Group F: ITA, PAR, NZL, SVK

Which 2 teams will advance out of Group F?

• Total voters

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
Simone hasn't been at his best of late. Though he was fundamental to them on the left, working well with Grosso. Interesting to see who takes up his spot.

probably Marchisio
it's actually a pretty decent squad without the expense of fantasista like Cassano or Totti.. that's still a pretty Okay squad although it still depends on who will get boot for the 23 squad list ..
I assume Lippi will probably cut 1 keeper, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Simone hasn't been at his best of late. Though he was fundamental to them on the left, working well with Grosso. Interesting to see who takes up his spot.

Like Dwa Milan says, I would guess Marchisio will replace him as the mobile one in the midfield. I would still have taken Perrotta.

I've repeatedly defended Lippi for leaving out both Cassano and Miccoli on an individual basis. I can also understand why he wouldn't want to take Totti. However, even I would have to admit he's gone too far in not picking any of them. These guys may all have a tendency to behave like children and cause trouble, but given the complete lack of a match-winner in that squad, I would say picking one of the three was a necessary gamble.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Like Dwa Milan says, I would guess Marchisio will replace him as the mobile one in the midfield. I would still have taken Perrotta.

I've repeatedly defended Lippi for leaving out both Cassano and Miccoli on an individual basis. I can also understand why he wouldn't want to take Totti. However, even I would have to admit he's gone too far in not picking any of them. These guys may all have a tendency to behave like children and cause trouble, but given the complete lack of a match-winner in that squad, I would say picking one of the three was a necessary gamble.
Yep. Italy certainly lacking a game changer.

Anyway, I'll leave my final verdict till I see them play as a team. Lippi surely knows how to get more out of one, than simply a sum of its individual parts. Problems is, does he have the time to build a strong team? Especially since, first thing he's got to work on is the defense ... of all things.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Awful squad... the more I think about the more it seems to me Italy and Slovakia will have an exciting fight for place 2 (paraguay #1 obviously)

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yep. Italy certainly lacking a game changer.

Anyway, I'll leave my final verdict till I see them play as a team. Lippi surely knows how to get more out of one, than simply a sum of its individual parts. Problems is, does he have the time to build a strong team? Especially since, first thing he's got to work on is the defense ... of all things.

Looking at the squad, particularly the absence of Totti/[insert fantasista], I'm guessing Lippi is looking to rely heavily on pace on the counter attack. Italy are going to be too static to play a possession-based game, and sitting deep suits their defenders anyway. They'll be looking to Pirlo and De Rossi for quick, accurate distribution to Di Natale and Rossi/Iaquinta, and Marchisio (this is where Perrotta should come in!) to get up in support of whichever striker he goes with.

That's a guess though. The only certainty is that it's going to be absolutely hideous.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Looking at the squad, particularly the absence of Totti/[insert fantasista], I'm guessing Lippi is looking to rely heavily on pace on the counter attack. Italy are going to be too static to play a possession-based game, and sitting deep suits their defenders anyway. They'll be looking to Pirlo and De Rossi for quick, accurate distribution to Di Natale and Rossi/Iaquinta, and Marchisio (this is where Perrotta should come in!) to get up in support of whichever striker he goes with.

That's a guess though. The only certainty is that it's going to be absolutely hideous.
Yeah, thats perhaps the only kind of competitive team/system you could make out of this squad. It can work ... Iaquinta and Di Natale aren't the slowest strikers you'd meet. But the big problem for me is ... the defense isn't as good as it was. Surely, it will let in more goals than it did in 06. That is, unless Lippi gives them a monumental speech, which transforms them into Cannavaro or Thuram from the last WC.

Also ... Calciopoli part II should be well underway! Certainly gives Lippi less work to do in that regard ...

Revolution

Io Ci Credo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Pjanic, Schweini, Prince, Abate
I'm happy to see Rossi and to not see Legrotalie. But aside from that... our midfield is the only part that looks really decent: Pirlo, De Rossi, Cossu, Montolivo, and some youth in the form of Candreva and Marchisio.

---------Di Natale-----Rossi
---------------Someone
-----De Rossi--Pirlo--Montolivo
Criscito--Bonucci--Chiellini--Cassani
--------------Buffon

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
No Legrotallie=We will win this thing.

Bravo Lippi! :proud:

Players that will be dropped IMO:

De Sanctis, Maggio, Cossu, Pepe, Quagliarella, Bonucci, and Palombo.

Last edited:

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
No Legrotallie=We will win this thing.

Bravo Lippi! :proud:

Players that will be dropped IMO:

De Sanctis, Maggio, Cossu, Pepe, Quagliarella, Bonucci, and Palombo.

Maggio is a good FB.. i would give him a chance..

Lisa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Paolo Maldini
Congrats to Jersey Boy for making it, I'm happy for him.

Ragazza

Milan, solo con te...
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, ZAMBROTTA, NESTA, SES, MAGIC MIKE
Italy - PRELIMINARY SQUAD

Goalkeepers:
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli)
Federico Marchetti (Cagliari)
Salvatore Sirigu (Palermo)

Defenders:
Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan)
Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus)
Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
Christian Maggio (Napoli)
Leonardo Bonucci (Bari)
Fabio Grosso (Juventus)
Domenico Criscito (Genoa)
Mattia Cassani (Palermo)
Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa)

Midfielders:
Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)
Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan)
Daniele De Rossi (Roma)
Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina)
Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus)
Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria)
Antonio Candreva (Juventus)
Andrea Cossu (Cagliari)
Claudio Marchisio (Juventus)
Simone Pepe (Udinese)

Forwards:
Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli)
Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal)
Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus)
Antonio Di Natale (Udinese)
Marco Borriello (AC Milan)
Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina)
Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria)

LOL...no inter players

thank you!! i'm so happy materazzi isn't on the team!!

if he had been selected i would have...would have just...just vomited

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
Italy's slogan in their bus is:

Il nostro Azzurro nel cielo d'Africa
(Italian Azzurro on African sky)

Revolution

Io Ci Credo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Pjanic, Schweini, Prince, Abate
Italy's slogan in their bus is:

Il nostro Azzurro nel cielo d'Africa
(Italian Azzurro on African sky)

Yea just saw this today, Spain probably has the best one: Hope is my road, victory my destiny

The Italian definitely tugs my heart strings, it's quite moving, but maybe not the most powerful.

LOL...no inter players

thank you!! i'm so happy materazzi isn't on the team!!

if he had been selected i would have...would have just...just vomited

Why would there be any Merda players on the Azzurri? To quote Lippi: "Inter are not Italian."

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The French one:

"This bus should be Ireland"

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Those slogans are from the teams or from organizers of the toiurnament? Where can I see all of them?

Cristina

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Pato, Balotelli
Lippi will shorten the list to 27 players today, reports are saying Grosso could be one of the cuts (competing with Bocchetti/Cassani), along with Sirigu and one of Camoranesi/Cadreva/Cossu.

Those slogans are from the teams or from organizers of the toiurnament? Where can I see all of them?

Slogans were made by users on fifa.com, and people voted for the one they liked best.

Here's all of them: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1209257/index.html.

Last edited:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Can't wait till Italy are knocked out in the first round :proud:

Cry Cristina Cry! :devil3:

Ragazza

Milan, solo con te...
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, ZAMBROTTA, NESTA, SES, MAGIC MIKE
Why would there be any Merda players on the Azzurri? To quote Lippi: "Inter are not Italian."

exactly...i enjoy the irony...it's delicious

fiume_1987

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Boban, Desailly, Redondo, Rivaldo, Rui Costa, Maldini, Pato, T. Silva
at least some sense left in Lippi - I personally never thought he would leave his hero Grosso out, but he did it. Guess that means either Zambrotta or Criscito would play LB with Cassani/Maggio as RB. Still their defense is total shite compared to what they once had...

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
antonini is the best option italy has at lb imo.

silly lippi

Fiero

Reaction score
Football wise it's a good move, hopefully Zambrotta also will be on the bench. But I really don't understand Lippi, he took with him most of the 2006 generation, and dropped the hero? Not saying Grosso deserves to go to South Africa, but half the squad doesn't and they're only there because of 06, so why drop Grosso at the last minute?

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Grosso has always performed when I've watched Italy NT. I'm very surprised by this. Though I can hardly blame Lippi.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Lippi isn't 100% senile. ;)

Schedule