Votes: 140 36.6%
  • 4-3-1-2

Votes: 242 63.4%

• Total voters

ecI

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Pippo, Nesta, Baresi, C. Vela, Kaka, Ochoa, Antonini, Pato, T. Silva
Ashish said:
wow 5 defenders plus DMs one injured kaka and two strikers never saw it coming :)
if you mark kaka and knock him down we are out :(

The entire purpose of the 5 back line is to allow Zambro and Janku to have full freedom to attack, you saw Janku today, he is great on offense, add Zambro to the equation and even if you take out Kaka, we can link up through the wings. Flamini can also help link up too. This is an ideal formation, that would mean it would have all of our players being fit.

ORez said:
I considerably agree with your formation here, but are missing out Sheva who created two chances in the game against Zurich and his movement created more space up front. It's only time he starts scoring...

From this I'd remove Pato and put in Sheva to bring in experience.

A 4-4-2 would also suit us very well, if we take out Senderos or Kaladze, and put in Gattuso or Ambrosini. I'd prefer Ambrosini.

I would use Sheva as a sub at the most, or to fill in when others are injured but I personally would put Viudez ahead of him. Pato is more dynamic and needs the time in the field.

Ambro is added in my updated formation, the one in which i dropped R80 for him.

The dynamics of my formation (3-4-1-2) allow for multiple ways to change it without even doing any substitutions, like the following:

4-4-2
---------------Abbiati----------
---Zambro-Bonera-Sandro--Kala-
-----------Flamini--Ambro-------
------Kaka-------------Janku---
-----------BorriGol--Pato-------

3-4-2-1
-------Bonera-Sandro-Kala------
Zambro----Flamini--Ambro---Janku
--------- -Kaka----Pato--------
--------------BorriGol------------

4-2-3-1
---Zambro-Bonera-Sandro--Kala-
-----------Flamini--Ambro-------
------Kaka------Pato---Janku---
---------------BorriGol---------

3-3-3-1
Zambro--------Ambro-----Janku
----- -Kaka----Pato---Flamini-----
--------------BorriGol------------

The one bad thing about this formation is that it relies heavily on Janku, and he is injury-prone. So this is a viable option as long as we have those player available, in the event of us not having Nesta, we can use Senderos or Darmian, but Janku is the only player we have who could fill in all the positions that would be required of him.

Last edited:

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
This is a difficult job selecting an appropriate formation and is one of our most heated debates at the moment.

My 1st is;
----------------Abbiati------------------
Zambrotta---Nesta---Maldini---Jankulovski
-------------Rino-------Flamini------------
-----------------------Pirlo---------------
---------------Kaka---------------------
------------Pato--------Sheva-----------

My 2nd is;
-------------------Abbiati-------------------
Zambrotta-----Nesta-----Bonera---Jankulovski
----------Rino-------Flamini-----Pirlo---------
------Ronaldinho----Sheva------Kaka---------

My 3rd is (this may only work if the defence and work rate of our forwards improve and they are willing to track back help our defence out)
---------------------Abbiati----------------------
Zambrotta-----Nesta-------Maldini------Jankulovski
----------------Flamini------Ambrosini-------------
---------Ronaldinho-------------------Kaka-------
--------------------Pato--------Sheva-----------

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
One thing is for definate regardless of formations. We need to have 2 natural strikers at least. Also if we are going to have Dinho and Kaka playing together than either Gattuso or Ambrosini needs to work shit hard defensively.

Our four man back line isn't flat tbh it may look like it on paper but it certainly isn't we rely on our full backs heavily to go forward to provide our width other teams use a wider midfield. I wouldn't change the use of our full back system unless we added depth to our midfield in which case I would force the back line to be flat, but then what is the point in having Zambrotta and Janklovski at our disposal. I dont wanna mess around with our wing back positions I'm happy with that area. Just the center backs need better protection and need to put in better performances.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
9/23/2008 8:58 AM
Calcio Debate: Should Milan Stick With Two Men Up-Front?
Milan finally woke up at the weekend to kick-start their Serie A season with a crushing 4-1 win over Lazio. Carlo Garganese asks whether Carlo Ancelotti should now stick with a two man strikeforce, as modelled by Alexandre Pato and Marco Borriello on Sunday…

Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us

galleria
zoom
Carlo Ancelotti scrapped his favoured Christmas Tree formation against Lazio on Sunday night, and the results were emphatic. The Rossoneri’s attacking play was sparkling at times, and it wouldn’t have been unjust if they had ended the night with more than four goals to show for their efforts.

In the games against Bologna and Genoa previously, Ancelotti had opted for just the one-man upfront, Pippo Inzaghi in the former, and Andriy Shevchenko in the latter. Two defeats, one goal scored, and four conceded, appears to suggest that something, somewhere didn’t work out. Milan may have dominated from start-to-finish during the Bologna loss (although they were dreadful against Genoa), but what is clear, in my mind anyway, is that they look far more potent with two central attackers on the pitch.

Against Lazio, the Rossoneri had options every time they came forward. When Kaka counter-attacked at pace, he had more than one team-mate in support. When full backs Marek Jankulovski and Gianluca Zambrotta bombed down the flank, their was actually a chance that their crosses would be worthwhile, as proved to be the case with the third goal for Pato.

When a direct long ball was launched up to Borriello, he had a strike partner who could feed off him. When Clarence Seedorf was looking for that clever through pass, there wasn’t only the one run to pick out. When the Lazio defence had to mark up, all four of them had to remain concentrated, as opposed to just one centre back.

There are times when playing one man in attack can work, particularly against stronger teams, where winning the midfield battle can be key. My theory, to speak very generally, has always been that against weaker opposition, you should overpower them where possible with offensive potential. This is what Milan should do this season. It is no coincidence that over the past couple of years the Rossoneri have struggled against the so-called weaker teams. During this time they have mainly employed the Christmas Tree formation. See the pattern?

Lesser teams shutting up shop will find it much easier against the Christmas Tree. Milan’s slow attacks using this formation can be painfully predictable at times, despite the presence of creative geniuses such as Pirlo, Seedorf and Kaka. The age of the slow-attack through the middle, as was the case in the 1980s is almost dead. Tomorrow night Milan travel to Calabria to take on one of these lesser teams, Reggina, and Ancelotti must surely not revert back to his old habit.

Personally I would like to see Borriello and Pato both keep their places. The partnership worked really well against Lazio, however the latest reports suggest that the Italian may make way for Shevchenko. The Ukrainian was dreadful in his opening two Serie A games, but he was excellent alongside Pato in the 3-1 UEFA Cup win over FC Zurich last week, where once again the merits of the two-pronged attack were highlighted. One thing is absolutely certain and that is if Shevchenko is going to find his form again, he needs a strike partner. At 32 he can’t be expected to lead the line by himself.

Just how Ancelotti decides to use his midfielders, particularly Ronaldinho, in such a system, is an interesting question, but it is of secondary importance. First and foremost Carletto must employ a two-man attack. Then, he can decide what to do with Ronaldinho and co.

What are your views on this topic? Should Milan stick with two-men upfront or should Ancelotti revert to his favoured Christmas Tree? What should be Milan’s attack? Goal.com wants to know what YOU think…

Carlo Garganese
----------

well it onlytook goal.com 2 years to figure whats been said on this forum... xmas tree does NOT work against small clubs

superpato

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
-----------------------------abbiati------------------------

------Zambro---------nesta------------bonera-------------janku-------

---------------------Flamini-----------Pirlo-----------

-------------------------------seedorf----------------------

--------------------kaka-----------------------

------------------------------Bori---------------Pato/R80---------

M

MassterMark

I Am Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....................Abbiati....................

Antonini...Senderos...Nesta...Jankulovski/Zambrotta

.............Flamini.......Seedorf..........

.........Kaka´.................Ronaldinho..

................Pato.......Boriello...........

this is it.
maybe janku/zambr out and rino in (if he goes on on yesterdays level, he can play and he can replace one defender so we can play with only 3 standard defender).

markaugie1

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Ronaldo, Pato, Kaka, Villa, TS
antonini will never play over janku/zambro in a big game. stop with the formations

kaka717

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rui Costa
Well i am posting my prefered formation it was no easy to select players because most of them deserves to stay on the midfield

composition-13.php

ecI

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Pippo, Nesta, Baresi, C. Vela, Kaka, Ochoa, Antonini, Pato, T. Silva
Zambro--------Flamini------Janku
--------- -Kaka------R80--------
----------------Pato------------
---------------Marco------------

x__player

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
kaka717 said:
Well i am posting my prefered formation it was no easy to select players because most of them deserves to stay on the midfield

composition-13.php

This is not the best formation or the best starting 11 Milan has....certainly Sheva doesnt deserve to start as he is our 4th striker right now and Pirlo dosent deserve it as well. We could discuss about Gattuso also though....

I would go for 4-3-1-2 with Abbiatti; Zambrotta, Nesta, Maldini\Senderos, Jankulovski; Flamini, Seedorf, Ambrosini; Kaka; Borriello, Pato.

Or 4-2-2-2 in "easier" games with Abbiatti; Zambrotta, Nesta, Maldini\Senderos, Kaladze; Flamini, Gattuso\Ambrosini; Kaka, Ronaldinho; Borriello, Pato.

First formation is for nearly every game as it is very good balanced and can work against any team out there. The 2nd one is for the games against smaller teams or for the games when we need to catch up the result. If Dinho is used as an AML than at left fullback there must be someone to cover that side completely and that is why I choose Kaladze for playing there as he is really defensive minded player (not like Janku). Also in middle I put Flamini and gattuso or ambro there to destroy any potential counter-attacks. the main thing is that front 4 must help the defence as well and Borriello, Kaka and Pato are certainly capable of doing that if the coach demands to, and so is Dinho with some more condition. I dont think we will play like this in any matches at the moment but I would love to see this formation on friendlies and to see it how it works!

M

MassterMark

markaugie1 said:
antonini will never play over janku/zambro in a big game. stop with the formations
stfu. topic is 'preferred formation'. not formation on last game.
and i think antonini will be good as zambrotta in best days. but for that he must play! and i think even now is antonini as good as zambrotta or jankulovski. so he could start instad of one in some game.

M

MassterMark

I Am Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have sth better:

....................Abbiati....................

......Senderos...Nesta...Antonini.......

.............Flamini.......Seedorf..........

....Gourcuff.......Kaka´....Ronaldinho..

................Pato.......Boriello...........

very attacking one^^

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
---------------------------Abbiati--------------------------

antonini/zamb---nesta/senderrors---darmain-----janku------

----------------cardi---------------------flamini---------------

--kaka------------------------------------Abbate/gorcuff---

---------------pato/viduez---------------------------------

----------------------Paloschi/Borrielo-------------------

coach Arsene Wegner :)

kaka717

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rui Costa
actually the most useful kind of formation would be rather:
442 DIAMOND Kakà main leads game and Ronnie as second striker cause of his high efficiency of dribbling and can technically giving good balls to our striker
4132 Seedorf on the right side Kaka in centre midfield and Ronnie on the left side they can combine together and main lead game as well
so 3 AM

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Masstermark, i think we have all established you're back. Now quit titling every post with "I'm back!!!!"

markaugie1

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MassterMark said:
stfu. topic is 'preferred formation'. not formation on last game.
and i think antonini will be good as zambrotta in best days. but for that he must play! and i think even now is antonini as good as zambrotta or jankulovski. so he could start instad of one in some game.

how many times have you actually seen antonini play to say that he should start over zambrotta or jankulovski

M

MassterMark

markaugie1 said:
how many times have you actually seen antonini play to say that he should start over zambrotta or jankulovski
enough times. ok?

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Kalac#16 said:
Well you can't of seen him that often considering he basically never plays you make your assumptions on the fact he's young.
He his 26.

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
He's Back!!!!

---------------emerson-----------------
kaka-------sheva--------bori-------dinho
----------------pato--------------------
--------paloschi------seedorf------------
----------------pippo--------------------
---------pirlo--------------Antonini------

^^^^
very attacking one for small teams. :star:

M

MassterMark

CentreD13 said:
---------------emerson-----------------
kaka-------sheva--------bori-------dinho
----------------pato--------------------
--------paloschi------seedorf------------
----------------pippo--------------------
---------pirlo--------------Antonini------

^^^^
very attacking one for small teams. :star:
;)

kaka717

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rui Costa
guys are you all serious with yur tactics? it looks like so much offensive LOL :eek: :D

M

MassterMark

:::::::::::::::::handanovič:::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::senderos::::ramos::::antonini:::::::::::::
::::::::::::flamini:::::::hernanes::::::::::::::::
:::::::gourcuff:::::kaka:::::thiago.neves/ben.arfa
::::::::::::::pato:::::::::boriello:::::::::::::::

this is my young ac milan team.:D:D

markaugie1

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Why are people so convinced with Senderos when he couldn't even get a game on Arsenal...

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
markaugie1 said:
Why are people so convinced with Senderos when he couldn't even get a game on Arsenal...

he had some very good performances in the gunners cl run a couple of years ago... he just hasnt been very consistent... for every exceptional performance there were a few catastrophic blunders... I'd like to think that can be attributed to inexperience and he'll become a very good player but only time will tell and he needs to stop jerking off the medical staff (thats pippos job) and get on the field or hes gonna be on his way back to arsenal before we ever find out

Schedule