Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
iaquinta via first round ko :D

that would be the worst possible situation for the UFC

khabib hype machine derailed, no one wins the belt, and mcgregor has been "stripped" of it :lol:

in all seriousness, I think khabib will win a dominant decision.

Last edited:

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
I'd give Al more of a chance than I would Max, he has a chance for KO at least.

Be funny if he won too, would look forward to the post fight speech lol.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I can see the appeal for Thug Rose: her stoic & humble attitude, the underdog story

But honestly, she is still pretty raw in terms of well-roundedness in MMA. Even Joanna is very one dimensional.

Women's mma still has a long way to go.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Joanna is psyching herself out IMO.

She is pushing the pace and a lot of times throws at bad timing, Rose is just sitting on the counter and that is making her look a lot better than she is.

Joanna needs to settle down and fight smarter

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Joanna edged that IMO. I hope that take down didn't score anything because it did absolutely nothing.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Joanna edged that IMO. I hope that take down didn't score anything because it did absolutely nothing.

how?

rose clearly won 48-47, didn't agree with 49-46.

rose won rounds 1,2 and 5.

thug rose :heart:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
how?

rose clearly won 48-47, didn't agree with 49-46.

rose won rounds 1,2 and 5.

thug rose :heart:

Rose landed some good ones in first 2 minutes of round 5

Joanna definitely landed more consistently throughout the round (more significiant shots landed in R5). Then she went for that take down that did nothing and ate a bunch of shots to the head in "scoring".

But I understand it's UFC so last minute takedowns that does nothing and has 0 impact on the facts are valued and could potentially seal a round. But Unam 49-46 though? That's a joke.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Rose landed some good ones in first 2 minutes of round 5

Joanna definitely landed more consistently throughout the round (more significiant shots landed in R5). Then she went for that take down that did nothing and ate a bunch of shots to the head in "scoring".

But I understand it's UFC so last minute takedowns that does nothing and has 0 impact on the facts are valued and could potentially seal a round. But Unam 49-46 though? That's a joke.

she landed air shots in the first 2 rounds, she's a volume puncher.

rose def. did way more damage, the main reason I gave joanna rounds 3 & 4 are because she slowed rose down with the leg kicks.

I had her winning round 5 even before the take down, she messed up her nose as well.

kinda feel like you're biased towards joanna tbh :D

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
matt serra gsp 2.0 is about to happen

except iaquinta is a way better fighter than serra ever was.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
she landed air shots in the first 2 rounds, she's a volume puncher.

rose def. did way more damage, the only reason I give joanna rounds 3 & 4 are because she slowed rose down with the leg kicks.

I had her winning round 5 even before the take down, she was messed up her nose as well.

kinda feel like you're biased towards joanna tbh :D

I think it's fair you saw her winning round 5.

I admit I am definitely biased towards Joanna :D I guess I just did not really like Rose's hype train.

Anyways, I actually think Al have a chance, even more than Halloway.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the new york athletic commission extended holloway's career tbh, he owes them a thank you letter.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Just looked through the names on the rest of the card, other than these 2 fights, not a single fighter i gave a fuck about in the other fights :fp:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
iaquinta got up :eek:

edit: nvm :lol:

Iaquinta is just trying to explode, but Khabib is too experienced and knows hows to use his weight well. Look at the way he sprawls on his toes, it drives a TON of weight for Iaquinta to carry.

Iaquinta is probably gassed and will just try to swing for the fences now.

Edit: ALWAYS on the toe and driving pressure. That tiny difference makes a ton of difference for the person on the bottom. Khabib is too much better of a grappler if Iaquinta can't land the KO.

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Khabib gonna eat a lot of shots fighting like this against a better fighter...

Even the take down attempts...he ducks his heads going in really telegraphed, I can see Conor timber him honestly

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Khabib gonna eat a lot of shots fighting like this against a better fighter...

Even the take down attempts...he ducks his heads going in really telegraphed, I can see Conor timber him honestly

it's what I've been saying for months, khabib is molto 1 dimensional

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
He's getting visibly frustrated by Iaquinta

Granted he is winning by a landslide.

while getting majorly exposed in the process

if iaquinta loses a decision, IMO he comes off looking great.

I really don't get how those people in charge of rankings see him as #11, there's some bias going around.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
while getting majorly exposed in the process

if iaquinta loses a decision, IMO he comes off looking great.

:thumbsup:

This is huge loss for UFC. Khabib loses stock, Conor goes to jail, Ferguson sits out.

Khabib is playing with fire now, trying to bait with his chin. Agree with Rogan 100%, that is amateur shit.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
yep im sticking to it

conor is going to ko him 100%

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yep im sticking to it

Yea, although I am sure he has other things in his arsenal, once the single didn't work anymore, it did not seem like he had other plans to take the fight down when his corner repeatedly called for takedowns. I am not sure if its a mental thing because he's so used to dominating people, but I really didn't like what I saw.

Against someone like Conor, you probably would have to have plan B's and adjustments instead of ducking for that diving single over and over.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
GSP?

boy, you're biting off more than you can chew

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, although I am sure he has other things in his arsenal, once the single didn't work anymore, it did not seem like he had other plans to take the fight down when his corner repeatedly called for takedowns. I am not sure if its a mental thing because he's so used to dominating people, but I really didn't like what I saw.

Against someone like Conor, you probably would have to have plan B's and adjustments instead of ducking for that diving single over and over.

agreed 100%

granted, conor is not the grappler iaquinta is, but he has ko power and a much longer reach + generally better at stand up.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Just looked through the names on the rest of the card, other than these 2 fights, not a single fighter i gave a fuck about in the other fights :fp:

Zabit vs Bochniak was very decent, looking forward to see him develop.

yep im sticking to it

Conor won't grapple as well as Iaquinta and Khabib won't ease off the gas vs Conor. He played it safe because let's be honest, it'd be pretty embarrassing to lose to a lucky punch. At least that's what I think - he played safe vs an opponent he hasn't watched much tape on.

Khabib does need to work on his defense. His chin is permanently exposed - sure, he can probably take some shots but every chin cracks. He also leans back too much, a better striker will use that to get him off balance and tee off. But overall, I think Khabib did a bit of a Usman/Hendricks performance.

50-43? wtf

Iaquinta barely got any punches in some rounds, it's conceivable. Not like Khabib did anything extraordinary in rounds 3 and 4 other than constant jabs without much power but he clearly won all rounds.

Certainly not Khabib's best performance today but it got the job done. I was pleasantly surprised by Iaquinta's TDD later in the fight.

As for Rose vs Joanna, I saw it as a 48-47. He saved herself for the fifth round and Joanna couldn't keep up with her there imo. 49-46 is a bad joke, Joanna was tearing her up with leg kicks in rounds 3 and 4.

Schedule