The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:53   #261
Qaas
Mystery Guy

Fav. Players: KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenebra View Post

Qaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:52   #262
Balo45
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
In general, when I read your posts and brk's posts, there's so much focus on pressing and you guys sometimes seem to judge everything based on pressing structures - I do understand that it's a trend nowadays for tactical analyses to focus on innovative pressing structures based on modern coaching philosophies.

BUT, Giampaolo is a guy who plays 60% possession. Without a coherent possession game-plan, everything else is pointless. That's where we have failed miserably. Both his Empoli and Sampdoria teams had well-drilled ideas on what to do when they had the ball. Not a single Milan player seem to have imbibed those ideas. I think in some cases, this is because the player is simply not good enough for quick-thinking, quick-passing football. Suso, Kessie, Piatek all fall in that category. All 3 of them were projected as key players for us and that responsibility lies on the management.

In certain other cases, Giampaolo has failed due to his cowardice (in not playing these guys enough) and/or due to lack of effort in training in all likelihood. Bennacer, Krunic, Hakan, Paqueta are all potentially great players in his style. But not one of them has shined.

The blame is clearly divided in my eyes.

I agree, possession is key and one of the best attributes to his narrow style is quick ball movement, which it sounds like youíre getting at. Milan since allegri has often enjoyed large amounts of possession, but we can all probably agree that itís been almost drearily slow for almost all of those seasons. Often times, the back line is the one touching the ball the most, not the midfield, and the ball is moving around slowly in the back, when all of us would rather see the team moving the ball around, probing right outside of the box, not at the halfway line.

When teams enjoy large possession but move the ball too slowly, they typically lose methodical attacking plays, and rely on individualism. Gattuso found a good attacking structure where Jack and Kessie would flood the box with late runs, and we were scoring, but also leaking too many goals, and he rightfully changed the system. But for the most part of several seasons, Milanís attacking play has been slow build, get the ball wide(to Suso and «alhanoğlu/Jack), let them dribble into a double team, and cross the ball to a player in the box. There are numerous big teams who moved the ball too slowly sometimes, PSG and Barcelona often struggle in the champions league with this, and thatís part of a reason I think they have struggled vs lesser, but more organized teams recently.

My big disappointment for GP is that youíre right, properly played, four narrow centermids should always have multiple options, and the ball should be pinged around quickly. And cowardice is important here, because GP has simply not had the balls to play a midfield of say, Bennacer Hakan Jack and Paqueta. Thatís on him though, if heís favoring the wrong players I wonít just give up and say itís because he didnít have the right players. The pressing is another issue here, because in a narrow four man midfield, once the ball is lost, the midfield is congested enough that creating turnovers high up the field becomes a lot easier theoretically. And turnovers high up the field leads to a lot of space for attackers, teams like Liverpool, Juventus, Tottenham, and Atletico have used midfield pressing in different ways to help their forwards, all while not being blessed with creative midfield geniuses like Madrid, Napoli, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern have. I guess overall I agree we might not have a tailor made team for Giampaolos possession game, but intensity and urgency should always be there, and the team has lost any of that it had under Gattuso
Balo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28   #263
joyrider
Il Moderati

I’d like to hear his side of the story if it doesn’t contain more time and experience.
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02   #264
Ronin
Milansochist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanMilan View Post
I can understand firing him with a significant and clear upgrade (Spalletti), but I do not getting firing him to hire a bum like Pioli
I can understand replacing him even with Siri

Signature
We practice unpopular culture, that is honour, courage and commitment!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:10   #265
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balo45 View Post
I agree, possession is key and one of the best attributes to his narrow style is quick ball movement, which it sounds like you’re getting at. Milan since allegri has often enjoyed large amounts of possession, but we can all probably agree that it’s been almost drearily slow for almost all of those seasons. Often times, the back line is the one touching the ball the most, not the midfield, and the ball is moving around slowly in the back, when all of us would rather see the team moving the ball around, probing right outside of the box, not at the halfway line.

When teams enjoy large possession but move the ball too slowly, they typically lose methodical attacking plays, and rely on individualism. Gattuso found a good attacking structure where Jack and Kessie would flood the box with late runs, and we were scoring, but also leaking too many goals, and he rightfully changed the system. But for the most part of several seasons, Milan’s attacking play has been slow build, get the ball wide(to Suso and «alhanoğlu/Jack), let them dribble into a double team, and cross the ball to a player in the box. There are numerous big teams who moved the ball too slowly sometimes, PSG and Barcelona often struggle in the champions league with this, and that’s part of a reason I think they have struggled vs lesser, but more organized teams recently.

My big disappointment for GP is that you’re right, properly played, four narrow centermids should always have multiple options, and the ball should be pinged around quickly. And cowardice is important here, because GP has simply not had the balls to play a midfield of say, Bennacer Hakan Jack and Paqueta. That’s on him though, if he’s favoring the wrong players I won’t just give up and say it’s because he didn’t have the right players. The pressing is another issue here, because in a narrow four man midfield, once the ball is lost, the midfield is congested enough that creating turnovers high up the field becomes a lot easier theoretically. And turnovers high up the field leads to a lot of space for attackers, teams like Liverpool, Juventus, Tottenham, and Atletico have used midfield pressing in different ways to help their forwards, all while not being blessed with creative midfield geniuses like Madrid, Napoli, Barcelona, PSG and Bayern have. I guess overall I agree we might not have a tailor made team for Giampaolos possession game, but intensity and urgency should always be there, and the team has lost any of that it had under Gattuso
Agreed with all of this. Giampaolo's teams had never had these issues in the last few years. They used to play with intensity and press hard as well. So it remains a mystery why he couldn't implement that at Milan, while the lack of quick, offensive interplay can be attributed to a lack of the right players for that. Maybe it's something as simple as failing at a big stage. Maybe he was never meant to coach a big team, as commoders kept saying in their infinite wisdom.

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:47   #266
Pipa
Rotten Apple

Since we'll be clowning around for quite some more time, why not just stop pretending to be serious and promote Bonera

At least that way we'll get to laugh and stay miserable the same time
Pipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:35   #267
forward
AC Milan Icon

How long was his contract?

Signature
forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:40   #268
Pipa
Rotten Apple

No idea, does he leave with GP or still at Milan?
Pipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:04   #269
Wild
*Rejuvenation*

Fav. Players: Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba

Fraud.... good riddance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Signature
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:26   #270
joyrider
Il Moderati

It wasn’t nice to know you.
Goodbye
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 13:28   #271
Savo
Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey

Fav. Players: Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

I feel bad for GP... it's clear we weren't winning because the players just weren't smart enough to understand.... "The System"... . Sarcasm aside, GP was awful for us but I hope he does well in whatever mid-table team he finds himself at.

Signature
My favorite goal (the 2nd one) - Kaka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiMVT...eature=related

Maldini... true legend... the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rqnwVBVQE
Savo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 14:19   #272
sheva
World Cup Winner

honestly, a stranger tale than Yonghong Li
sheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 22:01   #273
mleite
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: KakŠ, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo

All the players saying thanks, goodbye, good luck on their IG stories.

Signature
Forza Milan! ❤️
mleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 23:19   #274
Mexes5
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

Doesn't mean shit

Can they not do that privately?
Mexes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 23:30   #275
Curupira
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward View Post
How long was his contract?
2 years

source: https://www.calciomercato.com/en/new...the-deta-71194

Signature
Curupira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 00:34   #276
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleite View Post
All the players saying thanks, goodbye, good luck on their IG stories.
Far from all of them.

Just the ones you'd expect(Ale, Donna, Suso).

Signature
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:30   #277
Buske
AC Milan Legend

This guy will be remembered for not allowing Milan fans to see

---Leao -- Piatek---
-----Paqueta--------

Thank you mister
Buske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:56   #278
mleite
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: KakŠ, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
Far from all of them.

Just the ones you'd expect(Ale, Donna, Suso).
plus Calabria & Theo on twitter

https://sempremilan.com/milan-squad-...-after-sacking

Signature
Forza Milan! ❤️
mleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 13:13   #279
Thenebra
AC Milan Icon

Grazie per tutto?

Didnt know tutto means turning us into shit.

Truly an amazing character.

Signature
Sometimes Maybe Good Sometimes Maybe Shit
Thenebra is offline   Reply With Quote