AC Milan - Serie A 2009/2010

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
on the 'Field of Dreams'. http://ocampodossonhos.blogspot.com/

Velez vs Milan for download.
WCCF1994.jpg

Game from 1994.

Last edited:

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I like the fact that in the last 2 games (vs Roma and Real) Milan seemed (at least to me) a 4-2-3-1 formation ala France 98-00. IMO Milan was more attacking that way.

Problem with this formation is that it left Abate out since there will be no room for a classic winger, unless he's willing to play at RB which he already did few times this season. Another possible problem is what we will do once Pato is injured since none of the other 3 strikers (Huntelaar, Boriello, Pippo) can play in his position.

I like the formation analysis. Now the next question is, can Beckham play Pato's role (in a slow motion) ??

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
COPPA ITALIA DRAW: MILAN-NOVARA
11/26/2009

MILAN - With two goals by Gonzalez, Novara have beaten Siena 2-0 away from home. The team thus qualified for the Eighth Finals of the Tim Cup where they will face Milan. Novara are first in the table with 32 points in Round A of Lega Pro - Prima divisione.
acmilan.com

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
11/26/2009

MILAN - With two goals by Gonzalez, Novara have beaten Siena 2-0 away from home. The team thus qualified for the Eighth Finals of the Tim Cup where they will face Milan. Novara are first in the table with 32 points in Round A of Lega Pro - Prima divisione.
acmilan.com
Siena are gonna get relegated this year so Novara's upset is not that shocking.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
idiot.com...

Calcio Debate: Over-Achieving Milan Need To Lose Big Games If They Are To Succeed
The Rossoneri may well have enjoyed some positive results of late, but they have masked some serious problems, according to Goal.com's Kris Voakes.

Dec 16, 2009 12:15:40 PM
Galliani & Leonardo - Milan (Getty Images)
Photo Gallery
Zoom
Galliani & Leonardo - Milan (Getty Images)
Related Links
Teams

* Milan

They were unbeaten in 13 and winning plaudits all over the country until Sunday... so why wasn't Milan's 2-0 home defeat to Palermo on Sunday in the least bit surprising? Well, it's because Goal.com's Carlo Garganese was dead right back in September when he proclaimed this Milan squad to be the worst in 25 years.

As a resident of Milan, this writer has managed to see the Rossoneri up close on several occasions this season. The first was on that infamous night in September when they were humbled at the hands of Hannu Tihinen and FC Zurich in the Champions League. The following weekend I was in attendance as Ronaldinho scored a late equaliser to snatch a point away to 10-man Atalanta, a result commonly believed to have kept coach Leonardo in a job. And it was in Bergamo that afternoon that I was speaking to an official from Juventus, who echoed Carlo's words to the letter. "This is the worst Milan side since the Berlusconi days began."

But whilst I have been party to an upturn in results for the Via Turati side in the last two and a half months, they have remained unconvincing as a title contender. And it was only going to be a matter of time before Leonardo's new ultra-attacking '4-2-fantasia' formation was unlocked and put to the sword. This remains an old, weathered, creaking squad which will struggle to claim a top three place this season, let alone cause problems for the five-time champions in-the-making across the city.

Let's look at the facts... Milan's recent run has been based around the idea of keeping the ball, feeding Ronaldinho regularly and simply scoring more goals than the opposition. But whilst one can concede that their 3-2 win over Real Madrid at the Bernabeu was a fantastic result off the back of a great performance, it has been their only truly impressive display this season.

Their back-line is the worst Rossoneri defence this calcio fan have ever witnessed, even though it contains the mercurial Alessandro Nesta. Not a single full-back has impressed in the red and black this season. Gianluca Zambrotta, Giuseppe Favalli, Kakha Kaladze, Marek Jankulovski and Massimo Oddo have all lost it - if Oddo ever had it - and Ignazio Abate is a mediocre winger who has been asked to play at the back simply due to their defensive deficiencies. And at centre-back they have bigger problems than they might let on.

Let me put it out there... Alessandro Nesta, whilst being Milan's player of the season so far, is an accident waiting to happen. Not because he's lacking anything in ability - all of the defensive know-how is still there, as he has been forced to prove many a time this season - but because the poor guy is knackered. If you get the chance to see Milan up close in 2010, keep one eye on Sandrino. For there you'll see a man with his hands on his hips whenever the ball is out of his reach, be that in the last minute or the first. And when they're not on his hips, they're on his lower back, which, according to well-connected circles in the city, is ready to give way again at any moment. It's a distressing sight to see this man, who used to glide into challenges, now struggling to keep up due to his body's debilitated state.

It's not as though Nesta gets much time to rest, given the chaos going on around him. His Brazilian partner Thiago Silva has been winning plaudits for his performances since becoming eligible for the first XI in the summer. But whilst he has been a vast improvement on the abominable back-up pair of Favalli and Kaladze, he is prone to lapses of concentration which, at times, have landed the Diavoli in trouble (see Jeremy Menez's goal for Roma at the San Siro for one such example). And the very fact that Favalli and Kaladze are the only alternatives points to an alarming lack of depth at Milanello right now.

So whilst their front six have excited of late, Milan desperately need some help from their attack-minded players if they are not going to be found out in the collection of gigantic games that awaits them over the next month. As well as Saturday's trip to Fiorentina, there are January dates with Genoa, Juventus and Inter, as the Rossoneri revolution under Leonardo gets a real test for the first time in months. And with Palermo having shown the way, there's a good chance that Milan could be picked apart by the string of more convincing sides they have soon to play.

It's not as if you could put your house on their attacking six bailing them out against the top sides either. Whilst Ronaldinho in particular has revelled in his new pivotal role in recent weeks, Leonardo's new system, coupled with Clarence Seedorf's lack of defensive nous or any kind of pace, has created a huge amount of defensive responsibility for Andrea Pirlo and Massimo Ambrosini, which the two 30-somethings are simply not up to fulfilling. This was in particular evidence in the recent home games against Cagliari and Marseille when Milan were battered in midfield but just about managed to get the results they needed. But those midfield ailments came to light again at the hands of the Rosanero on Sunday, and this time they were not so lucky.

So whilst their two-month unbeaten run bought them time, it's purchases of a different kind which are needed. January is not only a month which will make or break them on the pitch, it's also a chance for them to boost their ageing first team with a fresh injection of youth and vibrancy.

The signing of 34-year-old David Beckham and a contract renewal for Gennaro Gattuso cannot be the only movements of the winter if this Milan squad is to finish in the Champions League qualification positions and achieve anything of note in this year's edition. Serie A is not like the Premier League; when big teams show a vulnerable side, they are pounced on by the rest. Coaches are canny. They find weaknesses in the top sides and they go for them. Just look at Juventus' recent defeats to Cagliari and Bari, or even the Rossoneri's early-season troubles. So Sunday's defeat could be the beginning of a very difficult period for Milan.

But a string of good results before the end of January may do more harm than good if it persuades the powers that be to stick with the current group of players. For if Milan are to gain anything from this season, purchases must be made. The cracks must not be papered over in the same way they were in October and November. And transfer deals will only be done next month if vice-president Adriano Galliani is forced into a corner. Which means that a series of defeats in their tough fixture list over the next month may be no bad thing. Don't believe everything you read in the results column, action is needed. And sooner, rather than later.

What are your views on topic? Do you agree that Milan must be pushed into making some January signings? Goal.com wants to know what YOU think...

Kris Voakes, Goal.com

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
eh... his overall point isnt that much differnt from the general sentiment around here...

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Hes a cunt, Milan's squad isnt strong enough to win serie A but they are def. top 3 side, hes probably a hater who has nth better to talk about.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
what a cunt, only we are allowed to criticize milan:o i hate goal.com

fiume_1987

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Boban, Desailly, Redondo, Rivaldo, Rui Costa, Maldini, Pato, T. Silva
He made some good points we all know of, but really exaggerating everything - that part about Nesta holding his hips is just stupid and Thiago Silva is the example of high concentration when compared to Lucio.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
This guys have to write something to get pay at the end of the month.

Irrelevant.

SixOneFive

Long Live Don Silvio
Reaction score
11/26/2009

acmilan.com

When is this match?

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Well, there are some points that I don't agree with. Namely, blaming our current situation on the older players in our squad ... We've won A LOT with older players, as their experience has proved invaluable at times. Even this season ... IMO, our best players include Nesta, :star:Clarence:star:, Ambro ...

If anything, and I know I'll get clobbered for this (again :rolleyes: ), our reliance on a system/team built to Dinho's strengths is proving to be an even bigger problem. Sure, depth is also a huge issue ... but with our Dinho-based system, we are making way too many compromises, and they aren't worth it, IMO.

We've based a lot of strong teams in the past on experience. Namely, technical experienced players throughout the pitch, aided by one or two absolutely brilliant players (usually younger, with pace) to form a formidable side. We have one such player in Pato ... but unfortunately, he's ended up being compromised, struggling on the right, just to accommodate Dinho.

Of course, I could be wrong altogether. And please, don't go to lengths to tell me how good Dinho's been for us. Since, I feel, even if Dinho seems to be improving, I see it coming at Milan's expense.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I just want Milan to win the league so badly .I remember back in 2004 i hardly got to see any Milan games on tv ,my internet was also shit back then and i didn't know what streams were .

I was mostly fallowing Milan results on teletext and watching Serie A highlights after .I remember being so happy when i was checking the teletext and seeing Milan get a good result .

FaRa13

Kuq e Zi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Ballack, Pirlo, Gerrard, van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi
I just want Milan to win the league so badly .I remember back in 2004 i hardly got to see any Milan games on tv ,my internet was also shit back then and i didn't know what streams were .

I was mostly fallowing Milan results on teletext and watching Serie A highlights after .I remember being so happy when i was checking the teletext and seeing Milan get a good result .

Ha teletext. It brings back so good memories. Not really good ones, but it brings back memories..that shit was really annoying.

Reaction score
what I care about is my only one AC MILAN! so I hope they put boriello in substitute and make Huntelaar play.. its not that I hare boriello, its because I know he can not contribute to Milan... look at his performance then you will know, he is no difference then gilardino, same shit.. borri should play in other teams.. trust me on this, I never wrong for this kind of thing.. no borri, Milan solved the issue! sorry borri, but it's true..

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka

It was the same for me, not seeing Milan play was really bad.
I still can't watch all games, but I try whenever possible to watch them on streams. It is so much better to see what happens, so I prefer streams over the teletext. But I still check results on it, just for information.
I also want them to win the league, the last time is just too long ago, but also some other trophies would be nice. It's our 110 anniversary year, so they really should add some trophies to their collection.

I know that now is a bit off topic because it's about CL and not Serie A, but I'm just talking about watching Milan so I remembered that thought. If Milan make it to the CL final this season (which I really hope for and believe in) then I hope to also be able to watch it on tv. Final is on May 22 as I know and that day I'm in England, so I hope they show it there and I can see Milan win (if it happens).

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Pato says he really likes playing wide right because he gets more room so that is good & he has played better their this season than upfront & looked more likely to score goals & has scored more goals.

Leonardo has worked miracles to get Milan in their best position since 05/06 & he must be commended. He seems to be working Ronaldinho well & Leonardo has made it clear if he does'nt play well he will be on the bench as happened earlier this season.

I am abig fan of Ancelotti, but I don't think there is any chance Milan would be second now if he was manager, he was struggling to keep Milan away from relegation in 2 of the last 3 seasons with astronger squad of players at this stage of the season.

This article about Milan is complete rubbish like saying an habit that Nesta has had for years means he his struggling again, when he looks in great condition & he has shown no signs of struggling at all. It also says Milan are struggling in Serie A when 2 years ago Milan where in 14th place(with no wins at home all season & just 3 goals scored at home in half aseason) at this time of the season & now they are second, it just shows what research goes into this rubbish. Milan where around 12th in 06/07 as well again to show the struggle for attacking creative play & goals when Sheva & Rui Costa left.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
It was the same for me, not seeing Milan play was really bad.
I still can't watch all games, but I try whenever possible to watch them on streams. It is so much better to see what happens, so I prefer streams over the teletext. But I still check results on it, just for information.
I also want them to win the league, the last time is just too long ago, but also some other trophies would be nice. It's our 110 anniversary year, so they really should add some trophies to their collection.

I know that now is a bit off topic because it's about CL and not Serie A, but I'm just talking about watching Milan so I remembered that thought. If Milan make it to the CL final this season (which I really hope for and believe in) then I hope to also be able to watch it on tv. Final is on May 22 as I know and that day I'm in England, so I hope they show it there and I can see Milan win (if it happens).

CL final is on TV in england and nearly every pub in the country should show it

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
LOL. Random skills. That's just ... random :D

Schedule