Andrea Bertolacci Thread

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yeah he was quite the softy during his time with us.. His only benefit that Gattuso might possibly like is the versatility, basically it's the same benefit that Borini gives us, except in midfield.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
If Poli could do it under Seedorf, Berto can pull it under Rino.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I would like to see how he plays in the preseason games and then judge him, I think he can be worth more to us than that 5 mil he might be rumored to bring in.

I watched a couple videos on him just to try and jump my memory and I think it's coming back to me a little bit. Injuries definitely ruined his time here and probably stalled his career in general. Not that he had career ending problems, just that you can tell he's the type of player whos confidence was totally shot. He was considered talented for a few seasons, and then he finally put it somewhat together and had a great year at Genoa, which earned a money move to Milan. Then he got hurt, lost his confidence, and probably struggled with the pressure of playing here. He's probably not the mentally strongest player.

Still, he was at least a decent player, and he played 33 games last year. I'm not going to act like I saw him at Genoa a lot, so idk if he's much different. But when we signed him, he was agile and could beat his man, hence the goals and assists he had at Genoa. Injuries/confidence issues made him hesitant to go into challenges and take on players, and that's what did him in here I think. But, he was tidy on the ball and if he can be close to the player I remember, we can use him. Like I said 5 mil is nothing.

Another thing I think is easy to forget but he actually was playing solid for Milan during a heavy stretch of the season in 2016. Mihajlovic played a 442 with Honda and Jack wide of Berto and Monto and he looked decent. He was never the player we expected, so he was rightfully looked down on. But I would take that Berto back tbh. Not at the expense of locatellis minutes though, that's important

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I would like to see how he plays in the preseason games and then judge him, I think he can be worth more to us than that 5 mil he might be rumored to bring in.

I watched a couple videos on him just to try and jump my memory and I think it's coming back to me a little bit. Injuries definitely ruined his time here and probably stalled his career in general. Not that he had career ending problems, just that you can tell he's the type of player whos confidence was totally shot. He was considered talented for a few seasons, and then he finally put it somewhat together and had a great year at Genoa, which earned a money move to Milan. Then he got hurt, lost his confidence, and probably struggled with the pressure of playing here. He's probably not the mentally strongest player.

Still, he was at least a decent player, and he played 33 games last year. I'm not going to act like I saw him at Genoa a lot, so idk if he's much different. But when we signed him, he was agile and could beat his man, hence the goals and assists he had at Genoa. Injuries/confidence issues made him hesitant to go into challenges and take on players, and that's what did him in here I think. But, he was tidy on the ball and if he can be close to the player I remember, we can use him. Like I said 5 mil is nothing.

Another thing I think is easy to forget but he actually was playing solid for Milan during a heavy stretch of the season in 2016. Mihajlovic played a 442 with Honda and Jack wide of Berto and Monto and he looked decent. He was never the player we expected, so he was rightfully looked down on. But I would take that Berto back tbh. Not at the expense of locatellis minutes though, that's important

I would not. I would say "Thank You Genoa" and go away with 5 million. We are not even going to recoup 50% of what we paid. Even at his best Bertolacci is just a Bonaventura wannabe. Crafty (gets you FKs) but defensively offers you nothing, offensively may offer you a single good pass every 10 games but nothing more. I do not know what Rino can do with him but the only positive right now is that he is not an expense. On the other hand Jose Mauri still here too so ………………….

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i thought, defensively he was ok. at least from few matches and highlights that i saw of him. some of his games, he was on early hakan level and others were ok(when whole team was doing well and were on a good run).

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Jokes aside, good to see that old Berto isn't in the reckoning for us yet although the season is new.

IIRC he played regista for Montella so would be interesting for Rino to experiment against Coppa/EL teams seeing as we have no cover in that position. Would be important to test if Bertolacci can be an option in the event of suspensions and injuries.

If there was no other choice, I'm not sure whether he or Monto would be better, or would it be better to just give up and use a double pivot with Bakayoko and Kessie - Bakayoko played his best forward in a double pivot with Fabinho at Monaco, but what would Rino go for?

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Happy to wipe the slate clean with Bertolacci, the guy was struck down by injury in his time here and was here at a time of discomfort for the club. Not expecting a 20m player just expecting him to play his role when he’s called upon and if Gattuso believes he can play a role for this club then I believe so too.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Jokes aside, good to see that old Berto isn't in the reckoning for us yet although the season is new.

IIRC he played regista for Montella so would be interesting for Rino to experiment against Coppa/EL teams seeing as we have no cover in that position. Would be important to test if Bertolacci can be an option in the event of suspensions and injuries.

If there was no other choice, I'm not sure whether he or Monto would be better, or would it be better to just give up and use a double pivot with Bakayoko and Kessie - Bakayoko played his best forward in a double pivot with Fabinho at Monaco, but what would Rino go for?

thought gattuso would bring him in instead of bakayoko.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Happy to wipe the slate clean with Bertolacci, the guy was struck down by injury in his time here and was here at a time of discomfort for the club. Not expecting a 20m player just expecting him to play his role when he’s called upon and if Gattuso believes he can play a role for this club then I believe so too.

Would be great if Berto turned out to be a useful squad player, covering for the midfield three when required. I remember having high hopes for him. Harder to totally wipe the slate clean for me when we could have bought someone else but would like all our players to do well.

thought gattuso would bring him in instead of bakayoko.

And Berto would have had more of a pre-season with the team compared to Bakayoko. Either Bakayoko looked better in training or Rino saw Berto as a sub for the LCM and probably RCM and Bakayoko for the regista role and maybe RCM. After the Napoli "defects" comment maybe Berto will see some action for better or worse, hopefully for better.

Interesting to see how we line up in the Coppa/EL.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
DSC03777.png

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Prefer Montolivo in the line up instead of him. He really is garbage.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Lololol fodder in HD

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
He is a legend to behold :star:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Respect for conduct vs Lazio. Jumped in like a teammate you want to have. Club should pay his fine.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Respect for conduct vs Lazio. Jumped in like a teammate you want to have. Club should pay his fine.

what fine?

Btw, I feel the club and Rino have been a bit unfair towards him. If we didn't plan to use him, why not give him back to Genoa? He'd get playing time and we'd get at least some money back.

Really weird.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
what fine?

10k. He, Kessie, Musacchio (and Lucas, Luis Felipe, Patric?) all got it for the melee after final whistle.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Just realized this guy is without a club.

When he should be entering his prime.

Sure we were a shit show, but some of it certainly has to come down to himself

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Just realized this guy is without a club.

When he should be entering his prime.

Sure we were a shit show, but some of it certainly has to come down to himself

Injuries took its toll on his body. He was a good player before that. Certainly useful for coaches like Gasperini.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Injuries took its toll on his body. He was a good player before that. Certainly useful for coaches like Gasperini.

I hated Bertolacci for his performances, physique and general vibe when at Milan. At the same time I feel sorry for how it turned out for him, so many people (including me) disliking you deeply because you didn't do well kicking a piece of leather on grass.

Probably just a nice beta dude.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I hated Bertolacci for his performances, physique and general vibe when at Milan. At the same time I feel sorry for how it turned out for him, so many people (including me) disliking you deeply because you didn't do well kicking a piece of leather on grass.

Probably just a nice beta dude.

yeah, but at the same time, he got paid more than others get in their lifetime... for being pretty bad at kicking a piece of leather on grass