The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

View Poll Results: Ronnieboy will
return as soon possible, guns blazing and save our asses this season 80 43.24%
definitely be fit by the time Christian Maldini makes his debut 62 33.51%
WHY DO YOU WANT A POLL when he's gonna get crocked again!!!? (tougue-in-cheek) 43 23.24%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-02-2011, 15:55   #5661
Ratzaroony
Kaka Fanboy

Fav. Players: Inzaghi, Maldini, Kaka, Van Basten, Sheva, Antonini, Nesta, Ibra, Oddo, Donnarumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
wouldnt be surprised, Milanlab are shady.
It was a mistranslation. He said at Milan he learned that the only thing to fix his problem was a banned substance, so he struggled with his weight instead of taking them. He WAS NOT given any banned substances.
Ratzaroony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 15:56   #5662
acmilan4ever
Fan of the Sheva's

Fav. Players: Associazione Calcio Milan

Farewell Ronaldo - The Greatest Finisher Of All Time
Quote:
As Ronaldo departs Corinthians there are probably some fans who are glad to see the back of him. Supporters daubed graffiti on the club's training ground walls last week, condemning the 34-year-old as a 'shameless fatty'. Corinthians had just been eliminated from the Copa Libertadores and the well-paid Ronaldo, as well as his former Brazil team-mate Roberto Carlos, bore the brunt of the fans' ire. There were threats made against the fading stars; Roberto has taken one more pay-day, $9m for two seasons' work in Russia with Anzhi Makhachkala in order to escape the goldfish bowl of Sao Paulo. Ronaldo has no such option. The end is nigh. At his peak, a long time ago now, nobody played the game as joyfully and as freely as Ronaldo. He was loved, cherished and worshipped by fans the world over. But that shimmering mist of reverence has long since evaporated. Michael Ballack, Andriy Shevchenko, Francesco Totti and Ronaldo were all born within a week of each other. But unlike his peers, the final chapter in the Brazilian's playing career is a tragic one. There will be no last hurrah at a hometown club, no suitable and dignified end to a preeminent career. He should command universal respect. He should have unanimous acclaim. But he instead became a figure of ridicule. Ronaldo slips out ignominiously.

History is usually kind to the greats. Apocryphal evidence gives them everything but the halo; magnifies their achievements. But the dust has barely settled on the final struggle of Ronaldo's staggering and staggered career and he is gone and to be forgotten. His spell at Corinthians was an uneasy and broken marriage from the start. He trained with his boyhood club Flamengo before opting to sign a deal with the rival team who had made him a better offer. His relationship with the supporters of the Timao was always fractious; he has been photographed making insulting gestures to the fans who grew weary of his expanding belly and all-night partying.

Ronaldo was in thrall to the sycophancy of the club president Andres Sanchez, who took him out to nightclubs and afforded him rest days when no other player was permitted them. A particularly rambunctious night on the tiles cost the general manager, Antonio Carlos Zago, his job. He was physically decaying. There were reports of liposuction and the once lightning fast forward had recently taken to wearing special socks to combat the effects of varicose veins. His dream of bowing gracefully out of the game with Corinthians and leading the team to the Libertadores title has been shattered. There is nowhere left for Ronaldo to turn. His good will has expired. It is time to go.

It is a woefully ill-fitting end for the Phenomenon. But his was a career that was fraught with poignancy. It began with unlimited promise and ended with much of it unfulfilled. He is the best finisher the world has ever seen, one of the greatest players of all time, yet it is still wondered what might have been.
What might have been had he stayed longer than a single season at Barcelona? He was only 19 years of age when he held la Liga in the palm of his hand. The celebration of the late Sir Bobby Robson after Ronaldo's indescribable solo effort against Compostela encapsulates what every other observer felt watching; incredulous and proud.

What might have been had he not suffered whatever he suffered the day of the 1998 World Cup final? He was not healthy that day in Paris. His mind was elsewhere. He was reduced to a pale shadow, a poor imitation of his fearsome self as Zidane and co. romped to victory.

What might have been if his fragile knee held out, at least the second time? He returned too early after hobbling out of the game against Lecce and into his second home, the surgeon's bed. The aborted comeback against Lazio makes for uncomfortable viewing, even now, more than a decade later. In all honesty, Ronaldo never recovered from it.

To be able to take his place in the pantheon of the game's elite is a remarkable achievement for a player who missed almost four accumulative years of his career through serious and debilitating injury. To think that a forward who three times won the FIFA World Player of the Year award and twice the Ballon d'Or failed to deliver on his potential is frightening and yet bittersweet.

What else could there have been? Somewhere along the way the caricature, el Gordo, superseded the myth of il Fenomeno. A faster, more powerful and more direct forward has not yet been seen since the great Ronaldo regressed. His accuracy in front of goal remains unsurpassed. But legacy is not a currency. With it you cannot pay for immunity. Ronaldo fell far at Corinthians. But in my mind now, he retired in 2002 after scoring two goals against Germany in the World Cup final. He draped the Brazil flag over his shoulders, held the trophy and smiled his toothy smile.

Goodbye Fenomeno.
acmilan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:03   #5663
Sven
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzaroony View Post
It was a mistranslation. He said at Milan he learned that the only thing to fix his problem was a banned substance, so he struggled with his weight instead of taking them. He WAS NOT given any banned substances.
Yeah, you're right. I watched it live. One is born with hyperthyroid, no way in hell you can get this from hormones lol

BTW from where it come from Mrk?

Edit: Brazilian TV is saying MilanLab "discovered" his hypertyroidism back in 2007, and it was made public at the time.

Last edited by Sven; 14-02-2011 at 16:07.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:03   #5664
Mrk
Il Capitano

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzaroony View Post
Thanks for clearing that up
Mrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:29   #5665
Congo Powers
sempre grintuso

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Cutrone

wow

goodbye ronaldo

best striker

he was fucking incredible when he played for us. who knows what would have happend if he didnt get injured...
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:45   #5666
dev1L
AC Milan Icon

dev1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:46   #5667
Charbel
"Il Capitano"

Fav. Players: Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini

Good Bye Il Phenomena. Admittedly I didn't watch much from you, but I can remember 2002 World Cup, 2006 World Cup, and the time you played at Milan. I grew up hearing about you, and I've watched a lot of videos with your goals and skills...AMAZING PLAYER.

Signature
Previously known as "Soldier"
Charbel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 16:57   #5668
Tulouch
Primavera Player

my idol the reason why i play and watch football
goodbye ronaldo <3 true phenomenon
Tulouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 17:19   #5669
dev1L
AC Milan Icon

Old 14-02-2011, 17:46   #5670
unknown
Primavera Player

My rubbish tribute

Last edited by unknown; 19-02-2011 at 15:20.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 17:57   #5671
MilanMB
Serendipity

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev1L View Post
Fuuuuck, why didn't he win this one It's really a shame he was cup tied when we won it.

I really feel bad for the young one's who never had the pleasure to see him play when he was at his best. Best striker ever to play the game.

Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:01   #5672
Bunnee
AC Milan Icon

How bout Van Basten. But ok, this is not about whos the best. I admire Ronaldo and even though he was more injured than being on the pitch, when playin for Milan he still managed to get something fresh into the team. respect
Bunnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:13   #5673
MilanMB
Serendipity

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnee View Post
How bout Van Basten. But ok, this is not about whos the best. I admire Ronaldo and even though he was more injured than being on the pitch, when playin for Milan he still managed to get something fresh into the team. respect
No doubt, Van Basten is up there to... But personally I rate Ronaldo higher. No player has ever influence the game and other players like him. Maybe Maradona.

Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:20   #5674
Brazil
Primavera Player

No other striker has been up there...Phenomeno is only one and truly best ever no. 9!!! Such an amazing player...sad day
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:43   #5675
dev1L
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMB View Post
Fuuuuck, why didn't he win this one It's really a shame he was cup tied when we won it.

he did

Old 14-02-2011, 18:50   #5676
Ratzaroony
Kaka Fanboy

Fav. Players: Inzaghi, Maldini, Kaka, Van Basten, Sheva, Antonini, Nesta, Ibra, Oddo, Donnarumma

I've been trying all day to think of something to post, and haven't been able to come up with much. He was one of my idols growing up. Watching him play was amazing, even though I rarely saw more than clips. Player of the year three times, a golden ball, golden boot, world cup, etc. Still the best 1v1 player of all time. Still the best finisher of all time. There's only one Fenomeno, and he has changed the game forever. Best wishes in retirement, Ronaldo. You're one of a kind.
Ratzaroony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 18:53   #5677
Sasha
The UNBANNABLE One

Fav. Players: Azzurri e Rossoneri

No comment.

Signature

MILAN
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:02   #5678
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy

Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf

I can't say much as i wasn't really old enough to appreciate Ronaldo other than the days when his weight problems kicked in. Still, you'll go down in history as one of the biggest wastes of potential, not saying he didn't reach an insurmountable peak at his best, just he could have been so much more.

Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:14   #5679
dev1L
AC Milan Icon

Old 14-02-2011, 19:17   #5680
Brazil
Primavera Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by KujaIX View Post
I can't say much as i wasn't really old enough to appreciate Ronaldo other than the days when his weight problems kicked in. Still, you'll go down in history as one of the biggest wastes of potential, not saying he didn't reach an insurmountable peak at his best, just he could have been so much more.
Much more what exactly? He owned the world when he was 19.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote