The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Discussions

AC Milan Discussions Talk about AC Milan's tactics, AC Milan news, events, history, etc., in here. Also find out details on how to travel to Milan and buy AC Milan tickets.

View Poll Results: What do you make of our transfer campaign so far?
We haven't done much, but the management know what they're doing. I trust them. 80 34.93%
Very disappointing. I thought we'd be much more swifter. 123 53.71%
Other 26 11.35%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-07-2007, 12:17   #61
Tsar
Banned

It seems to me that Milan's transfer strategy is old fashioned - like its usual targets. Milan still go down the old school route of taking their time pondering over a signing, probably trying to grind down the asking price, when in truth all it does is allow other suitors into the frame which at worst causes Milan to lose the player, (like Suazo), or at best jack up the price, (Gilardino).

But thats just not how bussiness is done these days, Man Utd are the best example of this. In previous seasons Ferguson and the old administration there used this method, which lead to them missing out on Ronaldinho to Barcelona, and paying way over the odds for the players they did manage to sign. But now they have by in large changed tact, got in early and moved deals along as quick as possible. Which has got them the players they wanted, for a price that is acceptable. Barca have done the same thing, Milito- £12m, Toure- £6.5m, Abidal- £9.5m, Henry- £16m. Then look at Real Madrid, who sat about and were slow off the mark, they ended up paying 30M for Pepe alone. In the present market I think you've got to be quick to be competitive, which Milan certainly isn't, hence why there have been so many disasters for Milan in recent seasons.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 14:23   #62
menon_inc
¤ I Still Believe ¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar
It seems to me that Milan's transfer strategy is old fashioned - like its usual targets. Milan still go down the old school route of taking their time pondering over a signing, probably trying to grind down the asking price, when in truth all it does is allow other suitors into the frame which at worst causes Milan to lose the player, (like Suazo), or at best jack up the price, (Gilardino).

But thats just not how bussiness is done these days, Man Utd are the best example of this. In previous seasons Ferguson and the old administration there used this method, which lead to them missing out on Ronaldinho to Barcelona, and paying way over the odds for the players they did manage to sign. But now they have by in large changed tact, got in early and moved deals along as quick as possible. Which has got them the players they wanted, for a price that is acceptable. Barca have done the same thing, Milito- £12m, Toure- £6.5m, Abidal- £9.5m, Henry- £16m. Then look at Real Madrid, who sat about and were slow off the mark, they ended up paying 30M for Pepe alone. In the present market I think you've got to be quick to be competitive, which Milan certainly isn't, hence why there have been so many disasters for Milan in recent seasons.
I dont think i agree with you on that. I remember reading some interview a month or so ago with Berlu son who claimed that Galliani is actually doing a good job+tried signing players but Berlu kept pulling the plug on the deals. I also read last week that Milan had deals agreed for Ribery+Toni but Silvio decided to pull the plug on the move. I guess his main target has always been Sheva+Ronaldinho with E'to being the next on the line. There are new reports that came out this week that claim Milan will make a 80 million bid for Ronaldinho and Sheva is having talks with Roman about coming back to Milan. Well if both this deals go trough, Berlu would have met his transfer objectives in the same way Fergie and the others did. Is it something we are all excited and happy with? Probably not but we have done well over the last 5 years or so and have been the most consistant team in europe during that period. I guess they will stick with the same policy till something bad happens.

Signature
AC MILAN --THE BEST THERE IS
THE BEST THERE WAS
AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE
-----------http://talkmilan.blogspot.com/--------

Legends
menon_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 14:25   #63
GreatKalu
Banned

I find it hard to comprehend exactly what our management's stand is. But I cannot disagree with Tsar here because he has stated facts.

They say they are carefully weighing their options, yet are ready to seal a deal with Suazo over 'dinner' (the matter being brought up there + then itself apparently) without the player's consent - hardly careful by any means.

They feed us stories about their supposed star targets, yet are quick to mention them beyond their financial capacities. What looks like undecided tendencies don't bode well with the fact that there is room for improvement in our squad + our options are being decreased by the day.

I only hope that, with Oil's departure, we get a decent enough striker for cover, and that Ronaldo has a fantastic season, as well as Gila and Gourcuff. Frankly, as in the poll, I've been disappointed too often recently to hope.
GreatKalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 15:59   #64
Wild
*Rejuvenation*

Fav. Players: Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba

Quote:
Originally Posted by menon_inc
I dont think i agree with you on that. I remember reading some interview a month or so ago with Berlu son who claimed that Galliani is actually doing a good job+tried signing players but Berlu kept pulling the plug on the deals. I also read last week that Milan had deals agreed for Ribery+Toni but Silvio decided to pull the plug on the move. I guess his main target has always been Sheva+Ronaldinho with E'to being the next on the line. There are new reports that came out this week that claim Milan will make a 80 million bid for Ronaldinho and Sheva is having talks with Roman about coming back to Milan. Well if both this deals go trough, Berlu would have met his transfer objectives in the same way Fergie and the others did. Is it something we are all excited and happy with? Probably not but we have done well over the last 5 years or so and have been the most consistant team in europe during that period. I guess they will stick with the same policy till something bad happens.
all what u said lead 2 the same conclusion that our transfer policy is crap.
G doesn’t have the balls 2 stand up 4 B + obviously both doest know what should b done since Ribery wont fit into A plans + a defender & a LB should b a priority.

We all watched Barca last season & we all noticed they need 2 reinforce their backline more than anything & that’s exactly what they v been doing over 2 seasons : Zambrotta – Thuram – Melito – Abidal……………..
@ least they know their weakness & @ the end they will solve it while we live in the la la world & we can never solve a problem that we don’t even know it exist even if we struck lucky from time 2 time.
Having a good transfer plan that fail is much better than having a crap plan that go lucky coz @ the end good planning will prevail luck.

Lately Milan v done more bad transfers than good & that’s a fact no matter if we signed players we want or not.
A good transfer plan = buying players that do u good regardless if u win or not.
A good season = winning regardless if u have a good transfer plan or not.
My point is even if Milan won the CL their transfer plan was crap since most they recent signing failed.
And here we r arguying about transfer plans & not good or bad seasons.
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 19:15   #65
DugiNesta
the epic #3

Fav. Players: Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi

We don't need any, CB, Left back or Midfielder.
Not some expensive right back wouldn't be so bad, knowing that Cafu may leave this season and Oddo can have some injury, we could need one. We don't need a Left back cause for that postion we have, Janku wich amaze me with his games last season and with Serginho which can be a good sub sometimes and Kala. And I can't understand some that want our midfield to change That was what bring us glory last season.

I wanted Saviola I adored that guy, I wanted him more than Eto'o. But I don't know why Milan didn't sing him, they didn't even asked more him. He's gonna have a great season at Real. Barca will regret that they let him go. Now after Saviola is not avaliable anymore. I want Sheva back, he knows better than anyone how to play in Mian.

But anyways I believe our menangment. They said they'll get a big name this summer and I believe that Berlu will get one.

Signature
DugiNesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 19:41   #66
gahanthegod
violator

Fav. Players: Dave Gahan, Martin L. Gore, Alan Wilder, Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugiNesta
I want Sheva back, he knows better than anyone how to play in Mian.
Hey, wasn't he a traitor?

Signature

"...a legendary deep pop group from somewhere in the future off the edge of saturn, a group whose songs coat the imagination with dread and danger and desperation, with nearness and absence, a group whose songs fire the imagination with hope against hope and the exact opposite."
gahanthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 19:44   #67
gahanthegod
violator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teis
I don't know about you, but those players were called old like 3 seasons ago. And when I see them play games like the one vs Man Utd, I don't care. That's how football should be played, and if you can play like that I don't care how old you are
Count me 5 big games we've played decently and won this season.

Man. Utd is an unique match. Winning that game doesn't change the fact that our defense's average age is 31,5.

They were old 3 years ago, but now they're 3 years older. LOL.

We definitely need reinforcements in every area except the midfield.

Signature

"...a legendary deep pop group from somewhere in the future off the edge of saturn, a group whose songs coat the imagination with dread and danger and desperation, with nearness and absence, a group whose songs fire the imagination with hope against hope and the exact opposite."
Old 14-07-2007, 20:57   #68
DugiNesta
the epic #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snn
Hey, wasn't he a traitor?
Yeah but he's the only solution.

Signature
Old 14-07-2007, 22:44   #69
gahanthegod
violator

Quote:
Yeah but he's the only solution.
LOL, but once I thought that "There's no place in Milan for traitors".

Signature

Old 15-07-2007, 01:04   #70
DugiNesta
the epic #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snn
LOL, but once I thought that "There's no place in Milan for traitors".
Better with him than with anyone, eh ?

Signature
Old 15-07-2007, 01:17   #71
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

We just need a second striker. Atleast that. It's the minimum. We have shit loads of depth in the defense line and midfield. Considering we didn't make a concrete offer for Tiago its inevitable that Gourcuff is going to be tested in Pirlo's role.

For people who are saying sign a CB... wake up for FFS. We have about 4 or 5 solid options Internationals and ex-Internatioanls.

Signature

"You cannot buy football, you construct it." - Arrigo Sacchi.
acerвιc wιт is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 01:36   #72
gahanthegod
violator

Quote:
Better with him than with anyone, eh ?
That is for sure, but I was just referring to your inconsistent thoughts about Sheva, which we'll see on every member of this forum if Sheva returns. Everyone here who has insulted Sheva will eat their words.

Good, when he plays for us. Bad, when he leaves us. Bah.

Signature

Old 15-07-2007, 02:52   #73
Beemer
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_il_diavolo
Real had won 3 UCLs from 98-02 but still went out and spent money on Beckham, Owen and Co. ... i am not saying Milan should do the same but hoping B+G would want to fill the little holes...
And what did Real win during the Beckham/Owen era, besides one measly La Liga title? Zippo. Four years later, we have the World's Most Famous Wigger and Bimbo Spice on our shores now. Thank you, Calderon.

Signature
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 03:13   #74
albion tifo
ACM

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Pipo, Boban, MVB, Gullit, Baresi, Billy, Seedorf, Zambrotta, Weah, Stam, Zlatan

We need a striker and a left back. Janku isn't for us and Serginho lost his dynamism. The point is what we can get for the moment. Its only Sheva and Zambrotta avaliable for the moment I guess. Maybe we can solve something for future and that is Pato.It isn't all to our old fashioned managment to blame for our poor activities in market. Transfers are compared with gambling. Who would believed in 04' than old Cafu and young Kaka will do that impact for us.They was our major signigns after we get champions league.

Signature
albion tifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 04:18   #75
rosso_neri
Banned

Fav. Players: Gattuso, Kaka, Ambrosini, Maldini, Nesta, Cassano, Crespo, Montolivo, De Rossi, Batistuta

a mistake in letting Oliveira go....mark my words
rosso_neri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 06:55   #76
Beemer
AC Milan Icon

No, it wasn't. He was never going to fit into our system, and he had ample opportunities to do so.

Signature
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 09:16   #77
Italian Tsar
Face

Fav. Players: Maldini, Joe Cole, Owen, Cannavaro, Riquelme, Iniesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosso_neri
a mistake in letting Oliveira go....mark my words
I am afraid you'll be proved right only if he comes back to Serie A with another club and sets the league ablaze. I can't see that happening, but it may.

Signature

KINGS ALL
Italian Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 09:50   #78
rosso_neri
Banned

Fav. Players: Gattuso, Kaka, Ambrosini, Maldini, Nesta, Cassano, Crespo, Montolivo, De Rossi, Batistuta

la liga top goalscorer for zaragoza
rosso_neri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 09:57   #79
roy_il_diavolo
L'Avvocato

Fav. Players: Maldini,Baggio,Rivera,MvB,Totti, Nesta, Del Piero, Buffon, Kaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTaylor
And what did Real win during the Beckham/Owen era, besides one measly La Liga title? Zippo. Four years later, we have the World's Most Famous Wigger and Bimbo Spice on our shores now. Thank you, Calderon.
I mentioned that any such Galactico signing wasnt needed here.

Best of Luck to you and ur fellow countrymen.... it wont be easy tolerating his face everyday on both the celebrity/sports channels/papers.

I am not exactly sure but the classical definition of a bimbo was goodlooking+stupid.... victoria is UGLY !!!!

Signature
IS, WAS and WILL BE ..... MILAN
roy_il_diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 10:36   #80
Tsar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by menon_inc
Well its basically what Wild said, regardless of who the targets are and how close Galliani gets to signing them - the end result of the "policy" as a whole doesn't pull it off. So transfer targets good or bad aren't coming through - which will lead to late/inflated/overrated panic buys.

Some might be saying the squad is pretty much fine as it is and that the management are doing alright on the market because we don't need reinforcements. Well thats bollocks, anyone who watched Milan's performance in Serie A last season can't fail to notice that the squad was left lacking in all 3 outfield departments. If it wasn't then why has the very same management been trying to sign defenders, central midfielders, attacking midfielders and strikers? I don't think there is any doubt that the management have identified Milan's weaknesses, even though at times it seems they haven't acted on them. But you don't attempt to sign Abidal on whim - so they like me conclude a defender is needer. You don't try and sign Riquelme, Tiago, Edmilson, Motta, Ribery & Emerson on a whim - again they have concluded that a midfielder is needed. And you certainly don't try and sign a striker like Suazo, Milito, Toni, Fred, Henry, Shevchenko, Eto'o & Drogba on a whim - which once more identifies this department as needing replenished by the management.

The argument about the transfer policy is not about wether signings are needed, there is consensus on that with most fans and the management. Its about how effective that policy is on obtaining the needed signings - and based on current events that policy has failed - so far not a succesful deal in all of those many targets, most already signed for another club or commited themselves to their current one.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote