The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

View Poll Results: Who's the player of the decade?
Sachin Tendulkar 18 38.30%
Shane Warne 6 12.77%
Muthiah Muralitharan 2 4.26%
Ricky Ponting 2 4.26%
Brian Lara 6 12.77%
Anil Kumble 1 2.13%
Rahul Dravid 2 4.26%
Glenn McGrath 0 0%
Inzamam-ul-Haq 4 8.51%
Jacques Kallis 3 6.38%
Graeme Smith 0 0%
Shaun Pollock 1 2.13%
Andrew Flintoff 1 2.13%
Other 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2007, 16:48   #21
GreatKalu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Tsar
Lara's been conserving himself for some years now, choosing which series to play and which to skip. That's something Sachin hasn't done, and though he looks in decent nick, the irreversible decline into mediocrity has started for him. Dravid is at his peak, Saurav is in terrific form and India's Chief of Selectors, Dilip Vengsarkar, has publicly announced that Virender Sehwag was included at the insistence of Dravid. I only hope we don't regret it. But I honestly don't understand the constant exclusion of Laxman from the ODI squad
Sachin en route to being mediocre? I won't believe it until I see it I probably watched 2-3 games with Sehwag and Laxman (I think the test series against Australia in India ... 2003, I think) where Laxman single handedly carried India in both innings (in Bombay I think) with 300+ runs in the first inning. His blend of consistency, power and technique was nice to watch and am really surprised he hasn't made himself a regular in the ODI team.

Have always preferred Dravid (despite the criticisms over his run rate) over Ganguly but that's because the later's almost never in form. Glad to hear he's doing good. Haven't seen Dilip ... is he Tamilian?
GreatKalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 17:10   #22
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Fav. Players: Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtherchot
Sachin en route to being mediocre? I won't believe it until I see it I probably watched 2-3 games with Sehwag and Laxman (I think the test series against Australia in India ... 2003, I think) where Laxman single handedly carried India in both innings (in Bombay I think) with 300+ runs in the first inning. His blend of consistency, power and technique was nice to watch and am really surprised he hasn't made himself a regular in the ODI team.

Have always preferred Dravid (despite the criticisms over his run rate) over Ganguly but that's because the later's almost never in form. Glad to hear he's doing good. Haven't seen Dilip ... is he Tamilian?

Nope Dilip Vengsarkar is from Maharashtra - he was a batsman, used to play in the 80s. I for one REALLY hope Sehwag can prove them wrong and blast a century or two. sehwag playing well is *almost* as effective as sachin playing well. Plays quick, and takes the game to the opposition.

Warm up matches started today, and theres a HUGE upset on the cards already. my pick to win it all, South Africa are down to 105/8 against minnows IRELAND.

South Africa 105/8
H Gibbs 21
A Hall 20*

Ireland
D Johnson 4/26
Langford-Smith 3/31

Signature

Save Us

radioactivenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 17:25   #23
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

We've lost 5 or 6 in a row. Just lowering our favourites tag

Roy should be back to face SA. Australia's week point is our bowling attack. I can't believe they opted to overlook Stuart Clarke at the expense of Mitchel Johnson or Tait. Though with Lee's injury he is in.

Whens the WC actually start?

Signature

"You cannot buy football, you construct it." - Arrigo Sacchi.
acerвιc wιт is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 20:12   #24
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Fav. Players: Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Paolo
We've lost 5 or 6 in a row. Just lowering our favourites tag

Roy should be back to face SA. Australia's week point is our bowling attack. I can't believe they opted to overlook Stuart Clarke at the expense of Mitchel Johnson or Tait. Though with Lee's injury he is in.

Whens the WC actually start?
First game is March 13 West Indies Vs Pakistan
Australia's first game is March 14th, Vs Scotland. Some start to the world cup for scotland.
And Stuart Clark is in the squad.
This is the squad:
Ricky Ponting (c)
Nathan Bracken
Stuart Clark
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Brad Haddin (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Brad Hodge
Brad Hogg
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Glenn McGrath
Andrew Symonds
Shaun Tait
Shane Watson

The only weak point in you rbowling is Brad Hogg. Batsman from the sub-continent love a slow little tweaking left-arm spinner

Pace is decently well covered with McGrath, Watson, Clarke and Bracken. Sure its not McGrath, Lee and Warne, but hey - noone wants Australia to win AGAIN.

Pakistan are the disasters in the pace bowling dept. Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami have been ruled out thru 'injury' (read drug abuse).

Signature

Save Us

Old 05-03-2007, 22:42   #25
GreatKalu
Banned

Any chance there are streams showing the games?
GreatKalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 00:25   #26
RATM
Senior Team Member

This is a pretty open World Cup.I think the two best teams have contested the finals in the last two World Cups so hopefully the same happens in this one.Pakistan and Australia were the best in '99 and India and Aussies in 2003 (although you could make a good case for South Africa in both if they weren't such chokers).A run-down of the top sides:

Australia:

The Aussies are still the favourites but by not as big a margin as it was thought of previously.I always knew that their bowling wasn't all that(simply because the current line-up has mostly performed in conditions which favour them).Mcgrath is still VERY good but he's 37.I'm really not too convinced with the other bowlers though simply because the conditions in this World Cup are different than in '99 or 2003.The pitches will be slower,flatter and the Aussie bowling,particularly the more inexperienced ones,I don't think they'll react too well when they are put under pressure or take a beating.No problems in batting though-pretty solid and reliable.

India:

Good,solid,experienced batting lineup but the form of Sehwag is a BIG BLOW.The guy can really change the complexion of any one-day match if he stays 10-15 overs on the pitch.Don't know what happened to Ashish Nehra or Balaji,I thought they were both good bowlers and had performed well.Can somebody here update me on their situation????Nehra was one of the best Indian fast bowler I know of who can bowl the best in the final overs.He was pretty versatile.The form of Irfan Pathan is a big blow as well-the guy is simply irreplacable when he's on form.I don't know how Sreesanth or Zaheer will perform in the tail-end overs.They can pick up a wicket but I think they will go for runs.Good,experienced spin bowlers in Harbajhan and Kumble + handy part-time bowlers.

Pakistan:

They haven't had a succesful or consistent opening batting pair since Amir Sohail and Saeed Anward in the 90's.They have a pathetic opening pair now + their keeper is awful both with the gloves and the bat.They had a minimal chance before but after the injuries of Abdul Razzaq,Shoaib AKhtar and Mohammad Asif (the best in-form bowler in the world IMO)...even a semi-final place would be considered a huge achievement now.Strength is their middle-order batting.

West Indies:

I hope Lara wins this WOrld Cup esp. considering the troubles this side had to endure and their past glory.Chris Gale can be explosive as an opener but apart from Lara,not much else stands out in this team.However,they perfrom well at home and with an explosive crowd and LUCK,they're outsiders for this world cup.Main strength is that they don't have much individual brilliance but COLLECTIVELY they all help each other out.

South Africa:

Good,batting lineup and all can play well on their day but apart from Kallis-I'm afraid there's not one more consistent World-Class batsmen in their side.I know Gibbs can be explosive but in terms of consisteny,Kallis is head-and-shoulders above any batsman in that team. A true master.The pitches in the Windies will be slow and the grounds will be small so not to sure about South African bowling.SHaun Pollock is brilliant but I'm not too sure about Ntini.Conditions will be different than they are used.Nel,Ntini are capable of taking wickets but they are also capable of being very expensive.Shaun Pollock is the only reliable bowler that can keep the runs VERY tight.

England:

Very good,solid side when they're all playing but not much depth so any regular out will prove to be a blow.Even when they won the Ashes series at home against Australia,they still weren't considered a good one-day side.I think that is because apart from Andrew Flintoff and Kevin Pieterson they don't have anyone that can really accelerate the pace of a game and you really need that in one-days.Matthew Bell and Paul Collingwood are very good players-hard to get out but none can force the pace and that's why they're much better Test Players than they are ODI players.Loss of Simon Jones will prove to be a blow,he's fast and quick in the air and can reverse-swing the ball-a technique which is priceless when bowling in slow,flat pitches.Don't put too much thought on their recent triangle series win against Australia.They will meet entirely different conditions in the Windies.They WILL have to play Matthew Hoggard though.

Sri-Lanka:

Too many mediocre players mixed with World Class.Rely too much on Jayasuria,Jayawardene and Muralitharan.A semi-final would be a good achievement.

New Zealand:

The dark-horses.I think they have a better side now than they have had in the previous 3 World Cups.They will need their full,fit side to have any chance in this competition though.Won't be surprised at all if they reached the semi-finals.

Last edited by RATM; 06-03-2007 at 00:32.
RATM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 00:46   #27
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivenerd
First game is March 13 West Indies Vs Pakistan
Australia's first game is March 14th, Vs Scotland. Some start to the world cup for scotland.
And Stuart Clark is in the squad.
This is the squad:
Ricky Ponting (c)
Nathan Bracken
Stuart Clark
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Brad Haddin (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Brad Hodge
Brad Hogg
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Glenn McGrath
Andrew Symonds
Shaun Tait
Shane Watson

The only weak point in you rbowling is Brad Hogg. Batsman from the sub-continent love a slow little tweaking left-arm spinner

Pace is decently well covered with McGrath, Watson, Clarke and Bracken. Sure its not McGrath, Lee and Warne, but hey - noone wants Australia to win AGAIN.

Pakistan are the disasters in the pace bowling dept. Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami have been ruled out thru 'injury' (read drug abuse).
Hoggy... never been one of my favourites though we really don't have anyone else to select as a spin bowler. It was out of him and Craig White though White's struggled, not so much with the bat. He is a gun with the bat in his hand. I just can't understand the select of Watson???????
He is a disgraceful player.
Though its a the Caribbean. Fast bowlers dream pitch.

Signature

Old 06-03-2007, 02:25   #28
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATM
New Zealand:

The dark-horses.I think they have a better side now than they have had in the previous 3 World Cups.They will need their full,fit side to have any chance in this competition though.Won't be surprised at all if they reached the semi-finals.
I think these guys have a fantastic team, and a great captain. Its a pity Chris Cairns isnt there any more. With him in this team, they could be world beaters . This is definnitely the best ever side theyve sent to a WC and it is good enough to win it all with a bit of luck. Oram and Fleming are absolute rocks in the batting, and Bond is a phenomenal bowler.

Stephen Fleming
Shane Bond
James Franklin
Peter Fulton
Mark Gillespie
Brendon McCullum (wk)
Craig McMillan
Michael Mason
Jacob Oram
Jeetan Patel
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor
Daryl Tuffey
Daniel Vettori
Lou Vincent

Theyve have good results in the past too. And this is another one of those teams, that you feel really deserve to do well. Theyve been hard working, and never met with much success. Id be happy to see them reach the latter stages.
RATM, where you from dude?

Signature

Save Us

Old 06-03-2007, 04:34   #29
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

If NZ can get Oram back on board they can go all the way.

Signature

Old 06-03-2007, 04:48   #30
ORez
The Red & Black Army

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoMike
If someone could tell me who the underdog is, I'll be rooting for them.
Certianly the Kiwis...! They have the potential to kick ass this time, lets see.

Signature
We keep signing players who are hardly making an impact in their own leagues...! And sell those that do good here.

We need to sign forwards from Spain, Midfielders from France and develop our own defenders.
ORez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:04   #31
Italian Tsar
Face

Fav. Players: Maldini, Joe Cole, Owen, Cannavaro, Riquelme, Iniesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtherchot

Unfortunately yeah. His genius is intact, but his body has been showing signs of the results of a 18 year career in international cricket for some time now. First he had a back injury, then a tennis elbow, surgery, this and that and nowadays is more 'efficient' than 'flamboyant'. I think he'll be doing himself a favour if he were to retire from ODIs after the WC, preserving himself for tests.

Laxman has been kept our of the team due to his fielding abilities - or the lack of it. But this was the man Ponting once said 'would never have been dropped' had he been Australian. The guy's got class written all over him. And its not as if his fielding is that bad either - his catching is spot on, and only chasing the ball and running between the wickets can be classified as drawbacks - but still, who's perfect? Yuvraj's coming back from a major injury and Sehwag is in dreadful touch. We could've done with some experience in the form of Laxman. I only hope we don't regret it.

I've always been a Dravid fan,and not least 'cause we share our birthday He's the perfect gentleman cricketer, but perhaps too noble for being India's captain. Had he been English, it would've fit him like a glove. Still, he's not been doing badly, only I feel he should be more forceful and assertive.

Quote:
Do you think Symonds will be at his best in the WC? I think his influence will be minimal, given his injury.

They keep writing how Mitchell Johnson is 'incredibly talented' but he gives away too many runs and gets far too few wickets. Clarke is the perfect McGrath heir.

Quote:
Its a pity Chris Cairns isnt there any more.
Oh. What a player. Dashing, with Hasselhoff-like looks and capable of changing the course of a match with a bludgeoning of the willow. One of my childhood heroes. Cairns, Rhodes and Klusener.

Signature

KINGS ALL
Italian Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:27   #32
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Tsar
Do you think Symonds will be at his best in the WC? I think his influence will be minimal, given his injury.

They keep writing how Mitchell Johnson is 'incredibly talented' but he gives away too many runs and gets far too few wickets. Clarke is the perfect McGrath heir.
Roy is huge to our side. We havent won since he has been Injured. Johnson is a nothing bowler. They picked him over Stuart Clarke and he isn't even proven on the international stage. The same is with Watson.

Signature

Old 06-03-2007, 13:16   #33
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Quote:
Roy is huge to our side. We havent won since he has been Injured. Johnson is a nothing bowler. They picked him over Stuart Clarke and he isn't even proven on the international stage. The same is with Watson.
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt watson an allrounder, and a pretty useful bat at that?

Signature

Save Us

Old 07-03-2007, 00:49   #34
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Quote:
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt watson an allrounder, and a pretty useful bat at that?
If that whats you want to call it. He is an allrounder at being shithouse in every possible department.

Signature

Old 07-03-2007, 15:22   #35
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Quote:
If that whats you want to call it. He is an allrounder at being shithouse in every possible department.
Lol well the 'allrounder' opened batting yesterday and scored 81 in a warm-up match.
Definitely looks like a useful bat

Signature

Save Us

Old 09-03-2007, 09:02   #36
ARNOLD RIMMER
Second Technician

Fav. Players: Pippo, DeSciglio

Ok, own up. Who voted for England?

They have no chance in my opinion. Oz gets my vote.

Signature

ARNOLD RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:04   #37
Pipa
Rotten Apple

Although I don't know much about cricket but still .. INDIA!!!
Pipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:33   #38
NobodyCares
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Maldini , Rui Costa , Nesta

The practices matches are going on now , and Looking at India they got dogded by The Netherlands again.....and Face Indies tomorrow , with Ganguly injured.
Rest Australia are regaining form after the NZ whitewash.
and Lee is in?? even with a injury?? And i thought rest of the teams were gettin luck....

Signature
NobodyCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:35   #39
NobodyCares
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Clarke was a gem in 2003. And even in the Tour of India....would be bad not to see him play.

Signature
Old 10-03-2007, 16:14   #40
NobodyCares
AC Milan Legend

India busted WI 85 allout in a practice game.
Lolzzz

Signature