Sandro Tonali Thread

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Tackling accuracy

Van Bommel in Scudetto season: 81.4%

Bakayoko 18/19 season: 70.3%

Kessie career so far: 64.3%

Bennacer in Empoli: 68.8%

Montolivo entire career: 68.4%

Locatelli as an 18 year old in 16/17 season: 69%

Poli in Milan: 57.3%

Notice the higher accuracy for anchors/holding midfielders.

Tonali 19/20 season: 50%

Tonali in Milan:

giphy.gif

What a pathetic post.
You are out here crying for bakayoko who in his first months at milan had one of the worst performances by a midfielder in ages.. yet you expect a young kid to be performing right away in 10 mins.

Some of us already knew he wouldnt be benching any of bennacer-kessie anytime soon so you need to chill with ur high expectations.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think the truth is somewhere in between those who are attacking him & those who are defending him

It’s unfair to judge him so quick but equally it’s important to have realistic expectations- he won’t be overtaking Bennacer anytime soon despite a pretty complete skill set he’s got

He’s not the perfect hybrid of Pirlo and Rino those who “followed” B have hyped him up as, and without being rude he is a bit overhyped (and equally not, since there’s a lot who realise this but it’s also important to acknowledge that’s hes quite good) and if I was given a choice between bringing Loca back and signing Sandro than I’d bring Loca back now but that wasn’t an option. It’s not because I think Sandro will be an inferior player to Loca, he may well have higher ceiling, but just feel the other would have had a bigger impact and would have fit in better

Not sure why it’s hard for people to get that as a top club you can make signings like these without expecting immediate impact necessarily? I think the fact that we signed him whilst having 2 best performing midfielders in the league AND want to bring in another one who’s more established/readier to play than Sandro himself is self explanatory here. All of this said he still really excites me as a singing but please let’s go easy on writing him off & overhyping/expecting too much

Super22

Wonderkid
Reaction score
Before Milan purchase Tonali I already stated that he is over rated.

Now that he has already join Milan, please give him the time to grow and be less critical of him. He is still very young and let the coach guide him on the right path and Zlatan to work his magic on him.

Luckily for us it is an option to buy, so if he doesn’t work out we can always send him back.

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
I think the truth is somewhere in between those who are attacking him & those who are defending him

It?s unfair to judge him so quick but equally it?s important to have realistic expectations- he won?t be overtaking Bennacer anytime soon despite a pretty complete skill set he?s got

He?s not the perfect hybrid of Pirlo and Rino those who ?followed? B have hyped him up as, and without being rude he is a bit overhyped (and equally not, since there?s a lot who realise this but it?s also important to acknowledge that?s hes quite good) and if I was given a choice between bringing Loca back and signing Sandro than I?d bring Loca back now but that wasn?t an option. It?s not because I think Sandro will be an inferior player to Loca, he may well have higher ceiling, but just feel the other would have had a bigger impact and would have fit in better

Not sure why it?s hard for people to get that as a top club you can make signings like these without expecting immediate impact necessarily? I think the fact that we signed him whilst having 2 best performing midfielders in the league AND want to bring in another one who?s more established/readier to play than Sandro himself is self explanatory here. All of this said he still really excites me as a singing but please let?s go easy on writing him off & overhyping/expecting too much

i think you tried so hard to have a middle ground opinion that you ended up not having an opinion at all. He's young, has some potential, but has been shit so far in a milan jersey but it's too early to judge. There it is.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Yeah exactly....he's not impressed anyone but he's barely gotten any time to get into any kind of rhythm....

its absurd to start attacking/writing him off before he starts a game...or at least plays a full half...

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What a pathetic post.

It was a facts only post.
Stats and a gif.

But that's okay, I've come to expect imbecilic replies from you.

Some of us already knew he wouldnt be benching any of bennacer-kessie anytime soon so you need to chill with ur high expectations.

I did not have high expectations of Tonali.
I've been against signing him since 2018.

However I have high expectations from the midfield backups.
Pioli demanded 4 starting material midfielders for the 2 spots.
I was looking forward to finally having quality midfield backups.
It didn't need to be a hyped name that can bench Kessie or Benna. I wouldn't have minded a cheap veteran signing like Kucka.

What we got is an expensive DM that can't defend.
But maybe this will be the season when he learns.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Stats and a gif.

It didn't need to be a hyped name that can bench Kessie or Benna. I wouldn't have minded a cheap veteran signing like Kucka.

Can you think of a single example of a player who learnt how to defend from scratch after 20?

They may learn how to position themselves better but this guy needs to literally learn how to put a tackle in. How to track back. How to read the game.

He doesn't have a single DM instinct in his body.

The best thing that can happen to him is some change in position.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
The thing is...and I hate to draw on the P!rl0 example yet again...players tend to project a certain image of what their role should be...they may also have a few components of said role...but fundamentally their skillset is best served in a different position.

P!rl0 flopped at Inter because he (correct me if I'm wrong) was a traditional #10....but a player that slow, weak and average a dribbler simply won't cut it as a trequartista....his defense is also quite shit in terms of tackles to be an actual CM...but the Ancelotti/Mazzone role of being a deep lying playmaker is where he excelled.

Maybe Tonali needs a bit of creativity in the interpretation of his position.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Can you think of a single example of a player who learnt how to defend from scratch after 20?

They may learn how to position themselves better but this guy needs to literally learn how to put a tackle in. How to track back. How to read the game.

He doesn't have a single DM instinct in his body.

The best thing that can happen to him is some change in position.

Bastian Schweinsteiger.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Behave.

Schweini's problem as a young piglet was being a bit of a hot-head in his decision making. Not gaping technical flaws.

Bastian was not a DM until played with Germany NT under Joachim Loew. As you questioned, yes there was a player who learned to defend from scratch after 20.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Bastian was not a DM until played with Germany NT under Joachim Loew. As you questioned, yes there was a player who learned to defend from scratch after 20.

Bastian was not a dm for Germany under Low. Khedira was.

I don't remember Germany ever playing a 2 man midfield with him and Kroos and if they did it must have been a short lived experiment.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Gullit?
Blanc
Piszczek

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Good game from Tonali, but it feels a little redundant starting him with Kessie. Midfield feels square, very defensive.
Bennacer offers that pace and energy to link up the front and back. Makes our play fluid.
My point is, Tonali is good but for me starting mid should still be Bennacer and Kessie. That is if we want to play high intensity football.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Decent game today. He will grow more and he looks more comfortable.

By the way, extending the conversation from the stats and evaluating Tonali’a talent. They are just nitpicking stats to support their argument, a quick search can find plenty of statistical analysis that also highlights his ability. Last season for example, everyone loves to claim all his assists were dead balls. But at one point late in the season(couldn’t find his full season rate) he was third in the entire league for expected assist rate, basically meaning he set up plenty of chances in general and Brescia was an awful team that squandered them. He also did have a pretty low pass success rate, yet Brescia was second in Serie A at speed of play rate, they play a high risk game built on quick transitions and contentious passes. Tonali was meant to force the ball forward. His long passes per game and progressive passes per game were both solid if not very good.

He also is a better dribbler/press resister than his haters will care to admit. He wins some of the most fouls in the league, and his passing completion percentage is essentially the same under pressure, which is a pretty awesome statistic for someone his age. His running stats and ground covered was also very high in the entire league despite Brescia ranking toward the bottom in kilometers per game. In fact the more you dive into it, you notice Brescia in general was terrible, Tonali was asked to do a lot.

For the record, tonali has a lot of work to do. He is far from a finished player, and I think actually Milan can help him in that. He is behind an established CM pivot and can grow without super high expectations. If you want to claim he is no anchor, I would agree, not at this point in his career. But who cares, we don’t play that position. What he has shown is he has the raw ability, he is a willing runner, he started/engaged a lot of pressures last season, and he is a productive player moving the ball into the final third. He is a good prospect, someone Maldini and them(who have shown good eye for talent) are certainly far more qualified than you armchair eeyores that love to shit on everything about this club. Let the kid play and grow.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I'd like for him to attack more, and think of himself as a classic CM a la Gerrard or Lampard. He needs to asdd some dynamism to his game and shoot from outside. If he tries to play the easy short passes that will not help him evolve because hes not a close control nimble type of player (Bennacer is). He has the physique of a player with a lot of stamina and he should play like a no.8 box to box Vidal type.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Bastian was not a dm for Germany under Low. Khedira was.

I don't remember Germany ever playing a 2 man midfield with him and Kroos and if they did it must have been a short lived experiment.

You clearly don't watch die Nationalmannschaft.

Germany's best time used 4231 with Bastian and Khedira as the two DMs. Schweini's role is like deep-lying playmaker who was the last person opponent faced before the CBs. He started that role pretty late but was a huge success for him and DE NT with Worl Cup thropy.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
You clearly don't watch die Nationalmannschaft.

Germany's best time used 4231 with Bastian and Khedira as the two DMs. Schweini's role is like deep-lying playmaker who was the last person opponent faced before the CBs. He started that role pretty late but was a huge success for him and DE NT with Worl Cup thropy.

If you're talking 2014 then it was a 4-3-3 with schweini Khedira Kroos. Kroos is the deep lying play maker. The defensive mind of this trio was always khedira.

Bastian has never been the guy to protect the cbs for any successful team. For bayern it was Martinez.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Played well yesterday. Solid performance. Would like to see him further up the field more as we saw that delicious through ball to Calabria down the right flank.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Stats and a gif.

It was facts only post you say, and then posted a gif of tonali getting turned inside out to prove a point.

Anyways he had a fine game against crotone despite being below average in defending. At least now we know he can start agains below midtable teams.
As for his defending I am sure he will improve when he gets used to the system

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
bello sandro

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
Holy fuck he got burnt so bad in that situation. I was so happy they missed that golden chance in stoppage time. I would only put him in if we are winning by at least 2 goals :lol:

crap Hauge is so fast. He lost Tonali and caused a lot of damage after that.

he almost scored 2 and almost assisted 2.

SuperP

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Needs to step up, current Milan is on the rise and these performances arent allowed as long as before.

I can see the talent, but he seems scared to touch the ball.

He doesn’t even ask to hit free kicks...

Schedule