Rodrigo Ely Thread

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
Not good enough to start. Mexes and Romagnoli should start.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not ragging on him but he is clearly very inexperienced despite a good preseason start.

Did he tear up Serie B last season or something that deserves this kind of trust in a young player with 0 Serie A experience?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
yes he was very solid last season

don't blame this kid, it'sour system

look at sapo, once he gets into a good system, he plays well

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Kid needs to grow. Not sure why all the backlash from the forum, but he's just young and inexperienced. He'll grow but as mentioned, he needs to be in a good system to grow properly and Milan is not a good system to cultivate youth right now... it's hectic and is saps all confidence out of players rather than building them up... this is why so many youths fail here but succeed elsewhere.. not their problem, it's this organizations.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
If he does well we praise him

If not he gets criticised.

It's only fair.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
22 today, happy birthday, and I hope he will improve.

CS4BjrJWsAABCIM.png

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
I don't think he's done that bad as everyone says, he played when we were still in a 4-3-1-2 and our team was very fragmented at the time. He has good fundamentals and between injuries to Alex and yellow cards to Mexes, it will be between him and Zapata at least for some games.

If he trains hard and doesn't get depressed, I have a feeling that both him and Calabria will get to play more again this season.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
This is what a big Brazilian Twitter account said after the game he played:

@BrazilStats
D?ria's development seems to have stalled. On the other hand very good performance by Rodrigo Ely who looks a better option at the moment.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'd give him another chance

Besides his age and no Serie A experience at all, back when he played at the beginning of the season our team was an unorganized pile of shit with NDJ anchoring in 4312. Literally everything was against him doing well

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Besides his age and no Serie A experience at all, back when he played at the beginning of the season our team was an unorganized pile of shit with NDJ anchoring in 4312. Literally everything was against him doing well

We have something that works at the moment, stakes are too high to mix it up now. His errors against Napoli were highly embarrassing, and that was with Monty ahead of him playing very well all game. Next season, maybe he can be tested, but not right now.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
He has played one game this season and that was against Fiorentina. Apart from that red card he was actually doing well that game. That red card ruined his season, literally. And as Mario said, everything was going against us at that time. The 4-3-1-2, De Jong, Diego Lopez in bad form, new coach, new system. It's a shame really. Don't forget he was also our best player during pre season.

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He has played one game this season and that was against Fiorentina. Apart from that red card he was actually doing well that game. That red card ruined his season, literally. And as Mario said, everything was going against us at that time. The 4-3-1-2, De Jong, Diego Lopez in bad form, new coach, new system. It's a shame really. Don't forget he was also our best player during pre season.

He has played three games, and was absolute shite in all of them.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
He has played three games, and was absolute shite in all of them.

No he wasn't. In the game against Genoa he didn't play badly. Let's not forget that in 2 of those 3 games, our golden boy Romagnoli didn't do much better (penalty against Fiorentina, red card against Genoa) .. and the third game that Romagnoli played was against Napoli who was a bulldozer team and he was paired with Zapata which was the first time they played together in an official game (and afaik even in friendlies since in those he was paired mostly with Alex)

If you want to blame him, blame him but stop being so fucking biased ...

I don't know how good he is, I trust Miha's judgement on this one over all RnB opinions.

LemonCookies

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No he wasn't. In the game against Genoa he didn't play badly. Let's not forget that in 2 of those 3 games, our golden boy Romagnoli didn't do much better (penalty against Fiorentina, red card against Genoa) .. and the third game that Romagnoli played was against Napoli who was a bulldozer team and he was paired with Zapata which was the first time they played together in an official game (and afaik even in friendlies since in those he was paired mostly with Alex)

I don't know how good he is, I trust Miha's judgement on this one over all RnB opinions.

You're opinion is an RnB opinion, yet you still give it as if it's not, lel.

I still thought he was crap in those games. He was cheap and fucked up, so who cares about him not starting. Roma cost a shit load and spent the whole previous season under our current manager, so clearly he was always going to be kept in the lineup. And, besides that, we started looking better when Ely got dropped, and Alex slotted in. It's a no-brainer imo. Miha isn't a tactical genius, he probably came to a similarly simple and straightforward reasoning as I have.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Ely fans = preseason fans.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
Using ely against fio and nap when he never before played on serieA level is most stupid thing that miha did. He should be loaned to verify if he is capable to play in serieA club first.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
You'd have said the same thing had Donnarumma flopped.

Miha took several gambles (even Romagnoli transfer fee) and some paid off. We shouldn't criticize the ones that failed.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
And you think if donna would start this season with games against fio and napoli he would not be blamed for failing?

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No he wasn't. In the game against Genoa he didn't play badly. Let's not forget that in 2 of those 3 games, our golden boy Romagnoli didn't do much better (penalty against Fiorentina, red card against Genoa) .. and the third game that Romagnoli (you mean Ely?) played was against Napoli who was a bulldozer team and he was paired with Zapata which was the first time they played together in an official game (and afaik even in friendlies since in those he was paired mostly with Alex)

Ender incorrect because Napoli's game came after Genoa's (where Romagnoli got sent off). Alessio was therefore suspended versus Napoli and we played with Zapata-Ely where Ely made several mistakes including an own goal. I think you meant to say Romagnoli instead of Ely.

None of the solid combination of Gigio-Romangoli-Alex played versus Napoli.

And Romagnoli-Zapata played together even before the Milan-Napoli game, it was Miha's preferred CB combination at season's start. But if you meant Ely-Zapata then yea it was the first time they played together but Ely hasn't played one minute in Serie A prior to this season. 2 games he started - Fiorentina + Napoli he was unbelievably bad and the loss was mostly his fault as the goals conceded were directly his fault. Fiorentina he gave them a freekick which they scored in due to his slow reaction and got an early red card that affected the game, and Napoli's performance was disastrous even if Zap wasn't the best partner.

In all scenarios, Ely needs to be loaned out to a Serie A team to play. No exception. If he's good enough and proves himself he'll come back (like Romagnoli and Rugani did with Samp and Empoli), if not we can't just wait for him to start performing at Milan. This should apply to De Santis and Vergara (and has applied to Suso, Niang in the past) too. Giving young defenders their Serie A debut and relying on them is very risky and unwise, especially for a team who wants results today instead of tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We have something that works at the moment, stakes are too high to mix it up now. His errors against Napoli were highly embarrassing, and that was with Monty ahead of him playing very well all game. Next season, maybe he can be tested, but not right now.
I didnt mean it that way. I don't want him to be thrown into the starting 11 when Alex-Romagnoli are doing so well and every upcoming game is like a final for us if we are to reach UCL. I just wouldn't completely write Ely off just yet

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

What you mean by giving a chance? Surely not benching Alex not even talking about Romagnoli.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What you mean by giving a chance? Surely not benching Alex not even talking about Romagnoli.

I think he means keeping him around over the summer and into next season as opposed to loaning him out, an outright sale, or involving him in our yearly swap with Genoa.

I agree with Mario as I think Ely can at least slot in as a back up and learn from Alex if Mexes and Zapata both leave. Paletta will be back and I think we will have some stability in the CB position with both Paletta and Alex being the experienced players leading Roma and Ely.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I think dry loan maybe would be best. Needs to play to see where he can reach but can't do it in Milan yet.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I also think that a loan would make the most sense because he's in an age where he needs to play and learn through match practice, experiences gained and earned in Serie A matches, not to train and being called up for 3-4 cameos in 12 months.

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Is he officialy gone? I read somewhere 4 mil to Alaves?

Last edited:

Schedule