Tennis

Should women be paid the same sum as men in Grand Slams?

• Total voters

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
Medeea said:
Maria Sharapova - Anna Chakvetadze
Kim Clijsters - Martina Hingis
Serena Williams - Shahar Peer
Nicole Vaidisova - Lucie Safarova

Wow. The only good match is Kim against Martina. :eek: And I am gonna support the Swiss lady :D

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
So, by now we know one semifinal Serena Williams - Nicole Vaidisova.

I hope that Kim Clijters will pass Martina Hingis and win the tournament. She is a great player, had some bad luck with injuries and she will retire this year.

Reaction score
Medeea said:
So, by now we know one semifinal Serena Williams - Nicole Vaidisova.

I hope that Kim Clijters will pass Martina Hingis and win the tournament. She is a great player, had some bad luck with injuries and she will retire this year.

i agree ! :) she has only won one grand slam so this year she has to win them all ;):)
go kim !!

RATM

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Medeea said:
1st semifinal for Men's Singles : Federer - Roddick

I'm a big Federer fan and normally this match-up wouldn't worry me but things are different this time.

Roddick was done and dusted at this point in his career last year.He's always been one-dimensional but his evolution with Jimmy Connors has been remarkable.His volleying and backhand have improved immeasurably.

Federer's form has been a little below par from his usual high standards.He's shown flashes of brilliance mixed with uncharachteristic errors.He has to play much better against Roddick otherwise it wouldn't be a shock if he lost.

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
NOOO!! fuck Nadal's out :( :eek: this sucks...

F.Gonzalez 6 6 6
R.Nadal 2 4 3

:proud: Vamos Rafa !!

Can't believe this shit :devilcry:
Hope Nadal will kick Gonzalez out of the Roland Garros

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
haha Nadal got hell owned.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
RATM said:
I'm a big Federer fan and normally this match-up wouldn't worry me but things are different this time.

Roddick was done and dusted at this point in his career last year.He's always been one-dimensional but his evolution with Jimmy Connors has been remarkable.His volleying and backhand have improved immeasurably.
You hit the nail on the head, mate.
Roddick recently beat Federer in the Kooyong Classic. About a week prior to the OZ Open. He is in awesome form.

RATM said:
Federer's form has been a little below par from his usual high standards.He's shown flashes of brilliance mixed with uncharachteristic errors.He has to play much better against Roddick otherwise it wouldn't be a shock if he lost.
Federer hasn't really been tested yet. He was serving and volleying a lot in his last match something that he rarely does. It seems asthough he was just trying something new to practice against Roddick.

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
haha Nadal got hell owned.

Just wait untill the Roland Garros starts again and then we will talk again ;)

Rafa: Leg injury impeded me

See :D Gonzalez didn't play good Rafa had problems with his leg :)
I guess Roger will win it...:deviliri:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hopefully Rodger will up his game on clay!
Though Federer rules every other surface! ;)

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
This guys Gonzalez, I've not seen much of him but he played some sublime tennis against Hewitt the other day. Being Latin American, people would naturally favor him on clay courts but it seems he breezed past Nadal. And Andy Murray is a real talent. Thank god he's Scottish. If he's English, the media will literally eat him up. Not that being British in itself is much of an asset when talking about this issue anyway.

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
The lovely Russian lady is in the finals. Wish her all the best and win the women's champion again ;) Come on Maria!!

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
AC_Wesley said:
Just wait untill the Roland Garros starts again and then we will talk again ;)

Rafa: Leg injury impeded me

See :D Gonzalez didn't play good Rafa had problems with his leg :)
I guess Roger will win it...:deviliri:

What are you saying? Gonzalez didn't play good? But, did you watch the game???? He played good, he is in excelent form, he defeated Blake, Hewitt and now Nadal.

P.S. Don't buy Nadal explanation "I had a pain, here in my famous ass". Even without the "pain", Gonzalez would have beaten him.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nadal had no response at all against Gonzalez. He didn't know what hit him.
Sharapova's through to the Final :D
Now its Federer's turn =)

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
About those who are saying that Roddick is favourite because he beat Federer at Kooyong. Do not forget it was a demonstrative tournament and some of the players didn't pushed the limits too far so that they wouldn't face injuries and .... there were 3 sets matches.
Anyhow, Federer tends to save his strenghts considering the opponnents, he doesn't play 100% in the early matches of the tournaments. He can beat all those guys easily.

I like both Federer and Roddick (neither of them is my favourite player), but I admitt that Federer is the best of all...he is just unbelievable, one class above them. Even so, it can happen to loose ....rarely :tongue:

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
San Paolo said:

Si ;)

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
As I said to those who said Roddick will beat him .... Federer is one class about them all. God, this is unbelievable .... 6/4 6/0 6/2

Federer just gave Roddick a lesson on tennis .... :eek: The shortest semifinal at AO

I knew why I wanted Safin to eliminate Roddick, so that I can see another semifinal Federer - Safin. Anyhow, Federer is just too good.

:star:

GW

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Flamini, Pippo, Nesta, T. Silva, Pjanic, Begovic, Besic
Tennis lesson from Federer for Roddick !!!

Just unbeliviable!
In one part of the match Federer won 11 straight games !

Think he would be a champion in Australia, Gonzalez ( probably he will pass Hass) is in great form but with this Roger like today no way !! :head:

Thank you maestro for great game :star:

RATM

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I never said that Roddick would beat Federer.Just that Roddick has improved immeasurably since joining Jimmy Connors and this match looked more closer than it normally does.Many journalists,Mats Wilander and myself (big Federer fan) thought this would be much more of a fight than normal.However,Roddick after the first set looked pretty hopeless out there.It was a complete annihilation.The first set was a bit strange-no one played their best tennis.Roger just went to a whole another level after that.I'm pretty sure if he really wanted to-he could've ended the third set 6-0 as well.It could've ended even earlier than 83 minutes-which was incredibly short for a Grand Slam semi-final.

As for the women,my favourite is Henin-Hardenne and she wasn't playing so didn't really care much.I've watched Sharapova long before she won a Grand Slam and it was very clear that she was a future GrandSlam winner.However,she's been a bit overrated the last couple of years.Ppl like their stars to be photogenic so that's why she gets more attention from the media than someone like Clijsters or Henin.

Clijsters didn't play her best tennis but that's what you get with her.Winning or losing doesn't mean that much to her as it would to someone like Maria or Serena.I guess that's why she's gonna retire at age 23 or 24.She's an underachiever-just didn't want to fight the mental battle it takes to win GrandSlams.

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
I agree that Sharapova is overrated. For me, Henin and Clijsters are great players. Let's see what happens with the younger players that are now in WTA. I hope there will be more competition because right now, honestly, I really don't think there is a high level of competition among them.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What Federer did to Roddick was cold blooded murder... I've never seen anything like it!

RATM

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Medeea said:
I agree that Sharapova is overrated. For me, Henin and Clijsters are great players. Let's see what happens with the younger players that are now in WTA. I hope there will be more competition because right now, honestly, I really don't think there is a high level of competition among them.

There is good competition in the ATP Tour,but not in the GrandSlam circuit.There are players like Nadia Petrova who do great in ATP but are a bust at the Grand Slam circuit.ANd that's just one example,not many players that you can point to and say 'Future GrandSlam Winner or Contender'.Nicole Vaidisova is the best of the lot-she's like Sharapova without the mental toughness.

However,the main problem with the women's game is the lack of diversity.So many matches are just 'go in there and out-hit your opponent' and if you can't then thats it.So many players are so one-dimensional.I know that baseline hitting and winners from the back of the court requires accuracy but most of these players don't know anything else.That's what I like about Henin:she's diminutive and has no power as compared to the Williams sisters or Sharapova but she can compete and win because of her diversity.She's a good counter-puncher and relies on timing and precision.She hits the ball with slices that reach low and that's why Sharapova has generally struggled against her.She doesn't give a lot of balls that are in the hitting range.That's why Clijsters made a lot of errors against Hingis as well.

John Mcenroe,Martina Navratilova pointed out that the current rackets make hitting from the back of the court much easier.Martina said that she was one of the best serve and volleyers of all time in the women's game but even she would really struggle with that tactic now.Mario Ancic and Federer used to serve and volley an awful lot when they turned proffessional but have totally changed their tactic since then.Martina Hingis also lambasted coaches who paid too much emphasis on back-court power hitting but their players were pretty one-dimensional.She said that players should learn from Federer and Henin and not be so one-dimensional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr C

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
What Federer did to Roddick was cold blooded murder... I've never seen anything like it!

Or you could say he raped him all over the place lol, he is such a good player though

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
Milanista said:
Haas lost :(

Yes, but I knew that Gonzalez would win, he has been playing great at this AO and with Haad he played just great 6/1 6/3 6/1. He had only 3 unforced errors... that's just incredible :eek:

Federer and Gonzalez played incredible semifinals, ~90minutes each

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
Medeea said:
Yes, but I knew that Gonzalez would win, he has been playing great at this AO and with Haad he played just great 6/1 6/3 6/1. He had only 3 unforced errors... that's just incredible :eek:

Federer and Gonzalez played incredible semifinals, ~90minutes each

The finals is as far as Gonzalez can go. There is almost no chance for him to win Federer.

As for women, it will be a hard match to predict a winner. But I hope the best for Maria.

milanissimo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`
San Paolo said:
forza maria :star:

Schedule