Ricardo Rodriguez Thread

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
what? kessie is the engine of this team.

he's been off form but should no way be sold unless a monster offer comes, and kessie would progress better if we had a talented coach at the helm.

If you've been watching Milan lately, Bakayoko has been the engine of the team. Kessie just hangs around doing nothing, suddenly finds himself in a great position, and always picks the worst possible thing to do. He's horrendous.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
If you've been watching Milan lately, Bakayoko has been the engine of the team. Kessie just hangs around doing nothing, suddenly finds himself in a great position, and always picks the worst possible thing to do. He's horrendous.

unfortunately I am watching milan weekly and kessie's running/interceptions/closing down space doesn't go unnoticed with me.

bakayoko's end product is poor as well, he just doesn't go upfront nearly as much.

kessie's end product is poor, that's true, but it would improve with better coaching.

kessie would be a monster with allegri or conte, regardless of which team they coached.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
unfortunately I am watching milan weekly and kessie's running/interceptions/closing down space doesn't go unnoticed with me.

bakayoko's end product is poor as well, he just doesn't go upfront nearly as much.

he's bad at end product, that's true, but it would improve with better coaching.
Necro thinks Sensi is the next coming of Pirlo.

Why do you even bother.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Funny how you all think bring a coach and we solved all our problems. Why would anyone bring any players in their club, just get a good coach and transfer the Bertolacci's of this world into Ronaldinho's.
Coach can help you, guide you, but how can a coach teach you fkin end product if you cant tech yourself...

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

kessie's end product is poor, that's true, but it would improve with better coaching.

kessie would be a monster with allegri or conte, regardless of which team they coached.

yeah. coach would definitely help him make 2 meter passes to wide open teammates. and worse thing is, it has happened so many times this season. i'm not a hater though. i just think he shouldn't play anywhere near the opponent goal. i don't mind him attempting some long shots when the ball is loose but, he shouldn't be holding the ball when we are attacking.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
In Rodriguez thread, we talk shit about Rodriguez.

How shit is Rodriguez??

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Absolute shit for first team.

He doesnt do anything look at him vs Lazovic he too slow & made stupid decision when defending.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Already the 75th competitive game yesterday, in terms of availability he is on a different planet compared to most of our FBs.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Already the 75th competitive game yesterday, in terms of availability he is on a different planet compared to most of our FBs.

If only he made himself available during the game :D

I'd keep him as a backup... we need a quality LB to compliment AC/DC

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Was actually quite good yesterday. But yeah, should be a backup/rotational player.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Was actually quite good yesterday. But yeah, should be a backup/rotational player.

We first have to find a better one though, the number of horrible LB transfers during the last 10 years is legion.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Says more about his weak FB game than injury resistance.

It's a lot easier to avoid injuries when your game isn't sprint-based like Abate's, and there isn't much back and forth running like Calabria's.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Says more about his weak FB game than injury resistance.

It's a lot easier to avoid injuries when your game isn't sprint-based like Abate's, and there isn't much back and forth running like Calabria's.

Since when does a sprint-based FB game equal strong FB game?

Staying injury free is super important in professional sport, I would consider dangerous movements like Conti often showed the far bigger problem and look how that turned out for him. Abate and Calabria are somewhere in the middle although I suspect that some of Calabrias problems might have been growth-related.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
He plays like CB. He's like a less error-prone Bonera. I have no complaints about his defending, but going forward he's terrible.

I prefer Laxalt much more. This guys is better at 3 atb.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He plays like CB. He's like a less error-prone Bonera. I have no complaints about his defending, but going forward he's terrible.

I prefer Laxalt much more. This guys is better at 3 atb.

I understand that a FB is not a pure defender in modern football but attacking contribution is often a bit overrated though.

I personally like one FB to be very defensive but that´s personal taste.

I think his offensive contribution would improve if he was allowed to take more cornes and free kicks, with Hakan, Suso (and Bona if fit) in the squad his dead ball qualities get a little underused.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Since when does a sprint-based FB game equal strong FB game?

Never said it does, but being able to sprint really fast is very useful for an FB, as we've seen with Abate, who wouldn't belong on this level without it.

RR can't and doesn't sprint like Abate, and he also doesn't run and take on players nearly as much as Calabria.
No wonder he doesn't get injured as often.

He would suffice as a defensive FB option, if he had a CBs physique and aerial prowess, like Ivanovic. He has their sluggishness, that's about it.

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Sell.

An assist isnt enough for this mediocre guy.

Cant even cope against Illicic

Last edited:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Never said it does, but being able to sprint really fast is very useful for an FB, as we've seen with Abate, who wouldn't belong on this level without it.

RR can't and doesn't sprint like Abate, and he also doesn't run and take on players nearly as much as Calabria.
No wonder he doesn't get injured as often.

He would suffice as a defensive FB option, if he had a CBs physique and aerial prowess, like Ivanovic. He has their sluggishness, that's about it.
:lol:. that last paragraph is true. Defensive fullback would be a nice option for us when we need to protect our lead. I hope r.rod can transform himself into a strong defensive fullback option. Honestly imo if you aren't running up and down all game as a fullback then you will be world class. All elite top tier fullbacks/wingbacks make darting runs to attack and defend for the entire game. Alaba is an example.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Official: Ricardo Rodríguez Thread

:lol:. that last paragraph is true. Defensive fullback would be a nice option for us when we need to protect our lead. I hope r.rod can transform himself into a strong defensive fullback option. Honestly imo if you aren't running up and down all game as a fullback then you will be world class. All elite top tier fullbacks/wingbacks make darting runs to attack and defend for the entire game. Alaba is an example.

Let’s not forget than him covering the left side more than attacking the spaces is largely due to Rinos tactics and instrucions. At least if you believe what Ricky said a week ago in a post match interview. So while everyone is asking him to be more propositive it seems that Rino is asking the opposite.

Last day I saw a good video from a youtuber talking about RicRods qualities and flaws and that basically he thinks RicRod is a damn solid fullback and easily one of the better LBs in our league. I think he’s right. Name me three LBs of our opponents who are significantly better. I think RR has even the 2nd most assists in the league even when he‘s not that much involved in our offensive plays like our RBs.

Alex Sandro? Yes, he‘s one if not the best LB in Europe right now. That’s a given. Kolarov? There’s a reason why Roma fans hate him so much. He was horrible in the 1st half of the season. Asamoah? He‘s been a joke at Inter and an incident in the making. De Sciglio? Next. Who’s left from our direct rivals?

So... if we set Serie A standards and keep in mind that RR is playing accordingly to Rinos instructions (I vaguely remember a scene yesterday against Atalanta when Rino called an advancing RR to stay behind) then I feel myself to comfortably say we have one of the better LBs in the league. Maybe even Top 3.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Let’s not forget than him covering the left side more than attacking the spaces is largely due to Rinos tactics and instrucions. At least if you believe what Ricky said a week ago in a post match interview. So while everyone is asking him to be more propositive it seems that Rino is asking the opposite.

Last day I saw a good video from a youtuber talking about RicRods qualities and flaws and that basically he thinks RicRod is a damn solid fullback and easily one of the better LBs in our league. I think he’s right. Name me three LBs of our opponents who are significantly better. I think RR has even the 2nd most assists in the league even when he‘s not that much involved in our offensive plays like our RBs.

Alex Sandro? Yes, he‘s one if not the best LB in Europe right now. That’s a given. Kolarov? There’s a reason why Roma fans hate him so much. He was horrible in the 1st half of the season. Asamoah? He‘s been a joke at Inter and an incident in the making. De Sciglio? Next. Who’s left from our direct rivals?

So... if we set Serie A standards and keep in mind that RR is playing accordingly to Rinos instructions (I vaguely remember a scene yesterday against Atalanta when Rino called an advancing RR to stay behind) then I feel myself to comfortably say we have one of the better LBs in the league. Maybe even Top 3.

^I agree completely. Not sure where I would rank him in the league, but I think for the most part he does his job very well.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I don't really follow other teams and don't really care, but I don't like RR as a starting XI player for our Milan.

The problem is not in Rino's tactics, but that RR has only 1 foot...maybe that's why he's told to sit back. Because of his 1 footedness, he's very limited and predictable when going forward... and when he uses that foot, he's not even that dangerous. The assists he's got are mostly due to the effort/skill of our forwards.

Compare Calabria's assist to Paqueta, where he just laid the ball for him to tap it in with RR's assist to Piatek.

His other 2 assists - 1 brainfart of Roma's defense, the other one is not even an assist, but just the last pass before Suso's spark of genius (vs Sampdoria).

He's not that good defensively as well, his side was being raped yesterday. Although, he's not too bad usually.

Sorry Alo, I know he's your countryman and it would bring you pleasure to have him succeed here, but I don't think he's gonna be here long, at least not as starting player.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't really follow other teams and don't really care, but I don't like RR as a starting XI player for our Milan.

The problem is not in Rino's tactics, but that RR has only 1 foot...maybe that's why he's told to sit back. Because of his 1 footedness, he's very limited and predictable when going forward... and when he uses that foot, he's not even that dangerous. The assists he's got are mostly due to the effort/skill of our forwards.

Compare Calabria's assist to Paqueta, where he just laid the ball for him to tap it in with RR's assist to Piatek.

His other 2 assists - 1 brainfart of Roma's defense, the other one is not even an assist, but just the last pass before Suso's spark of genius (vs Sampdoria).

He's not that good defensively as well, his side was being raped yesterday. Although, he's not too bad usually.

Sorry Alo, I know he's your countryman and it would bring you pleasure to have him succeed here, but I don't think he's gonna be here long, at least not as starting player.
Everyone is entitled to his opinion and we don't have to agree on everything ;)

This year I'm trying to follow other teams way more than I did in the last two, three seasons. Gives me a little bit more perspective. Because we can't compare our current Milan only to the past legends that used to play here :). RR for sure is no Cafu, let alone Maldini. But he's far away from the Mesbahs and Constants of this world. Hell even DeS. If you look around in this league, he's one of the best.

That said I agree with you that RR does have flaws. He's definitely not a flawless player. Having an Alex Sandro instead of him is something I would put my signature on every day of the week. :)

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
the only problem with RR is that he's very slow, that's really all it is.

he's solid defensively, solid passer and neat with possession, has a good cross on him which I wish he would be allowed to use more often.

if he was fast, we'd have one of the best fullbacks in the world.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
No way is RR anywhere near a world class player. But IMO he´s one of the most underrated players in our team and I think he´s top 3 or 4 left backs in the league. He wont be our starter for many seasons, but for now he will do until we get someone better this summer or next summer.

Also I can´t help but to like him when I laugh for his wooden leg when it seems like he´s in a situation where it looks like he cant control the ball and then somehow he gets out of that situation :lol:

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No way is RR anywhere near a world class player. But IMO he´s one of the most underrated players in our team and I think he´s top 3 or 4 left backs in the league. He wont be our starter for many seasons, but for now he will do until we get someone better this summer or next summer.

Also I can´t help but to like him when I laugh for his wooden leg when it seems like he´s in a situation where it looks like he cant control the ball and then somehow he gets out of that situation :lol:

I’ve never heard a bad word about him either. Seems like a great team player and someone Gattuso loves.

Like Sage said, he only lacks speed, which is the difference between him being world class and what he actually is, one of the best LBs in Serie A. I think his defensive contributions are huge and it allows our right backs to be more attack minded.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
let' say that it's not the position on which we need to invest heavily in the next summer transfer window

It's clearly not but RR does get a lot of hate usually.

It's good to see him appreciated. He is as slow as a computer from the early 90s and he is shockingly unwilling to deliver balls into the box, but he's solid defensively and tidy.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
the only problem with RR is that he's very slow, that's really all it is.

he's solid defensively, solid passer and neat with possession, has a good cross on him which I wish he would be allowed to use more often.

if he was fast, we'd have one of the best fullbacks in the world.

Really ?

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He couldn't show what hes capable of going forward when we had Jack as our LCM and Hakan ignoring his overlaps... hes got more freedom now and a CF he can look for with those quality passes and crosses hes capable of

His pace is an issue, but he makes up for it by being good and consistent on the ball, tidy for a fullback. I dont see him as someone we need to upgrade personally