Riccardo Montolivo Thread

How do you like Montolivo?

• Total voters

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i think maybe with Abate instead of DES as RB it could work. That way he could focus more on defending and Abate will have more freedom to attack. Abate can cover him up for his lack of pace. We have good attacking players on left so our attacking play will mostly go through that side anyway. Plus with Monty on the CDM he wouldn't have to worry much about passing like now where he gets the ball too many times. Also wouldn't it be easier to position and mark players in sides that in center.

It's easier to dispossess a player on the sides but if you can't man-mark correctly on the sides; then the whole flank suffers. This is why it's important for a CM to know how to position himself, chase players down, and know how to pass. I don't trust De Jong at all on the side either. His positioning is already bad and he NEVER chases players down. He also sidepasses too much and if he tries to do that at CM; then he's going to either start a counter-attack or put the anchor in a really bad position.

He might, we don't know for certain but the fact that no coach has even considered De Jong as a CM despite his bad ball distribution tells me that he has big problems in a CM position.

He's not dynamic enough to play on the side. The kind of DMs who can play on the side have to be similar to Gattuso. Tactically disciplined, have a lot of stamina, know to time their tackles, and know how to pass vertically.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
He's not dynamic enough to play on the side. The kind of DMs who can play on the side have to be similar to Gattuso. Tactically disciplined, have a lot of stamina, know to time their tackles, and know how to pass vertically.

If he'll play as CM, he'll be a lot more like Muntari or Ambrosini than like Gattuso. Being a dynamic CM is only one way of being a CM, and while it's a good quality to have doesn't guarantee that you'll do a great job ... Nocerino and Poli come to mind.

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If he'll play as CM, he'll be a lot more like Muntari or Ambrosini than like Gattuso. Being a dynamic CM is only one way of being a CM, and while it's a good quality to have doesn't guarantee that you'll do a great job ... Nocerino and Poli come to mind.

Ambrosini was slow but he still moved around a lot and knew how to position himself. A CM is always in motion and has to be in order to keep the flank in check.

That's true for Nocerino and Poli. They're mobile CMs but very dumb tactically. However, De Jong is static AND bad in positioning which is why no sane coach would play him on the side.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
De jong is quite dynamic considering that is always out of position.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Ambrosini was slow but he still moved around a lot and knew how to position himself. A CM is always in motion and has to be in order to keep the flank in check.

one of the other qualities of ambro was that he was a respected captain and older and younger players listened to him

he's always been slow but due to his organisatory skills he always found his way back to the team

and became a starter in his later years

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria
I think it's obvious what' happening here. Montolivo has a "upset stomach" like how they say in Italy as he's trying to secure his free move to Juventus next year

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
I think it's obvious what' happening here. Montolivo has a "upset stomach" like how they say in Italy as he's trying to secure his free move to Juventus next year

Usually the 'mal di pancia' happens during the transfer season, and the transfer season is already over... If he plays crappy the entire year, it will limit his salary negotiations with whatever club hires him next season.

After the first season, he's had a few injuries and maybe he started feeling comfortable being the captain and all, and was training/playing mostly on auto-pilot. Too soon though to tell...

Dirk Diggler

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Nesta, Ibrahimovic, Mexes, Montolivo
Agent: ?Montolivo rejected offers?
By Football Italia staff

Riccardo Montolivo?s agent reveals both the player and Milan turned down offers this summer.

The Italian international has so far been benched by Coach Sinisa Mihajlovic, who has preferred Nigel De Jong in the Rossoneri midfield.

?There?s a strange hostility toward Montolivo,? Giovanni Branchini told Calciomercato.

?We can?t forget he?s a player who has been out for a year with his tibia injury, and then he had another operation.

?I don?t think the problem is a lack of fitness, but just a lack of game-time in general.

?There?s never been any controversy, because it?s right that those who are in better shape play, but it?s not right to forget the serious injury Riccardo suffered.

?There have been several teams asking about him, but neither us or Milan have taken any offers into consideration.?

So simple. This guy gets it. RnBers can't it seems.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Exactly, he needs some game time.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agent: ?Montolivo rejected offers?
By Football Italia staff

Riccardo Montolivo?s agent reveals both the player and Milan turned down offers this summer.

The Italian international has so far been benched by Coach Sinisa Mihajlovic, who has preferred Nigel De Jong in the Rossoneri midfield.

?There?s a strange hostility toward Montolivo,? Giovanni Branchini told Calciomercato.

?We can?t forget he?s a player who has been out for a year with his tibia injury, and then he had another operation.

?I don?t think the problem is a lack of fitness, but just a lack of game-time in general.

?There?s never been any controversy, because it?s right that those who are in better shape play, but it?s not right to forget the serious injury Riccardo suffered.

?There have been several teams asking about him, but neither us or Milan have taken any offers into consideration.?

So simple. This guy gets it. RnBers can't it seems.

that guy is his agent, did you expect him to say his fitness is not up to par or he deserves to be on the bench?

can people please think b4 posting, it would really make a difference if we have less of that on here.. we already have enough users who enjoy nothing more than to waste other's times

...i would like to say, no offence intended bro, but for fuck sake, think before you post.

after editing i thought maybe i shouldn't have gone overboard..my bad. but do read the stuff you write before posting.

Last edited:

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score
that guy is his agent, did you expect him to say his fitness is not up to par or he deserves to be on the bench?

can people please think b4 posting, it would really make a difference if we have less of that on here.. we already have enough users who enjoy nothing more than to waste other's times

...i would like to say, no offence intended bro, but for fuck sake, think before you post.

after editing i thought maybe i shouldn't have gone overboard..my bad. but do read the stuff you write before posting.

Yes, let's not have users post news and pertinent information in a player thread. Are you high or what, mate?

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Of course Monto should be getting game time now, hope coach decides that quickly.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Of course Monto should be getting game time now, hope coach decides that quickly.

Only as a sub or if someone gets injured probably. Kucka gonna be the 1st one to get time and that's how it should be.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Official: Riccardo Montolivo Thread

Yes, let's not have users post news and pertinent information in a player thread. Are you high or what, mate?

if it wasn't the only word in my mind then it would've had the same response...

I had to lookup the word pertinent juuuust to make sure it didn't mean bullshit. because that's precisely what that post was.

opinions are cool and all, but plz have some effin substance to what you're saying. we have enough Sages and Generals already.

edit: there's also one other user who's always respectful and all but I think Xelcuk deserves to get teabagged because of his opinions

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Did your inside source inform you that his fitness was sub par?

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I had to lookup the word pertinent juuuust to make sure it didn't mean bullshit. because that's precisely what that post was.

opinions are cool and all, but plz have some effin substance to what you're saying. we have enough Sages and Generals already.

edit: there's also one other user who's always respectful and all but I think Xelcuk deserves to get teabagged because of his opinions

You're an odd one. All dirk did was post a news article from some website and give a little quip at the end, :lol:

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria
rnb'ers are virgins who have never had an injury so they cant relate to Montolivo. give the guy time

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
More than anything I hope that he will manage to recover and start playing well once again, because I honestly can't stand the level of hate Montolivo is getting from Milan fans (majority of us as well!). Its Zaccardo/Bonera/Muntari level hate.... So undeserved

It would leave a bitter taste in my mouth if he doesn't recover and will leave Milan in this state because people will only remember him post injury, which is just ridiculous considering he played 10 games post injury, gold fish memory eh

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
more than anything i hope that he will manage to recover and start playing well once again, because i honestly can't stand the level of hate montolivo is getting from milan fans (majority of us as well!). Its zaccardo/bonera/muntari level hate.... So undeserved

it would leave a bitter taste in my mouth if he doesn't recover and will leave milan in this state because people will only remember him post injury, which is just ridiculous considering he played 10 games post injury, gold fish memory eh

2013/14 ???

Dirk Diggler

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Nesta, Ibrahimovic, Mexes, Montolivo

Wtf is your problem, bro. I just gave a short aside in agreement with the man quoted. I've written much longer posts in defense of Montolivo, but nobody is interested in reading them on a forum like this.

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
photo.jpg

Naraku

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Arsenal, Liverpool wanted Montolivo - Talksport and the Daily Mirror

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Wtf is your problem, bro. I just gave a short aside in agreement with the man quoted. I've written much longer posts in defense of Montolivo, but nobody is interested in reading them on a forum like this.

Where the generals\berlus lurke in the corners degrading legitimate debates. I wouldn't take it personally, i think hitman just got tired of knee jerk reactions from certain people and sort of categorized you in that

Hitmans a good guy

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
The montolivo meme is very 2015..isn't it curious, 10 years ago what medium would Ppl use to troll this

Schedule