Official: Franco Baresi Thread

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
The complete video of the WC final:

He got injured in the first match of the World Cup. He made a surgery and recovered in time for the final. That at 34 years of age...
Still it seems he was playing on pain. He left the field injured at the end of the extra time.

Edit: 3:14, the movement, the reading of the game, the speed, the tackle...
was a shame that game without goals.. but was fair.. baresi, albertini and maldini did a great work that game.

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The complete video of the WC final:

He got injured in the first match of the World Cup. He made a surgery and recovered in time for the final. That at 34 years of age...
Still it seems he was playing on pain. He left the field injured at the end of the extra time.

Edit: 3:14, the movement, the reading of the game, the speed, the tackle...

I found that video right after watching the one you posted here :D. I even slept late watching some old Milan videos on youtube. World Class is not enough to describe Baresi.

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
My God

That is actually a ridiculously good team

Id take out R.Carlos, move Maldini to LB then put Baresi in the centre with Nesta

Other than that pretty solid

Maybe change the wingers but IDK

I'd make that change in defence too. I'd also take off Giggs for Nedved.

Dominate

Genius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RIP Totti
Id take out Giggs, move Figo to a more central role and put Ronaldo up top with MvB and Maradona behind them :thumbsup:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
My God

That is actually a ridiculously good team

Id take out R.Carlos, move Maldini to LB then put Baresi in the centre with Nesta

Yes!

Id take out Giggs, move Figo to a more central role and put Ronaldo up top with MvB and Maradona behind them :thumbsup:

Yes!

When I take control of Milan, I'll offer u an advisor's role.

Ramzee

Forza Milan per sempre!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
De Sciglio, Ambrosini, SeS, Montolivo.
my introduction to high level football was 94 world cup. It's my first memory.

Baresi is simply amazing. I mean honestly, if you're making list of greatest defenders of all time, it has to start with him or beckenbaur.

Beck was better footballer in general, but imo there was no defender like Baresi. His career speaks for itself :proud:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
One thing that I regretted between the Beckenbauer vs Baresi comparison is the fact that people always pointing the fact that Beckenbauer was (and still) the only captain to lift the Champions Cup 3 times (75,75,76). As rightful as the claim is, Baresi had a chance to do the same. He lifted the trophy in 89 and 90 and will certainly be the captain in 94.

But, giving 'what if' a chance, do you think Milan would triumph vs Barca had Baresi (and or Costacurta) played the game?

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
One thing that I regretted between the Beckenbauer vs Baresi comparison is the fact that people always pointing the fact that Beckenbauer was (and still) the only captain to lift the Champions Cup 3 times (75,75,76). As rightful as the claim is, Baresi had a chance to do the same. He lifted the trophy in 89 and 90 and will certainly be the captain in 94.

But, giving 'what if' a chance, do you think Milan would triumph vs Barca had Baresi (and or Costacurta) played the game?
A rather filosophical question. I don't think I'm wise enough to answer but I'll give my best shot. Personally I always say 'no' to such questions. 'What could have been' never works is a mindset I have. New names in Baresi & Costacurta would throw away the harmony of that 4-0 game which happened and make a totally new game. So IMO it would be correct to say that the chance of Baresi lifting the cup 3-rd time in Athens would be the same as Milan beating Crujff dream team in the final before it was played. Otherwords he would be an underdog mathematically. Would have a shot, though ...

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia

On Giggs: "He is so intelligent - you notice that from where he runs.".

"He's covered every midfield role, but I think he prefers the left side. He is a joy for everybody's eyes...except, of course the opponents."

-------------

Baresi is an extremely smart individual :o

I'm not really suprised he picked Giggs. Not many foreign players have shit on Italian teams as much as he has.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
ridiculously classy side.

I really wish the english knew how to write in proper english

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
On Giggs: "He is so intelligent - you notice that from where he runs.".

"He's covered every midfield role, but I think he prefers the left side. He is a joy for everybody's eyes...except, of course the opponents."

-------------

Baresi is an extremely smart individual :o

I'm not really suprised he picked Giggs. Not many foreign players have shit on Italian teams as much as he has.

I cannot recall Giggs doing too much damage to Italian sides, or Milan in particular. But he is a great player nevertheless, it has nothing to do with his performances vs. Italians.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
I cannot recall Giggs doing too much damage to Italian sides, or Milan in particular. But he is a great player nevertheless, it has nothing to do with his performances vs. Italians.

1. Tore Juventus apart in 96/97. Last few minutes - he got the ball on the left side, dribbled past several players and at an angle smashed the ball in the top corner. Zidane scored a last minute free kick in that game, but we won 3-2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAouJwTYlU (second goal in)

2. Scored the last minute goal in the first leg of the semi final against Juventus in 1999.

3. 98/99, United 2-0 Inter Milan. Giggs (along with Beckham and Yorke) ripped Inter Milan's right side to shreds. Could have had a few goals + assists but for some poor finishing + the post getting in the way. He was also great in the 2nd leg.

4. 02/03, in Turrin - Juventus defender gave him the ball on the half way line and in effect he just ran and ran with no one being able to catch him, cutting inside and and with his right foot he placed the ball in the opposite corner, leaving Buffon for dead. Scored another goal in that match aswell:

5. 06/07, 7-1 vs Roma. Tore them apart. Picked up 4 assists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsJW4d2RBs&feature=player_embedded

6. United 3-2 Milan. He assisted Rooney in the last minute.

7. 08/09, Inter 0-0 United. Had a great game.

8. 08/09, United 2-0 Inter. Had another great game, think he got the assist for Vidic's goal.

After those two games there was quite a few Juventus fans joining United forums to rave about him. They all called him a "soldier", which is quite a random word used to praise someone like Giggs. Strange bunch.

I'm not sure why, but Giggs loves playing Italian sides. He's never had any ":eek:" moments against Milan like he has Juventus/Roma/Inter though.

Gone off on one there - my apologies :tongue:

Last edited:

drobeck

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
1. Tore Juventus apart in 96/97. Last few minutes - he got the ball on the left side, dribbled past several players and at an angle smashed the ball in the top corner. Zidane scored a last minute free kick in that game, but we won 3-2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAouJwTYlU (second goal in)

2. Scored the last minute goal in the first leg of the semi final against Juventus in 1999.

3. 98/99, United 2-0 Inter Milan. Giggs (along with Beckham and Yorke) ripped Inter Milan's right side to shreds. Could have had a few goals + assists but for some poor finishing + the post getting in the way. He was also great in the 2nd leg.

4. 02/03, in Turrin - Juventus defender gave him the ball on the half way line and in effect he just ran and ran with no one being able to catch him, cutting inside and and with his right foot he placed the ball in the opposite corner, leaving Buffon for dead. Scored another goal in that match aswell:

8. 08/09, United 2-0 Inter. Had another great game, think he got the assist for Vidic's goal.

After those two games there was quite a few Juventus fans joining United forums to rave about him. They all called him a "soldier", which is quite a random word used to praise someone like Giggs. Strange bunch.

I'm not sure why, but Giggs loves playing Italian sides. He's never had any ":eek:" moments against Milan like he has Juventus/Roma/Inter though.

It's Okay. see aren't we so nice that we let you talk about one of your
favorite players on one of the most legendary players of all time's forum.

by the way I hate United something about that team I despise.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Don't pollute this thread please, with some irrelevant talk.

drobeck

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Don't pollute this thread please, with some irrelevant talk.

You talkin to ME?? HUH

But I sees where you coming from and shall stup posting anything non Baresi
related.

Speaking of does he not have any kids.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score

Basically he is Juve's nightmare, as Inter dont count as an Italian team, and he didnt do jackshit vs Milan ;)

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
19/01/2012 15:52MILAN PARK In SAUDI ARABIA: THE PHOTO

PHOTOGALLERY: MILAN PARK: INAUGURATION , 19 JANUARY 2012

THE FAMOUS RED AND BLACK TOP
PARK-1_big.jpg

CLUB LEGEND FRANCO BARESI
PARK-2_big.jpg

THE INAUGURATION
PARK-3_big.jpg

THE INVITEES IN SOUTHERN SAUDI ARABIA
PARK-4_big.jpg

THE OPENING CEREMONY
PARK-5_big.jpg

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
19/01/2012 MILAN PARK In THE GULF REGION

From January 18 to 27 Park Milan arrives in the Middle East in the city of Najran in the south of Saudi Arabia.

MILAN - For the first time Milan Park arrives in the Middle East. The theme park will be open from January 18 to 27 in the city of Najran in the south of Saudi Arabia and set up inside the King Fahd Park, the largest wildlife sanctuary in the world with a 4000 square meters.

The event enjoys the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Mashaal bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, who will attend the inauguration of January 18 with Franco Baresi.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
So what is this park about? Why is it located in a wildlife area?

Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI BARESI SEEDORF INZAGHI DIDA
Me and Baresi in International Airport of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia this august.
Was such a honor to meet him!!!
185230_247023468654852_127900307233836_888051_2596298_n.jpg

WILL2K

Magical Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo , Maldini , Kaka , Zizou ..
Me and Baresi in International Airport of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia this august.
Was such a honor to meet him!!!
185230_247023468654852_127900307233836_888051_2596298_n.jpg

Sweet! I wish I have that kind of luck one day! Was it easy to get close to him?

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9

People who dont rate ancelotti should read this.. he "wishes" he had ancelotti as a coach .. :proud:

And what a great side. Its got 5 from my best ever 11..

Maldini , Nesta, Buffon, Figo and Maradona.

Hondayum

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti
People who dont rate ancelotti should read this.. he "wishes" he had ancelotti as a coach .. :proud:

And what a great side. Its got 5 from my best ever 11..

Maldini , Nesta, Buffon, Figo and Maradona.

My greatest XI just ends up resembling Milan 1989-94 haha...such an awesome legacy. Probably got 7 or 8 from those teams...

Schedule