Clubs split on Galliani election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUGOSLAV

Josip Broz TITO
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Totti, Maldini, Canna, Olic, Barbarez, Šuker, Gatu, Buffon, Pirlo, Zambro & Nesta
The split between factions of Serie A clubs is widening after a stalemate in the re-election of League President Adriano Galliani.

The Milan transfer chief has been in charge of the League for the last four years, but some of the smaller sides have criticised his appointment as serving the larger outfits.

“The League cannot possibly be more split than this,” stated Galliani after today’s voting failed to re-elect him in the absence of another candidate. “This is hardly new, but for the sake of football I hope the situation resolves itself soon.”

21 clubs voted in favour of Galliani, while he would require 32 of the total 42 Serie A and B sides to win the ballot. There will be another round of votes on November 29.

“I have no intention of stepping down,” he added, “as that would be a betrayal of the 21 clubs who voted for me.”

The anti-Galliani group is headed by Fiorentina patron Diego Della Valle and Palermo chief Maurizio Zamparini.

“This will decide the future of the League,” stated Della Valle, “as we must decide the principles this institution must be run on, in the interest of 42 clubs and not just four.”

There have been many names put forward as a potential candidate to stand against Galliani, but so far nobody has been officially assigned.

“More than a candidate,” added Palermo President Zamparini, “what we have is an alternative plan to Galliani’s ideas. The name will come later.”

Among those still backing the Milan Vice-President are Lazio, led by patron Claudio Lotito.

“I won’t make predictions on what will happen,” said the businessman, “but the problem is not Galliani per se. What we have here is two different concepts of a League, those who want a change and those who believe the current values are sufficient.”

(football Italia).

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Already a thread on this. I'll let you find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule