Nigel de Jong Thread

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
I`m serious. I didn`t say he was a playmaker, but that he has good passing skills.

He rarely makes a wrong pass, and his long passes are so much better than Montolivo`s.
Maybe his long passes are good. But what I meant to say was the amount of time he takes to distribute the ball is just too long. But I guess beggars can't be choosers :head:

olEe

Nicole, Ti Amo.
Reaction score
Maybe his long passes are good. But what I meant to say was the amount of time he takes to distribute the ball is just too long. But I guess beggars can't be choosers :head:

Well, in his defence, the movement of the other players infront of him isn't great and that makes things difficult for NdJ

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Well, in his defence, the movement of the other players infront of him isn't great and that makes things difficult for NdJ
I am not sure, I saw many players who were in better positions than him today and it looked as if he was holding up play.

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score

He takes that extra second in possession so that he can, *gasp*, play the best pass given his situation. De Jong thinking smartly isn't his problem.

IMO, this was his best performance this season. Stellar work from our midget bosslord. :thumbsup:

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
well, we can all agree that he's a much needed player and works amazingly hard. but I think I have to agree to a certain extent with Italian tsar. but i'll rephrase it a bit. when I saw de jong today I found that while remarkably similar to van bommel, there was a difference in the way they play distribution. and I believe that van bommel did a better job of it, than de jong currently does. that's my only qualm about him. he takes longer, with more indirect passes.

but it has to be considered that, imo when van bommel was here, we played differently. van bommel played more central as a true CDM (cuz we had nesta and silva in defence ). de jong doesn't seem to be doing that and plays further back, right in front of the defense as a sweeper. so when in possession, he brings the ball forward, before distributing.

it can also be said that in this particular case, de jong was just being very cautious with his passes due to the mentality of the team on the pitch and w/e.

this is not to take anything away from him though, and i'm definitely not complaining. he's been brilliant for us.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He takes that extra second in possession so that he can, *gasp*, play the best pass given his situation. De Jong thinking smartly isn't his problem.

IMO, this was his best performance this season. Stellar work from our midget bosslord. :thumbsup:
He's no Pirlo, alright? He carries out his brief effectively -- muzzling the opposition & protecting the defense -- but he's not the best passer of the ball. I'll say that despite his performance today. Flaws are flaws, and I can't overlook them just because he did well today.

well, we can all agree that he's a much needed player and works amazingly hard. but I think I have to agree to a certain extent with Italian tsar. but i'll rephrase it a bit. when I saw de jong today I found that while remarkably similar to van bommel, there was a difference in the way they play distribution. and I believe that van bommel did a better job of it, than de jong currently does. that's my only qualm about him. he takes longer, with more indirect passes.

but it has to be considered that, imo when van bommel was here, we played differently. van bommel played more central as a true CDM (cuz we had nesta and silva in defence ). de jong doesn't seem to be doing that and plays further back, right in front of the defense as a sweeper. so when in possession, he brings the ball forward, before distributing.

it can also be said that in this particular case, de jong was just being very cautious with his passes due to the mentality of the team on the pitch and w/e.

this is not to take anything away from him though, and i'm definitely not complaining. he's been brilliant for us.
I agree. I am not questioning his defensive contribution, but when the team transitions from defense to offense, he's a bit of a liability IMO. Maybe the tense atmosphere in the team contributed to it, but I hope he can improve on it.

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He's no Pirlo, alright? He carries out his brief effectively -- muzzling the opposition & protecting the defense -- but he's not the best passer of the ball. I'll say that despite his performance today. Flaws are flaws, and I can't overlook them just because he did well today.

This all seems moot to me. It's unneeded posturing to point out flaws of his game when we all agree De Jong was brilliant and has been so all season long. Stating De Jong isn't good in the air or can't pass like Pirlo is like saying Abbiati doesn't have hair and Abate isn't bald. The point of saying this is?? :lol:

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This all seems moot to me. It's unneeded posturing to point out flaws of his game when we all agree De Jong was brilliant and has been so all season long. Stating De Jong isn't good in the air or can't pass like Pirlo is like saying Abbiati doesn't have hair and Abate isn't bald. The point of saying this is?? :lol:
Because what you said was personal and I was talking about football :)

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I just think we play a different system now as compared to when van bommel was here. its not a problem to me. its just a difference I actually noticed today between de jong and van bommel.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I agree. I am not questioning his defensive contribution, but when the team transitions from defense to offense, he's a bit of a liability IMO. Maybe the tense atmosphere in the team contributed to it, but I hope he can improve on it.

Of course DeJong is not Pirlo. Hell, even Van Bommel was not Pirlo either; however, Van Bommel was just very effective and had great read of the game plus he was quick to pass the ball to our playmakers at that time. We do not have a Pirlo in our team and I do not think we should look for one.
IMHO, if Cristante can hone his defensive skills he can get near to a Van Bommel than a Pirlo.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Absolutely true. Great assist yesterday, but we need someone better to begin attacks quickly. De Jong simply isn't that player.

Or we are all still stuck in memories of Pirlo's days. Caviar-Pizza situation again.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
caviar :lol: pirlo in his last 4 years was nothing more than average.

great assist by de jong.

paganini66

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
He aint Pirlo correct. But hes been given the Pirlo role so far and it screws the whole build up. He never makes the right pass he makes the safe pass and slows the crapp out of our game. He should just do the Gattuso role for us.

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
caviar :lol: pirlo in his last 4 years was nothing more than average.

great assist by de jong.

wrdaments :cool::cool:

He aint Pirlo correct. But hes been given the Pirlo role so far and it screws the whole build up. He never makes the right pass he makes the safe pass and slows the crapp out of our game. He should just do the Gattuso role for us.

well...idk...it all depends on how our forwards run when going forward with the ball...and then this depends on what formations we play. so idk...

EDIT: to me, its like the pirlo role has been divided between him and monto based on how they play. in theory this should have made us more effective....lol

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
@WhoScored 5h
.@NDJ_Official: Completed more passes against Genoa (114) than any other player in a Serie A match this season

#beastmode34

blaze

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic, El Shaarawy, T.Silva, Nesta, De Sciglio, Balotelli, Neymar, Pimp C, Bun B

MAYBE... just maybe.. he is following instructions from the coach :eek::eek::eek:

NIRossoneri

Milan Legend
Reaction score

De Jong has never been given the 'Pirlo' or regista role. He is a defensive midfielder, his job has been and always has been regaining and retaining possession.

The only player with the calmness under possession and passing ability in our squad to play the regista role is Kaka but so much of his game would be wasted there.

De Jong playing the safe pass is the least of our worries, given that the vast majority of the time it's a completed pass. Long ball assists should be seen as bonuses from NDJ rather than obligatory. Our real problem seems to be movement in and around the box, a lot of the time it's just so static.

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
hope he doesnt regret joining us :cry:

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score
De Jong has never been given the 'Pirlo' or regista role. He is a defensive midfielder, his job has been and always has been regaining and retaining possession.

The only player with the calmness under possession and passing ability in our squad to play the regista role is Kaka but so much of his game would be wasted there.

De Jong playing the safe pass is the least of our worries, given that the vast majority of the time it's a completed pass. Long ball assists should be seen as bonuses from NDJ rather than obligatory. Our real problem seems to be movement in and around the box, a lot of the time it's just so static.

All Well said.:thumbsup:

Been saying this for months.

Mexes_5

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Kaka, Mexes, Pazzini
Ran the game. Really good again from him.

ForzaSandro

Milan Icon
Reaction score
This guy frustrates me; someone's lied to him that he is Xavi and that isn't helping. He needs to understand we love him for the headless crazy he's always been.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
This guy frustrates me; someone's lied to him that he is Xavi and that isn't helping. He needs to understand we love him for the headless crazy he's always been.

I don't agree, think he's been our best player this year. He'll have to distribute the ball due to the position he's playing, and he's doing it very well. He certainly isn't over-ambitious in his passing if that's what you're angling at, stats show that.

Celtic wasn't his best game though

ForzaSandro

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I don't agree, think he's been our best player this year. He'll have to distribute the ball due to the position he's playing, and he's doing it very well. He certainly isn't over-ambitious in his passing if that's what you're angling at, stats show that.

Time wasting and ball loosing are the two things that get me nervy. I'd rather see him making interceptions-he does that better than anyone else. The ball distribution isn't his thing and most importantly, it frustrates me.

Campione

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Pirlo, Maldini, Baresi, Donadoni, Suarez

Only those who know nothing about football cant see all the important work he does for us. De Jong is by far our best player this season.

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
If Nigel frustrates you, you're doing something wrong.

Nigel <3

ForzaSandro

Milan Icon
Reaction score
If Nigel frustrates you, you're doing something wrong.

Nigel <3

I doubt it; we need someone-not just one person-to be in charge of the passing. De Jong is best at retrieving the ball, we need him for that especially as Abate can only give the ball to an opponent.
It's not the case that I don't appreciate his work as someone else suggested. It is that he is better, way better at some other aspect of the game. I reckon when he have Honda as rumored and some other passers, De Jong will return to ball getting.

Schedule