Suso "Jesús Joaquín Fernández Sáenz de la Torre" Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Let's just accept that Suso is gonna play 90 minutes every game with us until he retires.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
next outstanding performance
with working left side he has more space and trying be less suso but still... how different is left side and right.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
For the Suso haters:

have we played a match without Suso in the last years?
If yes, how did we play? I can’t remember him not being a part of our line up.

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score
I just think he has lost some explosiveness and is no longer able to beat defenders 1v1 as frequently as before. The result, holds the otherwise quick team back.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
For the Suso haters:

have we played a match without Suso in the last years?
If yes, how did we play? I can’t remember him not being a part of our line up.

The 2019 games with Samu as RW instead of Suso:

Milan 3 - 0 Empoli (Samu 1 goal, 1 assist)
Milan 2 - 0 Napoli
Juve 1 - 0 Milan
Sampdoria 0 - 2 Milan

Absolute VERGOGNA results!
No wonder Rino decided to never bench or even rest Suso when he wasn't unavailable due to injury/suspension.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
The point is to have players who can all contribute.

If Suso disappears, we need others to fill the void.
Im not saying Suso needs to play every minute of everygame.

Im saying we need more people offering the team stats like, and better than his.

Whats hard to understand about that?

just play 4312 with Leao and Piatek. Suso on the bench. Sadly. Our worst coach (worse than Tabarez) since the club's inception didn't even try.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
i always pray for this fucker to get injured. he never gets injured. 8 games played. he played the full 90 minutes all the time.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2019 games with Samu as RW instead of Suso:

Milan 3 - 0 Empoli (Samu 1 goal, 1 assist)
Milan 2 - 0 Napoli
Juve 1 - 0 Milan
Sampdoria 0 - 2 Milan

Absolute VERGOGNA results!
No wonder Rino decided to never bench or even rest Suso when he wasn't unavailable due to injury/suspension.

:thumbsup:

i truly hope pioli has the balls to bench him

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Without him our play get‘s far to reactive.

Somewhat, yes. His wide target-man holdup play helps taking the game to the opponent's half. But much of the reactiveness in the 1st half could've been avoided even without Suso.

Duarte in Calabria's spot turned out to be a mistake. The team had no engine and was set up to sit back and defend.

Leao's absence was felt more than Suso's.
Much of the fluidity and impressive attacking plays against Lecce and Roma was thanks to his versatility and the interchanges and combinations instigated by him.
The team still looked lethargic in the attack after Suso came on because Piatek can't do what Leao does and Suso is not as decisive as you're making him out to be.
But those previous games also taught us Leao can't be relied on as goal scorer.
We need both Leao and Piatek, assuming Piatek can still score.

I hope Pioli doesn't give up looking for solutions without Suso as starter(I don't mind him coming off the bench like tonight)
I'd try a 442 next with Leao-Piatek and one of Paq/Krunic on the wide right.

Last edited:

WILL2K

Magical Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo , Maldini , Kaka , Zizou ..
Given he doesn’t have a lot of energy, a 20-30 minute impact sub could make him more dangerous than playing 70-90 mins per game.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Somewhat, yes. His wide target-man holdup play helps taking the game to the opponent's half. But much of the reactiveness in the 1st half could've been avoided even without Suso.

Duarte in Calabria's spot turned out to be a mistake. The team had no engine and was set up to sit back and defend.

Leao's absence was felt more than Suso's.
Much of the fluidity and impressive attacking plays against Lecce and Roma was thanks to his versatility and the interchanges and combinations instigated by him.
The team still looked lethargic in the attack after Suso came on because Piatek can't do what Leao does and Suso is not as decisive as you're making him out to be.
But those previous games also taught us Leao can't be relied on as goal scorer.
We need both Leao and Piatek, assuming Piatek can still score.

I hope Pioli doesn't give up looking for solutions without Suso as starter(I don't mind him coming off the bench like tonight)
I'd try a 442 next with Leao-Piatek and one of Paq/Krunic on the wide right.

I agree with this, the more you think of it a two man forward line is probably the better solution because both of our attackers need to play off another player. Piatek is not strong or skilled enough to lead a line on his own, he does not hold up play or drive forward with the ball. Leao on the other hand does not move off the ball well enough to create space for the ball to be pushed forward.

Anyway our 'wingers' are totally ineffective and like to move inward so that are technically attacking mids who start on the wing.

A basic 4-4-2 is the simplest way to train a team, because each player knows his attacking and defensive tasks clearly and no one is totally isolated. It is the better solution, whether its Leao-Piatek upfront or Suso-Rebic or whoever...

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn‘t mind playing slightly false 9ish with Leao, Piatek just isn‘t worth a starting place at the moment.

I don‘t really see the advantage of playing 4-4-2 instead of 4-2-3-1, 4-2-3-1 is easier system with clear roles too and fits our players quite well.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
It was vital that he was rested in yesterday's game. Fatigue took its toll on his body for quite some time, which caused a slight dip in performance.

Oedipus

Milan Icon
Reaction score
It was vital that he was rested in yesterday's game. Fatigue took its toll on his body for quite some time, which caused a slight dip in performance.

Slight dip:lol:
Like world war 2 being a slight dip for civilization.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don‘t really see the advantage of playing 4-4-2 instead of 4-2-3-1, 4-2-3-1 is easier system with clear roles too and fits our players quite well.

Leao would obviously have a free role and probably stay closer to the LM/Hakan than Piatek.

442, 4411, 4222, 4231, whatever.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Mark my words: as long as we remain Suso-dependent, we will remain mid-table.

It's not Suso's fault that noone else in the team can create shit.
Samu is Genoa level.
Hakan has 1 good game and then 10 shit games.

If you want to resolve the Suso dependency - buy a great winger or two.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
It's not Suso's fault that noone else in the team can create shit.
Samu is Genoa level.
Hakan has 1 good game and then 10 shit games.

If you want to resolve the Suso dependency - buy a great winger or two.

:star:

100% agreed.

Suso is good enough to play on a top 4 team. Def not a league winning team but a top 4 Serie A team for sure.

Hakan, Samu, Musa, RR, Conti, Biglia, Kessie, Borini, etc. are all mid-table level with some prob being mid-low table level quality. We need to stop purchasing depth and now just focus on bringing in 2-3 quality talents.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Slight dip:lol:
Like world war 2 being a slight dip for civilization.

It was a slight dip in form. I'm aware that he didn't record several goals or assists during that period, but his overall play was acceptable to some extent. He created a lot of chances through his trademark move, always forced the opposition out wide to double up on him, resulting in more space to his teammates.

Also, not to forget that the Suso-trequartista-experiment from GP which ended up to be an astonishingly awful experiment, was another result of Suso's dip in form.

Now that he finally got some rest and that he's back on the wing again, we might (a big might) see the real Suso in the coming weeks. It would be great to see him maintain some consistency, because I know what the real Suso is capable of - and when Suso starts doing his thing, he's productive for some months... until the opposition team figures him out again.

nanook

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
XHZZARf.gif

replay - https://i.imgur.com/eMTVZ5f.gifv

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I miss his crosses.

It's true that it was always clear what he's gonna do, but it still worked most of the time. The problem is only it's clear that he's covered by a defender, but he still tries and shoots it into him.

jon

The Matrix
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Romagnoli, Cutrone, De Bruyne

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
sell and buy everton or go for david neres. even a cheaper option like orsolini if we want to stay cheap would be ok. suso will do well on a better team but he doesn't do enough here in a team that needs a flat out star. he is not the enemy people see him to be, but hes not good enough to carry a team. sell for the greater good but tbh, even though hes not that amazing, hes still some of the best we have

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Awful against Samp. Those 2 balls he looked to play into the box but ended up hoofing out summed him up as a player.

Schedule