Lucas Paquetá Thread

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Very happy with this signing. I can't remember the last time Milan paid big bucks for an unproven youngster. One things for sure, he's got the skillset of a future champion. He just needs the right coach/teammates to bring it out to avoid being the next Denilson.

andre silva? very hopeful on this signing though. also with all these injuries going on, welcome one too.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
andre silva? very hopeful on this signing though. also with all these injuries going on, welcome one too.

Silva was already proven in Europe and at NT level whereas Paqueta’s only played in Brazil. That’s what I meant. It’s a refreshing change from the chump change spent on Gabriel, Vergara, Ely etc.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Silva was already proven in Europe and at NT level whereas Paqueta’s only played in Brazil. That’s what I meant. It’s a refreshing change from the chump change spent on Gabriel, Vergara, Ely etc.

We actually spent quite a bit on Ely, what a big letdown.

I don’t remember who but back when he first signed as a 17 year old, some users here referred to him as “white Thiago Silva”. :lol:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
We actually spent quite a bit on Ely, what a big letdown.

I don’t remember who but back when he first signed as a 17 year old, some users here referred to him as “white Thiago Silva”. :lol:

White Thiago Silva my ass. They must’ve meant the MMA fighter who’s probably better at defending then Ely :lol:

I know we paid Raiola a shitload when we re-signed him but he only cost 3m initially which is 1/10th of Paqueta’s fee.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
White Thiago Silva my ass. They must’ve meant the MMA fighter who’s probably better at defending then Ely :lol:

I know we paid Raiola a shitload when we re-signed him but he only cost 3m initially which is 1/10th of Paqueta’s fee.

I remember hanging onto a sliver of hope that Ely would be a class CB :lol: Didn't he start alongside Romagnoli for a few of our opening games a few seasons back?

Mr. Tea

Ac Milan Icon
Reaction score
I think he started the opener against Napoli a few seasons back. And if I remember correctly he was sent off and didn’t see the pitch since

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
I remember hanging onto a sliver of hope that Ely would be a class CB :lol: Didn't he start alongside Romagnoli for a few of our opening games a few seasons back?

Miha must’ve been in the midst of a mental breakdown when he personally requested Ely and paid 9m for him :fp::fp:

Tbh if Galliani wasn’t going mad himself back then he surely would’ve fired Midtablovic on the spot and realised he wasn’t fit for the job :lol:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think he started the opener against Napoli a few seasons back. And if I remember correctly he was sent off and didn’t see the pitch since

Yea that game broke him

He was building up confidence all summer in the preseason games. I think he scored an OG that game too.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Miha must’ve been in the midst of a mental breakdown when he personally requested Ely and paid 9m for him :fp::fp:

Tbh if Galliani wasn’t going mad himself back then he surely would’ve fired Midtablovic on the spot and realised he wasn’t fit for the job :lol:

Are you being ironic?

Isn't it well known that the Ely 9m was a classic Galliani kick-back to Raiola?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Are you being ironic?

Yeah it was a pretty obvious kickback.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Are you being ironic?

Yeah but Midtablovic is on record as being a fanboy and requesting the transfer :fp:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yeah but Midtablovic is on record as being a fanboy and requesting the transfer :fp:

When did this happen? Milan brought Ely back much before Miha even joined the club. There was no transfer. He was on loan, and Galliani paid 8 million to an ‘unknown party’ as a favour.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
When did this happen? Milan brought Ely back much before Miha even joined the club. There was no transfer. He was on loan, and Galliani paid 8 million to an ‘unknown party’ as a favour.

Nope. His contract expired and he joined Avellino on a free transfer in 2014. After an impressive season, we brought him back for 8m despite being a free agent which coincides with Midtablovic joining in summer 2015. I remember reading at the time that he was impressed with Ely's Serie B performances and asked Galliani to re-sign him.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nope. His contract expired and he joined Avellino on a free transfer in 2014. After an impressive season, we brought him back for 8m despite being a free agent which coincides with Midtablovic joining in summer 2015. I remember reading at the time that he was impressed with Ely's Serie B performances and asked Galliani to re-sign him.

The 8 million wasn’t paid to any club. We paid the money to the agent as a shady transaction (which came out only when the financials were published months later). Obviously the manager has nothing to do with these dealings.

Rumour sites of course would have written all sorts of nonsense. The chance of Miha ever having seen Ely play before he saw him at Milanello is close to zero.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
The 8 million wasn’t paid to any club. We paid the money to the agent as a shady transaction (which came out only when the financials were published months later). Obviously the manager has nothing to do with these dealings.

Rumour sites of course would have written all sorts of nonsense. The chance of Miha ever having seen Ely play before he saw him at Milanello is close to zero.

Miha joined us straight after Samp so would’ve already been aware of talented players in lower divisions. Like I said, Ely had an impressive season in Serie B which is why we re-signed him so he had a decent profile. It’s also no coincidence that his signing date coincided with Miha’s hiring date. Miha also specifically requested Romagnoli so had more input than you think.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I think you may be the only one who doesn't realise that it was a Raiola kickback.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Why are we talking about a random defender on Paqueta’s thread?

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Not long now before he’s getting game time, really looking forward to seeing the kid play. I hope he doesn’t come here and just expect it to happen, I’m sure Gattuso will drill that into his head.

Good luck kiddo, I’m rooting for you.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
:star::star:

DwU7kUrWsAIkImm.jpg

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino calls him Paque it seems. We have our nickname.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Benvenuto #39. Maldini confirmed he can play mezz'ala as well as mezzapunta.

I wouldn't rule out something like this as an experiment soon:

---------------Higuain-------------

--Hakan------Paqueta-----Suso

---------Bakayoko--Biglia------

Last edited:

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Wouldn't it be better to flip Paqueta and Hakan in that formation? And I'd rather have Kessie in that role than Biglia, because he doesn't have the legs for it.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wouldn't it be better to flip Paqueta and Hakan in that formation? And I'd rather have Kessie in that role than Biglia, because he doesn't have the legs for it.

We haven't seen Paqueta play yet, but I think he'll be more of a natural centrally positioned slip the ball through/quick 1-2/shoot the ball player than Hakan. Hakan's strength is all 'diagonal' movements and passes, better off coming from the side. But we'll see soon enough.

Bakayoko bombs forwards with two strides, Biglia can sit back. I don't trust Kessie to maintain that position.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Copy/paste....paqueta vs fluminese

Just watched this, here are my thoughts:

- He made the pass before the assist on the first goal. I've heard he does this a lot.

- The kid is strong and skilled. He's not a pushover, very capable of receiving the ball with an opponent at his back and doing something with it. I think he'll do fine with Serie A defenders and midfielders in this aspect.

- He really puts in a shift defensively. He's not out there making half-assed efforts just so he can say "what? i tried", he's actually serious about getting the ball back. Tracks back, gets aggressive when he's on his man, moves a lot to cut passing lanes - although his awareness and anticipation could be better.

- This isn't really worth much, but he attempted to shoot, and after a deflection, his shot ended up setting up a teammate for a 1-v-1 with the keeper, which was converted into a goal. Not exactly an assist, but thought I'd mention it.

- Milan is going to be a big change for him. The way we have defined roles for everyone when we defend, the way we switch shapes when we move from offense to defense, the way we have a method to our pressing, these seemingly aren't things his team does - at least not at the level we do them. It'll take him some time to learn and commit to a defined system with specific tactical roles. Ours isn't really a complex one, and I'm not saying it isn't something he can learn, it's just going to be a change.

- Confident, brave, and strong. He really pushes back when you try to push him, not gonna stop and throw his hands in the air every time, and definitely not gonna fall over with every shove. I wouldn't call him fast but he's certainly not slow, he's got good pace WITH the ball.

- His passes are good. I've counted two difficult through balls which on our team would be made only by Bona, Suso, Higuain, and Hakan.

- Been dropping out of sight for like 5-10 minutes at a time, since his team have gone up 2-0. They've mostly just been counter attacking, and they have the opposition totally contained, so there's not really much to see from him other than that he's keeping up with his defensive duties.

- He attempted to one-touch chip it over someone, and the dude just casually pushed him down like "nope." Not really sure if it would've worked, the defender didn't seem to be interested in finding out either, seemed to be insulted that the attempt was even made in the first place.

- Absolutely beautiful almost-assist which sent a striker 1-v-1 with the keeper. Striker didn't make it. If the first assist he got was undeserved, this certainly balanced it out.

- Playing with a lot of confidence right now. Lovely one-touch passes in difficult situations. Seems capable of sustained bursts of speed when the moment is right. Not exactly Pato-like, but fast.

- I've been suspecting it for some time cause he hasn't said a word in a while, but the commentator is OFFICIALLY SNORING ON LIVE TV RIGHT NOW. That's just amazing! Not complaining, the quiet is nice, I can hear the stadium, but the fact that he snored is crazy.

- He's so lovely on counters. And I really can't emphasize enough how he's physically brave - he really doesn't mind throwing his body in a place where he might get hurt, but he won't let you hurt him for free, you really have to commit to taking him down otherwise he's staying on his feet. I can see why fans like him. Gattuso will too.

FT 3-0. Just some final notes:

1) The role he played in tonight is much more advanced than our midfielders usually play - higher than a mezzala, but not high or wide enough to be a winger. Kind of like an off-center trequartista - like in Ancelotti's 4-3-2-1.

2) I started off wanting to see him in a deeper role so that you get more out of his work rate, defensive abilities, and passing range, but as the game went on I understood more and more why they keep him higher up the pitch. It's a bit of a waste not having him near the final third considering his skill, ability to run at defenders, counter-attacking prowess and decision making, and crisp through passing. Tough conundrum.

3) I don't think this guy is - or should be - our future regista. That hunt isn't yet over, but we have something special here. I'm sure he can be trained to be a regista, he has most of the required skills already, but it'd be a waste to convert him into decent regista when he has the potential to be a great player in another position.

4) Whilst he's obviously talented, this guy is not completely a finished product, and I cannot see him walking into the starting XI upon arrival. I don't know if today's game was - by his standards - good, bad, or average, but assuming it was a semi-decent game, he's not enough to push out Kessie or Bonaventura instantly.

5) He is 100% better than any option off the bench, so it's going to be LOVELY to see him come on for Bonaventura or Kessie when they need to be subbed or rested. The midfield shouldn't take a dip in quality when he replaces them, in fact it might gain certain aspects, but that'll still depend on how well he can learn and commit to his tactical roles and duties.

I had missed this. Excellent post, grazie!

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He gonna set Serie A on fire, and not even refs can do anything about it, just watch. Insta impact

Hypee

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score

What's a 'mezzapunta'?

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Half striker?