Week 3: Hellas Verona - Milan 15/09/19 20:45 CET

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Because Suso started for Spain this week. I was talking about this specific match against Verona. It’s a good opportunity to try Bona. I’m sure the coaching staff wants to establish a plan B to Suso as well.

Suso played an hour against the Faroe Islands. He can start against Verona, let's not overstate the impact of midweek games. He wasn't on a long haul flight like Paqueta either. Suso is definitely starting.

If Bona is ready he fits far more as a replacement to Castillejo, either starting opposite Suso if Giampaolo really wants to play a 433, or in the hole doing what Castillejo tries but fails to do.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Suso played an hour against the Faroe Islands. He can start against Verona, let's not overstate the impact of midweek games. He wasn't on a long haul flight like Paqueta either. Suso is definitely starting.

If Bona is ready he fits far more as a replacement to Castillejo, either starting opposite Suso if Giampaolo really wants to play a 433, or in the hole doing what Castillejo tries but fails to do.

And the game was on Monday so almost no difference compared to having had a Serie A game, less minutes played and a little more travelling.

I agree with you, Suso definitely starts. Even if he was tired. GP desperately needs a result and already has misfiring Piatek and Castillejo, no way he won't start Suso.

I'm sure Samu starts. I hope Rebic comes on for him rather than Jack who I think could replace either Suso or Hakan depending on any tiredness on their parts and also Paqueta's and how we're doing in the game. Also hoping to see Theo.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And the game was on Monday so almost no difference compared to having had a Serie A game, less minutes played and a little more travelling.

I agree with you, Suso definitely starts. Even if he was tired. GP desperately needs a result and already has misfiring Piatek and Castillejo, no way he won't start Suso.

I'm sure Samu starts. I hope Rebic comes on for him rather than Jack who I think could replace either Suso or Hakan depending on any tiredness on their parts and also Paqueta's and how we're doing in the game. Also hoping to see Theo.

Feels going knowing there are players you can trust on the bench.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I hope theo plays bc I think he's going to bring the most dynamism to our shape with the way he plays. I also like that not both sidebacks are aggressive bc then it puts too much strain on the CB's and DM.

Curious who gets the start this weekend but I'm really hoping to see castillejo benched in favor of either Leao or Rebic but TBH I doubt it, seems GP has a boy crush on Castillejo right now.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
if we 4-3-3:

---------------Piatek-------------
Reb/Lea--------------------Suso
-----Paq(Jack)-----Kes(Hak)----
---------------Benna-------------
Theo----Roma---Mus/Dua---Cal
---------------Donna-------------

Not bad. but I have my doubts over who will actually get the start, I think Samu is def playing from minute 1, we'll see.

One thing that will make this formation actually good this time around is that we have a few who can play LW now and also if GP allows Paqueta or whoever is the creative mid (Paqueta, Hakan, Jack) to drift towards the AM/trequartista when in posession and get closer to goal it will look more like a 4-2-3-1 which I personally prefer for our team.

Last edited:

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
d1c3e53794d22cf460f84acf35e87139.jpg

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
I just don't know how after all these times and money spend... we still looks average as fuck when you look at lineup. :rolleyes:

And GP is becoming annoying with forcing same shit players once again.

We'll take 3 points here tho, at least we're better here.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
That lineup looks terrible.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
The question we should be asking ourself guys, would sacchi have started Samu instead of new comers?

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
I can understand that he will bench Rebić, he had just several trainings with team and I agree that he's really not ready yet. But why he can't field Leao instead of Samu? :rolleyes:

Paqueta and Theo should start as well. Hell, even Paqueta can play in that Samu's role.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
giphy.gif

NO SAMU

NO SAMU

NO SAMU

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
blessing ples
39198_1571854573776_1157872547_31663366_5779158_n.jpg

CDarius

Milan Icon
Reaction score
We are so good that we can afford to bench our most promosing player (Paqueta) and our most interesting singings beside Bennacer ( Theo and Rebic ). Now thats a “sometimes i just dont care” move

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
What is the point of signing new players if you are not going to put them on the pitch? And where is Paqueta? I want to see Leao etc etc etc!

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
GP won’t make it to Christmas I say you

Most probably, if he keeps this up. I just hope that Elliot and Maldoban don't tolerate shit for too much, as was the case with Montella

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Milan, Calha on pole in the role of left wing

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Calhanoglu, Paquetà and Bonaventura will compete for a jersey in midfield. At the moment, the Turkish is ahead of his companions.

Milan, Hernandez and Biglia available: on the bench in Verona

Good news from the infirmary of Milanello. During the week, Giampaolo recovered Lucas Biglia, who had stopped before the Udine debut. The Argentine will be on the bench in Verona, as well as Theo Hernandez.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
If the lineup is true then some early assumptions can be made on GP's thought process. I assume Leao isnt ready in his eyes to be the strike partner for Piatek or he cant be played to compensate for Suso.

Kessie has locked down the right sided spot and GP will use Krunic as the replacement. He is straight up benching Paqueta or not risking him since he is the last back from NT duty. He wont place returning (from injury) players straight into the starting lineups and he hasnt seen enough of Duarte to break his CB partnership.

We will need to wait a bit longer to see if he actually trusts Bennacer and if he will hang his hat on Suso despite performance. I hope that the formation remains his hybrid Christmas tree and not a return to the 4-3-3 because that may mean certain expectations we had for playing a new exciting way may not be realized.

Hoping to see new players early in the 2nd half because that will mean we arent chasing the 3pts

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Press conference:

LIVE MN - Giampaolo: "I saw Piatek well, Paquetà is a midfielder. The module? I have only moved two players ..."
14.09.2019 14:28 by Matteo Calcagni Twitter:

What do you think of Rodriguez and Theo Hernandez?

"Rodriguez is punctual, tidy, he always brings bread. Hernandez is more assaulting, more pushing, he has great enthusiasm, even physical arrogance. He is a strong player, I like him. They are two excellent players with different characteristics. When we will put Hernandez in place we could both use them with different characteristics ".

What do you think of Verona?

"Stimo Juric, he has had difficulties in the last few years but he is good. In Lecce he played a great game, he won deservedly: an intense challenge is waiting for us, we will have to be good, otherwise we will tend to enlarge. soft, we have to be careful, we have worked a lot, I expect an intended game, we have to be good at dribbling, it is a game to play well, you can never underestimate the games, with no team and no opponent, victories and defeats they hide in invisible folds. The team knows what game awaits us tomorrow. "

At what point is Duarte?

"It improves, it is an intelligent, curious boy. Every day it goes to my collaborators to review things, it wants to improve, it progresses, but I don't change the central defenders. The defense is a particular department to change, its moment will come, but Musacchio and Romagnoli they are doing things right. Musacchio is a strong player and has good leadership, don't underestimate him. You have it with the players who were there before, do I have to let the new ones play? (Scherza ndr.). new, there is Milan, neither Tizio or Caio: Milan ".

How is Theo Hernandez?

"He has recovered well, he has enthusiasm, he has silver on him, I like him. He must improve the condition, but he won't play tomorrow."

What is the role of Rebic and how is it?

"He says his ideal role is external to the left, in the National team he has also played point and to the right. He is fine on the physical plane."

Has the slogan changed?

"Head up and play football, the slogan has not changed."

Biglia or Bennacer tomorrow?

"Play one of the two".

When will we see Leao and Duarte?

"If he played Leao I should get another one out, as well as Duarte ...".

Are you satisfied by the market? The playmaker did not arrive ...

"I'm happy to coach this group of guys. I can even play with a midfielder or a striker in a trocar, it's like jobs that make a difference."

Do the controversies about the new ones that don't play touch it?

"Eleven are playing, twelve are out. There are those who play and those who do not play, not holders and reserves. The hierarchies depend on daily work. Bennacer could not play in the first game, he had two training sessions. he is a great player. I go beyond these considerations. "

What do you say to those who don't want Castillejo in the field?

"Su Castillejo offends me, he is a great worker and I like him too. At Milan there are no poor players, there are players stronger than others, but the team is very young, some may become stronger than others within a few months "I have to build a team, I have to put together eleven players who do things well. I have to be credible towards everyone. My reference is the team, it's how the players work, their growth. I coached players who at the beginning did not they never played and then they became immovable. To make the difference was maturity, dedication, my choices are geared towards team growth, I will carry on this kind of speech by evaluating the players during the week. engagement, what it cost,otherwise I would lose credibility ".

According to Sacchi Sarri is an esthete, and impatient Conte, you?

"I am an honest worker of the vineyard (laughs ed)".

Does it have a path already traced on the gaming system?

"After seventy days I know how to play, the only thing I did was move Suso and centralize Castillejo. I brought Suso close to his tile, but Suso can play trequartista, I am convinced he can do it. We have changed absolutely nothing, as if I were playing Hakan half right wing and not left wing. In reality we have not changed anything, we work on the same things. I can put a player in a position to express himself better in a certain role but I remain convinced that Suso can play there ".

How is Piatek?

"I have enjoyed these three days. Piatek does not have to be a footballer who only thinks about attacking the last twenty meters of the goal and playing pirated football, he must be a complete player. I liked it a lot this week, he did things in a different way: I had motivated the choice of André Silva for that kind of characteristics, Piatek cannot be said that he cannot do them, Milan cannot always play long ball in depth, Milan must also dribble. "I saw him doing training, he must go outside. He is a complete player and must play as a complete player. The goal must not be an obsession, he must think about playing well, the goal then comes accordingly. If you play badly you do more difficult to score, I trust him too.not as a midfielder ... ".

At what point is your Milan?

"It's not my Milan, Milan is a Milan player, I work on an idea, on a behavior. The difference is made by players with their qualities, I try to give a mentality. I like that the team plays soccer, have the dominance of the game. There is never an end to improvements, the Italian league is increasingly balanced, the differences are subtle. Details can shift the balance, work on details will make the difference combined with the quality of the players.

How important is it to win in Verona in view of the derby?

"It's always important to win, always and everywhere. I don't care that Verona is a tough field for Milan, I don't believe in these things very much. The team has to fight to win against anyone. It's the attitude that makes the difference, on the "I am convinced. The boys train with responsibility and motivation."

Where do you see Paquetà better?

"He is a player who can do both, I will choose based on the matches. Whoever plays as a midfielder must learn to be an attacker. He has the characteristics of a midfielder, so as a playmaker he must learn to move halfway".

What needs to be improved?

"I really like the attachment of the players to do things, I train 21 field players and they are all in doing things. The dedication with which they do things bodes well for me. Everyone needs to be included but they are involved, I have to think about making the team more and more a team.

He has a good coaching budget after the stops ...

"Pure coincidence, I never noticed it. The stops do not shift the balance".

How is the team after the National team commitments?

"They trained well with great professionalism, even those who went to the national team worked well and spent minutes in the legs. They all came back well, they did the training well. I am confident, with work we will put many things in place, the team will it transmits this trust, it does things well and works well with enthusiasm, time will fix things up. The team will always improve, I am sure of this ".

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I’m very curious about the Biglia vs Bennacer decision. I see benefits in both direction. Looking fwd to see what Giampaolo ends up choosing for Verona.

One of the positions where now we truly have a real choice that can be made depending on the opposition.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
I’m very curious about the Biglia vs Bennacer decision. I see benefits in both direction. Looking fwd to see what Giampaolo ends up choosing for Verona.

One of the positions where now we truly have a real choice that can be made depending on the opposition.

Disagree

I think Bennacer proved within 30 minutes that he is already better than Biglia in every aspect. He retains the ball under pressure far better, and he breaks lines with his passing that Biglia rarely does. Not to mention an ability to cover ground far quicker than Biglia can (not that Biglia isn't a hard worker). To me it would be a crime to not start Bennacer if both are fully fit.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Biglia is a very clever footballer in the regista role. He reads the game well and knows when to push forward and when to sit back. He was easily our best player during preseason.

Bennacer is an exciting player with lovely technique and more potent than Biglia when going forward.

Both strong assets. It’s not a cut and dry simple choice.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Biglia is a really awesome backup to have without a doubt. But Bennacer does everything that Biglia does and adds more on top of that, and that includes defensive coverage as well.

Bennacer's potential is Modric tier, and he's already better than Biglia....so I'm not sure what's the point of benching him for an older lesser player when he has already shown so much. Especially on field time to learn Giampaolo's 'system' against a slightly lesser challenge than the upcoming weeks. Doesn't make sense to me.

ShevaNo7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Maldini, Boban, Weah, Sheva, Kaka, Rui Costa, Nesta, Zizou
Absolutely no way Bennacer should be benched
Especially not for Biglia just returning from injury
Bennacer at the relatively early stages of his career does things Biglia could only have dreamed of doing in his
Biglia should be sub Bennacer only

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Biglia is a really awesome backup to have without a doubt. But Bennacer does everything that Biglia does and adds more on top of that, and that includes defensive coverage as well.

Bennacer's potential is Modric tier, and he's already better than Biglia....so I'm not sure what's the point of benching him for an older lesser player when he has already shown so much. Especially on field time to learn Giampaolo's 'system' against a slightly lesser challenge than the upcoming weeks. Doesn't make sense to me.

Having watched Bennacer most weekends last season, I know exactly how good he is. There are certain games that suit Biglia more than Bennacer. At this stage of Bennacer’s career. Potentially you are correct, he can be much better than Biglia.

In the first page of this thread, this is exactly the thing I said could happen and would incense this forum :lol:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
La probabile formazione del @acmilan contro il @HellasVeronaFC: 4321

Donnarumma; Calabria Musacchio Romagnoli Rodriguez; Kessie Biglia Calhanoglu; Suso Paquetà; Piatek

@SkySport

Paqueta as AM this is gonna be awesome.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Paqueta as AM this is gonna be awesome.

That line-up seems unlikely since GP has just said that Paqueta has characteristics of a midfielder and sang Samu's praises, but I would like to see it.

No one called the last line-up very well, and Sky was way off IIRC.

Schedule