African Football

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Since when did Botswana have a good team? When I was home, they hardly won any games even in the Castle Cosafa cup. More like Lesotho and Swaziland ... not leading Tunisia and Togo :eek:

After 6 consecutive years of unprecedented success, this can be excused of Egypt. Besides, the best African nation will have to rebuild with younger players ... duh.

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Tbh , i can understand Botswana being up there, i mean Togo will be crap for a long time after what happened to them. So that really only leaves Tunisia.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Yeah, perhaps. But you see, I remember them being so bad, that even all these things considered, its the most surprising result thus far for me. I'll have to watch them.

Dalilah

Primavera
Reaction score
Does anybody know what happened to that other cup project called African Nations Championship?

Dalilah

Primavera
Reaction score
Its every two years, next one is in 2011.

Any links? The information about the previous one have been scarce on the net. Haven't find any about the next one yet.
Maybe I'm not searching in the right places :D

Last edited:

Dalilah

Primavera
Reaction score
Wow! Ghanaians are taking that CHAN thing very serious :eek:

Quote from http://ghanasoccernet.com/2010/10/ghana-coach-unveils-plans-for-chan-tournament/

Sixty players will be invited to fight for places in Ghana home-based national team when they start preparations in November for their continental tournament ot be held next year.
Herbert Addo has appointed ten coaches in the various league centres in the country to spot talented players to be called for the tournament to be held in Sudan.
The local Black Stars have qualified for the three-week African Nations Championship (CHAN) to be held from 4 February.
Addo has presented his comprehensive plan for friendly matches to be played at home and abroad as he plans to annex the title.
CHAN was created by Caf just for home-based players to give them the opportunity to expose their talents to the World Cup.
The local Black Stars were second in the maiden tournament in Ivory COast last year but Addo is confident his plans will catapult his side to the title.
“It will depend on the nature of prepara tions we put in before the competition. If we want the best, then we must put in the best efforts,” Addo said.
“We have to play many high profile friendly matches to toughen up the boys for the tournament.
“Without this, it will be difficult to make the expected impact in Sudan,” he concluded.
Over 60 home-based players are expected to justify their inclusion for a place in the final 23-man squad that will represent the nation at the competition. Ghana placed second in the maiden edition.
Addo said preparations for the competition will start after the tenth week matches of the Ghana top-flight Premiership.
The coach expects the players to be in perfect form when camping starts, a reason why he has opted for early camping.

Last edited:

Dalilah

Primavera
Reaction score
2010 African Player of the Year, the nominees are in alphabetical order:

Ahmed Hassan (Al-Ahly and Egypt), Andre Ayew (Olympique Marseille and Ghana), Kevin Prince Boateng :) (AC Milan and Ghana), Madjid Bougherra (Rangers and Algeria), Didier Drogba (Chelsea and Cote d’Ivoire), Samuel Eto’o Fils (Inter Milan and Cameroon), Mohamed Nagy ‘Gedo’ (Al-Ahly and Egypt), Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland and Ghana), Salomon Kalou (Chelsea and Cote d’Ivoire), and Seydou Keita (Barcelona and Mali).

The contenders for the African-based Player of the Year are: Ahmed Hassan (Al-Ahly and Egypt), Oussama Darragi (Esperance and Tunisia), Alain Kaluyituka Dioko (TP Mazembe and DR Congo), Michael Eneramo (Esperance and Nigeria) and Mohamed Nagy ‘Gedo’ (Al-Ahly and Egypt).

The winner of each category will be decided by votes from the respective senior national teams’ Head Coaches or Technical Directors of the 53 National Associations affiliated to Caf.

The Awards Gala 2010 will be organized on 20 December, 2010 in Cairo, Egypt.

milan1st

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Pato, Boateng, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ibrahimovic, Benzema, Fabregas, Essien, Ganso, Seedorf
Football Is A Rotten World – Disgruntled Togolese Goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale
The goalkeeper currently relies on donations to survive...
By K.N.S Mensah
Jan 8, 2011 1:05:00 PM
16 Share
Kodjovi Obilale, Togo (Getty Images)
Photo Gallery
Zoom
Kodjovi Obilale, Togo (Getty Images)
Related Links
Players

* Obilalé

Physically challenged Togo goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale remains a strong man a year after being shot twice in the lower back in a gun attack on their way to the Africa Nations Cup tournament in Angola.

The 26-year-old who is totally disappointed in the continental football governing body CAF and his national FA maintains a positive mind that he will bounce back if not through football to prove to the world that “God never sleeps.”

“I want to do loads of things. I started some training in computing. I’m preparing for a diploma in sports teaching. I’d like to start up a restaurant; an African restaurant here,” the father of two told the BBC.

“But at the moment I don’t have the means... I have written a book and soon it will be on the market. So there you go if it works well my dream is to build an African restaurant...those are my ambitions for the future.

“Even if there is no one supporting me, I’ll do what I can to pull through and to prove to the whole world that you can succeed by other means than just football. The people who told you come to the national team, come we’re waiting for you, answer the call; those people where are they now?

“You’re forgotten. That’s what the football world is like. When you are on two legs everyone is running after you [but] the day you fall down there is nobody there. That’s what it’s like and I am going to prove to the world, to those who are ignoring me, to those who are responsible for this incident and closed their eyes that everything is possible and that God never sleeps.”

Three people were shot dead in the ambush – Amelete Abalo, Stan Ocloo and Mario Adjoua- and nine others including players and officials were injured.

The former GSI Pontivy player has gone through seven operations to repair damage to his spine, liver, bladder and intestines and currently undergoing intensive physiotherapy in a bid to walk without the aid of crutches.

He is upset because CAF and his national FA have all ignored him because he is not a big name in African football.

"There are people who just don't have hearts. All they think of is counting their cash. Honestly, if my name was Samuel Eto'o or Didier Drogba it wouldn't be happening like this.

"Nobody would be offering me $25,000 [the sum FIFA originally offered] or $100,000. But it's because I play for Pontivy. [But] we all kick the same ball - it should be fair for everyone. They don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow, what my plans are. Nobody is asking.

"I'm fighting every day to ask for fairness in all this, to get compensation and all that.

"And everything I do, I do myself. I will have to shout for it. And that's why I say football is a rotten world."

The Togolese international who was part of the World Cup 2006 squad now lives on donations and the generosity of his former international colleague, Emmanuel Adebayor, who has remained in regular contact since the attack.

srlsly didnt know where to post this

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
That's sad, but all sports will prioritize the bigger names - They are the ones who bring the money and attract the audiences. It's blunt, but nobody cares for the small guy playing for Pontivy, Charlton or Rayo. It'll always be the same, and although people will feel bad, and i hope he acheives his revised dream, those words won't make players be better treated when their careers end.

Plus, it's not like FIFA are gonna give hand-outs to players who have to retire due to injury, and it's not like countries will do the same. It's not like you'll see the Togolese government give money to that guy, and it's not like the English government would give it to someone playing at a significantly lesser light. He's trying to air the truth, but it won't do anything. It's as pointless as me writing a letter to my MP claiming that Homeless people aren't treated fairly.

Last edited:

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Sheva, Ricky, Messi, Iniesta, Harry Redknapp, Sanosuke Sagara, Chris Redfield.
From the South African ABSA Premiership..Tlou Segolela scored a really beautiful Messi-esque goal over the weekend for Orlando Pirates..saw it on Supersport Blitz some hours back..was worthy of commendation. Also had a nice assist later on, pin-point cross from the left..though it should be stated that the defence of FSS was utter crap. Some awesome talent down south (pun unintended). :D

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Orlando Pirates facing "heavy sanctions" after a fan threw porridge at a match official. Last year Kaizer Chiefs were given a suspended £45k fine after fans threw a cabbage and two vuvuzelas.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Sheva, Ricky, Messi, Iniesta, Harry Redknapp, Sanosuke Sagara, Chris Redfield.
Congrats to :star:Osaze Odemwingie:star: for orchestrating Brom's crushing win over the still over-the-moon Birmingham..imo he's our best NT player currently.

Forgettable day for the ex-Lagosian Obafemi Martins.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thought I'd comment a bit on yesternite's game versus Ethopia..

- The Abuja National Stadium's main pitch has already started degenerating..wow. Entropy as a principle is extremely STRONG here in Naija :mad:..the maintenance culture is totally missing. While the game was on fsr Chievo's MAB mudpit kept coming to mind..to be fair the pitch wasn't that bad, but c'mon..it was easy to tell that the groundsman has been AWOL for months or something. :(

- We're goners without Enyeama..Dele's totally fucked up.

- Can't say who's worse..John or Peter Utaka, forget the latter's brace..he played BS. Reminds me of the Asamoah of Schalke, or Wilson Oruma..maybe was his hairdo.

- Sam Siasia was pretty smart with substitutions, left the best for last..:star:Odemwingie:star:, Ike Uche and Kalu Uche. Plus he removed the dead wood..Pete Utaka esp..

- Of the two Obis on the field, imo Joel Chukwuma was the better..my popz said it was Mikel (our very own NT diva :mad:) but I doubt that. Fuck, I know he's a merda pig but being objective, he worked our offensive midfield well.

- Taye had a so-so day..wasn't really interested in those hungry waif-like Ethopians. :D

- Yobo's still got it in him..tackles, speed, marking..hope he's settled well in Turkey..

- Musa needs an urgent lesson in headers..if you can't find an empty net from like six yards TWICE in the space of maybe ten minutes then there's a problem.

- Ike Uche has the striker's instinct we BADLY need..fuck diva no. 2 Obafemi Martins. His first goal was pure hunger (placing the goalie while on his heinie!) while the second was ....HOT!! He made the exact gesticulations Jose Fiver made after Benzema scored versus Lyon in the SB..'I'm hot!!!' Zaragoza you don't know what you have 'til it's gone..this is a player just returning from like 7 months off or something (injury).

- Pete Odemwingie is a demigod..nuff said. Without him the current NT (and WBA) will be absolutely nowhere.
He deserved to score that freekick..sooooooo close it was!!!! And he wasn't even 70% fit!

- Nsofor's declining..merda see the same too. His passes are -900% accurate, and that's no exaggeration. :D Go down with the Hammers and don't come up.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Congrats to Taye on his winning performance yesterday in the Coupe.

www.goal.com/en/match/59376/montpellier-hsc-vs-marseille/report

Can't fully express my joy at having him in our stripes pretty soon. :proud:

Also, shout-out to Pete (yet again!!) for his great game v/Spurs..and the majestic Cox goal too. Albion should thank us a bit, they had :star:Kanu:star: doing a haul for them, now it's Odemwingie dragging them up by their bootstraps. :thumbsup:

Great game guys!! :greenwhitegreen:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Africa's diamonds in the rough
July 10, 2011 | By Mark Lomas
Mark Lomas examines the turbulent recent history of the Sierra Leonean national team.
When a friend recently asked me what I associated with Sierra Leone, football was certainly not the first thing that sprung to mind. The sport may be the West African nation's most popular by some distance, but I had already replied with "civil war", "blood diamonds" and even "Kanye West" before he interjected to discuss Sierra Leone's football credentials.

The national team has undergone a resurgence of late and, currently standing ahead of reigning African Nations Cup (AFCON) champions Egypt in the race to reach next January's tournament in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, a first appearance at the finals in 16 years beckons for a country whose recent history, in both a footballing and political sense, has been tumultuous.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/932748/sierra-leone:-africa%27s-diamonds-in-the-rough?cc=4716

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Flags and Big Butts : Nigeria Crash out of World Cup

Puke and Projectile Vomiting

After being eliminated, South
Africans were anxiously supporting
Nigeria. On my way to the stadium,
Cameroon and South African fans got
on my bus wearing Bafana Bafana
and Lions shirts and were cheering
on Nigeria. A South African woman
in front of me came with her
daughter who chatted with, and
enjoyed attention from Nigerian
men. Sadly the girl’s mother got
travel sick and started puking
violently everywhere. I wondered
what was going on when everyone
around me started running for
cover. I was the last to notice what
was going on. By the time I realised,
a disgusting pool of vomit was
heading its way toward me. I think
some splashed on my left foot. Nice.

maxsiollun.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/994/

Nice read even if it's more than a year old. :)

They say we Nigerian males are notorious for philandering but I'm like, why not when we have the BEST women in the world? Beauty? Check. (north, typically the Fulanis) Brains? Check. (south west esp.) Character? Check. (middle belt, south west) Big tits? Half check. :D Big butt? FULL CHECK!! :-)star:south south:star:) Bedroom Genius? Check. (south south) Resource Management? Check. (south east)

They are COMPLETE.

That's why you foreigners never had enough of us then (quite a number of 'mulattoes') and even NOW. :lol: Notice the writer's reference to the 'curves', 'big butt (yansh)' and 'big thighs'.

Don't miss that one idiotic prick in the Comments section. :mad:

It's all good though. ;)

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
WC2014 Qualifying

Round One of the African zone:

Seychelles v Kenya
Guinea-Bissau v Togo
Djibouti v Namibia
Mauritius v Liberia
Comoros v Mozambique
Equatorial Guinea v Madagascar
Somalia v Ethiopia
Lesotho v Burundi
Eritrea v Rwanda
Swaziland v Congo DR
Sao Tome e Principe v Congo
Chad v Tanzania

Round Two of the African zone:

Group A

South Africa
Botswana
Central African Republic
Somalia or Ethiopia

Group B

Tunisia
Cape Verde Islands
Sierra Leone
Equatorial Guinea or Madagascar

Group C

Cote d'Ivoire
Morocco
Gambia
Chad or Tanzania

Group D

Ghana
Zambia
Sudan
Lesotho or Burundi

Group E

Burkina Faso
Gabon
Niger
Sao Tome e Principe or Congo

Group F

Nigeria
Malawi
Seychelles or Kenya
Djibouti or Namibia

Group G

Egypt
Guinea
Zimbabwe
Comoros or Mozambique

Group H

Algeria
Mali
Benin
Eritrea or Rwanda

Group I

Cameroon
Libya
Guinea-Bissau or Togo
Swaziland or Congo DR

Group J

Senegal
Uganda
Angola
Mauritius or Liberia

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yep, it's here again, Argentina vs Nigeria, for the 268th time in all FIFA competitions and friendlies. :) I wonder why they chose Dhaka as the venue though, pretty odd.....I'm not sure many (or any) flights from here connect directly to Bangladesh, can imagine how stressful it probably was for those of us that travelled. Nice city anyway, I'll be there someday (someone remind me when I'm at SE Asia in the next couple years).

They underestimated us on June 1st and paid the price..ref had to suck up to them just to get them on the scoreline. Today, Sabella will be wise (hopefully). I can imagine the headlines on Complete Sports, The Sun, The Nation and all those papers..confident headlines they'll be, but I'm not exactly confident myself..we've got an injury crisis atm, Pete hasn't fully patched things up with Sam Siasia, and most of the players will be fatigued after that gruelling Afcon qualifier versus Madagascar all the way in Antananarivo iinm on Sunday....believe me that's some DISTANCE. Yeah I'm aware Argentina played Venezuela last Friday but that was just a test-friendly for Alejandro, not a MUST-WIN continental Cup qualifier. They are two different matters entirely.

I LOVE you Messi, but today you're the ENEMY. Happy to see lots of pre-match blogs, previews, streaming sites, fanviews.......the build-up has been great, great atmosphere. Hopefully the match itself won't be a letdown.

My prediction? 2-1 or 3-1 to Sabella's boys. I'm patriotic, yes, but I'm pragmatic. The fatigue, the jet lag, Odemwingie's and Enyeama's absence, these things will be ankle biters. One can hope for the best though.

I'll be extra-busy today (as usual), from class to meetings and a rehearsal ahead of a pre-Independence Day concert so I'll likely miss the live match, but I'll watch the re-run tomorrow. My wish is checking up the score online via my mob and seeing something like:

Argentina 1wwNigeria 3
Di Maria 37'wwwUche 8'
WwwwwwwwwMusa 32'
WwwwwwwwwMikel 59'

Live 86'

That would be something. :) :proud:

I hope to *at least* tour Buenos Aires in 2014 while I'm staying in Rio (likely) for the WC. Hopefully the locals are warm and friendly. :thumbsup:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Rodney Strasser is mildly concerned about the vuvuzelas, but insisted he is one for the big occasion. :proud:

He alone will take Bafana Bafana down tomorrow, no worries.