2010 African Cup of Nations

akewander

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka , Maldini, Zidane, Pato, Thiago silva, Gattuso.
egypt just moved into the world top 10.it shows alot, but is it fair to have a country which havent qualified to the world cup since italia90 to be in the top 10?

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Aside from the Confederations Cup last summer, the only team to have beaten them in quite a while is Algeria. Twice in fact. Egypt have beaten Algeria twice during this same time period, so you can say they are just about even.

They also won every single match at CAN Angola ... in fact, the last game they didn't win as CAN was against Zambia two years ago :D Their record in this competition is unrivaled and probably will never be toppled. Its been the most dominating era in the history of the competition.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
egypt just moved into the world top 10.it shows alot, but is it fair to have a country which havent qualified to the world cup since italia90 to be in the top 10?

Bollocks list.

lexx

try and crack a smile
Reaction score
Fav. Players
costacurta albertini gattuso maldini del piero bernard
Even if they won the african cup of nations they shouldn't be awarded a 10 ten position they haven't even qualified for the world cup and crashed out of the confed cup in the group phases.

I can see why they potentially could be considered a global juggernaut but at the same time the players and national side fail to be affective at the highest level while the likes of Portugal are able to be competitive in every major competition or at the very least qualify.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
They faced their bogey team in their qualifying group - Algeria. They got sucked into the rivalry, and forgot about their football. Also, all three entrants from Egypt's WC qualifying group made it to the quarters of the tournament; two to the semis.

I dare say that had they been in any other group, they'd have easily qualified. It is a stain to their reputation, but I guess FIFA's just paying tribute to an extra-ordinary accomplishment by this Egyptian side. Fair call, I'd say ... and really, those standings don't count for much. Didn't Spain also crash out to the US?

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Serious, you people are way too obsessed with that list.

milan1st

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Pato, Boateng, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ibrahimovic, Benzema, Fabregas, Essien, Ganso, Seedorf
Football Is A Rotten World – Disgruntled Togolese Goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale
The goalkeeper currently relies on donations to survive...
By K.N.S Mensah
Jan 8, 2011 1:05:00 PM
16 Share
Kodjovi Obilale, Togo (Getty Images)
Photo Gallery
Zoom
Kodjovi Obilale, Togo (Getty Images)
Related Links
Players

* Obilalé

Physically challenged Togo goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale remains a strong man a year after being shot twice in the lower back in a gun attack on their way to the Africa Nations Cup tournament in Angola.

The 26-year-old who is totally disappointed in the continental football governing body CAF and his national FA maintains a positive mind that he will bounce back if not through football to prove to the world that “God never sleeps.”

“I want to do loads of things. I started some training in computing. I’m preparing for a diploma in sports teaching. I’d like to start up a restaurant; an African restaurant here,” the father of two told the BBC.

“But at the moment I don’t have the means... I have written a book and soon it will be on the market. So there you go if it works well my dream is to build an African restaurant...those are my ambitions for the future.

“Even if there is no one supporting me, I’ll do what I can to pull through and to prove to the whole world that you can succeed by other means than just football. The people who told you come to the national team, come we’re waiting for you, answer the call; those people where are they now?

“You’re forgotten. That’s what the football world is like. When you are on two legs everyone is running after you [but] the day you fall down there is nobody there. That’s what it’s like and I am going to prove to the world, to those who are ignoring me, to those who are responsible for this incident and closed their eyes that everything is possible and that God never sleeps.”

Three people were shot dead in the ambush – Amelete Abalo, Stan Ocloo and Mario Adjoua- and nine others including players and officials were injured.

The former GSI Pontivy player has gone through seven operations to repair damage to his spine, liver, bladder and intestines and currently undergoing intensive physiotherapy in a bid to walk without the aid of crutches.

He is upset because CAF and his national FA have all ignored him because he is not a big name in African football.

"There are people who just don't have hearts. All they think of is counting their cash. Honestly, if my name was Samuel Eto'o or Didier Drogba it wouldn't be happening like this.

"Nobody would be offering me $25,000 [the sum FIFA originally offered] or $100,000. But it's because I play for Pontivy. [But] we all kick the same ball - it should be fair for everyone. They don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow, what my plans are. Nobody is asking.

"I'm fighting every day to ask for fairness in all this, to get compensation and all that.

"And everything I do, I do myself. I will have to shout for it. And that's why I say football is a rotten world."

The Togolese international who was part of the World Cup 2006 squad now lives on donations and the generosity of his former international colleague, Emmanuel Adebayor, who has remained in regular contact since the attack.

srlsly didnt know where to post this