Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Hey Neruda... keep being you brother :)

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Our forwards looked like kids next to Godin. Stop bitching about Skriniar, Godin is Inter's best defender, he bossed the game tonight.

It's between him and Barella for the mvp.

I think he bossed only until GP finally put Hernandez, Paqueta and Rebic on the field.

Before he had to desl with RR, Hakan and Leao. Mesning with RRs non existent offensive game and Hakan playing even worde than his ususl mediocre standards, Godon in reality only had to desl with Leao. Leao was good last night, but it‘s been a tough fight on his ownbagainst one of the most experienced CBs out there.

Once Godon got to deal with Paqueta, Rebic and especially Teo, he got exposed in two or three situations. Especially towards the end where he gabe away an essy ball to Rebic.

So yeah, I hope GP learns that he can‘t rely on RR and Hakan on that left side. Our attacker will always look toothless on his ow against basically all of Serie As defenders. I mesn that is what the previews three games already proofed, didn‘t they?

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Did you even watch Giampaolo's Sampdoria, or are you only going by "he plays 4-3-1-2"?

His "system" at Sampdoria can roughly be summed up as a very attack-minded midfield/attack that's supposed to be balanced by a very cautious back-4(but it didn't, the back-4 were overburdened and they finished every season with a horrible defensive record).

It's comparable to Giampaolo's, except he tries to offset it with 3 CBs(and he pulls it off, most of the time).

If GP had RR & Theo at Sampdoria then he'd probably pick RR for LB.

Calabria isn't any worse than what he had at Sampdoria(Bereszyński/Murru).

Get real. This team isn't a trequartista or fullback away from ticking.

We don't even have a CF or SS that excel at linkup play, to warrant such a narrow formation.

The midfield-3 is also not good enough to compensate for weaknesses in other departments.

There was no way all that would change in one summer.

Giampaolo was a horrible fit for this squad. But he hasn't been hard done by either. His work at Sampdoria should not have earned him that Milan contract. His system isn't optimal even for a squad that can handle a narrow formation like 4-3-1-2.

The sensible thing to do now would be to filter out the ones who can't cope with high intensity and the ones who slow down transitions. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, whatever, as long as it's not narrow.

That means Suso & RR out. Biglia also needs to be upgraded. Hopefully by Bennacer, but I wouldn't be so sure that it fits him(being a good anchor is more than just moving the ball forward). Otherwise go for a double-pivot system.

Good point. Just some days ago I read a tacticsl analysis by one who studied GPs teams and tactics very closely in recent years (amonst other Serie A teams ofc). Can‘t find the link anymore. I think his name was Bottoni or sth like that.

What he‘s basically saying is that if someone showed him out first three games and asked him whi the cosch of this team is, he would say for sure not GP. Because what this team is playing is in many cases the exact opposite of what GPs teams usually do. For example the attackers: when one attacker drips to midfield, the other attacker and CAM uses the created space and runs forward into it. In his teams the MS and the SS often cross their runs to create confusion.

Now how often do you see Suso exploiting the space of Piatek when he drops (sth he doesn’t like to do, which is not hard to oversee)?

There were other examples. High pishing FBs for example runing down the line instead of runing to the center or not runing at all into spaces like RR and to a lesser extent Calabria. Ot the CDM being a player who always moves between the attacking lines to glue defence and attack, while Biglia tends to drop so deep that he‘s basically a third CB. Or Kessie doing the work when it comes to physicality and holding the midfield, but not at all at finding the smart passes or when he passes then more often than not unprecise and in the back of his teammate who needs to interrupt his run so he can stop the ball.

Who‘s to blame?

IMO both players and coach. Because on one hand it’s GP who insists on playing Biglia and Kessie and Suso for example instead of using Bennacer, Krunic, Jack or Leao/Rebic (won’t call Theo as he‘s been injured) who fit the demands of GPs system basically perfectly. But yeah on the other hand the players playin on the pitch should listen way more closely to what GP asks them to do instead of playing like 11 individuals. Meaning that GP can try to implement his system as long as he wants but it won’t help anything if the players are too dumb or stubborn to listen.

The management in this case has the least amount of blame to put on. IMO they gave him the right profiles to pöay his system. Obviously no world beaters, but the reasons why we can’t afford better players who demand CL football and wages don’t need to be discussed any further.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I fully expected inter to win. I didn't expect 0 shots and no passion or heart. Loser performance from most of our players besides Donnarumma.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Seriously you need to chill with this inter 24/7 dick sucking neruda

We had more opportunities against Inter than our other games - you would think he'd be sucking off Udine and Hellas CB's :lol::lol::lol:

whiterabbit

Galliani sucks big time
Reaction score
Is the plaque gone? This is a problem Milan had for years, we don’t know when to say enough you’re just not the one for me

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Too bad noone told Slavia Prague that Inter are unplayable.

Arrogant bastards drew Inter in an away match. :head:

Nirvana

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Were there any post match interview comments from management or GP?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Were there any post match interview comments from management or GP?

Marco Giampaolo insists the only difference between Inter and Milan was “experience and we had been able to bridge that gap to a certain degree.”

“We were too hesitant at the start, then as the game progressed, Inter showed their greater experience,” the tactician told DAZN.

“The goal broke the deadlock and I was not happy to see that we reacted in an emotional way, so became less organised and less united.

“Milan were in the game throughout and only had that slight gap in terms of experience, which we had been able to bridge to a certain degree.

“Players were going into areas of the pitch they were not supposed to be in, so when losing the ball, we left gaps uncovered. I hadn’t minded the performance, as playing high we needed to run some risks and that is a choice we made. Sitting back and trying to play on the counter would’ve been a waste of energy.

“I liked the courage to keep pushing the ball forward and that lasted up until the opening goal, when we lost our shape. That showed a lack of maturity.”

Giampaolo surprised everyone by picking Rafael Leao in the starting XI, when the 20-year-old Portuguese striker had played only 15 minutes against Udinese in August.

“Leao is a good player, he is fast, agile and has skill. I thought his pace could cause problems for the Inter defence. He must learn to stay in the game throughout.

“Diego Godin up against him, for example, is a difference in experience. The good thing is that Leao is not a timid player, by any means.”

we lack experience

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Giampaolo lacks experience

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Giampaolo is lacking :o

I remember in the off-season when a bunch of us complained that we looked like shit and ppl laughed it off.

Now we're knee deep in srs calcio and things couldn't be worse.
At least in the preseason we got to score some nice goals due to more relaxed defenses.

Yeah Suso is A problem but not THE problem.
The skills and abilities he showcased to get to goal on the counter attack were incredible....but he made a horrible decision. He went for personal glory instead of getting the business done.
Give that ball to ANYONE ahead of him and we'd almost certainly have a goal.

A no-nonsese coach would have benched his ass immediately to make a statement.... instead he hoped that the same Suso would have saved his ass again... again loser mentality.

If Suso uses his incredible skills for the TEAM instead of himself I guarantee we'd be much further ahead.... instead the whole team is fucked because of his actions (especially Piatek). The irony is that if he plays more simply and less selfishly....he'd actually have more goals and assists :fp:

remote2book

Sea206
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Inzaghi, kaka, T.silva, seedorf

I remember in the off-season when a bunch of us complained that we looked like shit and ppl laughed it off.

At least in the preseason we got to score some nice goals due to more relaxed defenses.

The skills and abilities he showcased to get to goal on the counter attack were incredible....but he made a horrible decision. He went for personal glory instead of getting the business done.

A no-nonsese coach would have benched his ass immediately to make a statement.... instead he hoped that the same Suso would have saved his ass again... again loser mentality.

If Suso uses his incredible skills for the TEAM instead of himself I guarantee we'd be much further ahead.... instead the whole team is fucked because of his actions (especially Piatek). The irony is that if he plays more simply and less selfishly....he'd actually have more goals and assists :fp:

Agree 100% especially about benching his ass after not making the pass, make him fuking think about that decision, and next time he will think twice before being selfish

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Krunic joined the squad earlier in the summer right? Is he not “getting” GPs tactics either?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Krunic was carrying an injury through the summer, which had made him miss the last few Empoli matches. But he seemed fully fit for Bosnia last week. He definitely needs to start getting playing time now.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score

People keep discussing that one Suso moment but we lost by 2 goals and could have lost by 4-5.

Like someone mentioned here - if half of hour players look like shit, the problem is the coach.
Suso has his limitations, Piatek has his limitations, but we lack organization, can't create shit and are vulnerable in defense.

Gattuso knew dick about tactics and still had this team playing better than they do now. Without Leao, Bennancer, etc.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The team isn’t playing in any specific way now, and that’s exactly the issue. If you look at the preseason matches, especially the one against Man Utd, there was a clear style emerging. So what changed? I have no clue.

I really want guys like Bennacer, Krunic and Rebic to be starting now. They are still much more suited to the possession style that we want to do, as opposed to Suso or Kessie or even Paqueta. That’s where Giampaolo needs to decisively change his mind. He seems to be caught between playing the old guard (who don’t particularly fit what he’s asking them to do), and in hesitating to change the tactics to suit their strengths.

If he’s going to go down, he should do so with players more suited to his style of football. Not with Suso.
Or even more decisively, bench Piatek. It’s painful watching him struggle to adapt to a style completely unused to his strengths.

Why can’t be start with Leao and Rebic with Paqueta behind them.

Whatever he chooses to do, for the sake of his job Giampaolo needs to shed anyone who can’t naturally do what he wants them to do on the pitch.

I don't have as much sympathy for Giampaolo. I rather see him do what's best for Milan.

Piatek is a very poor fit for the "Quagliarella role", but I'm not sure Leao is any better. He's fast, he's a good dribbler, but I don't see any CF tendencies. There's no goal scorer in any of the possible trident combinations with Leao, Rebic, Suso, Samu, Paq, Hakan. It's not worthwhile.

As for the Man Utd game, I think much of it was down to it being only a friendly - and a short beautiful sequence(Suso goal) caused by a stupid De Gea pass which glossed over the rest of the performance.
Manure players didn't seem as motivated as Milan's. And they were moving up the team - without pressing. We haven't seen such an open game since. Only the derby comes close, and that was also the most "lively" performance since the Manure friendly.
The friendly against Cesena 2 weeks later was the complete opposite. Cesena treated it like a Serie A game. And the Milan players looked as static and toothless as in these first games of the season.
I'd say it's all the same style, and not a particularly developed one. The outcome depends on the circumstances.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
TORINO – MILAN Giovedì 26/09 h. 21.00
GUIDA
CARBONE – PERETTI
IV: VALERI
VAR: MARIANI
AVAR: DEL GIOVANE

jurinius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Cafu Boban Pirlo Inzaghi Shevchenko Leonardo Van Basten Ambrosini
People keep discussing that one Suso moment but we lost by 2 goals and could have lost by 4-5.

Like someone mentioned here - if half of hour players look like shit, the problem is the coach.
Suso has his limitations, Piatek has his limitations, but we lack organization, can't create shit and are vulnerable in defense.

Gattuso knew dick about tactics and still had this team playing better than they do now. Without Leao, Bennancer, etc.
Yep the problem is for people who see that shit from Suso now. they see like it is one occasion, for us it is millions occasions forgotten cause he scored a soloist goal in da game.

Piatek (Who score that brace vs Napoli) has limitations, Cutrone has limitations, Silva has limitations, Higuain has limitations, u can bring Icardi, he will have limitations playing with Suso the Maestro...

hopetorture

Primavera
Reaction score

what do u expect to create with biglia, hakan, kessie midfield, with rr storming through the wing :lol:seriously. we didn't create shit last year either. we were solid in defense, piatek had crazy conversion rate too. and we also had baka.
this midfield has no awareness, no off the ball movement. noway this is a top4 midfield. same shit at jube, albeit levels above us. matuidi and khedira cant play sarriball either. if it wasnt for their fbs and wingers, they would be static too.
not getting a tq for giampaolo was such a bad decision.

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score
what do u expect to create with biglia, hakan, kessie midfield, with rr storming through the wing :lol:seriously. we didn't create shit last year either. we were solid in defense, piatek had crazy conversion rate too. and we also had baka.
this midfield has no awareness, no off the ball movement. noway this is a top4 midfield. same shit at jube, albeit levels above us. matuidi and khedira cant play sarriball either. if it wasnt for their fbs and wingers, they would be static too.
not getting a tq for giampaolo was such a bad decision.

yeah, exactly

what the fuck happened to bakayoko though?

he wasnt considered worthy of paying the money? and he ended up at ligue unh relegation side monacao:fp:

he's 5 classes above biglia, by far our best midfielder last year...