San Siro to go synthetic?

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
San Siro to go synthetic?
(Football Italia)

In a weekend where heavy rainfall and snow has affected Serie A’s games, it’s been revealed a synthetic pitch for the San Siro is ready to go.
UEFA have lifted their ban on artificial playing surfaces for the Champions’ League, UEFA Cup and other competitions from next season and some Italian clubs are raring to make the most of this change.
Milan and Inter have often complained at the uneven nature of the pitch in the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, especially since a third tier was added for the 1990 World Cup.

“If the Italian Federation gives us the go-ahead,” revealed Milan representative Alfonso Cefaliello, “then we would be ready to go. It would solve a lot of problems and halve the costs of maintenance.”

Artificial pitches had been outlawed after injuries and uneven bounces were reported in the early days of this experiment, but advances in technology mean the surfaces are reliable and above all not prone to flooding or ice.
The Milanese clubs are particularly prepared for this eventuality, as both the Milanello and Appiano Gentile training grounds already use synthetic surfaces.

“We were very sceptical,” noted Inter representative Luciano Cucchia, “but at the moment an artificial San Siro pitch is something we can’t help but consider. As the field is criticised by our own players and Coaching staff, it’s clear we have to do something.”
Both Roberto Mancini and Carlo Ancelotti have commented this season that they play better football on their travels, as they don’t have to deal with the San Siro field. The situation is so dire that the clubs have sections of grass flown in from around Europe to patch up the surface.
The pitch has already undergone this treatment twice since September and last year there were five at a cost of £100,000 each. It’s reported that making the entire field at the San Siro synthetic would be a one-off payment of £560,000.

“In Northern Europe we are already more accepting of this kind of surface,” explained Milan’s Danish international Jon Dahl Tomasson. “Of course a grass pitch in good condition is the best, but there are situations where that just isn’t possible. I’m convinced the future for both Scandinavia and Italy is synthetic.”

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
I'm glad they are finally doing this. I was pissed off at all the weird bounces in the Milan-Inter game last season.
And the maintenance bill will be much cheaper.

Melbourne

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
(teams); Milan, Barca, Man Utd, South Melbourne
Very sad.

Nothing beats a top notce grass (real) pitch :)

Must be done though i spose. Current pitch condition is preety crap.

Barremans

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MvB, Maldini, Rino, Pirlo and Cocu
off course real grass is the best ,but due to circumstances it can be useful to go synthetic, but only if the synthatic grass is from the same quality as real grass and when making slidings not making burn wounds which has happened in holland.

pixiraver

Acmilan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldinho, okocha, shevchenko, inzaghi, maradona, romario
Melbourne said:
Very sad.

Nothing beats a top notce grass (real) pitch :)

Must be done though i spose. Current pitch condition is preety crap.

i support u melbourne ,nothing like d real grass,it is just natural and soccer should be played naturally :)