Week 20: Milan - Udinese 19/01/2020 12:30 CET

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Neruda is a Milan fan who infiltrated FIF for memes.

Phantomx

Only Milan
Reaction score
beautiful win . i cried after third goal .
i love you rebic , i love you so much and please no more suso , hakan and bonaventura .

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Is this serious?
I was calling for Rebic to start, as support striker, since he's not a LM.
Then at half-time, being a goal down and witnessing a relic on the left flank I said I wouldn't mind Rebic coming on for the relic(Bona) since Udinese would park the bus and Rebic would become more of a LWF.
He comes on, the team switches to 4-2 fantasia, Rebic spends even more time in the final third than against SPAL, and he scores twice in a striker manner.

This 4-2-4 is a great option to have for 2nd halves when you're chasing goals, and it might even be sustainable from start in certain home games, but it's very unbalanced in most circumstances.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Is this serious?

Then at half-time, being a goal down and witnessing a relic on the left flank I said I wouldn't mind Rebic coming on for the relic(Bona) since Udinese would park the bus and Rebic would become more of a LWF.

He comes on, the team switches to 4-2 fantasia, Rebic spends even more time in the final third than against SPAL, and he scores twice in a striker manner.

This 4-2-4 is a great option to have for 2nd halves when you're chasing goals, and it might even be sustainable from start in certain home games, but it's very unbalanced in most circumstances.

You said you would rather bonaventura, and even borini before rebic at LM..

Hitchens x goodfella = 1-0

Since hakan ain’t available, rather Rebic than bonaventura.. at least he can switch positions with leao mid-game

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You said you would rather bonaventura, and even borini before rebic at LM..

Hitchens x goodfella = 1-0

Nope, I picked Hakan between those 3, for an actual 4-4-2. Still would.
I've never been a Bona fan, let alone now after all these injuries and age catching up to him.

Borini before all 4 of them.

Rebic was a wing-forward, or a second-striker when he came on. If it was up to me he would've started in that position, but tbf Leao also showed he deserved to start.

This was their avg positions. Rebic was even further up than Ibra.
6hq6VMI.png

If you want to know why I think Rebic at LM is a bad idea, then focus on Rebic during Udinese's equalizer. Now imagine if Rebic had been on the pitch for 85 minutes and not 40, and imagine this wasn't a home game against a bottom table team.

SuperP

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Nope, I picked Hakan between those 3, for an actual 4-4-2. Still would.
I've never been a Bona fan, let alone now after all these injuries and age catching up to him.

Borini before all 4 of them.

Rebic was a wing-forward, or a second-striker when he came on. If it was up to me he would've started in that position, but tbf Leao also showed he deserved to start.

This was their avg positions. Rebic was even further up than Ibra.
6hq6VMI.png

If you want to know why I think Rebic at LM is a bad idea, then focus on Rebic during Udinese's equalizer. Now imagine if Rebic had been on the pitch for 85 minutes and not 40, and imagine this wasn't a home game against a bottom table team.

I think it also depends on the Pioli' instructions. He might have been asked to stay up

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
No one is saying Rebic is a LM.
We are saying lets choose a tactic where Rebic can play while Hakan & Suso arent fielded.
Ss or a winger , he is better than both.
As a LM he isnt suitable but Bona or Hakan arent good enough to justify a formation that require a LM.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hoplite

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Maybe Leao can be our LM? That way, Piatek can pair with Ibra.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Is this serious?

Haha, no only light-hearted. But you had made this post previously which was what Hitchens had referred to:

:thumbsup:
Agree completely on Rebic. It's mind-boggling that some here still want to see him start at LM in the next game.

I know you had him starting in front of Leao and at half time you did agree that Jack was awful and that Rebic should come on. Rebic for relic, I liked that. :lol: I also was actually in favour of not starting Rebic on the left, but Jack was even more useless than I thought as well.

He might have ended up playing as LWF rather than LM but I don't really think the differentiation is such a big deal. He came on to replace the LM and we adjusted the formation to suit Rebic and he played on the left side. Yes there were problems with him tracking back but there were problems of all kinds with Jack and the are when Hakan plays too.

No one is saying Rebic is a LM.
We are saying lets choose a tactic where Rebic can play while Hakan & Suso arent fielded.
Ss or a winger , he is better than both.
As a LM he isnt suitable but Bona or Hakan arent good enough to justify a formation that require a LM.

Yes, that is exactly the crux of it. Our squad is quite unbalanced, the second half team yesterday got all our best-performing players on the pitch (especially considering Hakan was out), the first half team had a useless Jack in it for the sake of maintaining a 4-4-2 and an in-form Rebic on the bench.

I don't know what Pioli will do now. We can call the 2nd half team a 4-2-4 if you like, although Samu was still tracking back as he did in the 4-4-2 - his role didn't change a lot so it's somewhere in between the two and also looked like a 4-2-3-1 at times and also a 4-1-4-1 occasionally, very fluid positionally as Pioli keeps saying. Anyway, if we stick with those personnel then we're really light on any replacements for the front 4 and from that showing either a lot of work needs to be done with Rebic defensively, or we need a new midfielder, or both. Otherwise we keep it in reserve for occasions like you mentioned and bench one of Leao or Rebic to play Hakan or Jack.

But I agree with what Wild says, especially Jack isn't good enough right now to be on the pitch and the formation should be such that he isn't.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The 2nd half team will get destroyed by most Serie A teams who can finish. Even Udinese could have comfortably scored 3 goals against us in the 2nd half alone. So Pioli risking that lineup from the onset would be some new level of suicidal management.

When Hakan is fit, he will always start in this Milan squad. Balance is always important for managers (rightly so).

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Glad pioli put Rebic in at LM since Jack is not a LM, he has to either be a winger or an AM. Doesn't have the legs to beat his man for pace these days. That said, I know we're all loving the 4-4-2 but I truly think that if we want to get the absolute best out of this lineup we should make the switch to a 3-4-1-2, or at least run this formation when we think the middle of the field is going to be overly exposed and need more bodies in the mid.

--------Leao---------Ibra----------
----------Paq/Jack/Hak------------
-Theo----Benna--Kess----Cas/Cont
-----Roma----Kjaer---Musac------
----------Donnarumma------------

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
The 2nd half team will get destroyed by most Serie A teams who can finish. Even Udinese could have comfortably scored 3 goals against us in the 2nd half alone. So Pioli risking that lineup from the onset would be some new level of suicidal management.

Yes, and they're the 2nd lowest-scoring team in Serie A. :lol:

nekky

Big Muffin
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic Kaká T.Silva Shevschenko Pato Nesta Maldini Theo

When Hakan is fit, he will always start in this Milan squad. Balance is always important for managers (rightly so).

Donnarumma sort of forced our hands since he literally gave them an early lead
and we had to put on the offense gear right at the start. With both theo and conti pushed up high, Kessie being a passenger and us having two slow CBs left us incredible vulnerable for counter attacks.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Donnarumma sort of forced our hands since he literally gave them an early lead
and we had to put on the offense gear right at the start. With both theo and conti pushed up high, Kessie being a passenger and us having two slow CBs left us incredible vulnerable for counter attacks.

Absolutely, it was the right thing to do yesterday.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I'd be perfectly happy with us playing the exact same team as started yesterday, but with Hakan instead of Bonaventura going forward.

Suso needs to fuck off. I'd like Paqueta to play but he puts in less of a shift than Hakan and isn't strong enough in the middle over Kessie.

I'd maybe play him when Bennacer next gets banned

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Because of one good game Rebic doesn‘t become a good player. I‘m not saying to not play him but overall I‘d clearly prefer Bona as LM.

SuperP

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Because of one good game Rebic doesn‘t become a good player. I‘m not saying to not play him but overall I‘d clearly prefer Bona as LM.

He was highly rated with Frankfurt and is just now gaining play time. I say lets try him out . It's not like you can show anything with 10 min subs.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He was highly rated with Frankfurt and is just now gaining play time. I say lets try him out . It's not like you can show anything with 10 min subs.

Of course, I personally don't think he is a good player but yeah if he does something keep playing him. But still it is only one good game, each of the players he is competing with had at least a good game somewhere in the season.

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score

Bonaventura is the definition of trash. What is it with desiring mediocre players in this club and having some sort of emotional attachment to them? The guy should leave this club immediately as he isn’t good enough

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

I agree that one game doesn't make a player not trash BUT to the rest of your post:

- for LM, Jack is no good (otherwise I like Jack, just not in this type of position), he cannot beat his man for pace and his workrate is low-medium = NOT A LM. That said, he is good with his feet, creative, and has a good shot. This means he needs to be further up towards goal, either LW or AM, not a RM, so for RM I definitely prefer Rebic since he has legs to run hard and beat his man as well as help out in defense which is needed for LM.

- ideally I'd like to get somebody else altogether for this spot who actually fits the role but for now we should give Rebic some more chances and see if he becomes solid given some consistency. He may not, and I wouldn't be surprised, but what do we have to lose.. if he underperforms, just put Jack there again.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He might have ended up playing as LWF rather than LM but I don't really think the differentiation is such a big deal. He came on to replace the LM and we adjusted the formation to suit Rebic and he played on the left side. Yes there were problems with him tracking back but there were problems of all kinds with Jack and the are when Hakan plays too.

Yes, that is exactly the crux of it. Our squad is quite unbalanced, the second half team yesterday got all our best-performing players on the pitch (especially considering Hakan was out), the first half team had a useless Jack in it for the sake of maintaining a 4-4-2 and an in-form Rebic on the bench.

I don't know what Pioli will do now. We can call the 2nd half team a 4-2-4 if you like, although Samu was still tracking back as he did in the 4-4-2 - his role didn't change a lot so it's somewhere in between the two and also looked like a 4-2-3-1 at times and also a 4-1-4-1 occasionally, very fluid positionally as Pioli keeps saying. Anyway, if we stick with those personnel then we're really light on any replacements for the front 4 and from that showing either a lot of work needs to be done with Rebic defensively, or we need a new midfielder, or both. Otherwise we keep it in reserve for occasions like you mentioned and bench one of Leao or Rebic to play Hakan or Jack.

But I agree with what Wild says, especially Jack isn't good enough right now to be on the pitch and the formation should be such that he isn't.

It's all about balance.

Rebic on the left in a 4-2-3-1 with 3 other attackers that don't slack in the defensive phase, a strong midfield duo and a conservative left-back? Balanced.

A front 4 that features Ibra, Leao & Rebic, an unreliable midfield duo(Kessie-Bennacer) and a wing-back at left-back? Unbalanced. A good option when you're trailing and desperately chasing goals though. Maybe also a good option from start in games against minnows if Rebic can keep this up, but if our "LM" is outscoring our second-striker(Leao) then it's probably time to bench Leao.

There are issues with Hakan as well, although not nearly as much as with Bona, who seems to have lost the tiny bit of athleticism he had. But if we're facing Roma or Lazio then I know who I'd pick for the left-midfielder spot every single time. He plays at a fast pace, he can cover a huge amount of ground like Samu and he's okay as long as you have 2-3 more dependable goal scorers than him on the pitch.

nekky

Big Muffin
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic Kaká T.Silva Shevschenko Pato Nesta Maldini Theo
People are talking as if Rebic played LM when he came on last game, but to me, it looked more as if Rebic played alongside Ibra and Leao moved down to LM position when Rebic came on.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
People are talking as if Rebic played LM when he came on last game, but to me, it looked more as if Rebic played alongside Ibra and Leao moved down to LM position when Rebic came on.

Leao moved behind Ibra and between Rebic and Samu after HT.
He spent the last quarter on the right flank, when Krunic replaced Samu.
We finished the game in a 4-2-3-1 with Krunic as CAM, flanked by Rebic and Leao.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Ffs

Last edited:

Schedule