Gustavo Gómez Thread

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
I believe so, I think Gomez was trying to give him an option to pass to, but Niang misses a 10 foot pass by 15 feet... That put Gomez out or position.

Hard to judge him from a match against Napoli. I would like to see more of him, but my guess is that Paletta will replace him for now.

Paletta looks like the safest option now, i hope Gomez is good enough to become a starter in a few weeks.

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I didn't see any glaring tactical n00bity or anything.

He just looked unfamiliar with where Romagnoli would be and where Abate would be. Understanding with Romagnoli got better as the game progressed.

As for Abate, he himself is probably unfamiliar with where he is most of the time.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fucking Abate is so frustrating, especially when he puts in a great performance and then turns around and fucks everything up. How many times has he alone been responsible for fucking Diego Milito scoring on us? seriously :fp:

Phantomx

Only Milan
Reaction score
We've been very unlucky with our fullbacks so far... they've been shit.

First goal there wasn't much Gomez could have done since Abate was way out of position to block Mertens plus Mertens ate him alive in the first goal and all night long.

I liked what I saw from Gomez. You can definitely tell he's got that grinta going for him. He was already getting pissed off at Abate and yelling like a maniac in his first match plus was trying to push the team forward when we were down like Captains tend to do... Don't expect him to be TS33 2.0 but I think he was a bargain buy. He's good already at 23 and with room to grow.

^ :thumbsup::star:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
First game but he does need to improve positioning. 3rd goal was pretty much him getting caught out that lead to the goal

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
I think we should continue to play him. First game that too against napoli is not an indicator of anything.

Also, he seems to want to win. Something that is desperately missing in Milan these days.

I'd also like to see Calabria start against shit teams...

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We've been very unlucky with our fullbacks so far... they've been shit.

fullbacks being shit might have something to do with our wingers rarely tracking back and kucka, monty having two bad games in a row. too bad monty, des, anto and abate all are on international duty. otherwise we could work more on it during break.

First goal there wasn't much Gomez could have done since Abate was way out of position to block Mertens plus Mertens ate him alive in the first goal and all night long.

Gomez caused all the mess by being out of position in the first place. he almost crossed center line for no reason. abate was in alright position but he just stood still there during that pass to mertens.

I liked what I saw from Gomez. You can definitely tell he's got that grinta going for him. He was already getting pissed off at Abate and yelling like a maniac in his first match plus was trying to push the team forward when we were down like Captains tend to do... Don't expect him to be TS33 2.0 but I think he was a bargain buy. He's good already at 23 and with room to grow.

you mean you saw mexes like performance? not criticising. i actually liked that in mexes(can't forget that CL goal). hope he turns out to be a better version of him.

if we don't get anyone else in defense(which seems most likely), he should get good run of games to prove himself. not right now though maybe after some of the difficult rounds.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone is down on him. I really liked what I saw, especially considering the circumstances (rushed, language, etc)

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
Has a lot of work to do but its much better seeing him then Ely, Vergara etc. Has some potential, lets hope Milanello can make a good defender out of Gomez. Fighter :thumbsup:

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Has a lot of work to do but its much better seeing him then Ely, Vergara etc. Has some potential, lets hope Milanello can make a good defender out of Gomez. Fighter :thumbsup:

And then you watch him play against Sassuolo and :fp:

I do not know about his potential since he seems very, very raw. Much better than Vergara but I do not know if he is even better than Ely who should leave by the way.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
yeah he got owned on that third goal, but don't judge him only on that

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Terrible defending on the third goal.. what world was he in? In the games he's started we've copped 4 and 3 goals, signs aren't looking great. He has shown promise but perhaps he is still a couple of years away still. Hopefully he's a late bloomer because he's already 23..

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yeah he got owned on that third goal, but don't judge him only on that

I do not judge him on that.

I judge him more when in the second half he pass the ball to Montolivo and he sprints like a mad man towards Sassuolo's box. I think he did the same thing few minutes later. A CB does not do that on an open play. When I was watching that , I was like WTF?

I hope he stops doing that otherwise I think we got in our hands another David Luiz.

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

I judge him more when in the second half he pass the ball to Montolivo and he sprints like a mad man towards Sassuolo's box. I think he did the same thing few minutes later. A CB does not do that on an open play. When I was watching that , I was like WTF?

I hope he stops doing that otherwise I think we got in our hands another David Luiz.

he doesn't backpass and wanted to showthe team you need to get forward and make 1-on-2 combos

i don't mind an attacking CB, if the defense isn't leaky

Terrible defending on the third goal.. what world was he in? In the games he's started we've copped 4 and 3 goals, signs aren't looking great. He has shown promise but perhaps he is still a couple of years away still. Hopefully he's a late bloomer because he's already 23..

third goal wasn't his fault alone, it was the entire team that was clueless

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I think he has the needed quality. He just needs time to settle and minutes to grow. Paletta was worse than him when he arrived.

Rumpelstiltskin

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Daniel Maldini.

Gomez does seem like a poor man's David Luiz. He's got some good qualities, but seems like an idiot on the pitch more often than not. He's going to concede penalties and cost us goals.

Having said that, he's probably moved to Europe at the right point in his career, I would give him a season before shipping him off.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
Even thiago silva struggled when he came in europe. He is very young and he can improve a lot. Much better than zaputa, ely or vergara lol...but that shouldnt be too hard right?

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
you are wrong on penalties part. he is not clumsy. he is just too adventurous. but i don't blame him because rest of our mid and defense are too scared to do anything with ball.

markony

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Even thiago silva struggled when he came in europe. He is very young and he can improve a lot. Much better than zaputa, ely or vergara lol...but that shouldnt be too hard right?

Comme on, man, Zapata has his brainfarts, but no worse kind than Gomes. Zapata is still better option, that's pretty obvious.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah... Bench material until he proves otherwise.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Yeah... Bench material until he proves otherwise.

with Romagnoli & Zapata out

which 2 would you pick out of Paletta, Gomez, Ely & Vergara

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
with Romagnoli & Zapata out

which 2 would you pick out of Paletta, Gomez, Ely & Vergara

Paletta and Romagnoli first. Zapata first back up, Gomez second.

Ely I don't know, Vergara should never play again.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Gomez - Romagnoli for the future bois!!!

tuccero9

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Vergara is not part of our roster.
we send him on loan to arsenal tula

bigboss1963

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Vergara is not part of our roster.
we send him on loan to arsenal tula

He (Gustavo Gomez) was quite good against Argentina. He manhandled everyone of them. Not an inch given. Was dispossessed by Aguero in a fairly dangerous area but he certainly delt harshly with him otherwise.. There's something I like about him. I think he has a future with us he just needs to iron out some kinks in his game.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He (Gustavo Gomez) was quite good against Argentina. He manhandled everyone of them. Not an inch given. Was dispossessed by Aguero in a fairly dangerous area but he certainly delt harshly with him otherwise.. There's something I like about him. I think he has a future with us he just needs to iron out some kinks in his game.

Gustavo Gomez has to iron lots of stuff. It seems that he is good when his team has to park the bus. He is not going to learn by rotting the bench. Like I said before, a CB in Italy only gets better by playing not by sitting.

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
I don't think Paletta is letting go of the first team spot anytime, he's performed so well. The thing about Gustavo is, I am fine with him being on the bench and playing a 1 or 2 matches per month till January , he's getting used to life here, training etc etc. I see a guy with a lot of potential and if he needs to break his back to get into the team, so be it .

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He's brave, great in the air, and quick to the ball. He doesn't look like a master reader of the game but he definitely doesn't get caught out. He doesn't rely on his athelticism to bail him out either. Overall right now he's just solid in his all around game. He needs to refine the details that make or break good defenders right now, probably down to being in a tougher league. He gets in the right spots but he can get beat one on one. I think he can be a good player