Official Basketball thread(NBA; EuroLeague etc)

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Sad, GSW sounds much better, but it does make sense marketing wise (and even to make it be associated with a big market like SF's).

my friend works for a marketing firm who works with warriors.

According to him, the exec's over there their biggest hurdle/headache is name. To grow the brand, and gain national exposure, type of stuff which will trickle to talent wanting to come, you have to have an association.

Lets be honest. Outside bay area, half the us doesn't even know where Golden State Warriors play.

Let alone internationally.

Poorly branded. Just a history lesson on that. Warriors originally took Golden State moniker because some dumbass who owned team in 60s wanted to play games across the state. Their first few seasons they played like 30 in SF, handful in SD. That hasn't happened since like 1970. But it's history of it.

---

and they were originally San Francisco Warriors when they moved out west.

San-Francisco-Warriors--2313-Wilt-Chamberlain-Soul-Yellow-Swingman-Jersey-3763-40758.jpg

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
I always thought the Warriors are from San Francisco, but they call themselves GS for whatever reason.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I always thought the Warriors are from San Francisco, but they call themselves GS for whatever reason.

oakland.

lion-king-oakland-funny.jpg

All the opposing teams stay in SF though. Saw Hibbert, Granger, George getting off team bus a few months ago when Pacers came to town. Hibbert is big.

When Houston came for opener in 2010, the bridge got shut down because someone crashed into side of it (trucker fell asleep at wheel). Houston players had to take a ferry across to arena, ha.

It's really dumb, people make it a big deal. It's all same metropolitan area.

The thing is oakland is a city in major turmoil. Lots of issues, more than i feel like going into. Think similar to detroit with unemployement and jobs lost overseas over the years. Declining industry etc. etc. SF on otherhand is thriving. Also has a lot more to do in terms of entertainment, nightlife, which to the fan or prospective player is an appeal.

The arena will be down the street from ATT Park. They'll end up creating just a row of bars, restuarants clubs, and a fun atmosphere.

Ive kind of got a unique perspective on it. I'm an oakland native, grew up going to games there. Will always love it, but i live in SF now. There is a lot of unhappiness over in oakland and east bay over this cause there's kind of a cultural tension between two sides of bay. I find it dumb.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
why arent they called Oakland Warriors then?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

IbraISmyHOMEboy

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic, KPB, White Duck, Binho, Filippo Inzaghi
oakland.

lion-king-oakland-funny.jpg

All the opposing teams stay in SF though. Saw Hibbert, Granger, George getting off team bus a few months ago when Pacers came to town. Hibbert is big.

When Houston came for opener in 2010, the bridge got shut down because someone crashed into side of it (trucker fell asleep at wheel). Houston players had to take a ferry across to arena, ha.

It's really dumb, people make it a big deal. It's all same metropolitan area.

The thing is oakland is a city in major turmoil. Lots of issues, more than i feel like going into. Think similar to detroit with unemployement and jobs lost overseas over the years. Declining industry etc. etc. SF on otherhand is thriving. Also has a lot more to do in terms of entertainment, nightlife, which to the fan or prospective player is an appeal.

The arena will be down the street from ATT Park. They'll end up creating just a row of bars, restuarants clubs, and a fun atmosphere.

Ive kind of got a unique perspective on it. I'm an oakland native, grew up going to games there. Will always love it, but i live in SF now. There is a lot of unhappiness over in oakland and east bay over this cause there's kind of a cultural tension between two sides of bay. I find it dumb.

Does Oakland come close to the deep pile of shit Detroit has gotten themselves stuck in?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Does Oakland come close to the deep pile of shit Detroit has gotten themselves stuck in?

Similar.

Principals are similar on a superficial level. Oakland was a working class city. Manufacturing, industrial jobs. Oakland was thriving in 60s/70s because of this but been on a gradual decline since.

Jobs which have moven out of oakland and overseas.

Crime has always been relatively high

Still ranks high in crime-
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/02/16/the-11-most-dangerous-cities

I used detroit, because i'm sure most people are familiar with it's problems and it's an easy example parallel.

Back to basketball. Oracle Arena is set up in that 1970s cookie cutter vibe with a huge lot and in middle of ghetto with nothing around it to do. Opposite of something like LA Live or MSG or how most arena's are set up these days.

Because of this, Warriors dont have near the corporate sponsors or luxury box's that they could and say SF Giants (baseball do), with all the tech/internet money in downtown SF and penninsula town to silicon valley.

I mean let me ask you, what do you prefer-

Boats.jpg
dd-place02_PH_0502467756.jpg

People at all restuarants/bars around it pre-post game

or this-

Oakland_Coliseum_Arena.jpg

Gigantic 1970s style complex with nothing but popeyes chicken, gas stations and crime around it?

Seems like an easy choiceto me.

FYI, the warriors new arena would be about 1/2 mile from giants baseball stadium. That whole area is lined with things to do pre-post game, makes for a fun atmosphere, has a european feel for when you go to most stadiums and it's lined with pubs.

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Senatore is right, I recall, geography geek that I am, that at age 8-9 I knew were all the NBA teams were located, but I had to go and ask my older brother "where's the golden state? I can't find it in the map" heck, it takes the nickname of the state were other 3 teams are located. That's no good for a team (even if their name was super inclusive for everyone). At the end of the day Warriors are from SF and SF is also the "hot" girl in the Bay Area...makes sense.

Edit: A's stadium looks located in the most arid, ugly, plain place ever. I tend to believe half the games they show of the Giants on TV is cause its nice to look at the bay (heck dare I say 50% of what they show during the game is the bay).

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I do hate to lose the oracle atmospher though-

oracle-arena-interior2.jpg

Should be able to replicate it though. Fans should be same.

BrasilianMilan

Eternal Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek
Lakers didn't deserve to beat the Thunder, they were/are obviously the better team. Spurs-Thunder, which will advance? I honestly don't know, but I hope Spurs :D

Roy Hibbert for 3 baby!!!! :cool::cool:

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
No good bball till next sunday :fp:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
yea, LeBron owning is so boring. :tongue:

wow 61% fg. :eek:

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
you want to bring jump shoot to oldies .. we are waiting and resting .. :o

:thumbsup:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Texas :eek:

black mans head on a plate

/sorry for this offensive joke

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
yea, LeBron owning is so boring. :tongue:

wow 61% fg. :eek:

yeah we all know Lebron has great ability. The finals is where he should show true greatness.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Man its not Kobe's fault, its the entire team strategy. What would you do if you have Kobe on your team? Bynum is not good enough to go through him most of the time. Its not about just 'feeding' them, if Kobe just stays out of the way, then Bynum+Gasol will probably be better, but Kobe's contribution will diminish, so again its a problem.

One thing I never could understand is why Kobe refuses to play the pick and roll. Not all the time, but do it occasionally just to keep their defence on their toes. Gasol NEVER gets the ball after setting a screen ffs.

Lakers needed someone else at pointguard, someone better than Sessions. Someone who is a better long distance shooter and better at assisting. But the bigger problem was on defence, where they were turned inside out by Westbrook and Harden. You can't allow so many offensive rebounds. You can't allow them scoring from around the post. Kobe as a defender is simply too old, but Bynum was fucking sleepwalking the entire series. What good is if hes taller when hes slow in reactions and not aggressive.

yeah you are right ... they are limited by the way their team is built .. kobe needs to be patient .. not happening at this age or any age ..

bynum dont give a fuck about lakers :lol: he can be a pillar on which championships can be won .. too immature .. pau is so soft but great player ..

no distributor..

OMG only meta world war was a champion in this series :eek: :thumbsup:

I dont care about lakers .. hope they build a great team .. good for BBL ...

Duncan and old age time :beer: I love san antino spurs ....

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
lakers just need to start building for a new era, an era where kobe is not the main man.

he needs to man up and accept that he shouldn't be the top dog if the lakers want to win the championship.

if the lakers start building a new team around kobe, they're going to regret it.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
I wouldn't build around Bynum just yet. He hasn't shown the necessary mentality.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Kobe is highest paid player and won't take a pay cut. He takes up 50% of payroll :lol:

Pau and Bynum also make a shitton.

They have highest salary cap and their ownership is hell bent on getting under luxury tax before the 'repeater penalty' hits in 2014.

They are stuck where they are unless a shrewd trade happens, which will be hard to do. Bynum's hard to replace. Pau's value is plummetting.

--

Also with the new estate tax in LA, the Buss family is really hesitant to overspend on lakers cause they'll get F'd hard as Dr. Buss is very old...

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't build around Bynum just yet. He hasn't shown the necessary mentality.

I agree, dude is a pussy.

he's a good player, potentially to be even better, but he's not the guy you want to build a team around.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Bynum's weird. I've heard multiple reports guy is one of hardest workers. Spends all offseason training etc. Always in top shape etc.

But the stuff he says is just mindboggling.

"I'll shoot 3s if i want to" :lol:

"I'll play anywhere" :lol:

He's got a bit of crazy RonRon in him.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that he's a hard worker.

the seedorf of basketball, shows up when he wants to :proud:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I find it hard to believe that he's a hard worker.

the seedorf of basketball, shows up when he wants to :proud:

nah, he's pretty consistent. One of best rebounders, scores effectively

a crappy game 5 does not change that.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
the point is he could be a lot better if he had the right mindset.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
No bynum is not consistent .. sorry senatore :D

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
he's been inconsistent in the play offs from what I've seen.

I don't like his attitude, but he is a very good player.

apparently howard will most probably leave orlando, what are the chances of lakers getting him? obviously they would need to lose one of gasol/bynum, gasol being the obvious choice of departure because of his age.

Schedule