Ex-Milan Players - What are they up to now?

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
Milanista10 said:
Marco Simeone is a coach in Argentina or somewhere in south america last tim I heard of him. not in serie C.

no... you're confused with Diego Simeone, ex lazio and ex inter, who's the Estudiantes la Plata coach

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
gaizka22 said:
When did Simone left Milan to PSG? I can only think it was in the years when Milan season went bad (96/97 and 97/98). He returned in 01/02 (if not mistaken) during the January transfer window (Sheva and Pippo were both injured) but he didn't make much impact, no blame attached to him since the team was so weak and finished 6th in the table.
Yes he left in 96/97 it was hard period that time for Milan after Baresi retired and new signigns came from Ajax.I think he was replaced with Kluivert but I'm not very sure.He was remembered as the first player wearing white drawers.I always remember his hat trick against Rosenborg in away game,he did it in perfect way.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
What's Dhorasoo up to? Wiki says he's signed for Livorno but I've read that Chelsea want to give him a trial and are interested...
I loved to say his last name, but alas he sucked...:o

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
^ he really wasnt bad at all...he jsut got absolutely no chances here...he was a similiar case to vogel...not champions league winning material, but a good useful squad player.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
MilanoMike said:
What's Dhorasoo up to? Wiki says he's signed for Livorno but I've read that Chelsea want to give him a trial and are interested...
I loved to say his last name, but alas he sucked...:o
Last time I heard Livorno sent him home since he was so out of form.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, Nesta, Gerrard and Ronaldinho
No, No he is still there eventhough he got injured he will be available for the new season.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Last I heard from Vikash was on uefa.com. He was in their weekly magazine defending homosexuality in football :rolleyes:

paijo17

BAyond Godlike
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini.. Kaka.. Pirlo.. Gattuso.. Ibou.. Zizou.. Collymore etc. haha..
Anyone knows about Guly aka Andrés Guglielminpietro??

Last time i know he play for Al-Nasr.....

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Nice article on Rui from uefa.com.

If there was one player he would pay to watch it would, ironically, be Kaká, the Brazilian who took over Rui Costa's role at Milan. "He's my successor in Milan. Apart from being a great person on and off the pitch, he's very good technically and physically and has a perfect understanding of the game. He has a will to win and will become one of the best players in the world."

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Rui scored a nice brace yesterday for benfica.
Lets hope he is back to his best after his injuries this season.
I could do with another season of Rui playing well.

milanissimo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`
radioactivenerd said:
Rui scored a nice brace yesterday for benfica.
Lets hope he is back to his best after his injuries this season.
I could do with another season of Rui playing well.

Glad to hear that.
Lets hope that we will face Benica in group stages and see Rui again in San Siro

albion tifo

Forever Milanista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan
milanissimo said:
Glad to hear that.
Lets hope that we will face Benica in group stages and see Rui again in San Siro
I miss him a lot but I don't want to see Rui playing against us, he just was an emblem for us. Hope to have more luck with injuries but not to play against us. I wish when he retire to play last match in San Siro in a friendly game
Milan & Benfica & Fiorentina . It should be a big show same as it was when Albertini retired.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Peter the Great

A bit of story about one player that I think is the most underrated hero of the early Sacchi era : Pietro Paolo Virdis, nicknamed Peter the Great who donned the rossonerri jersey in 84 - 89. He was the first in the long line of heroes wearing the no.9 jersey in the last 20 years for Milan.

Before Sacchi revolution, he (along with Massaro) was the main attacking option for Nils Liedholm Milan side. In 86/87 his 17 goals haul made him the league top scorer and qualified Milan to the UEFA Cup the next season.

With the arrival of Sacchi, Gullit and Basten in 87/88 season; his days seemed numbered but early season injury to MvBasten propelled the mustachioed Virdis to partner Gullit in attack. Sacchi's regimental physical training took its toll on the Milan players and early in the season they soon found themselves on losing streak but Virdis scored the crucial winning goal in a home game vs Verona that all but break the losing spell.

Virdis seemed to save his best performance when it matters the most against the most important adversary of that season : Maradona-led Napoli, the defending champion. At the first game at the San Siro, Careca scored the 1st goal but Milan kept their composure and responded back with Virdis led the onslaught with 2 goals in the 4-1 convincing win. But his most important goals came during the return trip. With 2 games remaining and only 1 point separating Napoli from Milan at the top, nothing is more important than this game, played under a clear blue sky of the San Paolo stadium.

A deflected Evani free kick in the first half found the ball richoceting in the penalty box and he was the first to react and stabbed the ball over the outsretched arm of the Napoli goalie. His second goal (a header) came from a Gullit perfect cross from the right side. MvBasten scored the third goal from another Gullit square pass but it was Virdis 2 goals that sealed the 3-2 (Maradona and Careca scored for Napoli) victory as Milan took over from Napoli in the top of the league.

Milan drew the next game vs Fiorentina (Napoli lost to Juve) and the stage was set for a coronation party at Como. A nervous Milan side couldn't break the defense but again Virdis scored when it mattered the most and the single goal gave Milan their first scudetto in 9 years.

At the 88/89 with MvBasten fully fit, Virdis saw his role greatly diminishing and he was used mainly as a sub. He scored a couple of meaningless goals vs Vittochia Stovia in the first round of the Champions Cup but it was Basten who got all the accolades with his 5 goals over the 2 games.

But Virdis still had one important goal that etched his name in Milan history. In the 2nd round of the competition Milan faced Red Star Belgrade. The first game at the San Siro saw a very frustrated Milan side who just couldn't break the determined defense and disaster was looming when Red Star scored a goal. Virdis low shot goal in the dying moments earned Milan a hard fought draw and a tricky return trip to the Marakana stadium (we all know the rest).

Virdis played small part in the later part of the Champions Cup (vs Werder Bremen and Real Madrid) and he was used as a substitute for Gullit in the final at the Nou Camp vs Steaua Bucharest, a fitting tribute overlooked by many for a man who done so much for the side. He left the club the next season.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Is that your piece gaizka? Great stuff. I wanted to upload the Napoli goals to illustrate the story but it appears I can't find them on my computer. Found this however.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Jasper said:
Is that your piece gaizka? Great stuff. I wanted to upload the Napoli goals to illustrate the story but it appears I can't find them on my computer. Found this however.
Yup. Been wanting to do it for months but never seemed to find the time. I'm afraid I will forget about it so I just did it during lunch break :D. Actually there are some information that's missing such as Virdis early career before Milan, total goal for Milan (left my flash disc at home today, couldn't get the data) and small tidbits (name of the Napoli goalie, Red Star player who scored the goal at San Siro etc) that I want to include but memory just failed me.

Milanista10

FORZA MILAN, IL MILAN OLE
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi
Wayyy before my time, but i do remember watching a game or two from these videos..he had salt and peper hair and a salt and pepper mustache...and would run to his left corner flag every time he scored, is that right Gaizka?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milanista10 said:
Wayyy before my time, but i do remember watching a game or two from these videos..he had salt and peper hair and a salt and pepper mustache...and would run to his left corner flag every time he scored, is that right Gaizka?
Yes, he had grey moustache and a streak of white hair, he was sometimes called the Silver or Grey Fox (escaped my memory). As for goal celebration, partly true, can't really remember :) I can't even remember Kaka's celebration in the game vs Genoa lsat week without looking at the video :D

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Zvonimir Boban

I open this thread to dedicate to a real Legend, inteligent, master player Zvonimir Boban.

AC Milan signed him in 1991, immediately loaning him to AS Bari, as they felt he needed time to settle in Italy without counting as one of the 3 non-Italian players the club was limited to at the time. After one season, he was brought back to the Milan squad. He stayed in the club for 9 seasons, and enjoyed great successes with them. He helped the team win the 1994 Champions League title. He won 4 Serie A titles with Milan as well. He played 178 games for Milan, Scoring 21 Goals.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dave Gahan, Martin L. Gore, Alan Wilder, Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher.
He was my only reason to start supporting Milan, back in 1998 after his and Croatia's performance in WC 98. I simply adore him. :proud:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I adore him. After MvBasten, he's my favorite Milan player of all time. In my case, that says a lot.

adrian_milan

Revolutioners at works !!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Il Capitano, Pato, Ibra
One of my favourite ... Dejan Savicevic -- il Genio ... what is he doin now?? still in football ??

adrian_milan

Revolutioners at works !!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Il Capitano, Pato, Ibra
extra info :
Red Star Belgrade succeeded Milan as Champions Of Europe in 1991 playing some
wonderful football until nerves took hold in an insipid final decided by penalties.
The team was decimated, Savicevic, scorer of the winning goal against Bayern Munich
in the semi-finals, joined Milan.

After spending much of his first season on the bench, Savicevic forced his way into
the team following a superb performance in a Champions League victory over Porto
in 1993. Milan, desperately lacking a match winner following the enforced retirement
of Van Basten, had found their saviour. He inspired Milan to a league and European
Cup double. His performance in the European Cup final was arguably one of the
finest individual displays seen in the completion. He created the opening goal for
Massaro and scored the third in the club's infamous 4-0 victory, a spectacular
35 yard half volley from an acute angle. Despite the teams indifferent form the
following season, Savicevic lead Milan to their third successive European Cup final
but didn't play due to 'injury'. Milan, without their main creative threat, lost to Ajax.

Milan bounced back and won the scudetto the following season. Once again Savicevic
played an integral part. It would prove to be his last successful season in Italy as
injuries, which had plagued him throughout his Serie A career, took their toll.

It's fair to say Savicevic and Capello's relationship was strained. Had it not been for
the intervention of club President Silvio Berlusconi, Savicevic would probably have
been left to rot on the Milan bench. Capello controversially left Savicevic out of the
1993 Intercontinental Cup final claiming the player was 'tired' and even more
controversially out of the 1995 European Cup final claiming Savicevic was injured,
Savicevic insisted he was fit.

A player with tremendous close control and vision Savicevic was nicknamed Il Genio
(The Genius) by Berlusconi, his biggest fan. He was often criticised by an Italian
media obsessed with Baggio and Zola for his lack of effort against the 'smaller
teams' but unlike Baggio and Zola, Savicevic was one of the finest big match players
of the last decade (at club level). His contribution to Milan cannot be overstated.
His window of greatness may have been small but while he remained relatively fit he
was, in my opinion, the best player in the World. Unquestionably he was the most
underrated.

quoted from www.soccereurope.com

Last edited:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
i can tell you dida is gonna become an ex-milan player soon and hes gonna still act as if hes hurting from the incident vs celtic.

wanker

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sweden and AC Milan great Liedholm dies
MILAN, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Former Sweden and AC Milan great Nils Liedholm has died at the age of 85, the funeral directors near his Italian home said on Monday.
Liedholm was captain of the Sweden team that lost the 1958 World Cup final to Brazil and he won four Italian titles with Milan before embarking on a successful coaching career.

(The Guardian)

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=55664 (in Italian)

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
adrian_milan said:
One of my favourite ... Dejan Savicevic -- il Genio ... what is he doin now?? still in football ??

last thing I heard from him he was the head of the Montenegro football association... don't know what he's doing not though.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
BMWTaylor said:
Sweden and AC Milan great Liedholm dies
MILAN, Nov 5 (Reuters) - Former Sweden and AC Milan great Nils Liedholm has died at the age of 85, the funeral directors near his Italian home said on Monday.
Liedholm was captain of the Sweden team that lost the 1958 World Cup final to Brazil and he won four Italian titles with Milan before embarking on a successful coaching career.

(The Guardian)

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=55664 (in Italian)
Rest in peace. He was intrumental for Milan in the 50s. Didn't he later coached the side to won the Scudetto in 79?

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
gaizka22 said:
Rest in peace. He was intrumental for Milan in the 50s. Didn't he later coached the side to won the Scudetto in 79?
Yes.

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
adrian_milan said:
He is the president of Montenegrian FA.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Galaxy silent on Gullit links

The Los Angeles Galaxy refused to comment tonight on reports Ruud Gullit was set to become their new coach.

A report on Sky Sports suggested the former Chelsea and Newcastle boss would take over from Frank Yallop in March.

Yallop quit the Galaxy on Sunday to return to San Jose for a second stint in charge of the Earthquakes.

But Galaxy spokesman Patrick Donnelly declined to comment when contacted by PA Sport.

Galaxy president Alexi Lalas said on Monday that the club were looking to appoint a 'sexy type of candidate' to replace Yallop.

Gullit, who coined the phrase 'sexy football', appears to fit the bill and has jumped ahead of other candidates for the job that included Jurgen Klinsmann and Jose Mourinho.

Lalas said: 'There certainly is interest in a high-profile, sexy type of candidate - not simply because this is the Galaxy and this is Los Angeles, but because we are looking to bring in somebody who can do something different.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=480003&cc=4716

Go brother! And don't forget to drop that number 23 in the bench :D