, 2 OM, 1 ST, 2 attacking WBs (also works with Janku and Zambro, but I think Zambro behind Ronaldinho is better)

21e54ex.gif

siatanhai

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
DSM said:

i have never questioned his work rate,i question his ability to win the ball, jus standing inthe right position is not even half the job done, he still needs to physically disposes the opponent, ambrosini may not be clever but he wins alot of challeneges and always works hard, jus like gattuso those 'hard man' players are in the team because of their work rate and toughness otherwise why would they be in the team???? they have little ability going forward, pirlo works hard but still doesnt win hardly any challneges, isnt aggressive enough to hunt players dwn an disposses them that all im saying, but ye he always runs back and gets behind the ball to add an extra body to the defence and is an extremely clever player/intelligent

Milanista10

FORZA MILAN, IL MILAN OLE
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi
siatanhai said:
i have never questioned his work rate,i question his ability to win the ball, jus standing inthe right position is not even half the job done, he still needs to physically disposes the opponent, ambrosini may not be clever but he wins alot of challeneges and always works hard, jus like gattuso those 'hard man' players are in the team because of their work rate and toughness otherwise why would they be in the team???? they have little ability going forward, pirlo works hard but still doesnt win hardly any challneges, isnt aggressive enough to hunt players dwn an disposses them that all im saying, but ye he always runs back and gets behind the ball to add an extra body to the defence and is an extremely clever player/intelligent

couldn't have said it better myself :)

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
siatanhai said:
In the formation Milan play they would be alot better playing Ambro in the centre for his strength & let him just sit their, they can then play Pirlo more to the left where he will cover more ground than Ambro as he always does. This will help both players because Pirlo does like to work up & down & Ambro will have less ground because he does not have to move from in to out anymore.

Milan played this in the last match vers Inter when Maniche was starting to mark Pirlo & Milan & imparticular Ambro where outstanding for 70 minutes.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
DSM said:
In the formation Milan play they would be alot better playing Ambro in the centre for his strength & let him just sit their, they can then play Pirlo more to the left where he will cover more ground than Ambro as he always does. This will help both players because Pirlo does like to work up & down & Ambro will have less ground because he does not have to move from in to out anymore.

Milan played this in the last match vers Inter when Maniche was starting to mark Pirlo & Milan & imparticular Ambro where outstanding for 70 minutes.
I disagree, I dont think its better to switch Pirlo and Ambro's position, I think Pirlo is only able to play in the center where he doesnt need to dribble much and the tempo is slower so he can set his own tone on the game, ambro is much more effective there because he is the only player we have that offers something in the air so when he joins in on attacks we have a big advantage that without him, pirlo should play as deep lying play maker like he currently plays and has been doing so for a while, or as normal playmaker in the same position as Seedorf last season otherwise you cannot make use of his unique characteristics and it would become very easy to mark him out of the game.

PS- Pirlo should start taking shots from outside the box, so thats another reason why he shouldnt be played in ambros place.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Jivara said:
I disagree, I dont think its better to switch Pirlo and Ambro's position, I think Pirlo is only able to play in the center where he doesnt need to dribble much and the tempo is slower so he can set his own tone on the game, ambro is much more effective there because he is the only player we have that offers something in the air so when he joins in on attacks we have a big advantage that without him, pirlo should play as deep lying play maker like he currently plays and has been doing so for a while, or as normal playmaker in the same position as Seedorf last season otherwise you cannot make use of his unique characteristics and it would become very easy to mark him out of the game.

PS- Pirlo should start taking shots from outside the box, so thats another reason why he shouldnt be played in ambros place.
Ambro does not have great stamina & the stats show this every match, every once in a while he arrives to great effect in the box but cannot do it enough so using his strength in a position where he his not exposed works well(in the middle). It takes him half an hour to get back from the breaks he does make. You could say he his scoring most of Milan's goals at the moment & I would agree with that, I don't however think that it helps the team that much defensively. Ambro is getting on in years & his not going to be as mobile & as had lots of injuries, so put him in the middle where he can get closer to players easier & use his aggression much easier. From this position Ambro can help the weak central defence that Milan currently have & let the attackers do their job. Ambro is also OK with both feet so can get the talented players in game with no problem.

Ambro
Flamini/Gattuso Pirlo/Seedorf

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milanista10 said:
Fine my formation:
------------------Abbiati-------------------

Zambrotta-Kaladze-Senderos-Nesta-
Ronaldinho-Kaka-Pato-Seedorf-Bori-Janku.
See, 5 defensive, 5 offensive

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
^^ your defenders are standing too far from goalie which can lead to an easy goal

Gravedigger

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dida, Jovetic, Pato, Maldini, Shevchenko...
Kalac#16 said:
Fine my formation:
------------------Abbiati-------------------

Zambrotta-Kaladze-Senderos-Nesta-
Ronaldinho-Kaka-Pato-Inzaghi-Seedorf-Bori-Janku.
See, 5 defensive, 5 offensive
One problem.You have 12 players:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

end-er

milanista
Reaction score
It's extratime, Milan down one goal, all at a corner. Get it? :D

Pirlo21legend

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever plays for Milan
---------------Abbiati-------------------
Zambrotta--Nesta---Kaladze--Jankulovski
----------------Pirlo--------------------
----------------------Ambrosini---------
--------Flamini-------------------------
--------------Kaka-----------------------
-------------------------Ronaldinho-----
--------------Borriello-------------------

It's our formation for Fifa 09 :D

ecI

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Pippo, Nesta, Baresi, C. Vela, Kaka, Ochoa, Antonini, Pato, T. Silva
^Put Bonera in for Kaladze and I'm all for that one