Marco Giampaolo Thread

nekky

Big Muffin
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic Kaká T.Silva Shevschenko Pato Nesta Maldini Theo
Results and insipid football are closely connected, no?

GP's biggest mistake is that he knows one way of playing football and tried to bring it over from Sampdoria to Milan.
Even freaking Gattuso knew limitations of this squad and didn't force them to play what they can't play.

Honestly, gattuso was fully capable to coach this milan to play sexy football. Before bonaventura was injured, the team actually showed glimpses of really good football, but he changed the team to a much more defensive oriented team. I guess he knew the team lacked quality on the front side and begged to get some quality players on the wings, that unfortunately never came. I'm not saying gattuso is some master coach, but from what I've seen, he seems like a much better coach and understood the team better than giampaolo and if he had leao and rebic last season, I'm pretty sure we would have been in CL this season

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Maldini is holding his breath, as he fears Giampaolo might be the second coming of Gasperini at Inter.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Results and insipid football are closely connected, no?

GP's biggest mistake is that he knows one way of playing football and tried to bring it over from Sampdoria to Milan.
Even freaking Gattuso knew limitations of this squad and didn't force them to play what they can't play.

Not at all. There are guys like Wenger who have built a career out of good-looking minimum-efficient football without getting worthwhile results.

The management wanted a manager who could play offensive, 4-3-1-2 football with a flamboyant midfield and attack. They hired a coach who has done so in the past. They didn't have the money to hire capable players suited to that football. The coach turned out to be incompetent at making available players fit that style. Eventually, the project failed.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
its time

mi16476.jpg

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Honestly, gattuso was fully capable to coach this milan to play sexy football. Before bonaventura was injured, the team actually showed glimpses of really good football, but he changed the team to a much more defensive oriented team. I guess he knew the team lacked quality on the front side and begged to get some quality players on the wings, that unfortunately never came. I'm not saying gattuso is some master coach, but from what I've seen, he seems like a much better coach and understood the team better than giampaolo and if he had leao and rebic last season, I'm pretty sure we would have been in CL this season

:thumbsup:

yet we chose to fire the guy and get the mastermind of GP... no clue why the management was so disrespectful to Rino but hey this is current Milan, it's run by vulture fund assholes and Ivan Gazidis.. what do we really expect?

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not at all. There are guys like Wenger who have built a career out of good-looking minimum-efficient football without getting worthwhile results.

The management wanted a manager who could play offensive, 4-3-1-2 football with a flamboyant midfield and attack. They hired a coach who has done so in the past. They didn't have the money to hire capable players suited to that football. The coach turned out to be incompetent at making available players fit that style. Eventually, the project failed.

I’m not sure if I completely agree with this though. Outside of the CAM, which I’ll admit is important to that system, he has talent. A lot of our talent is young and needs to be refined, which is what I think he was actually brought in to do, but there’s talent nonetheless. More than the previous managers have had.

What I’m so disappointed in, especially this season, is the lack of pressing and (still) the lack of speed in the build up play. We have a young team, let them run! Bennacer doesn’t always make the right decisions, but he is an upgrade to Biglia in both those departments. He is a good presser, he won the ball back a lot at the base of the midfield for empoli, and he is always looking to play the ball forward and QUICKLY. Kessie is a frustrating player, but coaches like the way he drives the ball forward and his athleticism. He is tailor made for a high pressing system, as well as a system where the ball is played forward quickly so players can flood the box. Hakan is a willing runner, Paqueta is a willing runner. Piatek doesn’t have the quickness or link up play to succeed in this system either, the ball is played too slowly around the midfield. Very disappointing, there’s no urgency, and that’s a big problem regardless of the teams quality.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I’m not sure if I completely agree with this though. Outside of the CAM, which I’ll admit is important to that system, he has talent. A lot of our talent is young and needs to be refined, which is what I think he was actually brought in to do, but there’s talent nonetheless. More than the previous managers have had.

What I’m so disappointed in, especially this season, is the lack of pressing and (still) the lack of speed in the build up play. We have a young team, let them run! Bennacer doesn’t always make the right decisions, but he is an upgrade to Biglia in both those departments. He is a good presser, he won the ball back a lot at the base of the midfield for empoli, and he is always looking to play the ball forward and QUICKLY. Kessie is a frustrating player, but coaches like the way he drives the ball forward and his athleticism. He is tailor made for a high pressing system, as well as a system where the ball is played forward quickly so players can flood the box. Hakan is a willing runner, Paqueta is a willing runner. Piatek doesn’t have the quickness or link up play to succeed in this system either, the ball is played too slowly around the midfield. Very disappointing, there’s no urgency, and that’s a big problem regardless of the teams quality.

In general, when I read your posts and brk's posts, there's so much focus on pressing and you guys sometimes seem to judge everything based on pressing structures - I do understand that it's a trend nowadays for tactical analyses to focus on innovative pressing structures based on modern coaching philosophies.

BUT, Giampaolo is a guy who plays 60% possession. Without a coherent possession game-plan, everything else is pointless. That's where we have failed miserably. Both his Empoli and Sampdoria teams had well-drilled ideas on what to do when they had the ball. Not a single Milan player seem to have imbibed those ideas. I think in some cases, this is because the player is simply not good enough for quick-thinking, quick-passing football. Suso, Kessie, Piatek all fall in that category. All 3 of them were projected as key players for us and that responsibility lies on the management.

In certain other cases, Giampaolo has failed due to his cowardice (in not playing these guys enough) and/or due to lack of effort in training in all likelihood. Bennacer, Krunic, Hakan, Paqueta are all potentially great players in his style. But not one of them has shined.

The blame is clearly divided in my eyes.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I am excited to see GP go, I don't think he's the guy for us. But Piolo??? come on! Why fire GP when you're replacing him with Pioli??? Just keep GP while Spaletti resolves the Inter contract and if GP doesn't improve by that time change him with a real coach in Spaletti. Pioli is just more of the same bs... lateral moves once again, welcome to the current Milan where we change shit just to change shit...

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
I am excited to see GP go, I don't think he's the guy for us. But Piolo??? come on! Why fire GP when you're replacing him with Pioli??? Just keep GP while Spaletti resolves the Inter contract and if GP doesn't improve by that time change him with a real coach in Spaletti. Pioli is just more of the same bs... lateral moves once again, welcome to the current Milan where we change shit just to change shit...

I agree.

What an absolute mess we are in. Gattuso gets the boot because 5th and 1 point from 4th wasn't good enough. We signed some promising players in the summer but employ GP who has won nothing and has selected line-ups which appear to show he has absolutely no knowledge of football. Dropping Leao against Genoa simply is unfathomable.

He is now to be replaced by Piolo who again has won nothing and has a pretty poor track record. Will he be better than GP? I would have thought so my friend who doesn't even follow football could do a better job than GP.

At least if Gattuso had of stayed we could have built on last season. We truly are an embarrassment at the moment.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
I don't think I've ever seen a Milan manager get fired so fast

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
So passes Giampaolo, master technician of a useless system

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
I've been following Milan since the early 90's and I don't think I have ever seen a coach this bad. I can't recall team selections as bad as GP's against Udinese and Genoa. He simply did not have a clue.

Good riddance.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I can understand firing him with a significant and clear upgrade (Spalletti), but I do not getting firing him to hire a bum like Pioli

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
In general, when I read your posts and brk's posts, there's so much focus on pressing and you guys sometimes seem to judge everything based on pressing structures - I do understand that it's a trend nowadays for tactical analyses to focus on innovative pressing structures based on modern coaching philosophies.

BUT, Giampaolo is a guy who plays 60% possession. Without a coherent possession game-plan, everything else is pointless. That's where we have failed miserably. Both his Empoli and Sampdoria teams had well-drilled ideas on what to do when they had the ball. Not a single Milan player seem to have imbibed those ideas. I think in some cases, this is because the player is simply not good enough for quick-thinking, quick-passing football. Suso, Kessie, Piatek all fall in that category. All 3 of them were projected as key players for us and that responsibility lies on the management.

In certain other cases, Giampaolo has failed due to his cowardice (in not playing these guys enough) and/or due to lack of effort in training in all likelihood. Bennacer, Krunic, Hakan, Paqueta are all potentially great players in his style. But not one of them has shined.

The blame is clearly divided in my eyes.

I agree, possession is key and one of the best attributes to his narrow style is quick ball movement, which it sounds like you’re getting at. Milan since allegri has often enjoyed large amounts of possession, but we can all probably agree that it’s been almost drearily slow for almost all of those seasons. Often times, the back line is the one touching the ball the most, not the midfield, and the ball is moving around slowly in the back, when all of us would rather see the team moving the ball around, probing right outside of the box, not at the halfway line.

When teams enjoy large possession but move the ball too slowly, they typically lose methodical attacking plays, and rely on individualism. Gattuso found a good attacking structure where Jack and Kessie would flood the box with late runs, and we were scoring, but also leaking too many goals, and he rightfully changed the system. But for the most part of several seasons, Milan’s attacking play has been slow build, get the ball wide(to Suso and Çalhanoğlu/Jack), let them dribble into a double team, and cross the ball to a player in the box. There are numerous big teams who moved the ball too slowly sometimes, PSG and Barcelona often struggle in the champions league with this, and that’s part of a reason I think they have struggled vs lesser, but more organized teams recently.

My big disappointment for GP is that you’re right, properly played, four narrow centermids should always have multiple options, and the ball should be pinged around quickly. And cowardice is important here, because GP has simply not had the balls to play a midfield of say, Bennacer Hakan Jack and Paqueta. That’s on him though, if he’s favoring the wrong players I won’t just give up and say it’s because he didn’t have the right players. The pressing is another issue here, because in a narrow four man midfield, once the ball is lost, the midfield is congested enough that creating turnovers high up the field becomes a lot easier theoretically. And turnovers high up the field leads to a lot of space for attackers, teams like Liverpool, Juventus, Tottenham, and Atletico have used midfield pressing in different ways to help their forwards, all while not being blessed with creative midfield geniuses like Madrid, Napoli, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern have. I guess overall I agree we might not have a tailor made team for Giampaolos possession game, but intensity and urgency should always be there, and the team has lost any of that it had under Gattuso

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d like to hear his side of the story if it doesn’t contain more time and experience.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I can understand firing him with a significant and clear upgrade (Spalletti), but I do not getting firing him to hire a bum like Pioli

I can understand replacing him even with Siri

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I agree, possession is key and one of the best attributes to his narrow style is quick ball movement, which it sounds like you’re getting at. Milan since allegri has often enjoyed large amounts of possession, but we can all probably agree that it’s been almost drearily slow for almost all of those seasons. Often times, the back line is the one touching the ball the most, not the midfield, and the ball is moving around slowly in the back, when all of us would rather see the team moving the ball around, probing right outside of the box, not at the halfway line.

When teams enjoy large possession but move the ball too slowly, they typically lose methodical attacking plays, and rely on individualism. Gattuso found a good attacking structure where Jack and Kessie would flood the box with late runs, and we were scoring, but also leaking too many goals, and he rightfully changed the system. But for the most part of several seasons, Milan’s attacking play has been slow build, get the ball wide(to Suso and Çalhanoğlu/Jack), let them dribble into a double team, and cross the ball to a player in the box. There are numerous big teams who moved the ball too slowly sometimes, PSG and Barcelona often struggle in the champions league with this, and that’s part of a reason I think they have struggled vs lesser, but more organized teams recently.

My big disappointment for GP is that you’re right, properly played, four narrow centermids should always have multiple options, and the ball should be pinged around quickly. And cowardice is important here, because GP has simply not had the balls to play a midfield of say, Bennacer Hakan Jack and Paqueta. That’s on him though, if he’s favoring the wrong players I won’t just give up and say it’s because he didn’t have the right players. The pressing is another issue here, because in a narrow four man midfield, once the ball is lost, the midfield is congested enough that creating turnovers high up the field becomes a lot easier theoretically. And turnovers high up the field leads to a lot of space for attackers, teams like Liverpool, Juventus, Tottenham, and Atletico have used midfield pressing in different ways to help their forwards, all while not being blessed with creative midfield geniuses like Madrid, Napoli, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern have. I guess overall I agree we might not have a tailor made team for Giampaolos possession game, but intensity and urgency should always be there, and the team has lost any of that it had under Gattuso

Agreed with all of this. Giampaolo's teams had never had these issues in the last few years. They used to play with intensity and press hard as well. So it remains a mystery why he couldn't implement that at Milan, while the lack of quick, offensive interplay can be attributed to a lack of the right players for that. Maybe it's something as simple as failing at a big stage. Maybe he was never meant to coach a big team, as commoders kept saying in their infinite wisdom.

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
Since we'll be clowning around for quite some more time, why not just stop pretending to be serious and promote Bonera

At least that way we'll get to laugh and stay miserable the same time

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
No idea, does he leave with GP or still at Milan?

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Fraud.... good riddance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn’t nice to know you.