Official: Davide Calabria Thread

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
He should be CAM instead of honda

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Elmayonesa

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
Davide Calabria's emergence as a "very important player for the future of this club" has given AC Milan fans a new home-grown full-back to cherish. The 18-year-old, having made his senior debut on the final day of last season, started this term on the bench but an injury has offered the defender a run of games. He has not disappointed, setting up a goal on his first home appearance and performing so well as to keep his place for the Rossoneri's last two Serie A matches.

Name: Davide Calabria
Club: AC Milan
Debut: 30 May 2015 v Atalanta BC (Serie A)
Position: full-back
Nationality: Italian
Date of birth: 6 December 1996
Preferred foot: right
Height: 177cm

They say ...
"Calabria has great qualities. If he keeps his feet firmly on the ground, he will have a great future in football. I pick him only because I have huge faith in his talent."
Milan coach Sini?a Mihajlović

"Calabria has won everyone over. He is already a crowd favourite at San Siro."
Milan president Silvio Berlusconi

"Calabria is always very calm and clear-headed on the pitch. For someone so young, this is very important. Now we must be patient with him, but he has a great future ahead."
Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo

Background ...
Born in Brescia, Calabria joined Milan aged 12 and shone for the Rossoneri's age-group teams, operating predominantly in midfield. In 2014, by now a right-back, Calabria was a key member of the side coached by Filippo Inzaghi that won Italy's most prestigious youth tournament, the Viareggio Cup.

Inzaghi was appointed head coach soon afterwards and gave Calabria his Serie A debut at the end of the 2014/15 campaign. The defender subsequently convinced Inzaghi's successor Mihajlović with some fine pre-season performances and is now catching the eye in the Italian top flight.

Playing style ...
Calabria has two good feet and decent ball control. Though not physically dominant, the teenager is blessed with speed and stamina, enabling him to get up and down the right flank and deliver precise crosses. "He is already very mature," said Stefano Nava, an ex-Milan defender coaching in the club's youth system. "He is a modern player, extremely versatile ? the kind of player every coach loves because he can be used in several roles."

Davide Calabria is a fan of Bayern's David Alaba

Shades of ...
Comparisons with Paolo Maldini are inevitable for a young full-back making his way at San Siro. "He is my hero," Calabria said of the Diavolo's erstwhile captain. "I also like [Mattia] De Sciglio, [Dani] Carvajal and [David] Alaba." Calabria asked Alaba for his shirt after the Rossoneri's summer friendly against Bayern M?nchen. The Austrian international is probably the player Calabria resembles most for his qualities and versatility.

Breakthrough ...
Replacing the injured Ignazio Abate 18 minutes into the Palermo home game on 19 September, Calabria crossed for one of Carlos Bacca's two goals in the ensuing 3-2 victory. "Bravissimo Davide Calabria," Maldini posted on Instagram. "He was man of the match alongside Bacca."

Praise also came from Alessandro Nesta. "Great personality," he said. "When you suddenly have to come [into the team], you usually think about not making a big mistake. However, he took risks and it paid off." The following week Calabria was in the starting lineup away to Udinese.

Best-case scenario ...
Calabria will become a key man for Milan if his development continues at its current rate. "He is a very important player for the future of this club," Mihajlović said. "With him, [Rodrigo] Ely and [Alessio] Romagnoli we have the back line set for the next ten years."

He says ...
"I joined the squad in the summer and have tried to give my best. Fortunately, I played well from the off and the coach told me I could have a place in the team this season. I take his fighting spirit as an inspiration."

"It's an incredible feeling, impossible to describe. Playing in Serie A for the team I supported as a boy is amazing."
Calabria describes his emotions after his Serie A bow

"It was a special game, I gave my best. Playing in a stadium like San Siro is never easy, but I was calm and everything went well."
Speaking after his debut against Palermo

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociati...ml#uefa+coms+weekly+wonderkid+davide+calabria

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He is typical la liga rb, pacey & skillful, but doesnt have the physique for Serie A.

I hope he prove me wrong.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
in good time his body will put on more weight....he's still 18yrs

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
The next Maldini or the next De Sciglio(former next Maldini)?

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
The next Maldini or the next De Sciglio(former next Maldini)?

neither. he's the next messi.

its great to see home grown talent given a chance and taking it so well. grande miha for having the balls to make the risky decisions and grande calabria for making the decisions pay off.

honestly calabria should be given some more intermittent playing time. not full blown playing time as yet.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
“I am proud to present my country especially at Under-21 level. I came on to do my best after we had a man sent off and we want to hold on to our lead. There are a great set of players in the national side and I am pleased what coach Di Biagio had to say about me. Representing Italy has always been an objective for since I was really young and I am proud to have done it. I arrived back at Milanello this morning and coach Mihajlovic talked about the match against Torino. After the last defeat we are motivated to do better. I always try and help Milan and it is great to play for the Rossoneri. The coach has plenty of selection choices and if I am called up I will be motivated to do my best.”

this guy :star:

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The only positive side so far this starting season.

This boy is so confidence although he lack of experience, keep up the good work!

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Such an impressive performance on the left yesterday :star:

milanoldfarts

Banned
Reaction score
What happened to this guy and why isn't Miha putting him in anymore?

He is much better than De Sciglio so what gives?
Is he injured or something?

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What happened to this guy and why isn't Miha putting him in anymore?

He is much better than De Sciglio so what gives?
Is he injured or something?

He got raped by Laxalt of all people against Genoa. If people say that Kishna raped DeSciglio yesterday then Laxalt raped 5 times over Calabria.

Needless to say besides that game Calabria was fairly good.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
What does Calabria think about it?
tumblr_o0475aE6AH1qgyp45o5_r1_540.gif

http://mattiadsciglio.tumblr.com/post/136177291176

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
He got raped by Laxalt of all people against Genoa. If people say that Kishna raped DeSciglio yesterday then Laxalt raped 5 times over Calabria.

Needless to say besides that game Calabria was fairly good.

Kishna is a beast though. Very talented. I cant believe that we refused to sign him.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Kishna is a beast though. Very talented. I cant believe that we refused to sign him.

Kishna is talented but I don't know if he has what it takes to become a great player and if we had what it takes to grow him as a player. Our track record with developing any young player has sucked for the past 10 years.

Calabria has done a great experience so far. I'm sure that by now he knows what he has to improve and also the fact that he's part of the first team should help push him further. Considering that Abate and Antonelli are fairly prone to injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to play more games before the end of the season.

If we can get Donnaruma, De Sciglio, Niang, Bertolacci to be solid consistent starters and at least one of Calabria, Ely as a solid backup with 700-800 minutes under the belt, I'd consider this a decent season because it would provide us with a solid nucleus of young players to build a team around.(in addition to Bonaventura and Romagnoli)

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Agreed ender. But lol at ely being included though. That guy is like a fodder of the highest order. I agree with everything else.

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
loan him, has potential but sometimes nervous coz of lack experience, need improve his defence too

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Agreed ender. But lol at ely being included though. That guy is like a fodder of the highest order. I agree with everything else.

I don't know... at one point even Niang was considered fodder. I've read of various teams being interested in Rodrigo Ely, which makes me think that maybe he's not as much fodder as some people think.

In the preseason he was always paired with Alex, and the only times he played in Serie A he was paired first with Romagnoli and then with Zapata, and he hadn't played with either of them before. Furthermore, he played only against Napoli and Fiorentina when they were at their best ... Any defenders would have been at difficulty against them let alone us that had a team in progress.

If I remember correctly, Romagnoli also gave a penalty away against Fiorentina... Inter lost 4-1 to Fiorentina and Miranda got a red card when they were 0-3, are you gonna say that he's shit as well?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that he's as good as Miranda, it's just that we've seen very little of him in official games to call him shit, in pre-season he was one of the best. Same way I cannot make any final judgements on Calabria either...

He was in the Merry Christmas video so he might not be out of Milan yet ;) (although Cerci was in that video also :p )

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He lacks the ball skills to play as CB. We need ball playing cb's. He is too poor on the ball. Lacks composure and is a bit daft when it comes to positioning. Isnt particularly strong or fast either. Neither does he have a good jump, which means that he is poor in the air. Seems fodder esque to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong but i highly doubt it cause he is italian. Most italian defensive minded talents these days are rather trash

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
He lacks the ball skills to play as CB. We need ball playing cb's. He is too poor on the ball. Lacks composure and is a bit daft when it comes to positioning. Isnt particularly strong or fast either. Neither does he have a good jump, which means that he is poor in the air. Seems fodder esque to me. Maybe he will prove me wrong but i highly doubt it cause he is italian. Most italian defensive minded talents these days are rather trash

Actually he's Brazilian but has received Italian passport. Having good ball playing skills is nice but not necessary, Chiellini is not a ball playing CB either.

His positioning I'd say is probably one of his stronger points which makes him anticipate a play instead of having to play catch up. Also when it comes to air balls he's pretty good, although in attack he seemed to be not very precise with headers. For one, I'd not consider Mexes or Zapata better in the air than him.

As I said, he was one of the best in pre-season, and if he was this shit he wouldn't have been.

Also I'm not sure how accurate the rumor that Milan refused a 10+ million offer in summer for him is.

https://www.milanlive.it/2015/08/19/corsera-il-milan-rifiuta-una-super-offerta-per-rodrigo-ely/

If there's one thing that I'm not certain, is the fact that in an official game, unlike a friendly, a striker will try every dirty trick in his book to try and gain the upper hand, and I don't know how prepared Rodrigo Ely is for those...

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Pre season is almost completely a non indicator dude. Fitness levels vary drastically and it's quite common for mediocre players to do very well against unfit/relaxed opponents.

Haven't seen anything quality in Ely in a real match yet.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score

:eek::fp::fp::lol::lol:

These days every fucking defensive talent in the world is trash. There may be maximim 10 between good and decent but the rest are :fp:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:eek::fp::fp::lol::lol:

These days every fucking defensive talent in the world is trash. There may be maximim 10 between good and decent but the rest are :fp:

I wanted to say all italian talents are trash but i was considerate enough to not hurt the feelings of the italian fans here :o. I do like berrardi, verratti, insinge, sansone and romagnoli etc. There are barely any other italiaj talents worth buying though

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Pre season is almost completely a non indicator dude. Fitness levels vary drastically and it's quite common for mediocre players to do very well against unfit/relaxed opponents.

Haven't seen anything quality in Ely in a real match yet.

I know, two games played is also a non-indicator :). I have a friend who watched last year Avellino, and he told me that Rodrigo Ely was head and shoulders above Vergara as a defender. Of course the jump from Serie B to Serie A is a very big one.

I mean, people are praising Koulibaly right now but they forget how he was playing last year. Barzagli is one of the most complete defenders currently and yet he was sold for pocket change to Juventus. It's too early to throw Ely out as trash. The fact that Miha started him not once but twice tells me that he sees something in this guy. As long as Miha trusts in him, I do as well.

Mihajlovic might not be the best coach or the best motivator, but he knows defensive coaching. This is the same guy that got Shkodran Mustafi to the World cup winning team and Romagnoli to where he is today.

Anyways, we kinda hijacked the Calabria thread :D