Riccardo Montolivo Thread

How do you like Montolivo?

• Total voters

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
^ good, at least if we sell Cassano to them it will be for money and not Montolivo

Then I rather Cassano goes to Liverpool, scam money out of them.

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
I have the feeling that our Mister X will be Aquilani in the end for the reasons we all know here

No matter when but I strongly think these 4 will end up in Milan within a year. This combination is realistic and well balanced w/r to Allegri's tactics.

Hamsik
Aquilani
Ganso
Danilo

Aquilani + Ganso summer 2011.
Hamsik in January ( so that he plays at least the CL group stage )
Danilo summer 2012.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Prediction for future signings:

-Stagger
-Pastore
-Montolivo

-
-
-[x]

:o
New signing :star: Welcome

Great thing about him is his versatility at a high level

I'm pretty certain we can play him anywhere across the 3 mids without a significant drop in Quality :thumbsup:

In a sense he is the ultimate squad player, I do feel he could be Boss/ambro's successor and become a mainstay in out midfield for quite some time

People shouldn't look to him to be a playmaker/creative hub ...what he is ,is a defensive midfielder with the ability to contribute to the attack ..I think he could be that creative foil we've been sorely lacking ...something Dorf was to Pirlo,Iniesta is to Xavi,Van der Vaart is to Modric ...Denilson was to Cesc :o...what GOETZE was to sahin :thumbsup:...someone technically capable enough to share some responsibility in regards to keeping possession ...someone who is also good enough that both would require attention ,thus leaving others open /available....

I feel he has the same problem as Ambro ,esp. when he played in a 2-man CM (4-4-2) ...trying to do too much. Better coaching along with better players will alleviate creative burden on him and I think we will see a more consistent player.

One of his best season in recent times has been in an almost carbon copy of our midfield…the 2008/2009 run, he was immense and the similarities are evident

--Monto-----Melo----Donadal-----
-Pirlo-------Rino----Ambro-----

The positions are interchangeable, but I think you get the idea …furthermore his combination play and form was best when he played with Jovetic as Cam …which bodes well for the future (If we do indeed sign Pastore)

Way I see it
Short term: Squad/utility player
Long term: Anchor man

Like the way Milan are heading with regards to transfers started from the back :thumbsup:(n/h) ,we’ve signed complete players, all with high technical ability

:proud: GRAZIE G+B :proud:

I imagine this might be the future
--------------Pastore------------
Stagger-----Monto-----Boa—----

---------------Elsha-------------
Fossati----Calvano----Strasser
:p

What people should further consider is that if he arrives, Dorf would be expendable :tongue:

Last edited:

Fiero

Reaction score
Is he coming or what? I wouldn't mind him, but I'd take Aquilani over him. He's not good as an anchor, his best form was at box-to-box.

Maybe in the future with more experience he'd be a good anchor. He has it in him, he just needs better tactical knowledge and game reading skills. He'd certainly be a good squad player for us.

Cheap, Italian, good quality, and (soon to be) ex-Fiorentina. I'd welcome him. Any captain of La Viola would be on my good books.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'm rather surprise at the Montolivo-hate. Is it because there has been immense hype about the likes of Fabregas and Hamsik in the last few months? They are certainly better options, but Montolivo is not anywhere near bad.

Think back to the middle of last season, when Pirlo was injured and Seedorf was shit. Wouldnt you have liked to have someone like Montolivo in the squad to provide some midfield creativity?

Would definitely welcome him here, him + Pastore would be an extraordinarily good Mercato in my books.

A mercato with just Montolivo would be decent, but better than getting only Ganso. Because Montolivo would slot right into our biggest problem area, LCM.

----Zlatan-----Pato----

--------Boateng------
--Monto--MvB--Gattuso--

Quite a decent team.

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
I'm rather surprise at the Montolivo-hate. Is it because there has been immense hype about the likes of Fabregas and Hamsik in the last few months? They are certainly better options, but Montolivo is not anywhere near bad.

Think back to the middle of last season, when Pirlo was injured and Seedorf was shit. Wouldnt you have liked to have someone like Montolivo in the squad to provide some midfield creativity?

Would definitely welcome him here, him + Pastore would be an extraordinarily good Mercato in my books.

A mercato with just Montolivo would be decent, but better than getting only Ganso. Because Montolivo would slot right into our biggest problem area, LCM.

----Zlatan-----Pato----

--------Boateng------
--Monto--MvB--Gattuso--

Quite a decent team.
I'll prefer the montolivo+pastore mercato. Looking at the team , I see the no. of italian's reducing.

Abb, Nesta , Abate , Monto.
We used to honor the 6+5 rule before.

Monto+Pastore would definitely help us retain the Serie A , not so sure about the CL.

MilanZealot

Beginner
Reaction score
Montolivo will do well in our current setup. With the way things stand right now, I see Ganso as a luxury we can't afford. Ibra and him together won't provide us with enough movements.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Galliani has explained why they're not moving for Fiorentina star Riccardo Montolivo.

yeah this doesnt really make sense... Monty has been best in a wider role in the midfield, not as an anchor...

dman32

Milan 4 Ever
Reaction score
Luv this guy, hope he comes to milan...our midfield will be be better with him....with him in milan Allegri can use different tactics depending on who we are facing...he's a major upgrade in my opinion.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

uncle rico montolivo

uncle-rico.jpg
Riccardo%2BMontolivo%2B5.jpg

you don't see it?

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
napolean bynamite

What was that movie :conf: :lol:

Maldiniac

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
would love to see him joins milan if the price is right...his long passes are great, good visionary, technically awesome and no he's not slow..

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I've kept a close eye on Monto since the Italy Olympics team where was very rated highly... in that tournament he did not play well and ever since his move to Viola, I have always kept a closer eye on him and he never managed to live up to the hype when he was younger. He does have some rare good performances but he is definitely not consistent. He tends to disappear in games that count the most.

I hope we go for Aquilani instead as he has more potential IMO, and probably they would both be the same price this summer.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Aquilani is living on a reputation ...atleast Uncle Rico
copyright.gif
:-)o) has proved himself before. He was great in their 2008/2009 season aswell as being pivotal in their CL-bayern knockout run,2009/2010 (which btw he played a hybrid anchor/regista)

Rico's biggest issue is coaching ...No surprise that he did so well under Prandelli and is now translating it onto the NT

Rico is the safer bet for obvious reasons

Uncle rico >Aqua man

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqS0YpK68ms&feature=related

the perfect name for a perfect player....would love to see him in our jersey!

perfect player? nah

anyway, Monto looks like a really good player, it may just be the youtube effect, but those skills show he is more than just an average player.

Some facts on him:
German speaking with German citizenship
Atalanta youth player ( abit more guarantee here, after Atalanta have really good youth team)
2007 Serie A Young player of the year ( past winners of the award include, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cassano, Gilardino, Pato )

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If we will end up getting a mobile big name playah like pastore for AM than i guess we will get a cheaper player for LCM ala aqui, monto (dont really see B&G splash 30 mil per position honestly). If so id prefer monto since hes more durable. We already have 1 injury prone in our squad, no need for another. If aquilani was more durable than id choose him.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
He should replace Bommel after this year , but he is kind of slow but he is very underrated, I would like to experiment with him if we buy cheap but he as LCM is not an idea i recommend but mister knows best I need a fast and dynamic midfield....

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I would prefer Aqua over him, mostly because it looks like Fio want a lot for Monty, and I think that Aqua is a bit better and should almost certainly be cheaper

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
I wrote about Monty in the rumor thread, but wanted to also expand it to here.

He represents a great upgrade at arguably our weakest position. He is not world class in any aspect of his game, but is no worse than above average at any aspect either. What Montolivo represents is a sound upgrade over every aspect of the game.

From what I have seen of him (1-10):

Short Passing - 8
Long Passing - 7
Vision - 8
Work Rate - 9
Defense - 7.5
Positioning - 9
Movement - 8
Pace - 7.5
Durability - 9
Coachability - 10

Monty is a great complementary signing and immediately represents an upgrade. One of the points that I tried to drive home in my larger writeup is that while he is not a world class player, having WC players at every position is not always the best result; having players that fit the system well is. I think Monty fits Allegri's system incredibly well as he moves, plays both ways, and gives 100%.

MilanReality

Milan Icon
Reaction score
From what I have seen of him (1-10):

Short Passing - 8
Long Passing - 7
Vision - 8
Work Rate - 9
Defense - 7.5
Positioning - 9
Movement - 8
Pace - 7.5
Durability - 9
Coachability - 10

You've given him an 83 rating! That's as close to world class as it gets.
He would definitely bring some spunk to the team... And someone who can pass is always welcome.

Now for CAM...?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
He should replace Bommel after this year , but he is kind of slow but he is very underrated, I would like to experiment with him if we buy cheap but he as LCM is not an idea i recommend but mister knows best I need a fast and dynamic midfield....

He's not slow.

Check out first goal here:

I would love to see pirlo ever do that :(. He couldn't.

Problem is this simple. In 2009, Fiorentina switched from 4-3-1-2/4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1. He moved from LCM to DM. His role changed. He did it well enough, but a lot less influential. They wanted him to be xabi alonso, essentially.

What I used to like about him back then was the work rate he had to go with technical abilities.

I would prefer Aqua over him, mostly because it looks like Fio want a lot for Monty, and I think that Aqua is a bit better and should almost certainly be cheaper

Not sure. Fiorentina WANT 10 million euros. They'll sell for 8 million. No way Aquilani is less than 8 mil. I'm going to say their fees are almost identical.

Aquilani, i think is an option to explore in late august, when liverpool might just 'loan' him. No reason to not take both. The combo at both side mids would give milan posession game, technique and work rate they want.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Pirlo, Nesta, Pato , Ronaldo L.
Completely agree with Senatore.
I don't know why most ppl here consider Montolivo is just an average player. I don't consider him a world class player but also We need a player that has high mental and work rate abilities and I see Montolivo is good at that and only 8 million euros that's gr8 !!

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
while I don't think Montolivo alone as a signing is enough (after Pirlo's departure and the fact that Seedorf will be another year older) he's certainly someone I'd consider a good signing.

MilanZealot

Beginner
Reaction score
I'd prefer Montolivo to Aquilani. Seems to me he's more influential both, on and off the field.