Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
5 fecking defenders?

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Hakan back is monumental. Essential for the Derby in a few weeks.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Looks like we close to our strongest lineup again . We’ve done a fantastic job to get through difficult times with so many starters out. Time to get back into a long unbeaten streak again.

So fucking happy to have Hakan and Bennacer back they are sooooo crucial for us!

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree that we are in need of a performance boost and probably a big result, but I think next week will be that time. That way we can go into the derby confident and probably a lot fresher than inter.

Bennacer and Hakan coming back is awesome but they will need a couple games to back up to speed. Really glad we play two lower teams so they don’t have to be forced back in. Our ball movement has been so one dimensional without them.

The players I do want to see have a good game are theo and rebic. Leao has gotten better this season so we haven’t missed him as much, but Rebic can do better. He gets a pass for all the injuries and time missed, and early on he was still pressing and getting assists. But we’re just so much better when he’s scoring and threatening like last season. Hopefully his goal last week helps. And Theo has looked super rusty as well, he’s been giving the ball up a lot earlier in the build up rather than carrying the ball.

Benny and Hakan get a couple weeks to work it out but the rest of them need to step up I think.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Hakan & Rebic usually take time to brush off the rust after an injury so its understandable why Leao started over Rebic & Hakan not fully shining in this game.
Patient lads....

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Hakan & Rebic usually take time to brush off the rust after an injury so its understandable why Leao started over Rebic & Hakan not fully shining in this game.
Patient lads....
We give them 3 more weeks. Vs Inter we need all guns blazing.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Damn look at that starting XI :eek:

I would prefer Rebic over Leao, but Leao has been playing so well lately I understand it?s tough to bench him. We ask a lot of Kessie to help cover for both Leao and Theo when Rebic isn?t played.

Kessie was born to be asked tough assignments.

Last edited:

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thinking that we will have Kessie-Bennacer-Hakan starting

PMz3ebq.gif

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
We have to try something atleast for 45'. Milan has the squad to play with more volume at the attack and more solid defensively. The way it is now.. we play for 15' and got neutralized.

I hate the 3 defenders idea, but its just to give Theo more freedom, Leao floating around the striker in the last game was good too.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We have to try something atleast for 45'. Milan has the squad to play with more volume at the attack and more solid defensively. The way it is now.. we play for 15' and got neutralized.

I hate the 3 defenders idea, but its just to give Theo more freedom, Leao floating around the striker in the last game was good too.

I don't understand, what's the problem?

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I would like to see Kessie rested next week before the derby, or at least come off early in both matches. This is the perfect time to get all the key players fresh

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players

No.
Our formula is working , result ,& style wise.
We just missed the ingrediants.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
I don't understand, what's the problem?

Theo thing and more volume attacking and defensive solidness.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Read his posts in the Pioli thread.
It will all make sense.

Just did that and I think i'm going to have a stroke. I can't believe anyone can dare think that about Pioli, who is known for a fact to be on fire.

Ok, so Australiano1980 you want Theo to have more freedom? Well, isn't our entire frickin' gameplan designed to free Theo from deep? Teams have tried to exploit it but really only Chiesa managed to do it, mainly because we had Calabria in midfield and eventually had to sub in primavera players while 200m worth of talent subbed in for Juve.

In case you missed it, here's our general strategy:

We play a very asymmetric 4231, with Theo and a forward on the left, and Calabria and Saelemaekers on the right, to balance the high positioning of both Theo and the left forward. This means Saelemaekers usually starts a lot narrower and has to constantly shift horizontally to press, which is very tiring. Kessie does a lot of work also to cover behind Theo who is usually positioned extremely high for a left back. You see this sometimes when Kessie moves the the left back zone during our build up. This also allows Theo to underlap if he wants to without worrying that he's leaving space behind. Kessie started last season as the RCM, but shifted to LCM in order to protect Theo. Bennacer's job is to get the ball from the defence, turn and pass the ball forward. Since we msotly build from the right, that means that the opposition is pulled towards the ball leaving space for Theo to run into. Bennacer's task here is to play this long diagonal to Theo into space. Notice this when we build next time, we pull the opposition to the right, then Bennacer quickly launches the ball into Theo's run, maybe through Hakan.

Notice how every little adjustment to the 4231 is in order to free Theo and maximize the damage he can inflict? One more, our inside forward is a high pressing player that loves to cut inside, which, you guessed, allows Theo to overlap into space usually while the opposition is disoriented after a successful high press.

On paper we play a 4231, but really we're playing a very distorted version of if it and one of our strongest weapons is how we squeeze teams out of shape in order to allow Theo to run with the ball. We don't need to play him as a wingback to let him do his thing, Pioli is not Conte. He's better and he's on fire.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think Theo is better suited to starting from a deeper position anyway, people need to get it out of their heads of him playing as a wide back in a 352 or even as a straight up winger.

He looks a lot better picking up the ball near the halfway line, accumulating speed and bursting forward. He’s like a train that gains momentum and power, and when someone’s running at you full speed you have to go in for a hard challenge and it’s why he wins so many fouls. He’s great at doing that down the line and heading toward the box.

If he starts further up the field, he will be receiving the ball with a defender closer to him, with less space to gain momentum and attack. The system now is built to benefit him and it’s the best one for him

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Just did that and I think i'm going to have a stroke. I can't believe anyone can dare think that about Pioli, who is known for a fact to be on fire.

Ok, so Australiano1980 you want Theo to have more freedom? Well, isn't our entire frickin' gameplan designed to free Theo from deep? Teams have tried to exploit it but really only Chiesa managed to do it, mainly because we had Calabria in midfield and eventually had to sub in primavera players while 200m worth of talent subbed in for Juve.

We play a very asymmetric 4231, with Theo and a forward on the left, and Calabria and Saelemaekers on the right, to balance the high positioning of both Theo and the left forward. This means Saelemaekers usually starts a lot narrower and has to constantly shift horizontally to press, which is very tiring. Kessie does a lot of work also to cover behind Theo who is usually positioned extremely high for a left back. You see this sometimes when Kessie moves the the left back zone during our build up. This also allows Theo to underlap if he wants to without worrying that he's leaving space behind. Kessie started last season as the RCM, but shifted to LCM in order to protect Theo. Bennacer's job is to get the ball from the defence, turn and pass the ball forward. Since we msotly build from the right, that means that the opposition is pulled towards the ball leaving space for Theo to run into. Bennacer's task here is to play this long diagonal to Theo into space. Notice this when we build next time, we pull the opposition to the right, then Bennacer quickly launches the ball into Theo's run, maybe through Hakan.

Notice how every little adjustment to the 4231 is in order to free Theo and maximize the damage he can inflict? One more, our inside forward is a high pressing player that loves to cut inside, which, you guessed, allows Theo to overlap into space usually while the opposition is disoriented after a successful high press.

On paper we play a 4231, but really we're playing a very distorted version of if it and one of our strongest weapons is how we squeeze teams out of shape in order to allow Theo to run with the ball. We don't need to play him as a wingback to let him do his thing, Pioli is not Conte. He's better and he's on fire.

Great post :thumbsup:

A good example of how on paper the same formation can play entirely differently depending on the tactical makeup of the players.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Going to need this match to shake off some of the rust for players like Hakan, Bennacer, and Rebic. These 3 IMO need to be starting at top condition when we meet Inter shortly. Rebic is incredibly important as Theo has by far the best chemistry with him and Theo only ever really has a lights out game when Rebic is with him on the left.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Going to need this match to shake off some of the rust for players like Hakan, Bennacer, and Rebic. These 3 IMO need to be starting at top condition when we meet Inter shortly. Rebic is incredibly important as Theo has by far the best chemistry with him and Theo only ever really has a lights out game when Rebic is with him on the left.

Rebic puts us over the top when he is on form. It is like giving Theo a star in Mario Kart, and Rebic opens up so much space and finds himself open all the time. Would be so sweet if he could match his 12 goal second half of the season from last year.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli

I think some people have forgot how good Rebic was in the second half of last season. We need him back on top form.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers

this guy gets it. probably one of your best posts

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Someone tell your boy this isn’t another 6:00AM Pacific Standard Time kickoff on a gosh darn Sunday damnit

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

:thumbsup:
Isn't it ironic? Accusing Pioli of being too predictable, one-dimensional and plain, while proposing something that is actually predictable, one-dimensional and plain and failing to recognize how Pioli's system actually works?

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
Seems like ages since our last match :lol:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
this guy gets it. probably one of your best posts
Thanks!

:thumbsup:
Isn't it ironic? Accusing Pioli of being too predictable, one-dimensional and plain, while proposing something that is actually predictable, one-dimensional and plain and failing to recognize how Pioli's system actually works?

I can sort of understand it though. Most people don't really watch games in the way where you can notice these patterns. Most people are distracted now, on their phones or whatever and only really focus when sometime interesting is happening. I can see how that kind of person can make assumptions about we play and link Theo's performance to a simple understanding of a 4231. If you don't notice all the things we're doing then it's easy to just say 'play him as a wingback!' to make him even more dangerous.

Let's indulge the idea for a second, playing him there means we have to add another CB. So who do we sacrifice? Saelemaekers and just play two forwards? Hakan and play two midfielders? Whatever compromise you make will completely break the team dynamic. It might work but it won't be the same strategy we currently have, a strategy that has proven extremely successful now for more than a year. Why change something that isn't broken?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

FORZA MILAN!

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
@AZ

:lol::lol: We'll save this for inter/juve.
And to hear the lamentation of their women