The Cricket Thread

Who's the player of the decade?

• Total voters

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
no probs.

if cricket is my religion sachin is my god :)

dru what happened you are busy these days? or your life sucks? that post in tell me something about myself.......

can you cut the crap of merda with tendulkar i cant argue against you

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
drucurl said:
I was just trying to piss off nerd :D
My initial comment was just to piss you off too :D

I'm aware that you cant really compare the two - stats wise, i think Sachin edges it, cos i don't think 1.3 runs more per inning really swings it in Lara's favour, and sachins SUPREME century count trumps Lara's any day. I think Lara meant more to West Indian cricket though, than Sachin did to indian - as HUGE as Sachin is, atleast we have been lucky enough to have other players to reply on. The west indies just relied on Lara for huge parts of the last 20 years.
I do think that Sachin doesnt have the best record of playing when we REALLY need him. Hes done it a few times - sharjah, Sydney,Ahmedabad come to mind, but on the whole...if we need to bat out 2 days to save a test, or are chasing 300+ in a one day, Sachin hasnt been the one to deliver. I think Lara might have been better in this regard.

And as far the Sachin Inter thing goes - the LESS consistent, the occasionally brilliant, and less pleasing on the eye, Lara, seems like a better fit for the blue and black jersey :D

And neither have won a WC, so the 'major' titles talk goes into the trash compactor.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
radioactivenerd said:
And as far the Sachin Inter thing goes - the LESS consistent, the occasionally brilliant, and less pleasing on the eye, Lara, seems like a better fit for the blue and black jersey
exactly europe aside Milan is FAR less consistent than Inter.....we're waaaay more brilliant when we actually want to play though ;) Hence Lara=Milan :o
radioactivenerd said:
And neither have won a WC, so the 'major' titles talk goes into the trash compactor.
Yeah you kinda got me there W.I won the WC without Lara.....but hey we were top of the world with him :D

ριρρσ мισ

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zola, Chiesa, Inzaghi, Buffon, Kaka, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Paloschi, Serginho, Borriello
Krejza finished with 12 wickets for the match on debut. Fourth highest wicket taking feat on debut. =)

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
ριρρσ мισ said:
Krejza finished with 12 wickets for the match on debut. Fourth highest wicket taking feat on debut. =)
he also gave up 350+ runs in the test, which is the second worst performance in the history of test cricket, and the worst in india. The previous record holder for the most runs conceded in a test match in India was the 'legendary' Shane Warne ;)

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
radioactivenerd said:
he also gave up 350+ runs in the test, which is the second worst performance in the history of test cricket, and the worst in india. The previous record holder for the most runs conceded in a test match in India was the 'legendary' Shane Warne ;)
He ended up okay =)

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
today i am having tandoori kangaroo :)

nice to see our two legends going out with a good trophy. this is not an australian side they are so noraml. no gillie no warnie no pigeon no symo even no gillespie no langer they are that legendry side( they are best in the world but nothing compared to The Aussie side of last decade and half).
haydos was out of form and mr. integrity is shit in sub continent.
hussey is simply the best.

anyway nice to see aussies thrashed like this.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hussey is simply incredible...the guy just NEVER looks uncomfortable, no matter what happens. I thought Australia would struggle for a bit after Bevan left, but Hussey is even better if anything.

I was also surprised that we managed to win inspite of the situation we were in at tea-time yesterday. If that had been Steve Waugh's australia, we would have had no chance after giving them that little sniff of victory. Ponting is probably going to have to answer for quite a bit when he gets back, and winning the series against NZ becomes paramount now.

I really hope Dravid doesnt announce his retirement. Out of all the 'big 5', i would want him to keep playing as long as possible. If people like Hayden can play till 38, i dont see why Dravid cant.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
radioactivenerd said:
Hussey is simply incredible...the guy just NEVER looks uncomfortable, no matter what happens. I thought Australia would struggle for a bit after Bevan left, but Hussey is even better if anything.
Absolutely. His determination is something to be shuddered at.

I was also surprised that we managed to win inspite of the situation we were in at tea-time yesterday. If that had been Steve Waugh's australia, we would have had no chance after giving them that little sniff of victory. Ponting is probably going to have to answer for quite a bit when he gets back, and winning the series against NZ becomes paramount now.
I am still waiting to hear what Ponting's got to say about bowling part-timers when the game was within reach, but I am sure he must've had his reasons. While criticising Ponting, let's not forget that he's a decent captain, it's just that he happened to inherit an impotent bowling attack. That said however, a great captain is one who gets the maximum out of the resources available to him. In that sense, I guess Ponting has failed.

I really hope Dravid doesnt announce his retirement. Out of all the 'big 5', i would want him to keep playing as long as possible. If people like Hayden can play till 38, i dont see why Dravid cant.
That's exactly what I am hoping too. Physically he's in fine shape. But his problems seem to be in his head. Self-doubt seems to have crept in and I've never seen his defense in such a bad state. He sure won't be in denial about his problems, but earlier in his career, he used to seek out former legends to correct any mistakes that might've crept into his game. I don't know why he doesn't seem to be doing that now. It can't be arrogance, as he's too intelligent a man to fall for that. Maybe it's a question of motivation. Maybe Kirsten should talk to him much more.

What we cannot afford is banish a player like Rahul to the reserves when you don't get players of his pedigree every 5 or 10 years. Dravid's status as India's greatest matchwinner over the past decade can only be challenged by one man, and that's not Tendulkar. Sachin has not won as many Tests for India as either Dravid or Kumble. The day I see an Indian Test side without Dravid, I'll know my adoloscence has come to an end.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
My goah WI is shit :mad: SEVEN (7) Jamaicans :conf: I think Trinidad should disband from the shitty W.I. and fight to earn our Test status than having to face such a corrupt W.I.C.B I'm so happy that I stopped having anything to do with cricket after what the W.I.C.B did to Lara. Trinidad will grow and we WILL destroy the WICB

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
drucurl said:
My goah WI is shit :mad: SEVEN (7) Jamaicans :conf: I think Trinidad should disband from the shitty W.I. and fight to earn our Test status than having to face such a corrupt W.I.C.B I'm so happy that I stopped having anything to do with cricket after what the W.I.C.B did to Lara. Trinidad will grow and we WILL destroy the WICB
Haven't really followed West Indies cricket for some time, and while i was in america it was impossible to keep up to date with everything - what did i miss about Lara vs WICB?

I watched the highlights for WI vs Pak, and it was really sad. Pak are by no means a good side right now, and WI just werent able to compete in the one game i saw. Seriously, wtf is going to happen once Chanderpaul goes? Sarwan keeps up some hope, but he cant do it all by himself. Cricket really needs a strong Windies. Even a decent Windies would be fine right now. There arent even decently good batsmen like Sherwin Campbell and Roger Harper now. Forget about great ones like Carl Hooper and Richie Richardson. And people like Jimmy Adams who you just cant dislike.

And Ambrose was/is one of my favorite ever bowlers. I remember watching India tour the Windies in like 1995 or something when i was 11, and every single time Ambrose started his run up, i would actually get a little scared that we were gonna lose a wicket. my fear came true quite a few times...we even got bowled out for 81 in one test, chasing 120 for a win. :rolleyes:

Basketball needs to be banned in all the islands :o. Its high time cricket is revived there.

Edit:
On another note, Yuvraj is making the english sorry they ever found a route to India :tongue:

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
England were destroyed 4 -0, i went for bangalore match sehwag is just unbelieveble.

india is superb team now full of quality

sachin
sehwag
gautam gambhir
yuvaraj
dhoni
raina
yousuf pathan
bhajji
munaf
ishanth
zaheer

:eek: :eek: whats this star XI?
i hoped new zealand had all those fast bowlers(half of them are banned) when we tour NZ then we would have a cracker of series now it will be a cakewalk :(

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ashish said:
i hoped new zealand had all those fast bowlers(half of them are banned) when we tour NZ then we would have a cracker of series now it will be a cakewalk :(
I really think Shane Bond was one of the best players in the world when he was at his peak. Its been a long time since NZ has had a top class fast bowler - i mean Chris Cairns was there, but he was never express fast pace that would make the batsman shiver in his boots. Shane Bond had it all, he was the closest thing to Richard Hadlee that they had. Its a shame hes banned - NZ might just have beaten the scumbag aussies had he been there.

I think that our 2 bowlers though are going to be the best fast bowling pair in the world in a year, if Zaheer can keep going. Zaheer + Ishant have the potential of going down in history along side pairs like Lillee+Thomson and Wasim and Waqar. Its just that time isnt on their side - Zaheer will play at his peak for anotheer 2-3 years at most, and Ishant will not even be at his peak by then. I loved the way Zaheer was coaching Ishant all through the game in Blore - reminded me of Imran Khan coaching Wasim Akram in the 92 WC.
There have been some pretty awesome moments in the last couple of series. Of course the aforementioned Zaheer coaching event, and

Dhoni letting Ganguly captain for the last wicket of his career i thought was a VERY classy move. Of course i liked Dhoni till then, but that move has sent him into the top of my list now, just cos of the sheer class and respect he has shown Ganguly, even after Ganguly said stuff like 'some players have changed their hairstyle more than they have played for India'.

I love this game. I had begun to lose touch with it during the 5+ years in america, but im glad im in a country now that appreciates the subtle beauty of cricket.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cricket has to face reality

Thursday 27th November 2008

England are right to go back. Cricket has to bow to reality. Anybody far away from home, however hospitable the conditions, needs to feel happy and wanted. You cannot live in an atmosphere of helplessness. If I was in a country where armed terrorists were searching for people who carry the same passport I do, I would be on the next flight home. Similarly India must not go to Pakistan and I say so aware of how wonderfully hospitable the people of Pakistan have been in the past. But this is not about you and me, our views, our relationships. It is about sinister people.

It has been said that boycotting tours would play into the hands of those that seek to disrupt; that playing on would be akin to thumbing our nose at them. But sportsmen have bats and hockey sticks, and sometimes just a quick pair of legs. They are entertainers. And even in our part of the world, cricket must grow insignificant at times. It is a game that brings a lot of joy and cheer and optimism but it is just a game. It cannot compete with war. If you can, do tell me this is different; that this isnʼt war by another name.

What a pity though. Sport is one of the very very few things that can still unite people and bring a smile to the lips; that can help some of us forget reality, that can make us children again. Delightfully impish and irrational. Maybe art can do that; and literature. And certainly music. But sport goes beyond. It invokes competition, it reminds us of who we are. We grow passionate and we compete and imagine we are sportsmen too. We score every run they do and take every wicket they do and smile sheepishly at our wives when we return the remote some hours later.

But in the end players go home, spectators do too and we switch off our tv sets and go to bed; upset sometimes, disillusioned briefly too but we go home and we rise another day and we wait for the next game. Without sport we would be poorer, woefully poor but in the hierarchy of needs it must cede place to safety, to comfort, to relief; to the thought that you will see your child the next morning. It must never be different for some others are not so lucky. One day we may not be too but till then our priorities must be in the right order. Sport should be played in an atmosphere of joy. You cannot make a painter paint with a gun to his head.

Our reputation has been dented. Visitors to our shores have been shot brazenly and our people too in trying to defend them. Sadly we are creatures of the environment we live in. If there is a drought in the jungle even the lion must leave. So too must we accept the times and the doctrines that surround us. As we benefit so must we pay.

What a pity because we are largely a hospitable people. We support our team and occasionally scream at the opposition; we challenge their way of living sometimes but we bestow great love and sometimes great luxury on them. Hopefully this too shall pass.

And as England head back they will be relieved and contemplative. They didnʼt play great cricket, certainly not as good as they can. If they look back dispassionately, they will realize they were outplayed in the big moments. They did threaten occasionally but seemed to accept too quickly that the going would be tough. They did themselves injustice. That is why I am so keen to see them play in the tests. Hopefully things would have changed by then; the sea-breeze would have taken this stench away and the Brabourne Stadium, such a wonderful home for cricket, will be packed and cheering.

This morning, being with the family was comforting. Popping by to the other bedroom and seeing the boys sleeping calmly suddenly seemed so much more beautiful. It must be the same with everybody. That is why England had the right to make the decision they did. We must welcome them again; give them no quarter on the field, try to beat them but welcome them to our land.

by Harsha Bhogle

india is iraq part 2 :mad:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Why talking about cricket feels out of place in the face of the Mumbai attacks

November 28, 2008

The Taj: not merely a hotel, a symbol of Mumbai's identity © Getty Images

Cricket feels so trivial, so utterly irrelevant now. I have sat for nearly 24 hours before the TV, watching the world's most resilient city engulfed in a terrifying and seemingly never-ending siege. Watching the Taj Mahal hotel burn for two days has felt like living through Mumbai's own 9/11, for the Taj is not merely a five-star hotel, it is a symbol of the city's identity, an iconic link between its rich past and bustling present.

I have watched a city of a million dreams held hostage by 20 or so men who have purged from their souls every trace of humanity - let's not confer on them the dignity of a religion - and I have felt the blood drain out of me.

I have felt a sense of paralysis and rage. My family and I are safe at home, none of my friends were in the hotels, but I am numb, not with fear or personal loss, but something far deeper: a sense of overpowering bleakness.

Through the day I have had a job to do. Mumbai's tragedy has brought serious implications for cricket, and I have spent my time also following the discussions between the cricket boards of India, England and Australia; chatting with colleagues in Brisbane, London and Bangalore; calling English journalists for updates; deciding headlines and story angles. Never has my job felt like such a chore, so meaningless and futile. Rarely have I been as distracted or conflicted.

That England shouldn't play the next two one-dayers should have been a no-brainer. Middlesex and Western Australia needn't have bothered making explanations. Sport is not bigger than life, not even in a country where it is said to be the religion.

I should perhaps be writing a piece assessing the impact of the terrorist attack on Indian cricket, and consequently on the global cricket ecosystem. But I can't bring myself to. I feel compelled, instead, to write this. I am not sure if Cricinfo has any use for this. I will let my colleagues make the call. It's been that kind of a day.

I was on the streets of Bombay covering the communal riots in 1992, and the serial bomb blasts in 1993. I have seen a mob with swords chase a man and sever his arm from his body; I have seen rioters set an old man alight after garlanding him with car tyres; and I have faced the prospect of being burnt alive myself. For days I left home kissing my small child goodbye with thoughts of the worst. Those days return to haunt me sometimes even today.

But somehow I felt I understood what was happening then. I couldn't relate to it, but I understood the thirst for retaliation and revenge, the hatred and the frenzy that temporarily consumed ordinary people. I even wondered about a foreseeable future when I could sit down with some of the rioters and talk about what drove them to such madness.

That England shouldn't play the next two one-dayers should have been a no-brainer. Middlesex and Western Australia needn't have bothered making explanations. Sport is not bigger than life, not even in a country where it is said to be the religion

But this is simply beyond my comprehension. Every time I see the photograph of the young man - who looks not a lot older than my son - dressed in jeans and t-shirt, carrying a machine gun as casually as a satchel on his shoulder, bearing a sinister glee in his eyes, I am reminded of Barack Obama's words about the killers of 9/11: "My powers of empathy, my ability to reach into another's heart, cannot penetrate the blank stares of those who would murder innocents with such serene satisfaction."

Through the day, I haven't been able to cast aside the thought that to even discuss the impact of England's abandonment of a cricket tour, or the postponement of the Champions League is a perversity in the face of such a gargantuan human calamity.

It was right for England's cricketers to go home. And it won't be wrong if they don't come back for the Test series. I would understand. Cricketers are heroes of a different kind. Putting their lives at risk is not in their line of duty. I was in London during the 2005 terrorist attacks and I went to Covent Garden for dinner from Lord's, and took to a tube back to the hotel. But that was a personal choice. I didn't feel unsafe. However, the images from Mumbai - the drawn-out drama, the cold-blooded audacity and sinisterness of it - are far more disturbing and macabre than those of a series of bombs going off.

This is not a time for brinksmanship, power games or counting cash. This is a time for quiet and respectful understanding.

But life can't stand still. The city, the country, the world, must renew itself. Cricket is only a small part of it, but it will matter, it will make a difference.

Let me declare my interests. I love this city. If anything, the last two days have made me realise the depth of that love. I have no guns and grenades to defend it with, but I can fight for its spirit. It sounds like a cliche, but cliches also happen to be true. I can't wait to see a stadium in Bombay reverberating to the sounds of cricket. I will be there.

Sambit Bal is the editor of Cricinfo

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
looks like india is getting fucked by england of all countries in cricket. Strauss has shown skill previously unseen from an english batsman in this test. If he scores a century in each innings, he really deserves to be on the winning side.

Although i think its getting perfectly set up for Dravid to roll back the years and bat for 2 days and save the match for India.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
looks like india is getting fucked by england of all countries in cricket. Strauss has shown skill previously unseen from an english batsman in this test. If he scores a century in each innings, he really deserves to be on the winning side.

Although i think its getting perfectly set up for Dravid to roll back the years and bat for 2 days and save the match for India.
LOL india will never lose this series, sehwag will come good in next innings, and for dravid everything is going wrong, he is removed from slips, too many fumbles.
and not scoring anything these days, his days are numbered. i hope he hit a ton or double and hang is boots, wall was an awesome cricketer for india and he will remembered as one of the best.

sadly he wont wear indian colours for long

milanista1899

Solo Milan
Reaction score
Ashish said:
LOL india will never lose this series, sehwag will come good in next innings, and for dravid everything is going wrong, he is removed from slips, too many fumbles.
and not scoring anything these days, his days are numbered. i hope he hit a ton or double and hang is boots, wall was an awesome cricketer for india and he will remembered as one of the best.

sadly he wont wear indian colours for long
when was the last time sehwag scored big in a second innings..??? he hardly scores in the 2nd innings,thou in his last game in chennai he scored a triple hundred..

the chennai pitch is a huge turner on the last day,its so hard to bat...i wont be suprised if india end up losing this game,thou there are huge possibilities that rain can do us a favour..since it rains frequently in chennai during this time of the year...

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milanista1899 said:
when was the last time sehwag scored big in a second innings..??? he hardly scores in the 2nd innings,thou in his last game in chennai he scored a triple hundred..

the chennai pitch is a huge turner on the last day,its so hard to bat...i wont be suprised if india end up losing this game,thou there are huge possibilities that rain can do us a favour..since it rains frequently in chennai during this time of the year...
i think last match in australia

one 150, and this chennai pitch is flat, but if england post something round 500 and laxman or sehwag doesnt play well then we will shit blood

i think its time to demote dravid to no5 and put laxman to no3 cause he is form and is a attacking player, raul dravid has to retire now, it doesnt matter he score rum or not but his defense is breached frequently :eek: which so unlike dravid. i hope he score big and go to new zealand one last time.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milanista1899 said:

Sehwag has scored atleast two MAJOR last innings scores, both against australia. one was at Chennai, and the other was in Australia itself.

oh, and hes doing it right now against england as well :tongue:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tendulkar fucked England :star:

legend scores another century to guide India to a win, the men to thank is Sehwag sachin and yuvi

well done India something to cheer this week :star: :star: :beer: :rocketki:

Last edited:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Legends. All of them. Sehwag, Sachin, Yuvraj, everyone.

Dont have time to write something special about this game, but i will in a bit.

Long live Test Cricket.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Cracking match. I was lucky enough to attend it for three days, and today the crowd went ballistic. Fantastic knock from Sachin, Yuvraj played wonderfully too. But credit must be due to Sehwag, who absolutely pummeled England yesterday. Hats off to England too though, for making it to India after the blasts. They played great cricket and without them this great match wouldn't have been possible.

Once again the only sticking point for me was Dravid's form. His confidence seems to have taken a hit, and it looks like it'll require some work. Really hope he comes out on top. He's too good to go down like this. Go Dravid!

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
LORD OF THE PITCH

Superstar Tendulkar writes the perfect script

He's 35 years old and owns practically every batting record in the game, but you couldn't escape the feeling that this was probably Sachin Tendulkar's finest hour
December 15, 2008
97155.jpg

Given all that's gone on over the past three weeks, this was so much more than just a match-winning century © Getty Images

As Graeme Swann prepared to bowl the second ball of his 29th over, more than 20,000 people in the stands abandoned their plastic chairs. They were on their feet, creating the sort of bedlam and noise I last witnessed at this very venue seven years ago, when Harbhajan Singh's squirt past point clinched the most famous of India's series victories. Swann bowled. The batsman came forward and patted the ball back with almost exaggerated flourish. The crowd was momentarily quieted but the primal scream started again as Swann went back to his mark.

Again, there was sharp turn, but the paddle-sweep that greeted the ball was emphatic. As it streaked to fine leg, the batsman ran down the pitch and punched the air in celebration, before being held aloft by his equally delighted partner. He's 35 years old and owns practically every batting record in the game, but you couldn't escape the feeling that this was probably Sachin Tendulkar's finest hour.

To score the winning runs in a record-shattering chase was special enough, but when that last stroke also brought up your 41st century, it became ineffably so. Boyhood dreams are made of this, and it says a lot about Tendulkar that he has never lost that child-like passion for the game.

Even in a world where cricket was played in isolation, this would have been a breathtaking effort. Given all that's gone on over the past three weeks though, this was so much more than just a match-winning century. Kevin Pietersen said it best after the game. "Who can write Sachin Tendulkar's scripts any better?," he asked. "The man from Mumbai came in and scored a sensational hundred. He batted like a superstar."

Those that reckon this will heal the wounds of the past don't know Tendulkar well enough though. The scabs of Barbados 1997 and Chepauk 1999 will always be there, especially given he had done so much in both games to take India towards victory. As the years passed, theories and opinions came and went, with people pointing to the absence of a defining fourth-innings knock from the Tendulkar repertoire. Brian Lara had the peerless unbeaten 153 at the Kensington Oval. What did Tendulkar have to offer as response?

An awful lot really, but those intent on nitpicking will inevitably find a way. As the afternoon progressed though, the feeling intensified that we were witnessing something extraordinary. With Pietersen not inclined to crowd the batsmen with close-in fielders, Tendulkar was more than happy to pick off the runs with a nudge here, a deflection there and the odd paddle-sweep for variety.

The contrast with Virender Sehwag couldn't have been more acute. Sehwag's 83 contained 11 singles and two twos, whereas 61 of Tendulkar's runs came in singles (45) or twos. It was a consummate innings. He defended purposefully, especially against the always menacing Andrew Flintoff, but there was no getting bogged down either. Every time there was a lull, either he or Yuvraj Singh would pierce the field.

Those that aren't Indian struggle to fathom exactly what Tendulkar means to so many millions, and it's doubtful whether even those that live here really comprehend just how much a part of the national consciousness he has become. He is such a unifying force, a personality capable of stirring the emotions in every nook and corner of a vast land

Though dehydration became a factor as the afternoon sun beat down, he continued to scamper between the wickets with the same urgency he showed as a teenager. It's that enthusiasm that's so infectious. Sitting in the stands for an hour this afternoon, there was no doubt what the only people that really matter - the fans - think of him. His every stroke was cheered as though it was a century, and the chants of "Sachin, Sachin" reverberating around were an illustration of an adulation-obsession that sport has never seen, not even when Diego Maradona was playing at La Bombanera.

Vijay is a doctor who was in Chennai on a short trip. On Sunday night, he found himself with a pass for the final day's play. With a late-afternoon train to catch, he wasn't sure whether to go or not. There was another reason for his hesitancy too. Like millions of other sports fans who have been scarred by defeat, Vijay was afraid that he might jinx his team and his favourite player. But after watching the first session on television, he decided to take his chances.

Over the next three-and-a-half hours, he didn't leave his seat, not even for food and water at tea time. He made his train with 10 minutes to spare. "I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if I had given it a miss," he messaged me later.

Those that aren't Indian struggle to fathom exactly what Tendulkar means to so many millions, and it's doubtful whether even those that live here really comprehend just how much a part of the national consciousness he has become. He is such a unifying force, a personality capable of stirring the emotions in every nook and corner of a vast land. And in these times of distress and anger, it was so very appropriate that it would be Tendulkar who put the smiles back on at least a few faces.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
what a week

Kp is amazing player what an innings :star: gayle hit 146* i like the way he plays with no fear and

the best Aussies got fucked by South Africans lol what will cheating captain say now?

muhahahaha well done Smithy and AB well done :star: :star: :star:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ashish said:
what a week

Kp is amazing player what an innings :star: gayle hit 146* i like the way he plays with no fear and

the best Aussies got fucked by South Africans lol what will cheating captain say now?

muhahahaha well done Smithy and AB well done :star: :star: :star:

Pietersen is a tool. I'm with your man Harbhajan who says he wants to hit him with the bat.

San Paolo will be spewing.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Calum1903 said:
Pietersen is a tool. I'm with your man Harbhajan who says he wants to hit him with the bat.

San Paolo will be spewing.
he can screw himself

btw something for your fav player KP :)
<SNIP>

"When I got up in the morning, I read the paper, and I said 'what does this [pie-chucker] mean?' So I asked a few people there what it meant, and they said it meant a 'useless kind of bowler'. It shows KP hates getting out to me. Well, a useless bowler getting him out many times would be because of useless batting, I'd say! But that's okay.

"He's a phenomenal player and batted like a champion. He's got 15 hundreds in 40-odd matches - that's phenomenal. But he tried to get under my skin in the last game and that brought out the best in me. I tried the same and it brought out the best in him. So it's good competition in the field. But I don't have a habit of washing dirty linen in the open, in public. But I like the name, eh?"

<SNIP>

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/current/story/383921.html

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Graeme Smith just came out to bat to try and save the test match for south africa, and got a standing ovation from the SCG. This is really a great sporting moment - he has a broken lower hand, and a chipped bone in his upper elbow, so both his hands are fucked.

and hes coming out to try and survive for 9 overs against mitchell johnson, who broke his finger in the first place. if he pulls this off, my respect for him is going to skyrocket.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
so smith is out.....Steve Waugh, he still isnt.

Schedule