Paolo Maldini Thread

ads216

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
As much as Maldini has been great for Milan, his level of playing has prevented the team from getting a younger player to replace him. Our defense needs a complete overhaul 'cos the starting 4 backs are a combined 130 years old! (This BTW is about 50 years more than a club like Chelsea or Barça). We all love Maldini and what he has done for the club but what would happen if the 3 ancients (Maldini, Stamm and Cafu) are unable to perform well or some of them get hurt for an extended period of time? We have nobody world class to replace him. And unless this issue is addressed this year, Milan will be in big time trouble next year.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
Everytime a player graces the field they feel a great desire to continue on playing. When they decide their body cant take it or they lose passion then they will choose to retire, for Paolo he is one of a kind... never seen a player that can play at that level for 20+ seasons
So true. I can imagine how hard it is for any player - especially one of Maldini's stature - to retire from a sport they love so much, because they feel that they're losing a crucial part of their lifestyle. Here in the States, we have Jerry Rice, who signed with Denver last week in hopes of returning for an unheard-of 21st season in the NFL, where the average career lasts seven years.

What blows me away is that Maldini has spent his entire career with just one team, and for 20 years at that. I appreciate "throwback" athletes like him in any sport who arrived on the scene long before today's era of huge entourages, excessive bling-bling and the desire to record third-class rap albums. Players establishing long, distinguished careers with one team are fast becoming an endangered species. (Look at the mockery Michael Jordan made of his last playing days.) Reggie Miller, one of the greatest shooters to ever play the game, just retired from the NBA after an 18-year long career spent entirely with the Indiana Pacers.

We as fans feel sadness when our favorite player(s) call it quits, as they had almost become a part of our lives, so to speak. But for the players themselves that feeling must be tenfold. From my observation, it seems that those who play for the love of the game, as cliche as that term is, manage to find a way to stick it out and extend their careers longer than those just looking to squeeze out another year of paychecks in order to add another Bentley to their collection.

Regarding the subject at hand: I see Maldini contributing one more full season in 05-06, and then contemplating a diminished role - or the R-word, retirement - afterwards.

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
while on the topic of players who have stuck with one single club for an entire career... anyone else besides maldini you can name? ryan giggs for man united instantly comes to mind but besides that?

but back on topic i dont mind maldini carrying on the mantle for milan but should his form drop significantly over age, his selection in 1st team may actually be a hindrance of progress of a younger/promising player...

I'd actually like to see kaladze get more competitive matches...last season he has done the job whenever called upon and can hardly be faulted...

kenichy

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
fowler, maradona, pirlo
if maldini continues to play on the left then he will probably retire in 8 months from now because he will be too dam tired. maldini had an awesome 2003/2004 season. first, because he quit the azurri so he only focused on milan and second because he played in the center and didnt have to run as much. the guy is too old to be running up and down the flank and playing every single game.

seriously i see him playing 4 more years and being a bench warmer for the last 3.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
He has too much class to be a bench warmer + you are specting him to retire at 42? The end will be in the 06-07(he has already stated it), he may get some games on the bench during that season, but never will be his place.
More than Maldini's, I believe Stam is the one preventing a guy like Kaladze grow, since Stam came here, Maldini had to move to the left wing(which every 20 games he can play, but not every damn match), so Kaladze lost his spot. We can afford to have 2 over 30 players on defense. But we have 3 players above their mid 30's + Nesta is 29. And on bench we have an almost 40 dude, and some players that almost never play(Simic). Get rid of Simic, bring a young good defense. If we can this year, get rid of Stam bring other young good defense(a right wing).

yonggoh said:
while on the topic of players who have stuck with one single club for an entire career... anyone else besides maldini you can name? ryan giggs for man united instantly comes to mind but besides that?
Francesco Totti has always play for Roma, and is from the youth sides of Roma. Raul has always play for Madrid, but is from the youth sides of Atletico Madrid.

Don Dada

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I think we can be very sure that Maldini will play next season. After that tho, i hope he really thinks about it before he continues. I love him but thats why i'd rather have him go on a high and be the first soccer player to get his Jersey retired.(Not aware of it been done anywhere).

:dance:

Last edited:

sirpecks

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Dida, Maldini, weah, baresi
We need John Terry from Chelsea he obvously gonna be the new malidini and i would pay the full asking price of £50m cos he s young and amazingly reat and full of potential!

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
sirpecks said:
We need John Terry from Chelsea he obvously gonna be the new malidini and i would pay the full asking price of £50m cos he s young and amazingly reat and full of potential!
John Terry, WTF?! :conf: :head:

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
The Captain is gonna lead through whole of the next season, and hopefully the season succeeding it too (his contract is ill 2007). Considering the great Paolo's fitness, we can safely opine that he will sontinue to weave his sageless charm for two more seasons, naybe less frequently though. I'd love to see him hold alof the Scudetto and the CL in Paris.....can't imagine Milan without Maldini...

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Don Dada said:
I think we can be very sure that Maldini will play next season. After that tho, i hope he really thinks about it before he continues. I love him but thats why i'd rather have him go on a high and be the first soccer player to get his Jersey retired.(Not aware of it been done anywhere).

Don Dada dude, the legendary Franco Baresi took his jersey number with him too (no. 6). It was a fitting tribute to a legend and Iam sure Milan r gona give the same honour to Maldini too.

Yan Dao

La Bandiera
Reaction score
Italian Tsar said:
can't imagine Milan without Maldini...
I guess I can. I guess it will be more bearable for me compared to seeing van Basten and Baresi leave in the past.

Klelia22

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I think that everyone just started guessing about Paolo´s retirement but no one ever answered Lili´s question... the question is: if there is a retirement game, will the AC Milan society tell in advance about it, so the crazy fans (like Lili and myself) could buy tickets and plan their trip with time? or usually those just happen at last moment or at the last game of their last season?

if anyone knows what usually happens when players retire in Italy, we would REALLY appreaciate it

sincerely two crazy Paolo´s mexican fans

Klelia and Lili

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
sirpecks said:
u donn t know who he is or r u stunned!?
Not that I don't know him, I just can't imagine him playing for Milan. That's weird...

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yonggoh said:
I'd actually like to see kaladze get more competitive matches...last season he has done the job whenever called upon and can hardly be faulted...
Well, that won't happen with Milan anymore. Yesterday he confirmed that he's jumping ship.

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
BMWTaylor said:
Well, that won't happen with Milan anymore. Yesterday he confirmed that he's jumping ship.
I'm not so sure about Kaladze leaving Milan...

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
I think Maldini has to retire at the end of the 2005-2006. I don't want to see another fall like that of Baresi when Juve beat us 6-1. Great players like Maldini have to know when to quit and leave the stadium with the head high.

Reaction score
Who Better Than The Original

we all know the captain paolo maldini a living legend perhaps the best defender ever period. but as much as i hate to say it how long as he got left he continues to suprise me how great and amazing his performences are EVERY TIME he plays he is such a important player, milan are talking of retiring his shirt number after his retirement i love maldini and i hope the day will never come for him to retire but who will carry on the role of maldini i think maldini s son will take this role just like his father and grand father this would be a joy to see happen i hope you all agree.

Don Dada

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Im pretty sure there's a thread on this somewhere...This is something we've talked about a lot on this forum. Not to burst ur bubble or anything but a search would be a good idea b4 u make a thread.

milan*7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Nesta
Too late to start another thread since there's already 54 posts as of now. ;)
As for Maldini, it would've been a great send-off if we'd won the CL. Oh well, I guess he'll have to stick around until we do. ;) :D

THE MALDINESTA

Lovin' Carin' N Nursin'
Reaction score
Fav. Players
To many to mention, just see the nickname ;)
Buon Compleanno, Il Capitano

I just wonder,do ppl start to forget our beloved capitano's BD?

[highlight]BUON COMPLEANNO,CAPITANO[/HIGHLIGHT]
Happy belated day...and many happy return.
Dream of seeing your best again, at least for the last.
But no matter what...we still proud of you,and love you so.
I can't imagine...how many eyes will swell the day you'd leave us :proud:

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
Happiest of Birthdays, il Capitano!

I haven't forgotten, the 26th has just started here. He's one of the reasons for my love of Milan and I hope he stays many more years with us.

Dil dil

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan players espacially Maldini-Inzaghi
Maldini

Today is june 26 which is Maldini Birthday so I want to
tell him Happy birthday our great captin and many many Good return
we all thank for what you did and do for Milan . we all love you and respect you but I love and respect you most. your are great captin and wonderful
person . you are the king of Milan and my heart oh what I say
all the words in world is not enough to talk about you. I wish this birthday
will best for you.I always wish you all happines with your beautiful family
sure God love Italy when he creats you

Last edited:

Oma_B

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SHEVA,BLOKHIN,Rui, Maldini, Okocha, Ronny D, Hagi, Cryuff, MVB, Belanov n Yashin
Dil dil said:
Today is june 26 which is Maldini Birthday so I want to
tell him Happy birthday our great captin and many many Good return
we all thank for what you did and do for Milan . we all love you and respect you but I love and respect you most. your are great captin and wonderful
person . you are the qeen of Milan and my heart oh what I say
all the words in world is not enough to take about you. I wish this birthday
will best for you.I always wish you all happines with your beautiful family
sure God love Italy when he creat you
Yes exactly what he said above lol wow, the Queen hey? would've thought he was the King? :conf:

Nesta87

Banned
Reaction score
Happy Birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PAOLO MALDINI...
I LOVE U....UR MY FAV PLAYER AND MY IDOL

FORZA AC MILAN

' the difference in leadership styles between javier (zanetti (cap of inter) and maldini is that, is that maldini is a general and javier is a nice guy'
Alcaro Recoba

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
:star: BUON COMPLEANNO,CAPITANO :star:

Cescania

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini
Happy Birthday to my dearest Captain!
Wish you all the best!!!!! :D

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
Cescania, your avatar is the cutest thing!

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Happy 37 b-day Maldini!
Wish you all the best! :D

milan_rockz

=7uckyst4r=
Reaction score
Fav. Players
*kaka* nesta* maldini* pirlo*
happy b'day paolo!! one of the best captain ever....
may all ur wishes come true. hope tat we will win the cups next year before you retire. GBU....